• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAequal

Banned
SXWcr.png

You couldn’t fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine.

When modern Simpsons does it, it feels forced and unneeded. With celebrity cameos, back then they actually had a purpose to the plot of the episode (Aerosmith playing at Moe's, all the MLB stars in Homer at the Bat, Barry White's singing in Whacking Day), now it's just "HEY LOOK AT THIS FAMOUS PERSON! HE'S ON THE SIMPSONS!"
With pop culture references, back then they did obscure stuff and older stuff. Now they just do whatever's recent, and due to the time it takes to animate an episode the references are immediately dated. *glares at The D'oh-cial Network*
Yesterday I watched episode where Simpsons family tries to get Maggie into prestigious pre-nursery school and for some reason Simon Cowell is admissions interviewer there. It really had that forced feel to it. I'm not saying old Simpsons didn't pull these kind of things but at least it didn't feel forced when they did it.

Anth0ny

The old Simpsons had obvious references, but it also had a lot of very obscure classic movie references that I doubt the average viewer would have gotten. Try watching season 3 or 4 with the commentary on the DVDs.

Here's a great side-by-side comparison of movie references, both prominent and obscure.

Part 1
Part 2

Awesome images.

But how could they forget 2001/Deep Space Homer?

Manp

tumblr_lv6a4cPzfb1qfqcmfo1_500.gif

Homer: So I says; "Yeah? You want that money? Come and find it! 'Cause I don't know where it is, ya baloney! You... make me... wanna... wretch..."

"Son, a woman is a lot like a... a refrigerator! They're about six feet tall, 300 pounds. They make ice, and... um... Oh, wait a minute."

that part always kills me.

:)

Shaneus

"Son, a woman is a lot like a... a refrigerator! They're about six feet tall, 300 pounds. They make ice, and... um... Oh, wait a minute."

that part always kills me.

:)
The bit that gets me is the "But you can't stop at one... you have to drink another woman!"

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
unbenanntkuuj6.png

Bart: Mom, my slingshot doesn't fit in these pockets. And these shorts leave nothing to the imagination. These uniforms suck.
Marge: Bart, where do you pick up words like that?
Homer: Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked. I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.
Marge: Homer, watch your mouth!
Homer: I gotta go. My damn wiener kids are listening.

Man, to think what I personally consider "modern" Simpsons started twelve seasons ago... with some exceptions the show has officially sucked longer now than it's been awesome :(

123rl

Series 3 is gold from beginning to end but if I had to pick one episode that is the real definition of classic Simpsons then it's this one. One image and you'll recognise it, remember the episode, story, and this scene.. If you're like me you'll probably be able to recite the whole scene too

colonel-homer-and-lurleen.jpg

jackrubyn

This is my favorite thread in the history of the internet. By the way, does anyone know the name of the episode that starts with Bart and Milhouse sitting in class on the last day of school? And Milhouse asks about Bart's favorite kind of sprinkler?
milhouse-sprinkler.gif

(Related)
Also, I'm looking for an episode that's difficult to describe. The only thing I remember is Bart and Milhose on a raft (I think the whole episode is full of Huckleberry Finn references). Anyway, they encounter a bum who asks them if they want to see a dead body.
Contributing:

DIGNITY-main.jpg

- I sleep in a racing car. Do you?
- I sleep in a big bed with my wife.
- Oh, yeah.

conan.gif

Sit perfectly still. Only I may dance.

you-are-lisa-simpson-2.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
This is my favorite thread in the history of the internet. By the way, does anyone know the name of the episode that starts with Bart and Milhouse sitting in class on the last day of school? And Milhouse asks about Bart's favorite kind of sprinkler?
"Summer of 4 ft 2" from Season 7
Also, I'm looking for an episode that's difficult to describe. The only thing I remember is Bart and Milhose on a raft (I think the whole episode is full of Huckleberry Finn references). Anyway, they encounter a bum who asks them if they want to see a dead body.
"The Boy Who Knew Too Much" from Season 5

smurfx

get some go again
The best part about this scene is that it was made far before he even got his show.
really? i always thought it came after he got his show. even his first set is similar to the one in the episode.

edit: his show was on when he recorded his part. so you are wrong sir. :p

really? i always thought it came after he got his show. even his first set is similar to the one in the episode.

edit: his show was on when he recorded his part. so you are wrong sir. :p

According to the commentary, they created the idea when they were just shipping around the offer of Conan getting a show.
So they just did up a basic layout for his set in the hopes that he would get it.

smurfx

get some go again
According to the commentary, they created the idea when they were just shipping around the offer of Conan getting a show.
So they just did up a basic layout for his set in the hopes that he would get it.
All right, then to decide who's right I propose a race around the world. Meet me at Leicester Square at noon tomorrow. The queen herself shall drop the checkered flag.

Sadsic

The old Simpsons had obvious references, but it also had a lot of very obscure classic movie references that I doubt the average viewer would have gotten. Try watching season 3 or 4 with the commentary on the DVDs.

Here's a great side-by-side comparison of movie references, both prominent and obscure.

Part 1
Part 2

not to rain on yr parade, but im pretty sure simpsons now has roughly the same amount of obscure references to all kinds of pop culture, i think it's more that new simpsons is just so mindnumbingly safe with its process that very little of interest really comes out of the show anymore

blind51de

Banned
I haven't seen anything about the Harvard-graduated writing staff policy in this topic.

Not being an Ivy League enthusiast, due to being in a completely different country, what exactly happened to Harvard's admission requirements for there to have been such a drop over time in writing quality for the show?

You know, it strikes me as odd how Cape Feare is almost a 1:1 redo of an actual movie. Most of the times cultural references are just a small fragments that make you go "heeey, I know that!".

*I never actually saw the movie Cape Fear.

You know, it strikes me as odd how Cape Feare is almost a 1:1 redo of an actual movie. Most of the times cultural references are just a small fragments that make you go "heeey, I know that!".

*I never actually saw the movie Cape Fear.

I had watched that episode like 10 times before watching the movie. My first thought was "Hey, that's Sideshow Bob's theme!". 2 minutes in, I realized I was gonna watch a movie-length live action Simpson episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom