• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata explains the reasons of 3DS's price cut; gives it 4 months to resurrect

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rolf NB said:
You take a half-inch drill and make a hole.

You have only to believe in you who bel...
Where's the "Let's Combine" gif when you need it?

TimeKillr

Father_Brain said:
Lest we forget, 01net originally published the rumor that Vita's RAM had been cut in half, and we know how that turned out. Yeah, most of their PSP2/Cafe rumors turned out to be accurate, but their track record isn't perfect.

The dev kit stuff sounds plausible, but everything else is a tad far-fetched for my taste, especially the analog stick peripheral - there's at least space in the lower right corner where one could fit in an acceptable position, but there's no port nearby that it could attach to.

Hmmmmm.....

The Vita RAM being cut in half was 100% true. Sony just recently reverted it after devs massively complained about it. I know some people who are working on Vita games who I was talking to when the ram cut rumor came out and they all acknowledged it, and were *all* pissed off to no end because they'd been developing assuming specific specs.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It's not like a second analogue stick is a game changer to 3rd party developers on the 3DS anyway.
You won't suddenly see them professing their love of the 3DS from the mountaintops after an add-on is released.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Boney said:
An analog attachment sounds pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

There's no place to hold it and be comfortable.

Plus, I doubt that's what holding developers. They aren't holding back on PSP at all.

I think it's more believable that this source has his facts wrong a little. Nintendo may be developing an analog stick add-on for the 3DS but it may be for internal use only, for devkits and such (as the article points out, there are very few devkits out there.) I think it's more likely Nintendo is going to launch a new 3DS with an integrated second circle pad.

That's if these rumors have a shred of truth, which I'm not convinced they do.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Maybe it's like that iPad joystick for the screen?

pd_fling_ipad_angle_ice_zoom.jpg

An alternative to the cradle re-design would be a peripheral that plugs into the earphone jack (and extends that jack) and places a tiny speaker securely over the 3DS microphone hole. The analog slider input would be encoded into audio.

zruben

Banned
chubigans said:
Maybe it's like that iPad joystick for the screen?

I don't think that something similar would work for the 3ds touchscreen... besides, it will be in a very weird angle to use.

I'm voting this rumor as bullshite.

WillyFive

The 3D-less 3DS will not be a 3DS, it will be marketed as something different, says the article. And of course, the whole second analog stick thing.

antonz

Willy105 said:
The 3D-less 3DS will not be a 3DS, it will be marketed as something different, says the article. And of course, the whole second analog stick thing.
They would have to do a ton of redesign work beyond the 2nd stick. No more 3D means a new screen etc. Would they stick with a 400x240 screen or use the proper 800x480 etc

antonz said:
They would have to do a ton of redesign work beyond the 2nd stick. No more 3D means a new screen etc. Would they stick with a 400x240 screen or use the proper 800x480 etc

It would also be a hell of a lot more money.
They'd have to refit the factories, and considering how much they've already sunk into the 3DS, it just isn't happening.

watershed

Banned
Sounds crazy but this french website has been on the money with the vita and the wii u. Did they also have some inside info on the 3ds that turned out to be accurate? But reading the english translation it seriously sounds made up. Who knows maybe their sources are just that good or maybe this time they've got bad info.

AceBandage said:
It would also be a hell of a lot more money.
They'd have to refit the factories, and considering how much they've already sunk into the 3DS, it just isn't happening.

Hm? Never did them any harm with the DSlite. Apart from when Japan ran out of stock before the DSlite launched.

Anyway I won't disbelieve this until I don't see it. But if this is only part 1 of 5, what revelations will the other parts bring? :eek:

Effect

Nintendo loves their attachments but there is just no place to connect something like this. Nintendo wouldn't come out with a new model that included one because that would be a PR disaster. Something that clearly don't want with how they've tried to cut off any negativity with the price drop by coming up with the Ambassador program. Going up with a new model that had a new control scheme or launching a new model under a new name would fly in the face of what they've just did. It would kill any good well or trust making the Wii U an even harder sell. You could forget about early adopters going for a new model or even the Wii U at that point.

This whole thing doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom