• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it weird to still love The O.C as a 27 yo guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

It's a little weird that you feel weird for enjoying a TV show

But no, The OC is amazing and should be enjoyed by all.

jrush64

Banned
One Tree Hill was really dope for the first 4 seasons as been mentioned. Music was really good too. I still prefer the OC though.

Apdiddy

What's weirder for me is I found Kirsten Cohen hotter than the show's female centerpiece Marissa Cooper with Summer smoking them both.

I like Everwood alot, along with OC

You guys remember Everwood? It was like the OC but took place in Colorado?

......actually it's pretty funny >_> it's like the OC, but in Everwood. lol

ryseing

The OC is fucking dope. No shame.

I love teen dramas in general. What's not to like? It's a bunch of ridiculously attractive people starting drama over mundane bullshit.

Skins, early TVD, early Gossip Girl, and OC occupy spots higher than I would like to admit on my favorite TV show list.

What's weirder for me is I found Kirsten Cohen hotter than the show's female centerpiece Marissa Cooper with Summer smoking them both.

Kirsten is best mom.

d00d3n

I haven't rewatched it, but it was fun back in the day. The characters in the Cohen family had some nice banter in the morning while schmearing their bagles. I mostly enjoyed the comedic and romantic aspects of the show. The "drama" was 7th Heaven grade issues trash combined with bad soap opera concepts, though ... I especially liked the last season of the show where they killed off the most boring character, made everything about the banter/romance and gave more screen time to the funny Autumn Reeser character.

I definitely enjoyed it during a rewatch at uni, especially seasons 1 and 4. Though it bugs me that the secondary characters were largely dumped every season (especially the teens) which meant each new season they had to bring in a new enemy, a new love interest for each character, etc. So a lot of annoying characters came in at various points like season 3, and established characters (like welcome to the oc bitch dude, and Anna) ended up being wasted potential, with a lot of time devoted to introducing these new people to the show, forcing them to keep breaking up the main four characters over and over to keep the drama rolling.

jrush64

Banned

You know I was doing a re-watch recently and this was my exact thought. Kirsten is really hot. Something I never noticed in my teen years.

Peltz

OP just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about manly-man culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with women where you can have friends by watching the OC. If you watch the OC as a man, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is every man, after hearing about this, is not going to want to have a bromance with the OP, nor will they invite him over to watch any football games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but OP has alienated an gender with this move.

OP, publicly apologize and stop watching the OC or you can kiss your bromances goodbye.

Nester99

I recall my buddy being so happy 90210 was cancelled so he could have his Wednesdays back....
Your fine op

Yes I am old, it will happen to you soon.....

Nester99

OP just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about manly-man culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with women where you can have friends by watching the OC. If you watch the OC as a man, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is every man, after hearing about this, is not going to want to have a bromance with the OP, nor will they invite him over to watch any football games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but OP has alienated an gender with this move.

OP, publicly apologize and stop watching the OC or you can kiss your bromances goodbye.

Arent you the guy who was all weirded out about being asked out?
I question you're authority

I've never seen it, but I'm going to assume that you get the same reaction I get when I tell people that I like Gilmore Girls.

And there is nothing wrong with liking Gilmore Girls. So there probably isn't anything wrong with liking the OC.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You have been exposed to a classic gaf meme ...

lol, too funny seeing a serious response to it too.

I mean its Beverly Hills 90210 all over again. I'm older than you OP and I will watch re runs of the orig 90210 to this day.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Recent comparisons to The OC from Riverdale (The OC X Twin Peaks) make me super stoked.

The show Riverdale reminds me of the most is The O.C. - another show that took a seemingly worn-out teen-soap formula and reenergized it to create something altogether new... and addictive.

Riverdale-CW.jpg

riverdale.png

TripOpt55

I'm 32 and still love it. Nothing weird about. I'll pop the DVDs in to rewatch from time to time still. I think what really separates this from other teen dramas for me is the sense of humor. Super smart and funny. Made me laugh more than a lot of actual comedies.

jrush64

Banned
Just finished a thorough watch through yesterday night. The show is still so goood.

Season 1 amazing
Season 2 first 16 episodes amazing, real great. Last 10, kinda weak
Season 3 not amazing but also not as bad as I remember
Season 4 absolutely 100% amazing TV. Adding Taylor to the main cast was a genius move. She and Ryan were so great together.

One of my favorite shows and I'm about your age, OP. Great music, great chemistry between the cast members, fun plots, etc.

Also, Sandy Cohen is my favorite TV dad. He seriously is amazing.

The Neogaf thread I've been waiting my whole life for

giphy.gif

The OC is a cornerstone of our post-indie, nerd-centric culture...or what have you. In general, best show of the early 2000's.

Lender

One of my favorite shows and I'm about your age, OP. Great music, great chemistry between the cast members, fun plots, etc.

Also, Sandy Cohen is my favorite TV dad. He seriously is amazing.
Sandy's awesome. How could anyone not like him? Credit also due to peter Gallagher though. He truly brings the role alive.

MickeyPhree

Who cares if its weird? Are you hurting anyone by watching the show?

For the record, I think the show is garbage, but if you like it, watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom