• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch hardware power still enough for you?

Spyxos

Again, most switch players play games that don't need or care about a more powerful upgrade. Can't imagine buying an OLED when stickdrift is there when you return from the toilet. Also, who play Doom on a handheld.
I played through it on the Switch on the go.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I played through it on the Switch on the go.

You're not the only one. I just can't phantom playing such a game on the switch longer then 5 minutes before my hands starts cramping up seriously. Let alone dealing with all the action on that screen.

No Ill will intended btw

RAIDEN1

The hardware power for the Switch may not be enough for some, but for Nintendo it is still MORE than enough...otherwise they'd have switched it up by now....(pun intended..)

Nope, I couldn't care less about hardware power. I'll buy whatever's next from them day one cause I'm a fan but I'd be perfectly fine if Switch continued on for another five years.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Imagine a BC Switch TV only console with it's lifelong library optimized.

Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nope, I couldn't care less about hardware power. I'll buy whatever's next from them day one cause I'm a fan but I'd be perfectly fine if Switch continued on for another five years.

Do you buy mostly the 1st party titles like Mario Zelda Kirby etc?

fallingdove

It wasn’t enough when it launched. It was weak and shoddily made. I definitely need Nintendo to win me back after my experience with their latest hardware.

Robb

Gold Member
It doesn’t really bother me. I was actually surprised how well it still holds up when playing through the Metroid Prime Remaster recently. That game looks fantastic by any measure!

That said though I would purchase a Switch 2 , or even a Switch Pro, day one. I want new/better hardware for sure.

Do you buy mostly the 1st party titles like Mario Zelda Kirby etc?

First party and indies, yes. Square is the only third party I really care about -- I bought a PS5 for FFXVI but could've lived without it otherwise (hoping that changes soon with some kind of Sony showcase)

flying_sq

Never was, but I think it was partly to keep costs down. Don't have to burn time producing high quality assets during development.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
First party and indies, yes. Square is the only third party I really care about -- I bought a PS5 for FFXVI but could've lived without it otherwise (hoping that changes soon with some kind of Sony showcase)

In that case the switch serves you well enough i reckon.

I really want to play ToTK but 25fps man..

Fbh

Honestly in handheld mode it still holds up pretty decently but in docked mode most games look horrible. Bayonetta 3 was borderline unplayable for me in docked mode because of how muddy and blurry it looked, but in handheld mode it was mostly fine.

Would it be nicer to play Tears of the Kingdom on a console that can actually run it at 1080p and 60fps? Sure. But I'm still going to have a blast with it on the Switch

Mokus

In the last decade or so, I learned that a true Nintendo fan would never complain about graphics.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nice passive aggressive reaction Alexios Alexios you should feel proud

Honestly in handheld mode it still holds up pretty decently but in docked mode most games look horrible. Bayonetta 3 was borderline unplayable for me in docked mode because of how muddy and blurry it looked, but in handheld mode it was mostly fine.

Would it be nicer to play Tears of the Kingdom on a console that can actually run it at 1080p and 60fps? Sure. But I'm still going to have a blast with it on the Switch

Same. Going to have a awesome time just with BotW which I put over 250 hour in. Doesn't mean I'd prefer it to play it at 60fps and higher res.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Just yesterday I played some Skyrim on the Switch, and then went to the same area in the PS5 version to compare. Yeah, PS5 has more foliage and 60 fps, but other than that? I'd be fine playing through the game on the Switch. It's still better than the Xbox 360 version I've spent dozens of hours in.

No Man's Sky is baaaaarely acceptable, but still, I wouldn't shed a tear if I had to play it on the Switch.

More often than not, I'm firing up my Switch instead of my gaming PC or PS5 when I just want to kill some time playing. The low power consumption i.e. running costs offset most of my displeasure with lower quality visuals.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Nice passive aggressive reaction Alexios Alexios you feel proud.

Same. Going to have a awesome time just with BotW which I put over 250 hour in. Doesn't mean I'd prefer it to play it at 60fps and higher res.
I have two modded V1 Switches, so I can just turn up CPU, GPU and mem speeds.

I read somewhere that there's a super inexpensive modchip that'll work with later versions around the corner, like, a couple bucks.

n0razi

Nope.... have a launch switch and plan to play Zelda2 on an emulator due to the terrible performance of the native hardware

hemo memo

Gold Member
Playing mostly portable so i’m not complaining. Would I want a powerful Nintendo console so I can only buy games one console instead of 3? Yes but I don’t see Nintendo winning the power race.

nikos

It was underpowered on day one. I still like the console, especially now that it has an OLED display, but I only play specific games on it.

//DEVIL//

It was outdated for me the second Link started running in the forest in these sub 30 fps with horrible frame pacing and stuttering.

Couldn't even play the game. Will wait for Switch and hopefully backward compatible for 60 fps.

I could emulate it on PC though since I have high-end PC and stuff but I am too lazy.

Astral Dog

Gameplay>Graphics

Zelda TotK was always going to look like a Switch game.no less, no more

That said yeah of course the Switch 2 should be a huge jump in visual fidelity and power compared to the current one, it will be interesting to see , and produce some gorgeous portable games

mrcroket

This thread is the clear example of why new games tend to be so shitty. People don't care about gameplay, design, gameplay experience, art style.... People care about framerate and resolution, and this is really sad.... Maybe I'm getting old, but in the old days people didn't care if the game was running at higher or lower resolution or performance, only if the game had something to offer.

And mind you, I'm not saying that the switch hasn't fallen behind technically, but I'd rather a million times a game made with love for the switch hardware than the tons of generic 4k/60fps games with cloned mechanics and empty worlds.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Last week I was going to do another play through of fire emblem three houses. After an hour or two I had enough of the visuals… the game just looks and runs rough.

John Bilbo

Until the release of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity I was OK with the performance and hardware. That game run like ass though and was an embarrassment to play.

The multiplayer performance of Age of Calamity reminded me of Perfect Dark coop campaign on the N64 and that's fucking nuff said.

Edit: clarity added

Last edited:
Nintendo first party output hasn't interested me for a long time. I'm not their demographic, and that's fine. My Switch is more of a indie machine anyways, so less power doesn't really matter all that much. If it did I'd lean more in on the Steam Deck.

Protocol7

No it isn't and it was already the case the day it was released...
A simple 1080p/60fps with DLSS, would be a good start.
Not asking for a powerhouse, but I mean when you see what the Steam Deck can do (and the ones coming this year, the Asus one, especially, seems really promising (it's if not BS)).
/frustrated

I'm happy with it. I buy games for the gameplay not graphics. I can deal with it if it's low resolution/fps.

If TOTK was on PC (emulation doesn't count) would I buy it there instead? Yeah. But it's not so whatever I don't give a fuck. If Shin Megami Tensei V rumours of a Xbox/PC port are true I'll buy it on PC to replay but the thought of replaying it again on Switch doesn't bother me.

Next console needs to be a significant step up in performance. It HAS to have support for DLSS.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Nintendo don't pursue graphics and powerful consoles, bla bla bla, but in the end you need a powerful hardwares to run ambitious games and better concepts.

Quasicat

I don’t play it for the power, I like having a portable gaming device that I can take with me. It does online pretty well and it’s cheap enough that even my non-gaming friends have one so we can play together and catch up. If I want performance, I’m on the Xbox and PlayStation. Otherwise, my Switch is awesome for Nintendo titles and retro games.

LordOfChaos

Nope. I'm sure Tears will be a great game. But it absolutely looks nearly the same as a 6 year old game that already looked like a 6 year old game when it launched.

The old underclocked TX1 is really holding it back. "Nintendo doesn't need power because of art style" crew is full of crap, their art is hidden under low resolution, lack of AF filtering and AA

Thaedolus

On the one hand I always want more power. On the other hand, I played my Switch more than any other more powerful system I owned (PC, PS4/PS5) from when I got it to when I got my Steam Deck.

So while I want an upgrade, if measured by actual playtime it’s still totally fine. I’m replaying Luigi’s Mansion 3 with my four year old and that game still looks great

Murdoch

Absolutely. I'm all for Nintendo first party and Indies. The switch is still chugging out some pretty decent looking games if you're not into AAA games.

Top Bottom