• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Switch potentially becoming the main console for many now?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't see myself buying a Switch until much, much later, but even if I had it now there's no way it could ever be my main console. To me, main console means where I buy the majority of multiplatform games along with exclusives, I could never buy a multiplatform game when I have a PS4 Pro and XB1X available to me and there are only two or three Nintendo games I really care about, so for me the Switch will be just another Nintendo Player, which isn't necessarily a knock against it, but it can't ever be my main platform.

Dr. Mario

Neo Member
I don't see myself buying a Switch until much, much later, but even if I had it now there's no way it could ever be my main console. To me, main console means where I buy the majority of multiplatform games along with exclusives, I could never buy a multiplatform game when I have a PS4 Pro and XB1X available to me and there are only two or three Nintendo games I really care about, so for me the Switch will be just another Nintendo Player, which isn't necessarily a knock against it, but it can't ever be my main platform.
I think the point of this thread is, everyone strongly believes this to be the case before they buy a Switch. Then after, a lot of people find themselves reevaluating the strength of that assertion. I absolutely bought the Switch as a Nintendo only platform.

There have however been in the mean time a few multiplats that I bought on Switch, simply because I appreciate being able to actually sink my teeth into games again and not hurry up through the main quest as fast as possible to finish the game within three months. Going forward, I can see my tethered consoles being used less and less.

Maso

Neo Member
It will definitely be my main console when I get one, just as the Wii U was. The only real exclusive I have on PS4 is Bloodborne. Everything else I have for it ended up coming to PC later on, and I've been out of fighting games as well for awhile, so I got rid of it. I'll get a PS4 Pro down the line as well, but it will be secondary to PC / Switch and might just end up being mostly a FG box.

xrnzaaas

GAF (and now also ERA ;)) was never a good barometer when it came to popularity of various things. Just because a lot of people here adore the Switch and use it as the primary (only?) console doesn't mean it's like that elsewhere. Many people won't even consider it because it doesn't have any major IP's from other platforms. Bethesda releasing Doom and Skyrim didn't change much, they're pretty much the only ones trying with multiplatform AAA titles.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I've played my PS4 for about 25-30 hours since the release of the Switch. Switch has definitely taken over!

manw20

Neo Member
Being older (35) I have the luxury of being able to buy any console and/or game I want because I'm limited by time (wife, 2 houses, 3 children). I therefor prefer to play games on a console-by-console basis, depending on which particular platform is best. Looking back since I got my Switch, for me, this means:

• If the game has best performance on PS4, I play on my PS4 Pro
  • If the game is reasonable comparable on PS4 and Switch, I play no Switch as the portability is a great edge (though in practice I rarely use it)

I never use my Xbox One. I will get the Xbox One X for the sake of it, sure, but I honestly expect to never use it. So for me, I would for the time consider PS4 Pro my main, with Switch a close second. And for me, the performance of the Switch is so good that I'm very close to simply not caring about knowing it could be better elsewhere. For example, I played Doom on PS4, but judging by the videos I have seen of the Switch version, if I had to choose today, I would likely have gone with that version.

The Switch Pro controller is also an awesome controller.

I often find myself in a bit of a gaming paralysis, where there are so many different games I want to play on so many different platforms, that I can't decide what to start and don't end up playing any of them. PC + Switch is probably the sweet spot, but even that is too much for me to keep up with.

Gaming paralysis describes perfectly what I'm experiencing quite often, even though I only own a Switch and PC. Too many games, too many decisions. That's why I end up reading books instead of playing games.

Fuz

Banned
I don't own a Switch, I don't plan to buy one but I'd say PC+Switch is the ideal combination nowadays.

Ben_T

Neo Member
I’m getting a Switch on Black Friday, but my PS4 will remain my main console.

The Switch, like every Nintendo console I owned before, will remain a Nintendo-exclusive machine.

NYCrooner

Considering the limited time I have to game these days, I actually want the Switch to be my only console. I have a PS4, 3DS and Switch but plan to thin that out this year. I will hate missing some future PS4 games but I literally have zero free time and usually just play for about an hour in bed before I fall out.

rhoq

I love Nintendo and I always buy their latest console when it comes out. I've played my Switch way more than anticipated after both my Wii and Wii U sat and collected dust the last few years of their lives. With that said, the Switch is one hell of a great system and I am truly happy to see Nintendo back as a major player, but my PS4 Pro is my main console and I don't see the Switch overtaking that position. My XBox One is the console collecting dust. I haven't touched it in a good 6 months, maybe longer.

cuate

Banned
Switch+PC covers me pretty well. Some occasional mobile game here and there. There's nothing interesting on the other consoles (besides blooborne).

My PS4 is still my main console, mostly for Overwatch. But my Switch is my workout partner whenever I need to just walk. Mario+Rabbids was a perfect game to play on the treadmill or elliptical.

SteffenAH

Neo Member
I have Switch and PC, and for me that's a great combo. If I were to win an Xbox/PS4 I wouldn't say no, but I don't think the investment is worth it. Only game I really wish I could play is Detroit.

PooBone

For me it's the opposite of a "main system." It's for exclusives and the occasional 3rd party game I enjoy enough to play repeatedly, lending itself well to portability. So far Mario's the only thing I've really used it for outside of travel time. I'll buy more when the virtual console is up of course, but that's all i ever see myself doing with it.

Murdoch

Yep. My main console. I've had several PS4's and One Xbox and jibbed them all off to go towards the switch, several games and peripherals. It just suits me down to the ground :)

For me personally, I would have to see the library massively increase to even consider buying one at this point. I'd love to play Odyssey, but the hardware is once again useless to me unless I want to pay $500+ for two games or so just like the Wii and WiiU were.

I'm frustrated by Nintendo's reliance on gimmicks and lack of a great game library for its last few console cycles. It kind of baffles me honestly and I don't think any of their systems since the N64 at best (really SNES for someone as old as me) have been a main console for me. I would love to get back on Nintendo's "side", I grew up with them being synonymous with fun and video games, but their systems just don't cut it for me anymore for a long time.

It would probably be if blizzard care about it, i play a lot of overwatch and destiny on xbox, if wasnt for those two, the switch would probably be my main

Top Bottom