• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's sickening people are showing their true color

Dueck

Banned
Those people were already racists to begin with, bro.
So they existed since the dawn of time? Cool. Thanks for the insight. A lot of them looked pretty young to me, and the fact it's becoming more of a problem means new recruits are a thing. To deny that there's any pushback between the far-left and the far-right creating new members on both sides is ignorant. There are a lot of unstable hot-heads out there dotting the entire political landscape. It probably doesn't take much to motivate them to do something stupid.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah, but it's a case of the chicken and the egg. Those fools marching with torches from Lowe's are having their numbers bolstered because of the fringe on the opposite side demonizing straight white people on social media or with "white privilege checklists" on college campuses, etc... Both sides are creating their own enemies by simply existing.

If people calling you names and "white privilege check lists" on college campuses makes you associate with Neo Nazis and White Nationalist I'm not sure why anyone would have be sad to see you go.

Dueck

Banned
If people calling you names and "white privilege check lists" on college campuses makes you associate with Neo Nazis and White Nationalist I'm not sure why anyone would have be sad to see you go.

I'm not defending any hateful fringe groups, I'm opposed to them too... The fact you're taking this reactionary approach is only revealing your own inability to use reason. I'm merely saying there's bad on both sides, and that is continuing to increase militancy across the board because each radical group continues to fire shots at the other, and impressionable people somewhere in between become agitated by this and pulled in one direction or the other, but whatever, if you're too blinded by your own self-importance to acknowledge the reality of the situation, you're then a contributing factor to it through willful ignorance... Hate should not lead to more hate, but it can.

As much as it pains either to admit it, the left and right fringes have much in common... Like restricting the rights of others based on personally held opinions. Anyone who promotes a message of "with us or against us" is usually only throwing fuel on the fire. I'm not taking a side in this, despite your tone indicating I was. Racists all suck equally.

This is a prime example of how fringe politics works. All I wanted to do is point out the cultural homeostasis we're dealing with right now, and that many factors play a role in it... One camp will mistreat another, the opposite side will retaliate, and along the way, that increases resentment among some caught in the middle as things get more and more out of hand, leading them to potentially pick sides.

HStallion

I'm not defending anyone. The fact you're taking this reactionary approach is only revealing your own fringe beliefs and inability to use reason. I'm merely saying there's bad on both sides, and that the current climate is continuing to increase militancy across the board, but whatever, if you're too blinded by your own self-importance to acknowledge the reality the situation, you're simply a contributing factor to it. I won't leave because I won't let a handful of ignoramuses ruin an otherwise acceptable place.

Its nothing to do with me. I didn't start associating with white supremacists because someone on a college campus called me names or made a checklist. I'm not willfully ignorant of anything and I'd argue those that bend over backwards for hate mongers because people weren't nice to them were just waiting for an excuse.

Say what you will.
Here is a pretty terrible thread and OP.
Everybody defending Evilore is pathetic.
Sexually harassing people is wrong.

Bye everyone.
I'm out.

Dueck

Banned
Its nothing to do with me. I didn't start associating with white supremacists because someone on a college campus called me names or made a checklist. I'm not willfully ignorant of anything and I'd argue those that bend over backwards for hate mongers because people weren't nice to them were just waiting for an excuse.

Most people brush it off, but some will see that and pick up a tiki torch because it can easily be taken as a personal attack, as accusatory over-generalizations tend to be perceived negatively. It's counter-productive to marginalize anyone, because that's how they become radicalized. That's all I'm saying. I will concede many people are only looking for an excuse because of some inner turmoil, but for some it can be a gradual decline. Either way, it's still wrong.

I read an article recently (I think it was from CBS, but I can't remember) about how some neo-Nazi felon wound up with a black probation officer. Over time, he came to respect her and had his hateful tattoos removed and they are actually friends now and he has totally renounced his former life. It's a lot like Ed Norton's character in American History X, but for real. The answers exist in the middle, not on the fringes. I don't see why it's so hard for some people to grasp this. Stuff aimed at making white people feel guilty, or whatever, is going to have the opposite effect of what is intended by creating resentment. Compassion and education are key to limit the number of "bad guys" as much as we can.

HStallion

Most people brush it off, but some people see that and pick up a tiki torch. It's counter-productive. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah they picked up that tiki torch and I can easily say "fuck them". Life got a little hard and they started marching with Neo Nazis. That's a bit of an extreme change of heart and in reality, I don't think it was a change of heart at all but true colors showing themselves now that they're emboldened by so many other vocal and prominent white nationalists.

Dueck

Banned
Yeah they picked up that tiki torch and I can easily say "fuck them". Life got a little hard and they started marching with Neo Nazis. That's a bit of an extreme change of heart and in reality, I don't think it was a change of heart at all but true colors showing themselves now that they're emboldened by so many other vocal and prominent white nationalists.

And that's fair (your "extreme change of heart" comment). I don't disagree with anything you said in that post, honestly. "The herd mentality" is usually found where there are groups of people up to no good. It creates a false sense of confidence.

Lots of bad people were bad before all this craziness, certainly the bold ones who publicly flaunt their hate like a badge of honor and have carried it for some time. But to also deny that anybody simply was pushed too far and fell into a radical belief system is lunacy. It takes a few nudges, sure, but normal people can move to the fringes given enough time, even over things that may seem innocuous. It's all cause and effect. If a person is happy, they're less likely to look for a reason to take out their frustrations on somebody else. If they're unhappy, the opposite is true, and they will just search for a match to light their fuse whether they realize it or not.

It's cyclical, and unfortunately the increasing divide in the "left vs. right" feud is how we've ended up in today's current political climate, and things are only getting worse... I'm not making excuses for anyone who gets offended and decides hate is the answer, and that applies to both sides of the spectrum. It's never the solution to the problem, and usually makes everything worse (my original point several comments ago). Debate increases awareness, and that leads to a better understanding, which creates compassion: the enemy of hate.

I think I was misinterpreted above, which is why I became a little defensive. Anyways, I hope everyone has a nice evening :)

Jeels

I don't associate with ISIS just because fox news, brietbart, our president, most social media platforms, and others shit on my background, race, and religion. Saying minorities are making white people racist and align with Nazis and the kkk is ridiculous.

Especially because talking about racism isn't an attack on white people.

Was there really a problem with KKK and Nazi sympathizers here? Honest q. I missed the last couple of years on this forum, mostly.

I can imagine a few dill weeds who think "antifa" is as bad as those Nazi pricks with torches. But that, to me, is being brain washed by Fox and similar. That's not KKK and Nazi sympathizer. Of course, such people must take responsibility for their opinions; but to me that's not a hopeless case that must be banned, if they follow rules of civil discourse and argument. If they don't, ban them, but if they do, must it be enforced with straight up bans? Such a person is just wrong; you can't say it comes from a place of genuine enmity to black people or Jews. Just the usual, ignorance and anger.

TO BE CLEAR, if one were to say there were some nice people among the tiki torch bearers, that person is a Nazi sympathizer by definition and should be banned permanently on the spot. Yes, that means DJT would be banned... LoL... but most even right wingers wouldn't say that.

Dueck

Banned
Yeah, I think I sort of put my foot in my mouth in the way that I worded things. Sorry, guys. I didn't mean to add drama when we really don't need any. I'll just stop talking about any of this before I make it worse. At this point, if everyone would rather just see me leave for (accidentally) creating the above non-gaming disruption, I will respect the (group or mod) decision for the sake of restoring peace and swallow a ban. No hard feelings to anybody either way.

Top Bottom