• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata explains the reasons of 3DS's price cut; gives it 4 months to resurrect

Pretty substantial price drop I am really curious how this will affect sales.

I have this feeling that this won't do much for Nintendo. Does anyone else get this feeling that as Nintendo just goes through the same strategy of: New Mario Kart in the Fall, StarFox in the Spring(Or rehashed Nintendo IP, rehashed Nintendo IP) That with consumers already getting this same cycle on the Wii, DS and pretty soon the Wii U that Ninendo has finally done what I didn't think possible and over saturated their own IP's?

I was so wrong about the 3D though. I thought it was going to be a fantastic gameplay element but no matter how slick the effect first is on any game I always end up turning it off after about 5 min.

The last time I got excited about a new Mario Kart game was on Gamecube. I don't see the appeal in that series anymore. The rigged competition aspect probably killed it for me.

xtrasauce said:
The last time I got excited about a new Mario Kart game was on Gamecube. I don't see the appeal in that series anymore. The rigged competition aspect probably killed it for me.
the two Mario Kart games since then have been some of the best selling games in the last ten years though. you may have gone off the brand yourself, but there is little to no evidence that interest is waning yet.

it might be. Mario Kart 3DS may show as much... but i doubt it personally.

Reaction from retailers and third-parties: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/01/3ds_price_drop_good/

Publishers were saying things like, "Even if they are interested in this game, they can't buy it," or "We placed a big bet that the 3DS would sell without question, and are a bit disappointed." These same publishers are now saying "We're extremely relieved" and "This will definitely sell."

For retailers, Iwata admitted that the lower 3DS cost means that retailer profit margins will also go down. While Nintendo cannot do anything about this, Iwata said that retailers will see benefits from the overall expansion of the 3DS business. One retailer from America (Iwata would not share the name) was so pleased that he said "It's like Christmas has come early!"

xtrasauce said:
Ya know what? every single person i introduced to MK:Wii loved it. Sometimes i wonder what certain gamers equate to fun.

1-D_FTW

Axkil aka StabMasterArson said:
Ya know what? every single person i introduced to MK:Wii loved it. Sometimes i wonder what certain gamers equate to fun.

Racing games?

It's my experience people who ordinarily never touch racing games love Mario Kart.

And people who love racing games can't stand the ridiculous rigged nature of it.

There are more people who DON'T play racing games than do. It explains why it's so popular. It appeals to a large audience. And it's easy to understand why those people would love it.

Why can't you understand how people could hate it? Take away the nostalgia level of the characters (which wears off after one iteration) and it's a terrible racing game. It doesn't succeed because it's a good racing game. It's everything else that makes it popular.

BurntPork

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Racing games?

It's my experience people who ordinarily never touch racing games love Mario Kart.

And people who love racing games can't stand the ridiculous rigged nature of it.

There are more people who DON'T play racing games than do. It explains why it's so popular. It appeals to a large audience. And it's easy to understand why those people would love it.

Why can't you understand how people could hate it? Take away the nostalgia level of the characters (which wears off after one iteration) and it's a terrible racing game. It doesn't succeed because it's a good racing game. It's everything else that makes it popular.
By that logic, every game with Mario in it should have great sales. It's popular because a lot of people find it fun.

1-D_FTW said:
Racing games?

Why can't you just like a Kart racing game for what it is. Just cuz i'm a racing game fan does not mean i have to compare every racer i play to Forza or ExciteBots. Just enjoy a game for what it is.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
I have this feeling that this won't do much for Nintendo. Does anyone else get this feeling that as Nintendo just goes through the same strategy of: New Mario Kart in the Fall, StarFox in the Spring(Or rehashed Nintendo IP, rehashed Nintendo IP) That with consumers already getting this same cycle on the Wii, DS and pretty soon the Wii U that Ninendo has finally done what I didn't think possible and over saturated their own IP's?
I've been wondering this myself. I know these are 'evergreen' titles, but I think many of them will be hitting the ceiling and starting to fall very soon. Part of the problem is that Nintendo have cut down to their most successful properties, and they release a ton of iterations. Occasionally they throw out something unexpected (Kid Icarus Uprising and Lugi's Mansion 2, Punch-Out!!, a new Paper Mario RPG) but those games usually bomb from terrible marketing. Whether it's true or not, it feels as though there's less variety on Nintendo machines than there was back in the Gamecube era.

Jokeropia

Krev said:
Part of the problem is that Nintendo have cut down to their most successful properties, and they release a ton of iterations.
What makes you think this? They've been sticking to one iteration per system for their biggest properties, with the sole exception of 3D Mario which got two on Wii. 2D Mario and Mario Kart (the absolute biggest) didn't get more than one iteration on either DS or Wii. (Which is a pretty big contrast to other publisher's biggest franchises.)
Krev said:
Occasionally they throw out something unexpected (Kid Icarus Uprising and Lugi's Mansion 2, Punch-Out!!, a new Paper Mario RPG) but those games usually bomb from terrible marketing.
The first two have not been released yet, the latter two both sold well.

Wolfe

BruceLeeRoy said:
I was so wrong about the 3D though. I thought it was going to be a fantastic gameplay element but no matter how slick the effect first is on any game I always end up turning it off after about 5 min.

It's actually been the exact opposite for me, I went into it expecting the 3D to feel super gimmicky and to have issues while looking from the 3D screen to the non 3D screen. Then I tried my friends out with Pilot Wings and I was hooked. I now play all of my 3DS games with the 3D cranked up to max at all times.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dechaios said:
Thought this was appropriate for the thread...
AU62z.jpg

Or hey, why buy any PC games when you can play one of the 2,000 or so free to play games.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244468

What's the point?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
typo said:
Yes, that's exactly why we support iOS.
As long as popular system selling games like pokemon are on a dedicated gaming handhelds IOS will never completely take over the handheld market.

Scarecrow said:
Because, on one platform, you can pay for great PC games AND get a bunch of free games if you want. The DS and 3DS store don't have the breadth of downloadable games the PC or iOS has.
And as long as Nintendo requires ESRB ratings on all its downloadable games, it never will.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jokeropia said:
What makes you think this? They've been sticking to one iteration per system for their biggest properties, with the sole exception of 3D Mario which got two on Wii.
Sure, but they're getting to a point where their major franchises are largely the same on their handheld and console, and they are released pretty close to each other.
The first two have not been released yet, the latter two both sold well.
Three of them hadn't been released yet, since I was referring to Paper Mario 3DS.
But really, you don't have to look very far to see that when they throw something different out, it usually bombs. Excitebots, Sin & Punishment 2, Wario Land Shake and Disaster are examples.

Bgamer90

Banned
POWERSPHERE said:
God, are you losers actually debating iOS vs 3DS?

?

Why is that a wrong thing to do in a thread about a modern day portable gaming system getting a price drop?

It wasn't as if people weren't bringing up any good points during the "debate".

Krev said:
Sure, but they're getting to a point where their major franchises are largely the same on their handheld and console, and they are released pretty close to each other.
Super Mario Sunshine (2002)
Super Mario 64 DS (2004)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Super Mario 3D Land (2011)

Mario Kart Super Circuit (2001)
Mario Kart Double Dash!! (2003)
Mario Kart DS (2005)
Mario Kart Wii (2008)
Mario Kart 7 (2011)

Doesn't look that bad to me. There's also more variation between sequels there than with most other franchise sequels these days.

Krev said:
Three of them hadn't been released yet, since I was referring to Paper Mario 3DS.
But really, you don't have to look very far to see that when they throw something different out, it usually bombs. Excitebots, Sin & Punishment 2, Wario Land Shake and Disaster are examples.
Wario Land Shake didn't bomb. Neither did Endless Ocean, Rhythm Heaven, and various other "different" releases.

Somnid

ShockingAlberto said:
And as long as Nintendo requires ESRB ratings on all its downloadable games, it never will.

ESRB ratings for these are now cheaper and automated. Plus, if it's ever required in some region Apple is going to have a fun time cleaning that up.

Bgamer90 said:
?

Why is that a wrong thing to do in a thread about a modern day portable gaming system getting a price drop?

It wasn't as if people weren't bringing up any good points during the debate.
it's not as off topic here as in other threads about the 3DS and Vita, but it seems to come up in every single thread about the new portables. there's lots of things to talk about in both cases, but nearly every thread ends up being about iOS vs dedicated handhelds.

we could be talking about the 3DSs chances of resurrecting within 4 months. we could be talking about what Nintendo might do if that doesn't happen, and what it might mean for the Wii U and for the company going forwards... instead it's just iOS vs dedicated take three hundred.

Bgamer90

Banned
plagiarize said:
it's not as off topic here as in other threads about the 3DS and Vita, but it seems to come up in every single thread about the new portables. there's lots of things to talk about in both cases, but nearly every thread ends up being about iOS vs dedicated handhelds. we could be talking about the 3DSs chances of resurrecting within 4 months. we could be talking about what Nintendo might do if that doesn't happen, and what it might mean for the Wii U and for the company going forwards... instead it's just iOS vs dedicated take three hundred.

Oh I see. This is really the first thread on neogaf that I have participated in that's dealing with the 3DS.

Shiggy

lunchwithyuzo said:
Wario Land Shake didn't bomb. Neither did Endless Ocean, Rhythm Heaven, and various other "different" releases.

At least in Europe Rhythm Paradise was a huge bomb. It's the only European DS game for which Nintendo sent out a demo on a card. It's also the only European Nintendo DS game which got a paper sleeve featuring Beyonce later on to give it a better promotion. Still, it was available for 5-10 € shortly after release.

Shiggy said:
At least in Europe Rhythm Paradise was a huge bomb. It's the only European DS game for which Nintendo sent out a demo on a card. It's also the only European Nintendo DS game which got a paper sleeve featuring Beyonce later on to give it a better promotion. Still, it was available for 5-10 € shortly after release.
What was the chart performance like? In the US it never hit NPD top 10, but it's 3rd month sales alone were 41k going by a June 2009 leak.

There are a couple of perception issues that are hurting 3DS sales. For the casual gamer, it is the perception that it is just another DS model with 3D.

For many non-casual gamers, there is a widely circulated and accepted perception that DS games don't look very good on the 3DS. That translates to no real backward compatibility. The GameBoy line kept building on each previous iteration's game library. That continued into the DS and DS Lite which had the GBA library and arguably made those games look even better than if they were played on the Game Boy Advance. But this perception that DS games don't look good on the 3DS (implying not worth playing) effectively make it a startup system with nothing but the currently available 3DS titles.

If My DSi were to suddenly go on the fritz, I'd replace it with another DSi or DSi XL even if the 3DS were the same price. I have too much of a backlog of DS games to put up with poor display quality for those games, and the 3D effect for the new 3DS games sounds like a great way to generate headaches. I just don't see any compelling reason to buy a 3DS at this time.

Shiggy

lunchwithyuzo said:
What was the chart performance like? In the US it never hit NPD top 10, but it's 3rd month sales alone were 41k going by a June 2009 leak.

Rhythm Paradise debuted in the UK listings in tenth position in the week ending May 9th this year. It slipped two places the following week, nabbed 20th spot on its third week and then vanished from the All Formats completely the following week, never to return.

That is until this morning, where the latest charts show that it raced back up the table to claim 21st place thanks to a massive 96 per cent sales increase. So why the sudden retail rush? That’ll be thanks to Nintendo’s re-running of its TV ad featuring curvy R&B diva Beyonce Knowles.

I don't know how it fared in other countries. The immediate price drops tell me that it flopped. NoE wasn't eager to localise the Wii title had it not been mandated by NCL.

wrowa

1-D_FTW said:

It succeeds because it's a great fun racing game.

It's as much as terrible racing game as Burnout is a terrible simulation racing game.

And, please, don't give me that "Skill doesn't matter in Mario Kart" crap. Play it -- locally or online -- against someone who is really good at the game and you won't see the light of day against him. I thought it was like that until I've played against a good friend of mine online -- he always had a lead over the second place by at least half a lap. And no, he wasn't cheating.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I think Nintendo was absolutely insane for jacking up the price of entry while their market is in the process of being invaded by iOS and Android. I suspect even $170 is not an attractive price point for the majority its potential audience.

Nintendo has conditioned me to avoid the first iteration of their portable systems with the GBA and DS. The lack of software at the outset and sub-optimal initial hardware design are still here with the 3DS, and now it's more expensive.

I sincerely hope the 3DS sales problem is the market telling hardware manufacturers that they won't buy a system based solely on promise any longer.

EloquentM said:
As long as popular system selling games like pokemon are on a dedicated gaming handhelds IOS will never completely take over the handheld market.
So when are we expecting the next Pokemon iteration to be released??

Bgamer90

Banned
DjangoReinhardt said:
I think Nintendo was absolutely insane for jacking up the price of entry while their market is in the process of being invaded by iOS and Android. I suspect even $170 is not an attractive price point for the majority its potential audience.

Yet the DSi is basically the same price as is still doing well. Better sales than the PS3...

Nintendo has conditioned me to avoid the first iteration of their portable systems with the GBA and DS. The lack of software at the outset and sub-optimal initial hardware design are still here with the 3DS, and now it's more expensive.

"Lack of software at the otuset"? What do you expect a system to have not even 6 months after it's release? A huge library?

Also, while its hardware design could be better, it's fine.

I sincerely hope the 3DS sales problem is the market telling hardware manufacturers that they won't buy a system based solely on promise any longer.

What system hasn't been based on promises during it's first few months? People buy systems to only play them a few months after their initial release?

And the 3DS sales problem is mainly due to the DS(i).

It's funny how people keep mentioning that the sales of the 3DS is the sign that dedicated portable gaming is dead when the DS is doing better in sales than the PS3 (a console that most who say that dedicated portable gaming is dead like to play).

Bgamer90 said:
It's funny how people keep mentioned that the 3DS sales is the sign that portable gaming is dead when the DS is doing better in sales than the PS3 (a console that most who say that dedicated portable gaming is dead like to play).

I don't agree with the "portable gaming is dead" sentiment, but the DS at least has a massive library of great games. The 3DS? Not so much right now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The sales of the DS family are very strong, in fact. With this price drop Nintendo intends to shift most of its sales to the 3DS, given the fact that it can play anything the DSi can. Is that simple imo.

MDX

DjangoReinhardt said:

Brings up a question to why dont hardware manufactures give more time, like two years for publishers and developers to prepare games for launches?

MrMephistoX

xtrasauce said:

The best Mario Kart will always be determined by how old you were at the time of release and whether or not you were either in college dorm or gathered on a couch after school with friends at the time.

Stylo

MrMephistoX said:
The best Mario Kart will always be determined by how old you were at the time of release and whether or not you were either in college dorm or gathered on a couch after school with friends at the time.

I grew up with Mario Kart 64 and the DS rendition is still my favorite.

Bgamer90

Banned
Electivirus said:
I don't agree with the "portable gaming is dead" sentiment, but the DS at least has a massive library of great games. The 3DS? Not so much right now.

Of course... the DS' library of games took years to build.

Top Bottom