• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch hardware power still enough for you?

AndrewRyan

The last few games I bought for Switch performed poorly enough to where I'm done with the system except for must have exclusives. I'll get Tears of the Kingdom on launch day with the Game Vouchers deal and cross my fingers they release something else within a year worth $50.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm building a little physical Switch library of stuff like the Final Fantasy games, Shin Megami Tensei, Xenoblade 1-3, Zelda and Smash Bros. The sales in the eshop are quite good, so I get a lot of stuff on sale, like the Deponia series, Timbleweed Park, Doom, Quake, and Alien Isolation. Alien Isolation is actually better on the Switch than on PS4/PS5 because of the antialiasing method the Switch version uses, I kid you not. Oh, and Virtua Racing. Virtua Racing is AWESOME on the Switch!

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
No it’s not enough but it has amazing games that hopefully benefit from new hardware in the future
If the next Switch isn't backwards compatible, I'll probably never buy a Nintendo console again. I'm really not willing to keep a dozen consoles in my house just to be able to play older stuff. Well I guess I could dump the games and emulate them on PC if I'm not keeping the/a Switch around.

Last edited:
Let's see my last few games outside of re4 and calisto were fire emblem engage, crisis core, and octopath traveler 2, all on switch and run fine. Will also get advanced wars next week.

It all depends on the game. I got a steam deck for anything high graphic like Everspace 2 (I love this game) and a ps5 for things like next week's dead island 2.

All I can say is it's fine, but the next switch better have backwards compatibility both physical and digital. I got too many games on it.

Last edited:
It wasn't enough when it came out. I only bought it for exclusives. Would love for Nintendo to compete in every category again someday. Not like it's hard when every console uses off the shelf PC parts these days.

If the next Switch isn't backwards compatible, I'll probably never buy a Nintendo console again. I'm really not willing to keep a dozen consoles in my house just to be able to play older stuff. Well I guess I could dump the games and emulate them on PC if I'm not keeping the/a Swicth around.

I feel the same way. I have such a huge backlog of switch games that will probably realistically take me two years to complete or more and if it isn’t BC then I’m not getting the next system right off the bat to be honest.

Lunarorbit

No. It's been laughable for almost it's entire existence.

Their network and mobile infrastructure continues to be one of the biggest black eyes on gaming. It's beyond embarrassing and is a much bigger issue than it's hardware power.

Jsisto

It’s all about perception. I’m mostly a Nintendo gamer. I own an Xbox one and played Elden Ring last year, but thats about it. I’m not exposed to many “next gen” games, so I never feel like I’m missing out and am perfectly happy with the capabilities of the switch. Frankly, I don’t think I’d care either way. No one makes games like Nintendo, I’ll die on that hill.

TransTrender

Gold Member
On a TV it shows it's age more than handled mode, but handheld mode is still a very satisfying experience. At home I only lament when it gets choppy or ugly dynamic res moments.

UnNamed

Banned
I didn't say it's exactly like a PS3. It's better in some ways (more modern GPU, more RAM) and worse in others. But yes, it's firmly in that territory. It's not halfway between a PS3 and a PS4, it's much closer to the former.
Switch is not a 7 gen console. It's a less powerful 8 gen console. It has the same characteristics as PS4 and XB1 but less powerful. That's why it has no sense to put it in the same era as PS360.
SteamDeck can't reach PS4 performance despite the DX12 hardware and Raytracing, so it's a PS3 like system?

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Don't you think the PS3 could run Doom Eternal at whatever resolution the Switch is running it at?
If you cut shaders and levels and the amount of enemies on the screen, yes, it could run it. But at that point is not a port anymore, is a demake.

Edit:for example, PS3 CPU should be on par with the Switch CPU, IIRC. But it's not that important. PS3 needs more cycles to do operations Switch do natively because it's a more modern hardware. Also Cell should help RSX which is way less powerful than Maxwell and with less memory. So despite the same theorical performance, PS3 would have more struggles

Edit2: the second, but let's say the first problem is the cost of porting. Panic Button didn't have unlimited amount of time and money to port Doom Eternal on Switch. In a ideal world, you have tons of money and you can take 3 years to port your game to any platform. Pratically, you have just one year and 1-2 million dollar budget. In theory you can port Doom on PS3 if you're very skilled and rewrite the game almost entirely. Pratically is a suicide.

Last edited:
It’s all about perception. I’m mostly a Nintendo gamer. I own an Xbox one and played Elden Ring last year, but thats about it. I’m not exposed to many “next gen” games, so I never feel like I’m missing out and am perfectly happy with the capabilities of the switch. Frankly, I don’t think I’d care either way. No one makes games like Nintendo, I’ll die on that hill.

While that makes sense, Switch games should not cost the same as PS5/XOne games and certainly not with a $10 premium to $70. They should be $40 at most

While that makes sense, Switch games should not cost the same as PS5/XOne games and certainly not with a $10 premium to $70. They should be $40 at most
I am not sure what makes you think this at all.. Making something graphically intensive is only part of the game development process. Games still require intensive development, level design, programing, character design and marketing.. None of these things are cheaper for Nintendo game than a PS5 game. In fact, a game like Tears of the Kingdom probably required far more work than any PS game ever. I mean, most 'Graphically intensive' games are generally slapping lipstick on a pig 90% of the time....You are basically saying, shinny equals expensive, even if it is shinny shit..

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Switch is not a 7 gen console. It's a less powerful 8 gen console. It has the same characteristics as PS4 and XB1 but less powerful. That's why it has no sense to put it in the same era as PS360.
SteamDeck can't reach PS4 performance despite the DX12 hardware and Raytracing, so it's a PS3 like system?
When it released it was like a more powerful, portable PS3/XB360. It's portability and small form factor made it a revelation and a gen 8 console.

You could play Skyrim or Witcher 3 on a plane and then carry on playing seamlessly on your TV. That was/ is its wow factor and USP.
@PonyStation4 said:

They can charge whatever they want. If TOTK has deeper and more sophisticated systems and depth, quality and longevity of gameplay than any PS5/Xbox title than why should it be valued less?

Last edited:

E-Cat

Home consoles get evaluated by different metrics than portable consoles. I will accept that Switch is an "8th gen portable console". However, when used as a home console, it is decidedly gen 7.

By the same token, if Sony released a PS6 that was a portable with specs on par with gen 9, it would still be a gen 9 console. Either that, or they don't get to call it a PS6 but a PSP. Categories matter. Otherwise, you're essentially making the argument that a home console can be called the gen that it chronologically belongs to, no matter the specs or its intended use.

UnNamed

Banned
Home consoles get evaluated by different metrics than portable consoles.
This comes from you, it's not a rule and it's not common.
Gens are usually defined by similar tech, sometimes are bits, sometimes are polygons, sometimes are number of cores, etc.

NES and Gameboy are associated with the same gen not (only) because the era they lived in, but also because the architecture was very similar in the way it worked (CPU+PPU).

PCEngine is "often" (not always) associated with the 16bit era because of the colors, scrolling, parallax, sprites, etc.

XBOX and PS2 is a strange case, despite their totally different philosophy, polygonal bruteforce vs shaders, exotic vs PCish hardware, they where both a totally different paradigma from the 32bit era, so they belong to the same gen.

Some people consider Jaguar and 3DO a "pre32bit era", but 3DO had lot in common with Saturn and PSX.

Switch can't be considered in any form a PS360 era when there is a 10years gap in tech and graphics approaches between them.

E-Cat

This comes from you, it's not a rule and it's not common.
Gens are usually defined by similar tech, sometimes are bits, sometimes are polygons, sometimes are number of cores, etc.

NES and Gameboy are associated with the same gen not (only) because the era they lived in, but also because the architecture was very similar in the way it worked (CPU+PPU).

PCEngine is "often" (not always) associated with the 16bit era because of the colors, scrolling, parallax, sprites, etc.

XBOX and PS2 is a strange case, despite their totally different philosophy, polygonal bruteforce vs shaders, exotic vs PCish hardware, they where both a totally different paradigma from the 32bit era, so they belong to the same gen.

Some people consider Jaguar and 3DO a "pre32bit era", but 3DO had lot in common with Saturn and PSX.

Switch can't be considered in any form a PS360 era when there is a 10years gap in tech and graphics approaches between them.
You're right my definition is not universal, but the purity test is simple: If a game that "maxes out" a console looks as though it belongs to the 7th gen, that is the most apt description of that console's capabilities. It doesn't matter if the rendering pipeline or the components used are more modern if the lack in horsepower means no Switch game can ever approach a PS4 title in graphical fidelity. It also works the other way around: I consider Dreamcast as belonging to the same gen as GCN, PS2 and XB, even though it released a couple years earlier. It's less powerful, but a clear jump from the N64/PS1 gen.

I am not sure what makes you think this at all.. Making something graphically intensive is only part of the game development process. Games still require intensive development, level design, programing, character design and marketing.. None of these things are cheaper for Nintendo game than a PS5 game. In fact, a game like Tears of the Kingdom probably required far more work than any PS game ever. I mean, most 'Graphically intensive' games are generally slapping lipstick on a pig 90% of the time....You are basically saying, shinny equals expensive, even if it is shinny shit..

First of all, I never once mentioned 'graphically intensive'. Yet you mentioned it twice and even put it into quotes, despite it not being implied anywhere. Then you follow up claiming I basically said "shinny equals expensive, even if it is shinny shit"
Also, graphics are the most expensive part of making a game and require the most people to do it. Most developers didn't survive the HD jump to the X360 and PS3.

I hope you just quoted the wrong person, otherwise seek mental help.

Last edited:
First of all, I never once mentioned 'graphically intensive'. Yet you mentioned it twice and even put it into quotes. Then you follow up claiming I basically said "shinny equals expensive, even if it is shinny shit"

I hope you just quoted the wrong person, otherwise seek mental help.
No, you wrote an idiotic comment about games should cost less on a Switch than Xbox or PS. The only logical reason you would make such a dumbass statement is because you think graphics are the only thing that is important in price. Otherwise please explain what makes a Xbone or PS game have a higher value than a Nintendo game? "$40 at most" ... And you think other people should seek help?

Last edited:
No you wrote an idiotic comment about games should cost less on a Switch than Xbox or PS. The only logical reason you would make such a dumbass statement is because you think graphics are the only thing that is important in price. Otherwise please explain what makes a Xbone or PS game have a higher value than a Nintendo game? "$40 at most" ... And you think other people should seek help?

Switch games should cost less because they cost less money to make, just like 3DS games were $40. Even the Switch multi platform ports should cost less because its an inferior product. Just because a few standout games exist with a decent budget doesn't mean they represent every game made on a system.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Switch games should cost less because they cost less money to make, just like 3DS games were $40. Even the Switch multi platform ports should cost less because its an inferior product. Just because a few standout games exist with a decent budget doesn't mean they represent every game made on a system.
Prices set for anything are based on value, not time/material/etc.

I want to get the latest Pokemon game but the performance turns me off. I guess I would like stronger hardware but I'm fine with the games as long as they run well.

Chastten

Banned
The annual Fifa, Madden, CoD, GTA and AC games should be free because they make all their money back via MTX anyways.

Xbox and PS5 games should be cheaper than PC games because they're inferior to the PC version.

Yeah, that's a nice little world you live in.

nial

Gold Member
Prices set for anything are based on value, not time/material/etc.
It's not entirely true, development costs have always been a major factor in the price of games. But anyway, how exactly do you establish value for this specific game that should be so prominent in the Switch library that its standard $60 price tag isn't enough for it?
How delusional can you be not seeing that Nintendo did it just because they could get away with it?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It's not entirely true, development costs have always been a major factor in the price of games. But anyway, how exactly do you establish value for this specific game that should be so prominent in the Switch library that its standard $60 price tag isn't enough for it?
How delusional can you be not seeing that Nintendo did it just because they could get away with it?
You're are answering your own question. Because they can get away with it. It's called capitalism and it means that if I have a product you want I can name a price and you'll buy it. Of course, if they sold it at a 100 some people will not buy it.

At the end of the day, if the demand is there the price can meet that demand. It doesn't matter how much it cost them to make, it's only you who thinks that, are you gonna buy it at 60?

Top Bottom