• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata explains the reasons of 3DS's price cut; gives it 4 months to resurrect

Somnid

[Nintex] said:
You can't believe the attachment thing? Nintendo has packed in Pokewalkers, Balance Boards, Zappers, Steering Wheels, Gyrosensor cartrdiges but an analog stick attachment is unbelievable?

Those at least made sense.

Mpl90 said:
If that is what they say,then ok, they're back to the minimum level of reliability... because I simply can't believe the attachment thing.

I was depending on Google Translate.

This information also corroborates some point, we have suggested various other sources. To know that Nintendo was working on a new model for 3DS 2012. A new console that would abandon the 3D positioning, which would probably involve a new design and probably a new name.

[Nintex]

bgassassin said:
I was depending on Google Translate.
Just click on the 'English' button on the bottom of the page. You can download a file with the article in English, rather cumbersome but the translation is much better.

[Nintex] said:
Just click on the 'English' button on the bottom of the page. You can download a file with the article in English, rather cumbersome but the translation is much better.

Thank you. That will come in handy tomorrow.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Chris1964 said:
So they have inside info for Nintendo marketing too? If it has 3D Nintendo will push it.

The fact is that they, in 3DS new commercials, have already started to NOT consider 3D as the only feature of the console... they're downplaying it a bit (not entirely hide it) to concentrate on other features: games and price.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
ShockingAlberto said:
01net is usually reliable and this sounds stupid enough to be true.

That said, it will fail spectacularly because no one develops for attachments.
If Monster Hunter did that would certainly help. As in a theoretical Monster Hunter game...

Maybe Nintendo lowered the price to 169.99 to have a redesign at $189.99 or $199.99?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ShockingAlberto said:

I'm sure developers would love to add in optional support for it, especially for cameras. And if Nintendo integrates it in a further model then it will get a lot of support.

I wonder if past games could be patched to allow it.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AceBandage said:
I have a very hard time believing this.
It's a bit "out there." Is a right analog stick really needed for 3DS though? Couldn't they simply use the touch screen in it's place? This whole debacle with 3DS and now somewhat Wii U and seeing them scrambling, it's like they've lost confidence in their own system. It's like Gamecube all over again, but worse.

MadOdorMachine said:
It's a bit "out there." Is a right analog stick really needed for 3DS though? Couldn't they simply use the touch screen in it's place? This whole debacle with 3DS and now somewhat Wii U and seeing them scrambling, it's like they've lost confidence in their own system. It's like Gamecube all over again, but worse.

Haha no, Nintendo is in a FAR better position right now than they ever were during the GC era.
Not to mention they have plenty of time to right wrongs with the 3DS for the Wii U.

ShockingAlberto said:

If this IS true I'd assume the first revision would have the analog built in, and this is designed as a catch-up for people with the first version. Still insanity but hey.

Lest we forget, 01net originally published the rumor that Vita's RAM had been cut in half, and we know how that turned out. Yeah, most of their PSP2/Cafe rumors turned out to be accurate, but their track record isn't perfect.

The dev kit stuff sounds plausible, but everything else is a tad far-fetched for my taste, especially the analog stick peripheral - there's at least space in the lower right corner where one could fit in an acceptable position, but there's no port nearby that it could attach to.

I forgot they were the ones who said that about Vita's memory.

AceBandage said:
Haha no, Nintendo is in a FAR better position right now than they ever were during the GC era.
Not to mention they have plenty of time to right wrongs with the 3DS for the Wii U.

Exactly. 3DS had no current competition to take advantage of the early problems giving Nintendo plenty of opportunity to rectify those issues, which in turn lets them address those same potential problems for Wii U well before launch.

Mpl90

Father_Brain said:
Lest we forget, 01net originally published the rumor that Vita's RAM had been cut in half, and we know how that turned out. Yeah, most of their PSP2/Cafe rumors turned out to be accurate, but their track record isn't perfect.

The dev kit stuff sounds plausible, but everything else is a tad far-fetched for my taste, especially the analog stick peripheral - there's at least space in the lower right corner where one could fit in an acceptable position, but there's no port nearby that it could attach to.

Did they talked about Vita's RAM cut?
In that case, I was one of the first to not believe in that rumour... like now! :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crude mockup.

yr504.png

I'm going with the clip-on/slide-on angle.

The submission and approval process is described as very costly, time-consuming and often arbitrary in nature.

I thought that Nintendo didn't have any kind of content-based approval process on its last few platforms - why would 3DS be different?

Mpl90

Father_Brain said:
I thought that Nintendo didn't have any kind of content-based approval process on its last few platforms - why would 3DS be different?

And in fact Ubisoft will not release its shovelwa...

*remind Puppies3D*

OH WAIT

Poyunch

EmCeeGramr said:
The thing that's in the middle, two inches away?[/I]
Yup.

Also, I would have to choose between having headphones for my handheld or dual analog control.
No see it would be like those plug in air fresheners. You plug it in but there would still be a port.
UrkOa.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AceBandage said:
Still doesn't solve how it plugs in, though.
I just don't get the logistics of how this would work.

I'm betting Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is cheap nowadays, especially short range.

A better question would be where would the power come from.

Mpl90

...and I know it is scary, but maybe I found how to attach it.
Brand new cradle with analog attachable on the 3DS on the right

Poyunch

Rehynn said:
Sure, especially since I've wanted a modular controller for a while.

As for the article, I'd say it's crap.
That dual shock controller that split into two motion controlled halves sounded pretty awesome.

FoneBone

Mpl90 said:
Some kind of cradle thing is really the only option I can think of. Sounds terrible design-wise, though.

Boney

Banned
An analog attachment sounds pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

There's no place to hold it and be comfortable.

Plus, I doubt that's what holding developers. They aren't holding back on PSP at all.

Beth Cyra

This idea of an attachment is stupid as hell.

Just bring out a new system and let people upgrade.

Developers can put in mulptle ways to control the camara just like they did on the Wii Mote/Nun Chuck and having the Classic Controller.

Father_Brain said:
It isn't. I think they're talking about QA/lotcheck (ie: making sure the game runs and isn't a buggy mess). And in that regard Nintendo standards aren't any more stringent than MS/Sony.

Mpl90 said:

This is the only way its do-able. Why would Nintendo be so stupid as to not put this on the 3DS in the first place?

01net have had some nice scoops in the past but there is just no way in hell this is true. There is nowhere for an attachment to go and nothing for it to hook into, no way for it to communicate with the machine but via wireless or worse, IR. They're 4 million + shipped with their first holiday season to go, they're not going to neuter it next year by releasing a different version of the handheld with an extra analog stick - further alienating early adopters they've just made a grovelling apology to and fracturing the userbase with different SKUs. Basically, the whole thing is nonsense. Unless I'm missing some sort of genius way they can implement it, it's not happening.

Top Bottom