• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibbFOm7eadDNom.gif

1,2,5,8 and 10 are those I still need to buy.

123rl

I think Maggie is one of the best characters. She's so important in every scene yet she has never said a word. Watch the older episodes for her and look at her expressions and actions. It's very subtle a lot of the time yet it's so effective.

Then there's stuff like this video, which is one of my favourite Simpsons moments ever. Sorry about the quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBadfYG3mkQ

Natetan

You know, it strikes me as odd how Cape Feare is almost a 1:1 redo of an actual movie. Most of the times cultural references are just a small fragments that make you go "heeey, I know that!".

*I never actually saw the movie Cape Fear.

not reall, what about the shining?

HOMER: Why should I kill my family?
MOE: Uh, they'd be much happier as ghosts.
HOMER: You don't look so happy.
MOE: Oh, I'm happy! I'm very happy! La-la-la-la-la-la-la! See? Now waste your family, I'll give you a beer!

not to rain on yr parade, but im pretty sure simpsons now has roughly the same amount of obscure references to all kinds of pop culture, i think it's more that new simpsons is just so mindnumbingly safe with its process that very little of interest really comes out of the show anymore

Not to mention that today's references feel overly forced and nowhere near as subtle as the classic episodes.

what_rhythm

Neo Member
not to rain on yr parade, but im pretty sure simpsons now has roughly the same amount of obscure references to all kinds of pop culture, i think it's more that new simpsons is just so mindnumbingly safe with its process that very little of interest really comes out of the show anymore

not just pop culture, but tiny nuggets of obscure historical references as well:

(From "Lisa's First Word")
Homer: "Little Lisa. I already started you a college fund at Lincoln Savings and Loan."

Season 14, episode 14; Mr. Spritz Goes to Washington.

Best joke of that episode was clearly;

Marge: Homer, perform CPR!
Homer: I see, a bad moon a-rising...
Marge: That's CCR!

Reminds me of:

Bart Simpson: Who are those guys?
Homer Simpson: That's BTO. They were Canada's answer to ELP. Their biggest hit was TCB. That was how we talked in the seventies. We didn't have a moment to spare.

mxgt

Banned
Some stuff from Homer the Vigilante which is one of the best episodes ever imo.

stamp1.png

Bart: The burglar even took my stamp collection..

Lisa: you had a stamp collection?

stamp21.png

*phone rings*

stamp3.png

Nelson: Stamp collection? HA HA!

----

0011.JPG

CURSE YOU MAGIC BEANS!

----

66.jpg

Kent: Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy sack-beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?
Homer: Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that.
Kent: I see. Well, what do you say to the accusation that your group has been causing more crimes than it's been preventing?
Homer:[smug] Oh, Kent, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes.
Kent: [pause] Well, touche'.
68.jpg

----

Cat Burglar: Hello, Kent. Hello, Homer -- my arch-nemesis.
Homer: Y'ello.
Cat Burglar: You do realize who this is?
70.jpg

Homer: Uh...Marge?

Some stuff from Homer the Vigilante which is one of the best episodes ever imo.

Bart: The burglar even took my stamp collection..

Lisa: you had a stamp collection?

*phone rings*

Nelson: Stamp collection? HA HA!

----

CURSE YOU MAGIC BEANS!

----

Kent: Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy sack-beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?
Homer: Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that.
Kent: I see. Well, what do you say to the accusation that your group has been causing more crimes than it's been preventing?
Homer:[smug] Oh, Kent, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes.
Kent: [pause] Well, touche'.

----

Cat Burglar: Hello, Kent. Hello, Homer -- my arch-nemesis.
Homer: Y'ello.
Cat Burglar: You do realize who this is?

Homer: Uh...Marge?

A great episode. So many good lines. Heavy sack beatings. Lisa playing the jug. Homer strangling the producer. Total classic.

Dilly

Banned
Rewatching Season 3 it made me realize that that new Simpsons episode where Homer invents Grunge makes no sense what so ever based on the Simpsons-timeline.

Not that it would make sense otherwise.

Natetan

Now here's a tip from Blanche you won't regret!

A stranger's just a friend you haven't met... You haven't MEEEEET... STREETCAR!

Ah, simpsons songs are awesome.

AAequal

Banned
LZLxy.png

- Mr. Simpson, this government computer can process over nine tax returns per day. Did you really think you could fool it?

- No, sir. I’m really sorry, sir. An older boy told me to do it.

Homer's neatly packed tax return on the table is nice touch.

smurfx

get some go again
Whether igloo, hut or lean-to Or a geodesic dome There's no structure I have been to Which I'd rather call my home

Darklord

Banned
I just hit season 9. Seeing as the worst episode ever is right on disc one I won't be watching it all. What are the good episodes to watch aside from Homer vs New York?

I just hit season 9. Seeing as the worst episode ever is right on disc one I won't be watching it all. What are the good episodes to watch aside from Homer vs New York?

Lisa's Sax, The Cartridge Family, Bart Carny, Das Bus, Lisa the Simpson, Trash of the Titans, Natural Born Kissers - I think those are the best, I may have missed a couple of good episodes though.

Just looking over the lineup it turns out I actually like most of them, despite the more crazy than usual plot I've got to mention "Joy of Sect", not sure how everyone else feels about it but it's probably one of my favourite episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom