• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch hardware power still enough for you?

Spyxos

The release of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is getting closer and closer. I was actually hoping that the Switch2/Pro would finally be on the market at this point. As we all know, it hasn't even been announced yet. The problem for me is I can't play on the Switch anymore, it just looks old and unattractive(Yes I am a graphics whore).

The only thing I use my Switch for anymore is Ring fit. Otherwise, everything new is played on emulators. How does it look for you guys. Does the performance of the Switch bother you or could you overlook it?

feynoob

Let's put this in a nice way.

There is this pretty girl Infront of you. She is 10/10. Then there is you, who is 5/10.
Then there is this guy who is hunk Chad, with amazing jawlines, 6 ft tall, got 6 abs, and looks like a unit.

Who do you think that girl is going to pick? You or that hunk guy?

That is the answer for your question.

Hint, the switch is you, while the girl is your desire.

Let's put this in a nice way.

There is this pretty girl Infront of you. She is 10/10. Then there is you, who is 5/10.
Then there is this guy who is hunk Chad, with amazing jawlines, 6 ft tall, got 6 abs, and looks like a unit.

Who do you think that girl is going to pick? You or that hunk guy?

That is the answer for your question.

Hint, the switch is you, while the girl is your desire.
10/10 girls are more trouble than they are worth. They'll end up taking you for half your worth, or get you killed trying to fight off other guys. Most will be much happier with a 7/10 girl.

Wooxsvan

i only own a switch light and its mainly for that reason im not going to bother w/ TotK. i enjoyed BotW on my non light before i sold it for about 80 hours but its a game that deserves a tv and comfy full controller experience. moneys too tight atm to warrant another switch purchase regardless of power. maybe in a couple years.

Mr Hyde

I play my Switch all the time. A new powerful model would of course be nice, but I have no issues whatsoever with the current OLED I'm rocking. It still performs great for the types of games I play for it. And if we're talking Nintendo exclusives, they generally come out fine right out of the gate.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
There is a reason most games on the system have a cartoony asthetic.

It's not powerful enough for the graphics I would like to see and unlike most Nintendo fans, the unique 1st party games do not do enough for me to think of the switch as something of good value.

SteamDeck on the other hand is very close to the power and performance i want but is just not quite there either.

Just my opinion ✌️

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
After playing Bayo 3 and watching the Tears of the Kingdom trailers, no.

And honestly, I don’t even want switch 2.0. I want something crazy and unique to Nintendo. When I look back at the previous few systems from Nintendo, I still prefer the 3DS and Wii U, because they were unique.

BabyYoda

Banned
It was never powerful enough for me, I borrowed my brothers one time, only played docked (cos I hate mobile gaming), I thought most games looked awful and dated. The new Zelda looks even worse arguably. I thought as it was developed exclusively for the Switch (and not the WiiU also), it would look markedly improved, not so much, looks so bloody dated. Still, it has a great art direction and the gameplay mechanics are right up my street, hopefully emulating it will be viable sooner rather than later!

blacktout

This doesn't seem like an either/or situation to me. The Switch is showing its age badly and I would love to see a successor, but I still game on my Switch all the time because there's an abundance of great games and its convenient to use.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
My main issue with the Switch are the joycons. I have a wired pro controller but I dunno, something about the Switch makes me want to toss it in a bonfire. The software library is great but yea, I just have this visceral disgust for the console, lol. It sits there and collect dust.

I do agree though that the performance is unacceptable at this point and I generally don't get worked up about resolution or framerate. Nintendo just irritates me.

Just my personal opinion, happy for those who adore the Switch.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It could be better, but yes, it is good enough.

We have come a long way, and the improvement has been diminishing sharply. It's close enough to higher systems that I don't care as much.

If you had asked me that a few gens ago I would have answered differently.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Still? It never was.

Its the sole reason I don't give a flying fuck about that new Zelda trailer, it looks terrible. They are doing that dev team a disservice by forcing them to work on that garbage hardware.

Last edited:

H4ze

No, it fucking blows. But the good part is, that there are enough games which don't need good graphics to be good, like Hades for example. Looks nice, plays nice.

Chastten

Banned
Sure. I mean, I would like a new, more powerful system because I'm a guy and I like shiny new toys, but it does what it needs to do, and does it well enough for me.

It also helps that I'm still rocking a 15 years old 32 inch 720p TV, sitting roughly 2-2,5 meter (6-7ft) away from it, so that basically solves the graphic issue. I'm actually waiting with the TV-upgrade until I retire the Switch because I know a lot of games will look much worse on a bigger 4k TV compared to my old trusty 32 inch TV.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I have no issue with the graphics capability, mores the resolution and frame rate. Tears of the Kingdom looks incredible, but it would be amazing to play in 4K60.

DLSS + 16GB RAM would do wonders for Nintendo.

Sleepwalker

Not really but I can cope thanks to the art direction of most games. Some like Zelda do suffer more when it comes to performance and I would like it to be better sooner rather than later.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ofcourse not. What a ridiculous question. But what games besides Zelda do they need an upgrade for generally speaking

Last edited:

RCU005

I preordered the Zelda OLED Special Edition even though I still have my launch Switch because it’s probably the last one before the new gen.

There’s no way Nintendo won’t start talking about it before the end of the year. It definitely won’t launch soon, but believe it’s pretty likely before Fall next year.

Of course they wouldn’t mention anything before their biggest game releases, and its 100% likely TotK will have a new-gen port (or remaster actually, because Nintendo won’t let go of the chance to charge you again).

I even believe the launch window games will be Mario Kart and Metroid Prime 4 as the strongest titles.

daveonezero

Banned
It’s fine.

In the games I play it’s fine and they don’t play or look much different on higher end machines. Except resolution and frames but again a lot are 60fps 1080p

danklord

Gold Member
After playing on the Steam Deck since launch, I was recently shocked at how good games look on the Switch Oled - even with the lower-end hardware performance. So much so that it made me sell my Steam Deck. I'm sure Tears of the Kingdom will look and play fantastic in handheld mode. It's when you play it on the big screen that's the problem.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
After playing on the Steam Deck since launch, I was recently shocked at how good games look on the Switch Oled - even with the lower-end hardware performance. So much so that it made me sell my Steam Deck. I'm sure Tears of the Kingdom will look and play fantastic in handheld mode. It's when you play it on the big screen that's the problem.
The OLED is absolutely gorgeous. I couldn’t go back to LCD now.

Little Mac

No. Not interested in anything Nintendo until a new console or switch upgrade gets announced. Needs 1080p 60fps minimum. Advance Wars looks dope though.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Again, most switch players play games that don't need or care about a more powerful upgrade. Can't imagine buying an OLED when stickdrift is there when you return from the toilet. Also, who play Doom on a handheld.

FingerBang

No, it's not ok, and not because I expect it to be on par with a PS5. I'd be happy if it was around the power of an Xbox One S.

What they've been able to achieve with that underpowered hardware is nothing short of amazing, but we need more. It's several generations behind.

Freeman76

No, they are a joke imo. Try to be innovative but at the same time are usually years out of date. Zelda looks insanely good but i'd rather wait and see if they bring something out that will run it at more than 17fps and closer to 4k

Top Bottom