• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata explains the reasons of 3DS's price cut; gives it 4 months to resurrect

Bgamer90

Banned
MrMephistoX said:
The best Mario Kart will always be determined by how old you were at the time of release and whether or not you were either in college dorm or gathered on a couch after school with friends at the time.

In that case then the N64 version should be my fav when actually my fav. version is Super Mario Kart (I was 2 when it came out).

1-D_FTW

wrowa said:
It succeeds because it's a great fun racing game.

It's as much as terrible racing game as Burnout is a terrible simulation racing game.

And, please, don't give me that "Skill doesn't matter in Mario Kart" crap. Play it -- locally or online -- against someone who is really good at the game and you won't see the light of day against him. I thought it was like that until I've played against a good friend of mine online -- he always had a lead over the second place by at least half a lap. And no, he wasn't cheating.

Burnout sucks too. Mario Kart succeeds for reasons that have nothing to do with the racing genre. It's a great party game. And that's what it is. It's the reason non racing fans (or people who like things like Burnout) love it so much. It's also the reason racing fans ignore it. A racing game that has zero sense of speed and punishes you for being in first? Not something racing fans will be playing alone.

Datschge

MDX said:
Brings up a question to why dont hardware manufactures give more time, like two years for publishers and developers to prepare games for launches?
That would give competing hardware manufactures equally much time to come up with something that looks like a better deal to everyone. That's why (don't hurt me) Apple's regular hardware updates are this successful, everyone knows they are coming so nobody is disappointed when they actually arrive, technical shortcomings of current models matter less as they might get fixed in the next iteration, and noone of the developers has a huge beef that they don't get the technical details beforehand as Apple is known (adored/praised/worshipped) for its secrecy. Compared to this Nintendo's (and many other manufactures') problem is that they end up with an incompatible mix of concepts with regard to product presentations.

BurntPork

Banned
sly2thefox said:
So when are we expecting the next Pokemon iteration to be released??
If you mean the main series, most likely September 2012 in Japan and March 2013 elsewhere, going by the recent releases. However, switching to a new system may have thrown that off a bit.

For spinoffs, Pokemon Rumble Blast is releasing on August 11th in Japan and October in NA. There was also a hint that a game planned for a dual release on DS and 3DS will be announced later this year; this might be a main entry, but it's more likely Mystery Dungeon.

Bgamer90

Banned
EloquentM said:
I'd love a 3DS burnout.

I would too.

Heck, no lie, I would pay $60 for a 3DS version of Burnout 3 that's exactly like the PS2/Xbox version (but in 3D).

Sad I know, but I would do it. I love that game so much.

Somnid

1-D_FTW said:
Burnout sucks too. Mario Kart succeeds for reasons that have nothing to do with the racing genre. It's a great party game. And that's what it is. It's the reason non racing fans (or people who like things like Burnout) love it so much. It's also the reason racing fans ignore it. A racing game that has zero sense of speed and punishes you for being in first? Not something racing fans will be playing alone.

Considering how boring it is to go in loops as fast as you can, and foster snobbish elitism for it it's probably better not to consider it a "real" racing game lest it come off with that association.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ulairi said:
The link you posted. Did you read it?
Yes. I know that the smartphone Pokemon game isnt like a full normal Pokemon game. I linked to that article more as a kind of joke because now Pokemon excist on smartphones as well :) And even if this game is maybe ment more as an adveticement game for the Pokemon franchice (after reading the article again i guess this is what he ment with his comment), it is still a playable Pokemon game =)

maeda

Bgamer90 said:
I would too.

Heck, no lie, I would pay $60 for a 3DS version of Burnout 3 that's exactly like the PS2/Xbox version (but in 3D).

This 1000 times! For me it's even bigger, I played only 15% of the game at the most. Sadly EA is too fucking stupid to do that! It's free fucking money! Plus there are no arcade racers on the platform!

Sadist

Bgamer90 said:
I would too.

Those basterds actually teased about the possibillity of a Burnout 3DS :(

Shiggy said:
At least in Europe Rhythm Paradise was a huge bomb. It's the only European DS game for which Nintendo sent out a demo on a card. It's also the only European Nintendo DS game which got a paper sleeve featuring Beyonce later on to give it a better promotion. Still, it was available for 5-10 € shortly after release.

Do you know actual numbers? Since I'm really curious to know how it performed here. In the US it charted in the DS top 20 for months; in Italy I didn't see so many price drops, anyway maybe it meant that they shipped a lot but the game still saw good numbers?

Myriadis

Bgamer90 said:
I would too.

Without the extreme Rubberband AI.That almost ruined the game for me.

Electivirus said:
I don't agree with the "portable gaming is dead" sentiment, but the DS at least has a massive library of great games. The 3DS? Not so much right now.
I've heard that backwards compatibility isn't perfect on the 3DS, but doesn't it also have access to the DS' massive library of games?

At $170, the choice of a 3DS over DSi (and especially the DSi XL) should be clear for new purchasers.

Barrow Roll said:
I've heard that backwards compatibility isn't perfect on the 3DS, but doesn't it also have access to the DS' massive library of games?

At $170, the choice of a 3DS over DSi (and especially the DSi XL) should be clear for new purchasers.
Yeah. I wonder what sort of news stories we're going to get when those 500k+ monthly DS buyers start picking up a 3DS instead after mid August?

dankir

Just release the heavy hitters Nintendo, all will be well then.

I haven't read through this whole thread. If for whatever reason sales don't pick up within 4 months then what? They'll stop supporting it?

dankir said:
Just release the heavy hitters Nintendo, all will be well then.

I haven't read through this whole thread. If for whatever reason sales don't pick up within 4 months then what? They'll stop supporting it?

The title of the thread makes it seem like Iwata is giving the 3DS an ultimatum of four months to resurrect, but after reading what he actually said, this isn't really the case at all. He's pretty much just telling investors to give it four months before they judge anything.

Satchel

Banned
neptunes said:
Let me get this straight, Iwata is hoping people will buy the 3DS purely on the new pricepoint and not because of the software?

If the software was there the price wouldn't have been an issue.

I like the way you asked that question.

Did you actually believe that Nintendo as a company, as a whole, has really changed that much since the NES/SNES era?

Sometimes you need to dig a little deeper.

Remember how Nintendo were going to have the '3 pillars' of Gamecube, DS and GBA? Yeah that 3rd pillar disappeared pretty quick once they got lucky with the DS. Mind you, the Wii wouldn't exist without the DS.

The Wii remote would have simply become another unused add on for the Gamecube, and things would be very different right now.

The 3DS' current position is simply a reflection of Nintendo's 80's arrogance rearing it's ugly head. But today's market simply won't tolerate (nor should it) that attitude because Nintendo is no longer the only game in town.

But at least the moves they've made are a step in the right direction, and if the Gamecube's cycle didn't humble Nintendo some, then hopefully this situation will. If the 3DS doesn't pick up quite a bit by years end, then I expect the Wii U to go through some 'changes' between now and retail release.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Bgamer90 said:
I would too.

In all honesty

3>paradise>revenge

wrowa

1-D_FTW said:
In other words, you fail to understand that every genre has various different sub-genres and that your so-called "racing games" are simply "simulation games".

MrMephistoX said:
The best Mario Kart will always be determined by how old you were at the time of release and whether or not you were either in college dorm or gathered on a couch after school with friends at the time.
Nah! My first Mario Kart was the SNES, yet my favourite is the DS game. Honestly, I find Mario Kart 64 and Super Circuit kinda off. But the tracks that they've reused from 64 in later games are somehow awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
MrMephistoX said:
First Mario Kart for me was Super Mario Kart and yet its probably one of my least favourites. I've never understood why it is consider the pinnacle of the series and I probably never will.

First Mario Kart for me was Super (SNES), but my favorite is 64 (tracks and music in that one were top notch). Of course Super is my second favorite, so take from that what you will.

MrMephistoX said:
No.

Ninjagorilla said:
Nah! My first Mario Kart was the SNES, yet my favourite is the DS game. Honestly, I find Mario Kart 64 and Super Circuit kinda off. But the tracks that they've reused from 64 in later games are somehow awesome.
This is pretty much my experience. DS/Wii are by far my favorites.

TheNatural

My Member!
BGBW said:
First Mario Kart for me was Super Mario Kart and yet its probably one of my least favourites. I've never understood why it is consider the pinnacle of the series and I probably never will.

It hasn't aged well graphically, but people probably like it because of less rubber-band powerups and cheapness, and things like the feather have real advantages or can fuck you if you use them wrong. The last one I played was Double Dash and I thought it was pretty much trash. The 64 version is probably my favorite.

Yeah, my first Mario Kart was the SNES version. My friends and I played it after school a ridiculous amount but that and the GBA version are my least favorites. Give me a 3D version any day of the week. And rubberband A.I. doesn't bother me one bit in an arcade game. I'd rather be racing with people by me than in the lead by myself. I really don't think without the "cheating" AI in games like Mario Kart and Burnout they would be far more boring.

And I to would pay good money for a true Burnout game on the handheld. Not this new cartoony crash mode one coming out, not a Paradise, just a good old fashion Burnout.

Dechaios said:
Thought this was appropriate for the thread...
<snip>Typical rambling Penny Arcade Thread about the 3DS price drop.<snip>

As an avid comic strip fan, I don't know what I dislike more about Penny Arcade: The fact they can barely make a point let alone make said "point" without using profanity (I subscribe to the Jerry Seinfeld standard that resorting to the f word is lazy and just plain "sloppy workmanship" as he put it in an interview years ago) or the fact that it has the most wildly inconsistent character art of any comic out there. Most strips look better as they evolve, this one gets uglier every year. I stopped reading it five years ago so whenever I see a random PA strip posted on Neogaf I'm always taken aback at the odd pseudo non-progression of the drawing style.

But yeah, Tycho tries to be balanced and mature but then that ornery rascal Gabe says "Oh yeah" and tries to be cool but comes off like an ass. What a comedy gold model to go on, so glad we have this strip to "represent" us.

Anyways, I'm not worried. With the new price point, thrifty parents will be buying the system hand over fist going into the holiday months, SM3DL and MK 7 will just fuel that fire. I just hope Nintendo has learned their lesson for the Wii U launch.

Barrow Roll said:

And that choice is...what exactly?

The DSi XL still seems like the DS I'd rather get over the 3DS.

Anyone buying a Nintendo 1st gen Nintendo portable is mad. There is always a better built one coming down the pipe within the first eighteen to twenty-four months.

BurntPork

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:

Anyone buying a Nintendo 1st gen Nintendo portable is mad. There is always a better built one coming down the pipe within the first eighteen to twenty-four months.
But if no one buys the first-gen, then there won't be a second-gen.

And you know Nintendo screwed up when Gaffers are calling 3DS a DS.

bigdaddygamebot said:

So they're less mad than anyone buying any iOS device ever?

People won't be choosing XL over 3DS once they're the same price and Nintendo's campaign starts. I think it's going to surptise some just how quickly and strongly consumers flip.

Somnid

bigdaddygamebot said:

You will not last long with our new Apple overlords.

BurntPork

Banned
EmmanuelMunoz said:
Placeholder, usually if it sounds off in the investors report it is placeholder
They already had a placeholder (Mario Kart). It's the final name. If it were a placeholder, the word "tentative" would have appeared somewhere.

Wolfe

bigdaddygamebot said:

So I'm mad because I want to actually play some of the games released within the first "18-24 months"?

Also I like how you state that as if it's a rule when the DS phat is the only real example of this from Nintendo so far.

Just a question here.

I have an opportunity to sell my system for basically the price it would cost me to buy a brand new one (it happens to be a birthday gift so it's a time sensitive issue)

My question is....

If I buy a 3DS at a store now brand new, is there any confirmation that the screen scratching has been fixed?

If not, then I'm just gonna hang onto my system (as I've already bought two games on it and I'm asuming those are tied to the console themselves).

If it's been fixed in the newest batches of the unit, then I'd probably sell my current system in favor of a a newer version.

Wolfe

lunchwithyuzo said:
DS phat meet GBA darq? :3

Not sure what "darq" is in reference to but I loved the initial GBA lol, sure you couldn't see shit on it unless in direct light but I was already used to that from my Game Boy/Game Boy Pocket/Game Boy Color so it wasn't disappointing to me or anything (plus I stuck an afterburner in it once those were available, so awesome).

I still prefer the design of the original GBA to the SP also, while I love my SP the thing doesn't fit in my hands the best :p

But yeah it does crack me up that since the DS we now have people basically saying things like "first gen nintendo handhelds are always crap, you're so stupid if you don't wait for the revision!"

Duxxy3

MikeE21286 said:
Just a question here.

I have an opportunity to sell my system for basically the price it would cost me to buy a brand new one (it happens to be a birthday gift so it's a time sensitive issue)

My question is....

If I buy a 3DS at a store now brand new, is there any confirmation that the screen scratching has been fixed?

If not, then I'm just gonna hang onto my system (as I've already bought two games on it and I'm asuming those are tied to the console themselves).

If it's been fixed in the newest batches of the unit, then I'd probably sell my current system in favor of a a newer version.

If i remember correctly there were still some systems sold in July that were getting scratched. I would wager they're still out there.

Clipper

BurntPork said:
They already had a placeholder (Mario Kart). It's the final name. If it were a placeholder, the word "tentative" would have appeared somewhere.
It's a placeholder until we get an official announcement of the name in a press release. They don't always put the tentative markers on these things.

It's a stupid name, would turn people off, and is totally out of character both for the series and for Nintendo in general. We'll get a better name closer to the launch for sure.

Think of it like MK9.

Bgamer90

Banned
Wolfe said:
But yeah it does crack me up that since the DS we now have people basically saying things like "first gen nintendo handhelds are always crap, you're so stupid if you don't wait for the revision!"

Well the Game Boy Pocket was a revision of the old Game Boy but that came out about 7 years after the Game Boy's release.

But yeah, doing it is as "stupid" as buying a console during it's first or second year. Like Nintendo is the only one to have revisions (lol)...

BurntPork

Banned
Clipper said:
It's a placeholder until we get an official announcement of the name in a press release. They don't always put the tentative markers on these things.

It's a stupid name, would turn people off, and is totally out of character both for the series and for Nintendo in general. We'll get a better name closer to the launch for sure.

Think of it like MK9.
It was in the press release announcing the price cut. And why would they suddenly change the tentative name? It's a stupid name, but it's final.

Top Bottom