• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch hardware power still enough for you?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It was weak in 2017 and it's weak now. Nothing's changed. I don't buy Nintendo hardware for the performance.

Whether it's enough for me is irrelevant, I'm going to buy and play Zelda day one and there's not a damn thing that'll change my mind.

scydrex

That didn’t stop me from enjoying Bloodborne and Elden Ring and those games also had FPS issues.
I stopped playing Elden Ring because of that. I waited for the vrr update on PS5 to play it. If you don't care about good for you. Still it's there and you can't deny it. You accept that but and tolerate it but dosen't mean it does not affect gameplay... it does... you just don't give a damn about it. The frame pacing issue on Bloodborne i tolerated it but on Dark Soul 3 no. Still i finished DS3 but it took away some of my enjoyment. Still those games are 30fps locked.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

I don't play 3D games on my Switch Lite - it's mainly used for retrostyle indie games and 2D roguelites. So, for these type of games it's enough for me.

digdug2

The Switch hasn't been powerful enough for me for years. I gave mine to my nephew last year and won't even consider picking another one up until there's a massive power boost.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
power-level-800o.-wait-it%27s-over-9..gif

You guys should worry more about better perfomance than better hardware. So many games these days run like crap and usually Nintendo puts performance first.. with exceptions. ( looking at you BOTW )

Last edited:

BlackTron

The release of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is getting closer and closer. I was actually hoping that the Switch2/Pro would finally be on the market at this point. As we all know, it hasn't even been announced yet. The problem for me is I can't play on the Switch anymore, it just looks old and unattractive(Yes I am a graphics whore).

The only thing I use my Switch for anymore is Ring fit. Otherwise, everything new is played on emulators. How does it look for you guys. Does the performance of the Switch bother you or could you overlook it?

I still use a 47" TV for my Switch, so it's okay. Of course BOTW would be nicer on better hardware no matter the TV but for me it's not a significant issue that holds back the game unless it's a bigger/better display. And admittedly almost everyone has a nice ass TV these days and it's not practical to have 8 displays to match every type of game you have so this is really dragging and not great for Nintendo. The game will look like ass in the majority of living rooms.

It's enough for me.

It's art, and like traditional art I appreciate the medium used. Painters can create beautiful paintings with limited colors, Composers can create beautiful music with limited instruments, and Game Developers can make beautiful games on limited hardware.

I also don't approach games (or life) with a snobby "high standards" mindset. I get a feel for what a platform is capable of and set my expectations properly. I've had a $100 Steak before, that doesn't mean $10 homecooked supermarket Steak is "no longer enough".

That's not to say that I don't have standards, for example when I see a game like Rune Factory 5 looking like a Gamecube title, with ridiculous loading times and framerates to boot, I don't buy them. The developers made a poor product, irrespective of the platforms limitations.

I hope Nintendo never goes the direction that most of the posters in this thread apparently want. I look at devices like the SteamDeck, with all it's negative sacrifices in order to cram that much horsepower into a handheld. No thank you

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I stopped playing Elden Ring because of that. I waited for the vrr update on PS5 to play it. If you don't care about good for you. Still it's there and you can't deny it. You accept that but and tolerate it but dosen't mean it does not affect gameplay... it does... you just don't give a damn about it. The frame pacing issue on Bloodborne i tolerated it but on Dark Soul 3 no. Still i finished DS3 but it took away some of my enjoyment. Still those games are 30fps locked.
giphy.gif

If you want skip game over graphics, you free to do that, I never going to do that.

Last edited:

n0razi

People care about framerate and resolution, and this is really sad.... Maybe I'm getting old, but in the old days people didn't care if the game was running at higher or lower resolution or performance, only if the game had something to offer.

In the old days, games ran at an acceptable performance for the displays they were viewed on. most games were 2D so you didn't have to worry about frames and the low res CRTs allowed games to run at their max potential. In 2023 when most people have 4K HDR displays, it's jarring to see games stuttering along at sub 30 fps and 720p

It's the equivalent of seeing Link to the Past (SNES) or Ocarina of Time running with b&w Gameboy graphics.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Of course it is outdated, but since the games keep coming and they won´t stop coming, somebody once told me that some crazy madmen played Pokemon Blue and Red on 10 year old hardware, while the world was already preparing for the Playstation 2.

Sojiro

I don't mind it still, even though it is definitely showing its age now, but within the next year or two it's time for a successor.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
The Switch hardware bothers me so much that I won't be getting Tears of the Kingdom, as awesome as I'm sure it will be, until it's inevitable port or upgrade patch for the Switch 2.

There's just no way I'm attempting to play an epic, AAA, GOTY contender of a game from one of my favorite franchises on my 77" OLED via 7 year old handheld hardware in 2023. It's just not happening.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
More like two. The Switch is firmly in PS360 territory, it's nowhere near PS4 level.
I still find that insane.

10 years ago the PS3 and Xbox 360 were still the only Sony/Microsoft consoles on the market, and size wise they were absolute units. The Switch is a tiny thin slab.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I still find that insane.

10 years ago the PS3 and Xbox 360 were still the only Sony/Microsoft consoles on the market, and size wise they were absolute units. The Switch is a tiny thin slab.

Sure, but they were old and outdated, the PS4 and XBO were only a few months away. The 360 was released in 2005, 18 years ago. That's forever in tech. And that's the level Nintendo's current console is on.

tmlDan

no, and im done buying their games they all run poorly or look like ass

I think having the PS5 and a new PC has made me hate the switch even more lol

scydrex

giphy.gif

If you want skip game over graphics, you free to do that, I never going to do that.
Where i said i skip a game because of graphics? Did i mentioned graphics? I loved Elden Ring but the random fps made me wait for the vrr update. Is Elden Ring a graphical archivement? I recently played Scarlet Nexus and liked it its not a graphical archivement. I give a shit about graphics. I love From games and souls games but they need to step up their optimization and performance in their games. I played their games because of the world and setting not because of graphics. I'm talking about how hardware can affect gameplay and you talk about graphics where i even said that word my god... i give up with some of you guys. I hope Nintendo go back to the n64 era where their games are 20fps and you will still play them and say it's fine.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

I already have a PS5 and a Xbox for high end graphics though? (🤣) Nah, I don't mind Switch to be underpowered, some time into the future a new Nintendo console might launch with more hardware improvements, but no, as of now I feel like Switch's hardware is enough for portable gaming.

I prefer Zelda, Mario, or games like that to other AAA games honestly, no game can hype me like a new Zelda. 😀

zcaa0g

Banned
FastRMX is the only truly good looking game on the Switch. Those fuckers can code! Would love to have it on PC natively.

I can tolerate it but I much prefer playing on my PS5.

I really wish nintendo would just ditch portability to have hardware on par with current gen. Imagine how much of an upgrade all of their iconic IPs would get. Then again portability is a big part of the reason why the switch sold so well so not going to happen.

Ornoku

Playing BOTW at 4k 120hz is a completely different experience. The switch by todays standards is unacceptable performance wise.

Filben

Yes, because I only play indies or few first party games on it which aren't big on graphics in most instances. For everything else I have the PS5 and PC.

Trilobit

I loved BotW, but I noticed how it really struggled on the Switch. I normally don't care about performance and graphics, so this was a new experience to me.

Two things bothered me the most: 1. How sparse the trees/foliage was. The art design saved it somewhat, but I would have liked three times more grass and such.
2. The pop-ins. The world was wildly immersive, but the lack of draw distance broke it somewhat. I want to be able to stand on a mountain top and see forests far away. RDR2 also struggled with the same on my PS5.

I'll enjoy TotK, but I hope Nintendo really beefs up Switch 2 so that we can have a glorious Zelda on it. With foliage.

BlackTron

The Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube era is still powerful enough for me.
The problem is modern TVs. Those systems would look like crap on a big new set. You'd need more processing power to run them in higher resolution for a new TV.

Switch is lagging behind there, without enough under the hood to render its own games well without looking grainy on the type of TV everyone buys at Walmart for a few hundred bucks.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sure, but they were old and outdated, the PS4 and XBO were only a few months away. The 360 was released in 2005, 18 years ago. That's forever in tech. And that's the level Nintendo's current console is on.
And yet, games still get released for this ancient POS hardware that are more fun to play than anything on the PS4/XBO, so go figure. Maybe fun does not equal power. I mainly use Switch as a handheld though, so maybe your graphical issues aren't applicable to me.

Kappa

Switch hardware was/is fine for being a handheld first. Even the steam deck which is being sold at a loss barely improves and that's cutting edge

Hoddi

The hardware was never great to begin with but I still think it's okay as a handheld. It mostly just needs a bump in docked mode for better handling on 4k TVs. The chances of that happening are slim though.

It's not a system for bleeding edge games anyway, in my opinion. And mobile systems capable of running current ones well are years away from happening.

UnNamed

Banned
More like two. The Switch is firmly in PS360 territory, it's nowhere near PS4 level.
Firmly.
Please remember us how many Doom Eternal or Witcher 3 or Xenoblade 3 or Astral Chain or Crisis Core there are on PS3. And why PS3 games on Switch always have better resolution, texture and effects.

Last edited:

Forth

I have just sold my Switch Oled even with the new Zelda coming , jumping from my PS5 to Switch is just to much of a downgrade for me to care anymore.
The hardware is just trash at the moment and it really needs updating.

Patrick S.

Banned
Firmly.
Please remember us how many Doom Eternal or Witcher 3 or Xenoblade 3 or Astral Chain or Crisis Core there are on PS3. And why PS3 games on Switch always have better resolution, texture and effects.
Don't you think the PS3 could run Doom Eternal at whatever resolution the Switch is running it at?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And yet, games still get released for this ancient POS hardware that are more fun to play than anything on the PS4/XBO, so go figure. Maybe fun does not equal power. I mainly use Switch as a handheld though, so maybe your graphical issues aren't applicable to me.

Of course. But great games are made less great on this console by awful performance and image quality because of how outdated it is. It's barely usable on a 4K TV.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Firmly.

I didn't say it's exactly like a PS3. It's better in some ways (more modern GPU, more RAM) and worse in others. But yes, it's firmly in that territory. It's not halfway between a PS3 and a PS4, it's much closer to the former.

Minsc

Gold Member
Of course. But great games are made less great on this console by awful performance and image quality because of how outdated it is. It's barely usable on a 4K TV.
So I half agree there, yes on 4K TVs, no (to an extent) on the OLED display. The hardware is strong enough to drive the right types of games on the built in OLED display and have an incredible IQ at 60 fps, but certainly many games also fall short and would perform better and be more enjoyable on faster hardware. But what can be enjoyed is fairly substantial, if you're willing to enjoy it as a handheld.

HighPoly

Banned
I don't know anything about the currenlty Switch, but I'm waiting with so much love the next one!
Can you imagine the power of a PS4 FAT with next gen arcthecture, like 6nm, 4000 Nvidia DLSS 3.
Man ! ! ! better graphics than Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 version. Mario Odyssey 2 with more geometry, more effects, particles and resolution!!!

Pelao

It never was.
In the six plus years since I've had it, I've only bought about 15 games. It's basically my Mario Kart machine for when my friends come over on the weekends. The only other games I play with some frequency are Taiko no Tatsujin and Groove Coaster.
Tears of the Kingdom is most likely the last game I will ever buy for the console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom