• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it inevitable that Pokemon Gold, Silver & Crystal will come to the 3DS e-Shop

No reason not to, considering wireless trading was sorted out, and more importantly, R/B/Y sold gangbusters on VC.

Sure, they could just update PokeBank to support HGSS, but have you seen the prices for those two games in the secondary market? They're easily the priciest mainline games at this point.

SegaShack

Glad I kept my cartridges for games I loved. Nintendo's emulation video quality is garbage. I have the 20th Anniversary 3DS and after a few minutes had to shut off Blue Version and go back to my Super Gameboy on my CRT, miles better.

MooMilk2929

I'm doubtful that they will, with 3DS on the way out and NX being a bit of a replacement. It would be nice tho. I loved Gold. I got all 251 pokemon on it (With help of game enhancers).

I just finished Red on my 3DS and it has me hungry to play another Pokemon game. But I've already beaten X and Alpha Sapphire and I don't have access to any of the other ones anymore.

Well, I've got this Pokemon Crystal cartridge but no way to play it.

So it would be really great if they could release Gold/Silver/Crystal on the VC with Pokemon Bank compatibility. Because I don't think I'd want to play any Pokemon game without being able to bring my Pokemon into future titles anymore.

Interestingly, a couple of OG GB games, including Tetris, get a color upgrade in a Game Boy Color. Nintendo likely patches those games on the fly since they obviously couldn't account for hardware that didn't exist yet. Nice little feature.

Yep. There's a great article on TCRF listing each supported game and the pallete it will use on a Game Boy Color (mercifully Metroid II is one of them).

The originally planned starting town was called Silent Hills.

Well Peace Walker was inspired by Pokemon so I'll buy it.

My first experience with Gen 2 was an emulation with a TERRIBLE fan translation or something lol. Absolutely loved the games, Crystal is probably my favourite pokemon game I have played.

Shin-chan

I hope they throw soul silver on the eshop. It's far too expensive for a second hand copy of the game and it's the last Pokemon game I was truly enthralled with.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Apologies for the noob question, but what would be a reason to play earlier generations of Pokemon, given that the newer ones include same Pokemon and more? Are certain Pokemon easier to find in older games, and then transferable via Pokebank?

I'm thinking of jumping in with Sun & Moon.

Apologies for the noob question, but what would be a reason to play earlier generations of Pokemon, given that the newer ones include same Pokemon and more? Are certain Pokemon easier to find in older games, and then transferable via Pokebank?

There's some vague truth to your questions, but really this would more just for nostalgia trips than anything. You should be fine jumping straight into Sun & Moon.

Kinsei

Banned

No Pokemon game has every single Pokemon. For example Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (The two most recent games) were missing these Pokemon: http://serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/unobtainable.shtml

After picking my 3DS back up after buying in last year and only playing a couple of games on it I have been having a look through the eShop and the lack of older games really is disheartening and baffling.

This is especially the case with the Pokémon games, I mean we have seen how popular the older games are and the fact that they haven't released them all on the eShop is ridiculous.

I have been trying to make more of an effort with Nintendo systems after getting back into them by playing Pokémon Go and deciding to go back and finish Pokémon Y and since then bought and finished Ocarina of time 3D and just picked up a Link between worlds but its short-sightedness like the lack of content or the high prices that really make it hard to get back in fully. After reading about all the good will towards HG and SS I thought I might pick one up but seeing as the only way to buy it is for around £60-70 on ebay it instantly shut that option down.

Because G/S/C are mediocre, and because you can play the actually good version of those games on a 3DS already. FR/LG weren't playable on a 3DS, so R/B/Y being on it made at least some sense.

You can't transfer Pokemon from HG/SS to the current gen via Pokemon Bank though.

Because G/S/C are mediocre, and because you can play the actually good version of those games on a 3DS already. FR/LG weren't playable on a 3DS, so R/B/Y being on it made at least some sense.

This stance is absolutely stupid. Regardless of whether it's "mediocre", many people enjoy and want to play that version. It's just plain idiotic to say it's "good" that people can't play what they want.

Also, let's not pretend HG/SS are easily accessible anyway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
No Pokemon game has every single Pokemon. For example Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (The two most recent games) were missing these Pokemon: http://serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/unobtainable.shtml

There's some vague truth to your questions, but really this would more just for nostalgia trips than anything. You should be fine jumping straight into Sun & Moon.

Thanks, understood. I think I'll jump in with the latest, and worry about missing Pokemon when (if) I have the rest.

Let's face it, it's all about Pokemon Bank going forward, I won't ever spend any money on a Pokemon game without that functionality.

Top Bottom