• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki is pretty pissed about Lisa's recent change in DOA

injurai

Banned
My sister is Latin and I'm not

http://nypost.com/2015/03/02/meet-the-bi-racial-twins-no-one-believes-are-sisters/

twins3.jpg

Is her ethnicity really relevant to allegations of skin lightening tho?

well given that there wasn't any apparent (and according to someone here the opposite from promotional art) skin whitening done, the discussion seems to be heading towards a "she isn't black enough" for some.

so i mentioned nationality to point out that there are black/brown people who AREN'T american and don't necessarily share the same physical attributes.

hence the whole "they look white with a TAN" comments.

also, i believe DOA extreme volleyball had a tan system where the girls would get tanned based on what they were wearing.

you guys should see my cousins (half dominican-half german)

It's hilarious/sad how people still get behind Itagaki. And in this very thread despite evidence the white-washed photo is bullshit people still back this tool. Lisa is dark skinned in DoA5. Period. No white-washing was done.

kswiston

I don't know anything about the skin color issue, but Itagaki comes off as real fuckin' creepy talking about his characters getting "old."

Never stop creepin', Itagaki.

I haven't played any of these games since DOA 2. What is getting old? like 40 years old (Tekken style), or 22 instead of 16 or whatever they were supposed to be in the first few games?

ShinMaruku

How is this even possible? Did she stay out of the sun for a thousand years or is she wearing makeup head to toe?

In her case she's Cajun. Her mum is half Cajun so either of them colours can fit. :p

As to Itagaki's bitching, he's bitter. But for some reason people are trading on NInja Gaiden black and forgot DOA4.

And as to them aging. It's 2 years after DOA4. Ayane is now 18 instead of 16.
Yes she's the youngest DOA character, NOT Marie Rose.

Is there a common misunderstanding of what nationality is?

I don't see what's wrong with what he said. If your parents come from Mexico, your ethnicity would be Mexican (I know, I know, it's made up of a bunch of different people such as the Spanish and Indigenous people and it's a lot of mixing now. That would make her Latin because that was the area the Spanish prevailed). Her nationality would be American, because if she was born there, that would be her citizenship and nation of origin. USA is a multi-ethnic nation, but everyone born there is an American (there are exceptions though where people accept other citizenships, but 99% of the case people are American).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
In her case she's Cajun. Her mum is half Cajun so either of them colours can fit. :p

As to Itagaki's bitching, he's bitter. But for some reason people are trading on NInja Gaiden black and forgot DOA4.

Ninja Gaiden 2 wasn't that great either.

Malice215

DOA5 has been out for how long and now yall want to be upset that a fictional character with a not so clear background became a shade lighter?

Isn't there bigger fish to fry like the fact that there isn't a black female character in the game to begin with, or the fact that the one black character that is in the game looks ridiculous?

People need to stop complaining to Itagaki who has nothing to do with the game anymore. I'm sure he's real busy with the latest game he's working on.

Kimaka

I like how every brown character in a Japanese developed game is supposedly based on the ganguro fashion style for some. Or is supposed to be tanned.

Yeah, the ganguro explanation is extra annoying because her makeup doesn't look remotely like it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
People need to stop complaining to Itagaki who has nothing to do with the game anymore. I'm sure he's real busy with the latest game he's working on.

The thing is that Itagaki is known for those games and questions will come and sometimes he does all the talking without being asked about it. He should be really busy with Devil's Third because the last time I saw the game it looked pretty rough.

injurai

Banned
I don't see what's wrong with what he said. If your parents come from Mexico, your ethnicity would be Mexican (I know, I know, it's made up of a bunch of different people such as the Spanish and Indigenous people and it's a lot of mixing now. That would make her Latin because that was the area the Spanish prevailed). Her nationality would be American, because if she was born there, that would be her citizenship and nation of origin. USA is a multi-ethnic nation, but everyone born there is an American (there are exceptions though where people accept other citizenships, but 99% of the case people are American).

What you said is basically what I was pointing out.

Someone was wondering if she grew up in the US. I said her nationality was American. Of course that says nothing about her ethnic heritage, but people are acting like some how stating the fact that she is American comes with some stipulation about ethnicity. That was never said, nor does nationality offer an implication of such.

American covers like All america.

In English, American refers to someone born in the US.

ShinMaruku

Lisa is black as of DOA Dimension. They removed the ambiguous things.

Itagaki's rage over DOA is funny because Shimabori made a much better game than he could ever do.

Character variation has never been better. People can bitch about the clones but they both play completely different than Misty. :p

Is there a common misunderstanding of what nationality is?

the topic is here is Itagaki's rant on what he sees Lisa becoming and stating his vision of what Lisa was suppose to be in his mind early on Lisa did not even have a last name a bio change by Team Ninja does not mean it matches up with what Itagaki had in mind

your point about the definition of Nationality is not questioned being American has little meaning to what we are talking about Team Ninja's idea of Lisa is what the man is upset about

Paracelsus

Misleading comparison aside, her face is better now. Could be more polygons, but her face is more appropriate. Reminds of the Bloodborne character creation, where people complained their black characters were basically white characters with dark skin.

We could go back and forth on color scales...and CSI-enhance the images all day...

I'm just happy that a Japanese video game veteran is even speaking up on the issue at all, whether or not his particular example is correct or not.

Also, I love it how dark-skinned characters are always held to a higher burden of proof than light skinned characters ("she just has a tan"). With the MKX reveal, people were willing to fight you to the death if you dared to describe Tanya as black, but no one would stand in your way if you describe Guile as white.

What you said is basically what I was pointing out.

Someone was wondering if she grew up in the US. I said her nationality was American. Of course that says nothing about her ethnic heritage, but people are acting like some how stating the fact that she is American comes with some stipulation about ethnicity. That was never said, nor does nationality offer an implication of such.

In English, American refers to someone born in the US.

I see, my bad. Yea, having a character as American doesn't say much, unless they go out of their way to make them stereotypical with cowboy boots and yeehaw (Chibodee Cricket from G Gundam is hilarious in the fact that he is from New York, does boxing, but acts like a Texan.). Usually in a lot of media from overseas, they do like to play on the American way of being Gung-ho, which isn't too bad because that just proves we're awesome.

In addition, there is another matter that I never forgive.
They pointlessly forced the heroines to get old. According to my analysis, the failure of DOAD caused it. Kasumi, Ayane had to get old by their crappy fault.

Lol this guy is crazy. How can anyone even take him seriously?

injurai

Banned
the topic is here is Itagaki's rant on what he sees Lisa becoming and stating his vision of what Lisa was suppose to be in his mind early on Lisa did not even have a last name a bio change by Team Ninja does not mean it matches up with what Itagaki had in mind

your point about the definition of Nationality is not questioned being American has little meaning to what we are talking about Team Ninja's idea of Lisa is what the man is upset about

"Itagaki said in a Facebook reply that Lisa is Latin (Latina) so yeah she could be mexican and grew up in the US

why ask questions like this when you could ask WHY IS LISA A SCIENTIST AT THE AGE OF 20! lol DOA makes little sense"

"Her nationality is American."

I was corroborating his word which some people tried to deny, with the in-game facts. I'm not blowing it out of proportion, just some people jumped on me with a seemingly poor sense of what nationality entailed. Anyways, carry on.

edit: In other words I was trying to join in with the point of your post.

Syril

Japanese designers seem have some... preconceptions about skin color.

To illustrate the point, here is Cia, one of the main villains of Hyrule Warriors:

rsz_hyrule_warriors_shia_art_7711.png

She is also the one with the most questionable design - and not because she is The Seductress, but because storywise she was corrupted by evil forces, and her aspect before, as a good girl, was:

hyrule_warriors_cia_master_pack.jpg

Oh boy.

Unfortunately, a lot of Japanese media seems to use darker skin as a visual shorthand for "corrupted by an evil power". Just off the top of my head I can list Akuma, Evil Ryu, and Polnareff wielding Anubis from Jojo.

Quit bashing him I for one don't agree with the smear campaign going against him right now. Dude might be crazy and there's nothing wrong with that. He's still right

ShinMaruku

Really guys? Him bringing up a very real issue of colorism is him being salty?

Given the fact that she's darker in the game than the promo and the man's history points to him being salty. He just picked up on something easy to pick on. Never mind how Zack was portrayed when he was first put out and him going on colourism is funny to me.

RM8

"Itagaki said in a Facebook reply that Lisa is Latin (Latina) so yeah she could be mexican and grew up in the US
To be fair, if this is the case, Latinos are not necessarily dark skinned. The odd thing is that she was changed at all.

abadguy

Banned
Had he choose to make the characters more lifelike rather than plain plastic dolls, it would have been harder for others to change ethnicity just by changing the color of the skin.

But they still look like plastic dolls, just more detailed this time around. Not that it mattered anyway since it was clear that they were never going for "realism" with DOA rather than stylized. Nothing wrong with what Itagaki is saying either way.

Really guys? Him bringing up a very real issue of colorism is him being salty?

A lot of folk here just like to shit on Itagaki for whatever reason. Had someone else brought it up i doubt it would be much of a problem. It's funny people talking about how "salty" he is supposed to be given what became of NG since he left but that's another issue.

Azuardo

Maybe TN felt retconning her skin a slightly lighter colour to a more Latina colour better represented her origins/ethnicity. Is that an issue? I don't think so. They darkened Kasumi's hair. Is that discrimination against girls with bright ginger hair? You either choose to take offense or you don't. I don't think this is a big problem given the skin tone is a lot darker in the actual game than made out. Yes, she is lighter now than DOA4, but if TN feels a lighter colour feels better on her, that's up to them. I don't think it's anything more serious than that, although I understand why it might be taken offensively to some people.

Hubb

Quit bashing him I for one don't agree with the smear campaign going against him right now. Dude might be crazy and there's nothing wrong with that. He's still right

Don't bash him because...? It is hard to take anything he says seriously, and he shouldn't take jabs at other developers if he doesn't want them in return.

We could go back and forth on color scales...and CSI-enhance the images all day...

I'm just happy that a Japanese video game veteran is even speaking up on the issue at all, whether or not his particular example is correct or not.

Also, I love it how dark-skinned characters are always held to a higher burden of proof than light skinned characters ("she just has a tan"). With the MKX reveal, people were willing to fight you to the death if you dared to describe Tanya as black, but no one would stand in your way if you describe Guile as white.

Misleading comparison aside, her face is better now. Could be more polygons, but her face is more appropriate. Reminds of the Bloodborne character creation, where people complained their black characters were basically white characters with dark skin.

i wonder if there is any overlap with players who thought X minority charcter 'just had a tan' with people who think that character creator is totes ok.

Malice215

The thing is that Itagaki is known for those games and questions will come and sometimes he does all the talking without being asked about it. He should be really busy with Devil's Third because the last time I saw the game it looked pretty rough.

He does alot of talking without being asked about it, which is why people fuel it and give it attention, then it becomes news. But the photo he's referencing is a misrepresentation of how she actually looks in the game, and if he want to look at crimes against the world, then start with Zack.

There's other issues with DOA5, but Lisa is not one of them.

Top Bottom