• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hajime Tabata a "tensai"? (genius)

Is Hajime Tabata a gimmicky wrestler who ended up being a surprisingly good professional trainer?

Tensai_crop_north.jpg

Came for this.

Shahed

Overall I wasn't a fan of of Type-0, Crisis Core or Third Birthday. And from what I've heard and from impressions from people that usually match my own, I probably won't like FFXV (still waiting on all DLC). Tabata's games have never really been well designed overall and have had bad stories.

The one thing I'll give him is I like his endings. Type-0's was pretty good, Third Birthday it was the only remotely good part of the entire games story, and Crisis Core'e ending was one of the best I've ever played. That's especially noteworthy since I already knew beforehand exactly how it would end, but the execution was awesome with the way it ties into a game mechanic

Seiryoden

He's shown himself to be competent and efficient (which are qualities the company desperately needs). Square's real MVP is Naoki Yoshida.

Mesoian

He helped a game in dev hell release...mediocre and unfinished.
His original game free of dev issues was also mediocre.
Not worthy of praise

One and done. He streamlined the FF15 development nightmare into a product that could be sold.

Everyone forgets about the fact that Type 0 was complete shit.

He's a genius in the same way that Inafune is a genius in that he knows how to manage a project to completion.

Famassu

He seemingly brought some changes to SQEX development practices that were sorely needed, but all in all I don't think the end results are quite as good as they should be. There's just something wrong about the storytelling in Tabata's games (even moreso than usually for modern SQEX games) and he doesn't seem to have as keen of an eye on gameplay as other directors at SQEX.

Like.. as shitty a story as FFXIII was, cutscenes usually felt like they ran their courses and the story goes through its motions like it should. In comparison both Type-0 & FFXV feel very disjointed, abrupt and just kind of sucky on a whole different level from a storytelling POV. Cutscenes are just edited in a weird way and the overarching story is missing something. And the gameplay in his games is always kinda unpolished and doesn't quite feel as good as it should. While I enjoy the combat in FFXV just fine & think it can be enjoyable, it still a far cry from something like Kingdom Hearts (II, BBS & 0.2 specifically).

Ahasverus

If FFXV is the case study, then I would say if anyone is a tensai then it's Nomura... but he lacks discipline and commitment. Tabata is no tensai, but at least he can finish a fucking project to some degree. Sure he put his own stamp on FFXV, but most of the ideas were Nomura's.
Nomura? Don't make me laugh. Tenhack, maybe.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
He's not a very good game director IMO. His contribution to FF is about just the weakest game in the series. No, no genius there.

Wagram

He's a developer that was handed a bad situation and made the best thing he could with the time constraints he had. I don't blame him, but he's not a genius.

I blame Square-Enix for the downfall of my once favorite franchise (Sorry Souls owns FF now).

ScrapBrain

I think the team did an admirable job of piecing together something playable and decent from a really broken semi-game and scattered resources, with a hype train already in full force. If you ask someone who was anticipating the game for 10 years, no he's not a genius, because it likely didn't live up to the hype when it was all said and done...but if you ask a businessperson, he may just say yes, because he managed to take a project heavily in the red and make a profit with time constraints and prior expectations from consumers that mostly delivered. I suppose it's a matter of perspective

Famassu

Nomura? Don't make me laugh. Tenhack, maybe.
Nomura is way better than Tabata. It wasn't Nomura's fault that Versus XIII was taking so long. It wasn't his fault that development was moved to PS4 & Xbone that would further delay the completion of the game no matter who'd helm the project. It wasn't his fault that higher-ups decided at some point that they just want a single FFXV, not the Versus Saga that the project had been allowed to expand into by that point, which lead to some level of reboot & re-evaluation of the direction. Tabata was put in charge of hacking & slashing the ambitious multi-story Versus Saga plans into something that could be done with a single game (+ movie & short anime). That's really not some impossible task only Tabata is capable of and he didn't even do a great job at it.

And say what you will about his storytelling, Kingdom Hearts - crazy twists, shitty dialogue & all - is still far more competently told a story than anything Tabata has done. There's a proper beginning, middle & an end, and character story arcs with adequate build-up & pay-offs in the end. Not that the writing itself is good but there's still this basic competency in the structure & editing of most of it that is completely missing from Tabata's work.

Aggelos

Hajime Tabata is the man.

"You'd be appalled," says Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy 15. "Just as a reference, I sleep maybe three hours each day. It's difficult every day...
There is a sense that this is shortening my lifespan. But it's all worth it."

http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Tabata-Final-Fantasy-15

If only Tabata was to do something with the Parasite Eve series on modern consoles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_3rd_Birthday

I don't think Nomura is lacking anything compared to Tabata. I think the Nomura naysayers/haters will be appeased with Kingdom Hearts III and FF7Remake once they land on their table. Nomura ist still a living legend.

KH Island : What is an ordinary day for Tetsuya Nomura ?

Tetsuya Nomura : Instead of a day, I will talk about a year. I work year-round constantly. I take very few breaks whereas I need them more and more. Because, you see, I get older, I am aging. My colleagues do not seem to notice that and continue to give me work with a frenetic pace, as if I was still young and had the energy of old days.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1347900
http://kh13.com/news/tetsuya-nomura-interviewed-by-final-fantasy-dream-at-magic-2017

royox

In my mind, yes. No other game was doing a manly roadtrip and I found it glorious. Great idea, not too shabby execution under the dev hell square has become.

It's a game about a road trip that should have ended after Lucis and everyone there got Rekt by the empire. "LOL everybody died but CHOCOBOS WOOOOO!!!"

LordKasual

Banned
regardless of what anyone thinks of FFXV in the future, Tabata and BD2 have probably paved the future for Square Enix.

i never in a million years would have thought of FF making a jump that big, that fast.

Tabata is a proven force as a producer. He's going to cement his legacy in the company as one of the few men the executives can fire an email to and ask for him to come up and fix a new colossal mess left on their desk.

But he's not going to convince me anytime soon that he's a decent visionary. The man has established quite the pattern of having games under his wing turn out to be disastrous by satisfactory storytelling standards. If I'm ever going to laud any particular individual for being a genius in this industry, it's not going to be him. But I can at least still respect him for the tremendous sacrifices - both physical and mental I would imagine - to get this mess out the door regardless of how it's turned out. Not an enviable job one bit.

Can I blame Tabata for what I perceive to be FFXV's shortcomings? To a certain extent. I will certainly blame him for whatever can be fairly blamed on someone in the position of a director, which likely ranges from the storytelling and characterisation (or lack thereof in many cases) to okaying the torrent of menial fetch and kill quests dotted around the open world to rival your average middling Asian MMORPG.

But the crux of the issue is Square Enix itself. Time after time we're fooled into believing that all is well within Square Enix. I remember back in 2013 when I believed the worst was over. Surely there would be no more excuses for developmental turmoils that engulfed the company so badly during the last generation. Now we're in 2017 and can look at FFXV at this highly compromised product with gaping holes in its story that requires at least two years' worth of DLC to try and patch up. We're also sensing some worrying initial signs that not all is well with the FFVII remake. At least when it comes to management of the development cycle of modern mainline Final Fantasy games these days, I cannot trust this company to do anything but fuck it up in some way while still taking their sweet time with it.

It was not so long ago that I purged this aspect of Gekiranger from my memory. Now it's back. :(

jett

D-Member
Tabata is a mediocre director at best that lucked into the position of supposed savior of the Final Fantasy franchise because there was literally nobody else.

How the fuck do you stumble into directing a mainline Final Fantasy game, like do you literally stumble into the office and SE gives you a 50 million dollar budget unintentionally and everyone just accidentally does what you tell them?

He's a hardworker that delivered a solid but flawed title that released after years of being stuck in development hell.

He also gets an unreasonable amount of hate from some, probably folks who want a person to bash because they are children who don't understand the difficulties of game development or people who get too emotional over their disdain for FFXV.

THE GUY

Banned
He's a hardworker that delivered a solid but flawed title that released after years of being stuck in development hell.

He also gets an unreasonable amount of hate from some, probably folks who want a person to bash because they are children who don't understand the difficulties of game development or people who get too emotional over their disdain for FFXV.
I agree with this.

/thread

Top Bottom