• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it likely that Usain Bolt is doping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

In a sport where height is a disadvantage....

He's a cool dude, but he is obviously doping.

Height is only a disadvantage in the start and acceleration phase, a long stride is an advantage during the maximal phase and the deceleration phase as running velocity is the product of stride length and stride frequency. There's a trade off with long strides and frequency: the longer the legs the slower the frequency of stride. Bolt has one of the slower frequencies but by far the longest stride length.

Mesousa

Banned
Height is only a disadvantage in the start and acceleration phase, a long stride is an advantage during the maximal phase and the deceleration phase as running velocity is the product of stride length and stride frequency. There's a trade off with long strides and frequency: the longer the legs the slower the frequency of stride. Bolt has one of the slower frequencies but by far the longest stride length.

Which is why his doping is almost a fact considering how important the two things you listed are in the 100m.

Carl Lewis was 6'2, and also a stone heavier.

The same Carl Lewis who failed multiple drug tests in the 80's?

Jay Sosa

It's not only likely it's a certainty. They all do so honestly I have no problem with it. But I am amazed that he still hasn't been caught.

So do people think doping is going on in all pro sports? For example, do you think NBA payers dope?

Absolutely. Maybe not doping in the classic sense but wherever money is involved people will do everything to gain an advantage.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"Everyone is doping, except for the athletes I like and/or from my country, they would never dope."

Given the enormous advantages modern medicine offers, it seems unreasonable to assume that top athletes are entirely clean.
It works both ways though.
"Everyone is doping, so the athletes I like and/or from my country that got caught doping are still great and untarnished."

It's likely that almost every top athlete has taken something that would be considered a PED at some point in their career, it's the continued and excessive use especially during competition that dope testing limits.

Of course he is. Hell, just statistically speaking, what are the odds that a tiny island with that small of a population could become the mecca of both mens AND womens sprinting? This isn't a primarily skill based sport like soccer where you can be a world power with a small population built on generations of training and skill development. Genetics plays a huge part of it. What is it about Jamaica's location that makes it a favorable place to be born and train to be a sprinter? It's also utterly ridiculous that Justin Gatlin still is allowed to compete. I can't take any accomplishment by him seriously.

Running/sprinting is cheap. Shoes, a coach, a track is all that's required.

THRILLH0

Banned
Which is why his doping is almost a fact considering how important the two things you listed are in the 100m

Doesn't make much sense when you consider his starts are terrible.

Arod, Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, Lance, Marion were all bazillionaire superstars who's sports had every reason to protect them yet they still got caught.

There would be no bigger scalp than Bolt so why has he been able to elude testers all these years while those other guys got caught?

Raonak

Banned
I assume most top athletes are doping. No-one is on fair game, whether it's chemicals, money, or genetics.

I assume most top athletes are doping. No-one is on fair game, whether it's chemicals, money, or genetics.
Yup. Jordan probably did it. Lebron too. And I don't doubt Bolt is any different. People underestimate how difficult it is to perform at a supernatural level for years at a time.

Nodnol

I refuse to believe ALL top athletes are doping. I think there's more than we know about though.

I personally believe Bolt is clean.

Fingers crossed Coe sorts out the IAAF. People like Gatlin shouldn't be allowed anywhere near professional sport.

FStubbs

Arod, Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, Lance, Marion were all bazillionaire superstars who's sports had every reason to protect them yet they still got caught.

There would be no bigger scalp than Bolt so why has he been able to elude testers all these years while those other guys got caught?

Wrong on Bonds. Since baseball worships Babe Ruth they had every incentive to stop Bonds (Hank Aaron is seen as a stat compiler rather than a dynamic slugging force).

abuC

In a sport where height is a disadvantage....

He's a cool dude, but he is obviously doping.

Height is only a disadvantage getting out the blocks which is the weakest part of his run. There are guys in other sports that are tall and blisteringly fast like Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson and LeBron James. I'd imagine that Johnson and Moss could have been olympic class sprinters if that's what they wanted to be, Calvin is 240 pounds and ran a 4.35 40 yard dash.

giphy.gif

phoony17

'Look, someone is successful! Let's assume they did something illegal, underhanded to get where they are today!'

I believe Bolt is clean. IF he is doping then why hasnt he been caught like his teammates like Blake? Doubt he would be taking something different to mask it that Blake couldn't.

People using the Lance argument forget to realise that a lot of people questioned his results. There were quite a few anomalies when it came to his tests. No issues at all for Bolt.

Did anyone on your list who got "caught" actually fail a test? Why is it so hard to believe anybody can elude testers if guys we know juiced were able to?

THRILLH0

Banned
Did anyone on your list who got "caught" actually fail a test? Why is it so hard to believe anybody can elude testers if guys we know juiced were able to?

How many of Lance's samples have been "tampered with"?

You do make a fair point but in each of those cases there were multiple smoking guns whether it was test samples, finacial records or eye witness testimony.

As far as I know there has been literally zero evidence for Bolt doping beyond "he runs fast".

I understand the cynicism but this notion that every single high performance athlete is doping is silly.

All this cynicism is sad.

Until the guy has a positive sample, then I'm in the camp of him just being naturally talented.

Same with most high level performers.

Vitten

All this cynicism is sad.

Until the guy has a positive sample, then I'm in the camp of him just being naturally talented.

Same with most high level performers.

It's understandable though once you realise how widespread the use of doping exactly is.
When all your childhood sporting heroes are linked to doping at one time or another it's hard to keep faith.

I guess ignorance is bliss sometimes to maintain the illusion of the exceptional athlete.

chugen

just let them use anything they want. i want superhumans olympics. would be fun to see crazy speed/jump/throw. and make the people with bionics legs run with them.

clemenx

Banned
The haters in this thread...

He has a freak build, never really seen before for a 100m sprinter.

He was told he couldn't run the 100m at this level due to him taking too long to get out of the blocks since it's more difficult the taller you are. For people who follow the sport he didn't suddenly just burst onto the scene, people were aware of him but more as a high potential 200m runner and someone who could run a straight leg on a 4x100m relay because of the standing start.

The numbers (previous PB in the low 10s to a mid 9s WR a year later) don't tell the whole story. He's always had phenomenal speed once he's up and running, even as a teenager. It was just his start and tweaks to his running technique that needed work and he got that in the year prior to his 1st world records.

Just because all your American sprinters are doping in order to be fast, it doesn't mean everyone else is.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Any good sources about his background? I'd love to read about his youth career and how he struggled with his technique.

I don't care that much - I mean, they're running in a straight line. There's so little to it. With proper, actual sports there's so much beyond the raw physicality that doping would have less of an effect anyway, so I think it's less likely that, say, footballers would risk getting caught to do it.

bionic77

So you know J.J. Watt is doping?
I presume most football players with WWE bodies are on something.

The last race Bolt just won is the first time I have ever seen where he actually looked human. When he won in the Olympics or was setting world records he was just a class apart. He just looked like another world class sprinter at the latest competition.

No idea if he is doping but in track and field you should never be surprised when someone fails a drug test...

JohnsonUT

I love the "freak of nature" defense. As if Lance Armstrong was not a freak of nature himself (32 BPM resting heart rate that could go over 200 BPM when needed, incredibly low lactic acid levels). As if Marion Jones was not a freak of nature. As if Barry Bonds was not a freak of nature.

I don't know if Bolt or any athlete "dopes". I do wish it were more open so the rest of humanity could eventually benefit from them treating themselves as guinea pigs. But calling someone a "freak of nature" as a defense doesn't work when other freaks have broken the rules with banned substances.

The problem with assuming that winning athletes always dope is that that means it's impossible to have any faith in any of them. They are either losers, or dopers. I think it's healthy to be sceptical but not to make a judgement until their is evidence.

Most dopers get busted eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom