• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch hardware power still enough for you?

Gambit2483

We needed Switch 2 last year. This year at the latest would've sufficed.

Just because we got Zelda and it looks decent doesn't mean the hardware isn't still vastly outdated.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Still?

Wasnt even the day I bought it

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

Zannegan

Of course not, but for the performance more than the graphics. I skipped a few games I would otherwise have liked to play (like Hyrule Warriors 2) because the hardware just can't keep up, especially in local multiplayer which is my jam. I don't need amazing visuals, or I wouldn't be playing a portable console/hybrid in the first place, but I would like a playable frame rate.

I'm really hoping the Switch 2 is backwards compatible (and not in a "locked to Switch specs" kind of way either) so I can go back and play through some of those games I passed on. Here's hoping eternal evergreens like Mario Kart 8 convince them to design with BC in mind.

So, yeah, I'll be happy when they finally upgrade, and I'll enjoy the relatively shiny visuals, but what I'm mostly looking forward to is that performance bump. Getting to read all the unironic "I thought gameplay > graphics, hypocrites!" gotchas when it finally is shown off will just be icing on the cake. =P

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Roast me but I'm playing Prime Remastered and that shit looks it could be mistaken for a game released today. I'm content for now. Some devs put in the work and utilise the limited tech as we've seen from Monolith or you have Gamefreak who don't even try.

Yumi

I’ll play Tears of The Kingdom and still enjoy it I’m sure. But I’m really ready for an upgrade.

Playing through Xenoblade 3 was disheartening knowing how much better it could look. Some of the battles have huge frame drops alongside variable resolution spikes where it’s just a blur on your screen, and it’s really a shame.

I care about the quality of the games infinitely more than the quality of the console. And considering Nintendo is still unmatched in exclusives I'm fine with the system not being "powerful" enough

Brigandier

The switch is incredibly outdated and is basically a potato as far as 2023 tech goes.

I can't stand playing on the switch anymore it's just too outdated and them joycons are garbage... I'm not a sucker for graphics but the switch offers nothing anymore other than a low res low fps underpowered console.

It is not. I also refuse to buy any new releases until I hear about the successor and their plans for backward compatibility. Also how they plan to update existing games to take advantage of the new hardware.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I enjoy their games so I'll play it. Would I like it more powerful? Of course. If you say no way I would hate to have smoother clearer games then you're crazy.

scydrex

Give me game with great gameplay and attractive art direction and I’m satisfied. I’m not all that obsess over games having high tech graphics.
The problem is that poor hardware affect gameplay too. Not having a locked FPS or shuttering or lot of pop in or streaming issues.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The problem is that poor hardware affect gameplay too. Not having a locked FPS or shuttering or lot of pop in or streaming issues.
That didn’t stop me from enjoying Bloodborne and Elden Ring and those games also had FPS issues.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really enjoyed Bloodborne on PS4. 🤷 I can’t compare PS4 to Switch. If the Switch had PS4 quality there would be very little to complain about. Crysis and some other games don’t look that great on the Switch. I got a couple ports of games that I wanted to try on there and the downgrade is significant. Nintendo is good at making their games look good on the Switch. Everyone else it’s like toggling the Graphics option in the Menus to the Lowest Setting. Which sucks. I’m replaying Dark Souls Remastered again on Switch and it plays well for what it is. It did crash when I killed the hydra. Red Faction plays well and so do various remasters. Corpse Party, Zero Collection, Capcom Fighting Jam, etc. they all play great. It’s just the other stuff is a huge hit and miss. It almost reminds me of the 360 gen and those days.

Kdad

I've never found its price/power ratio attractive so, no its power is not 'enough' given its price point.

Beechos

If anyone saw the Mario movie theres a scene that shows what a 2d mario game can look like running on modern hardware. Makes me sad thinking about it.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
so you'd rather have 30 fps over 60? ok
I think I rather play a game that excites me for gameplay possibilities than think "Oh no, look that muddy texture!!" *throws joycon thru TV.

I look at the new FF that was showcased, and first I'm like, is this really FF? Then I'm like, is this Forespoken? cause it has the same visual look and overuse of particle effects to the point where I have no idea what's going on. I also saw the new Horizon gameplay and I'm like, I don't need that either, it looked stiff. So yeah, both games give you more options on how your character handles combat, but ToTK gives you WAY more options of how to combat using the world. And that to me, is more exciting.

Would I want it in 4K at 60FPS? sure, but I also want 10m in the bank and to retire.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The release of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is getting closer and closer. I was actually hoping that the Switch2/Pro would finally be on the market at this point. As we all know, it hasn't even been announced yet. The problem for me is I can't play on the Switch anymore, it just looks old and unattractive(Yes I am a graphics whore).

The only thing I use my Switch for anymore is Ring fit. Otherwise, everything new is played on emulators. How does it look for you guys. Does the performance of the Switch bother you or could you overlook it?

Add a poll.

LakeOf9

I think I rather play a game that excites me for gameplay possibilities than think "Oh no, look that muddy texture!!" *throws joycon thru TV.

I look at the new FF that was showcased, and first I'm like, is this really FF? Then I'm like, is this Forespoken? cause it has the same visual look and overuse of particle effects to the point where I have no idea what's going on. I also saw the new Horizon gameplay and I'm like, I don't need that either, it looked stiff. So yeah, both games give you more options on how your character handles combat, but ToTK gives you WAY more options of how to combat using the world. And that to me, is more exciting.

Would I want it in 4K at 60FPS? sure, but I also want 10m in the bank and to retire.
I think FF16 looks amazing (better than Zelda) but I agree with your point in general other than that

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The release of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is getting closer and closer. I was actually hoping that the Switch2/Pro would finally be on the market at this point. As we all know, it hasn't even been announced yet. The problem for me is I can't play on the Switch anymore, it just looks old and unattractive(Yes I am a graphics whore).

The only thing I use my Switch for anymore is Ring fit. Otherwise, everything new is played on emulators. How does it look for you guys. Does the performance of the Switch bother you or could you overlook it?
I bought Switch knowing well that it'd never graphically measure up to the other consoles of that gen and now next. It still doesn't really matter to me anymore. If the output is high enough - I can't complain.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think FF16 looks amazing (better than Zelda) but I agree with your point in general other than that
I didn't say it doesn't look great, it's just that all the particles are pretty but not sure if it's a bit much. It's kinda like the bloom effect in the 2000s, yes, it can add something, but do you have to use so much of it? I think particles are the new bloom.

LakeOf9

I didn't say it doesn't look great, it's just that all the particles are pretty but not sure if it's a bit much. It's kinda like the bloom effect in the 2000s, yes, it can add something, but do you have to use so much of it? I think particles are the new bloom.
I dont disagree, but I think its a false dichotomy

I would rather pick good game design over good graphics, but if a game is giving me both good game design and good graphics, ill pick that no matter how superficial the graphics end up being.

TOTK looks awesome (somehow) but FF16 looks awesomer in terms of game design and then the graphics are just icing on top

In the end both look amazing so it doesnt matter either way

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Nope, not even close. The chip is ancient. Those saying they don't care are just making excuses. All about the gameplay, bla bla bla. Yet they would be first in line to buy a switch 2.0 to and gawk and yell at how great the new graphics are.

Of course gameplay is most important, but graphics are a close second. They are of course the core of what you see. And don't forget graphics still affect core gameplay as well, who wouldn't rather play zelda a 60fps than 20fps?

GenericUser

I have a coworker in the office that owns a zelda mug and a zelda mousepad. Even he thinks that the switch is outdated. Think about that.

bender

What time is it?
Let's put this in a nice way.

There is this pretty girl Infront of you. She is 10/10. Then there is you, who is 5/10.
Then there is this guy who is hunk Chad, with amazing jawlines, 6 ft tall, got 6 abs, and looks like a unit.

Who do you think that girl is going to pick? You or that hunk guy?

That is the answer for your question.

Hint, the switch is you, while the girl is your desire.
161583.gif

Fredrik

No, I’ve been waiting for new hardware for years. Lately I really thought they would sync the Zelda TOTK release with a launch of a new console, but nope. Maybe it’ll happen with Metroid Prime 4 instead.

Emedan

I don’t really get what people expect?! For the console to be handheld the performance have to be kept lower cause of battery and energy constraints. This has always been the case. Also since when was graphics the end all and be all for a game to be good, Nintendo was still in low definition just 2 consoles ago while the rest had gone to HD.

When did people get so focused on this shit. I’ve been mostly a PC gamer my whole life but I have always had to balance price and performance and I still enjoyed the games I played even though I didn’t experience them in the best possible quality of the day.

It wasn't enough at launch. As hard as it is going to be I am going to wait to get Zelda when it inevitably comes out on the Switch 2.

Give me game with great gameplay and attractive art direction and I’m satisfied. I’m not all that obsess over games having high tech graphics.

Most of my fav games this gen and last havnt been high graphical games. That's not to say they don't perform well.

I'm not obsessed with 60fps like many ... But there were plenty of dips in Breath of the wild and the Pokémon. Some of the textures in Pokémon were incredibly low Res too but I don't think that's down to the switch (more of gamefreak being an incompetent developer)

In ready for a next gen switch. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles but it needs games to perform better

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, it's incredibly outdated. I don't need Sony AAA visuals on a Nintendo console, but this thing is actively holding back even Nintendo's own simpler stuff. It's time for an upgrade.

Top Bottom