• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Switch potentially becoming the main console for many now?

Mark1

Sorry for the wording of the title (hard to narrow down and be clear at the same time), and that it's another Switch thread. However this is a topic that I'm genuinely keen to share with you guys heere.

Switch has taken off massively this year - a lot more than people expected. But what's been even more bizarre is the frequent number of posters amongst here or elsewhere who have stopped gaming on PS4, Xbone, etc. and started played exclusively on Switch. Why could that be?

Back in the era when Nintendo had another phenomenon with the Wii, it was quickly dismissed by many as a console for the non-gamer or hardcore Nintendo fanboys audiences. So it's not quite the same (yet).

So what has changed between then and now with the Nintendo Switch? The AAA Western Third Party support isn't there yet. It's still relatively weak in comparison to its competitors (although not as much). The online support doesn't seem too promising so far. What gives?

I know it's early to determine how it'll turn out - this new hybrid console feels catered more towards gamers this time round.

Your views and opinions on this matter? Is it the powerful handheld factor? The freedom of choice? Or simply the games on offer? Or was it Zelda?

sirap

I've stop playing Star Dew Valley, Hollow Knight and Xenoverse 2 in anticipation for the the Switch versions.

But that's probably it. The games I want to play on the Switch can't be found on other consoles (and vice-versa)

cheesekao

Considering how PS4 sales doesn't seem to be affected by the Switch, I'd say no. If you mean gaming time between the two, then that's impossible to quantify.

I don't think someone that was going to get a PS4 isn't going to. Maybe it might diverte someone from a secondary system like 3DS or Xbox One

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I've stopped gaming on my switch PS4 pro and Xbox one S for a 20 year old Sega Saturn....

shira

frequent number of posters amongst here or elsewhere who have stopped gaming on PS4, Xbone, etc. and started played exclusively on Switch.
Do you have examples of this? I don't know anyone that sold their PC, PS4 and Xbox to go Switch-only. Games come in waves and Nintendo not having anything for years on Wii U kinda meant they had more AAA games ready in a smaller timeframe

CJY

Banned
They've only sold ~3m units, there are over nearly 100m PS4 + XB1

So no, ~90m+ gamers don't even own a Switch.

My GF and I both have switches, and after MK8D, we haven't turned them on very much. She is using 3DS a lot, and I'm playing PS4 a lot.

No there isn't any evidence in any market the presence of Switch is slowing the sales rate of other consoles.

Switch is a success but not at the expense of MS or Sony

Consider this the PS4 just had it's strongest 1st half of the year in sales since it released during the same timeframe the Switch hit market

I will say this, I live in an apartment with one HD television set and the Switch is a nice means of gaming without hogging the TV.

Xbone and PS4 kind of relegated to streaming services atm, though I still managed to play Nier Automata recently, I might actually sell the PS4 after I get each ending lol.

rtcn63

When a game I want releases, I tend to play it over other games I don't want to play as much regardless of platform.

orioto

Good Art™
Hardware fetishism. When you have a new toy and it's soo shiny and great to use, you want everything on it, it's an obsession! Particularly with portables.

I've stop playing Star Dew Valley, Hollow Knight and Xenoverse 2 in anticipation for the the Switch versions.

But that's probably it. The games I want to play on the Switch can't be found on other consoles (and vice-versa)

Yeah I'll hold off on buying some indies and get them on Switch but that's about it.

So many gigantic AAA games coming out this fall, and Switch is getting none of them. There's zero chance an appreciable number of people who own a ps4, xb1 or PC just refuse to play any of those in favor of the switch.

EhoaVash

Nah. Maybe some old jaded gamers are making the switch but most are just vocal minority

Most people won't be making the switch. Like the biggest consumers ie casual people who buy yarly fifa, cod, battlefield/battlefront, ass Creed games no way is the switch a priority for them. They are already deeply rooted in their system of choice ecosystem

Renna Hazel

Because of the portability factor, many people would simply prefer multi-console games to be on the Switch, which is probably what you're seeing on Neogaf. If those games aren't on Switch(most third party game), people will just get them on PS4/XBO/PC.

Blobbers

I don't think anything's changed. Sounds like anecdotal evidence. Like logically why would a massive swath of gamers who like the experiences the PS4, Xbox and PC provide suddenly become Nintendo only gamers on a console that is in early stages and is still building a library?

The Switch is the perfect console to have with the other consoles and/or PC.

SFenton

For myself personally, if the games I wanted came out on Switch, I'd buy them there, full-stop, with the exception of (big) multiplayer games like Battlefield, since all my friends would be on Xbox.

I am curious, though I don't believe it would actually happen, if others in the general gaming audience would feel the same way.

But, no, especially with the console shortage right now, there's no way this is actually happening.

I don't think so and as much as I love my Switch, I don't think it's exploded anywhere near as places like GAF would lead one to believe. It's doing really well to be sure, but the hype surrounding it still pales in comparison to the Wii back in the day and even the PS4 when that first launched to an extent.

I think a lot of people are probably picking this thing up as a companion device to their Xbox, their PC or their PS4, which is great to be honest. But yeah, if I had to guess, the amount of people this is diverting from other systems is likely minimal outside of Japan.

CJY

Banned
Do you have examples of this? I don't know anyone that sold their PC, PS4 and Xbox to go Switch-only. Games come in waves and Nintendo not having anything for years on Wii U kinda meant they had more AAA games ready in a smaller timeframe

Exactly this. I haven't seen a single instance of anyone going Switch-only. I've seen plenty of people mentioning they're getting/have a Switch in addition to other consoles.

"Diverting" is completely the wrong word for what is happening... I've been a dual-console owner since SNES/Genesis... I've never noticed a diversionary effect that OP mentioned.

Mark1

To clarify my point I don't necessarily mean affecting hardware sales, moreso how often people are playing games these days.

For many, playing massive games on a portable seems more compelling

True Fire

People who are interested in Nintendo will buy a Switch and people who are not interested in Nintendo will not buy a Switch.

Mark1

Because of the portability factor, many people would simply prefer multi-console games to be on the Switch, which is probably what you're seeing on Neogaf. If those games aren't on Switch(most third party game), people will just get them on PS4/XBO/PC.
Pretty much my observation at the moment.

No there isn't any evidence in any market the presence of Switch is slowing the sales rate of other consoles.

Switch is a success but not at the expense of MS or Sony

Consider this the PS4 just had it's strongest 1st half of the year in sales since it released during the same timeframe the Switch hit market

CJY

Banned
I will say this, I live in an apartment with one HD television set and the Switch is a nice means of gaming without hogging the TV.

Could have said the same (but opposite effect) for iPads when they launched and you could watch Netflix on it.

Or Wii U, or PS3/4 remote play.

cheesekao

To clarify my point I don't necessarily mean affecting hardware sales, moreso how often people are playing games these days.

How many is many though? The western market has been far more home console focused for years now. Many people could prefer playing their Switches docked and those who do like carrying it around could be the former 3ds owners.

To answer this point, it's cyclical. There's not a whole lot going on on the PS4 or XB1 at the moment whereas I imagine in Q4, Destiny 2, Star Wars and COD are going to be THE games to own for the majority of gamers, even if/when Mario ends up being better than all of them. And those games aren't on the Switch.

JustJavi

I must admit I haven't turned on my Xbox One or PS4 since the 3rd of March. I love the games I've got for them, but I've always found I have more fun with Nintendo games.

Blobbers

I will say that I've seen a lot of people on GAF say they love the portability factor + AAA and indie game experience on the Switch. It's like the inverse of the PSP and Vita situation, where those were ridiculed for being just gimped versions of their home console counterparts, and the DS and 3DS had the innovative games designed for handhelds.

a handheld more powerful than a Wii U that plays NINTENDO games.

the latter part is whats really important. Nintendo makes incredible games. Most of us know that and thats why we played on dated tech. its all about the games. Now we have a dual handheld/home console that has great looking and substantial games. its a win/win and more people are seeing that.

cant wait til this year is over and the catalog is stupid strong.

CJY

Banned

What are these "massive" games you speak of other than Zelda?

I actually found myself playing more games on the PS4 post-switch than pre-Switch, so it's completely the opposite effect of what you're talking about. I may be an outlier, but something tells me that what you're speaking of doesn't exist.

Yes, there are only a finite number of gaming hours in a week, so therefore, someone playing on their Switch presumably means they're not playing anything else. So in principle, your premise is correct: when you're playing on the Switch, you won't be playing on other consoles... yup.

Bolivar687

Banned
By nature, every console inherently diverts attention from other platforms but I haven't seen any evidence that the Switch is doing this disproportionately more than other systems - quite the opposite. I just left a friend's house where I got to try Zelda, MK8, and Fast RMX but we spent far more time playing Terraria cooperatively together on PSN, him on the TV with PS4 and myself on my Vita. He's also stopped playing Zelda in favor of Yakuza 0 and other titles.

Any remnants of such diversion will surely be extinguished by Fall. There's too many notable games never coming to Switch for it to continue competing with other consoles, if it's even doing so now.

Neoxon

Unless the Switch gets Overwatch & every fighting game that I either currently play or plan to play (SFV, MvCI, DBFZ, Tekken 7, etc.......one of these has a 0% chance of coming to the Switch), my Switch will simply co-exist with my PS4. And to be honest, I'm cool with that. Both systems scratch a different gaming itch for me.

I still play my PS4 more then my Switch so in my case it hasn't. I'm also planning on buying either the Xbox One S or X this holiday. In my case the only reason I buy Microsoft or Nintendo consoles is for their exclusives as most of my friends are on PlayStation so I buy my 3rd party games there.

Usobuko

Banned
The amount is too minuscule to matter and are probably fans of handheld gaming and / or Nintendo in the first place.

Consoles get their audience mostly from AAA western games and the switch is lacking in that department.

Not directly related to the OP, but I intern at a relatively large multimedia company, and a lot of people there pretty much own a Switch. There's one for every living room for people to play during breaks, as well as for live streaming, and I hear people play Mario Kart every now and then.

I thought this was interesting because most of the people working there look like closet gamers, yet the Switch is brought up frequently. It was mentioned a lot too on our Slack, talking about which case is good for the console.

EMT0

Banned
a handheld more powerful than a Wii U that plays NINTENDO games.

the latter part is whats really important. Nintendo makes incredible games. Most of us know that and thats why we played on dated tech. its all about the games. Now we have a dual handheld/home console that has great looking and substantial games. its a win/win and more people are seeing that.

cant wait til this year is over and the catalog is stupid strong.

This is pretty much it. I've wanted the 3DS to go away for so long, and it's put me off playing certain games due to how uncomfortable it is to hold, how ugly it is to behold, and so on. I owned a Wii U and while the graphics were fine, the tablet itself was...questionable, from the resolution down to its featureset and lack of portability, even within one's own home which is where 90% of my Switch playtime will happen. The Switch is an HD console, a fully featured handheld, with the full control scheme of a console. It's what I've wanted from Nintendo from the moment I heard about the Wii U. I can take it anywhere in my house, lay back, and play games unlike a traditional console like the PS4. I'll have a good screen to look at when doing so. And I'll have excellent Nintendo games. It hits all the right notes for me.

Durden77

My PS4 is pretty much just a fighting game box now, which I'm completely fine with and am glad I have it for that. But I pretty much want everything else on the Switch now.

Vena

If its indie, I have effectively stopped buying them on PC unless unavailable elsewhere (and has no announcement for a release) or jives best with PC (some titles are still better with M/K).

Basically good with mobile + Switch, and PC for a few bigger titles or titles not on the Switch like Automata, recently.

hohoXD123

It's the novelty of it which the other consoles cannot match. As you said the library isn't great at the moment, and the novelty aspect will only last so long, by then however games like Splatoon 2, Mario, Pokken, FE:Warriors, Xenoblade (lol) will be out.

I'm less excited about the series which have seen console releases and much more excited about portable-only series like Pokemon. The leap between the 3DS and the Switch is unprecedented, one can only imagine what benefits that will bring to those series.

Skux

Switch sales are paltry compared to the Sony juggernaut. Any gamers 'taken away' from PlayStation are compensated for many times over by new PS4 owners.

Top Bottom