• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaden Smith & Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig have an anime premiering on Netflix 9/22.

Terrible.

Shit I might submit something to Netflix since they seem to be greenlighting everything.

So which celebrity are you? Or at least related to?
I think that's a major influence.

...but then again, they do seem to throw money at some terrible no-name projects as well. Carry on.

Oddish1

Watched two episodes for a laugh. Don't know why this was made or for who. I think there are times when it's trying to be self-aware but it's hard to tell because it's indistinguishable from when it's just being awful. Which is all the time.

That indiewire review makes it sound entertaining. And I've been listening to Ezra Koenigs radio show lately and honestly it's pretty fun, I'm gonna check it out

Plus Jason Schwartzman is always great as an asshole

tbm24

So far, the shows been pretty entertaining. It’s by no means good but the absurdity of it is doing it for me so far.

number11

This show isn’t funny, but I still find it hilarious for some reason. This has Ezra’s personality written all over it.

shira

It's bad

idk what Netflix was thinking
charm_surprise.gif

DiGiKerot

It starts with the music from the old Thames Television idents and steals the title card treatment straight from Evangelion.

I'm only three or so minutes in and I'm both confused and laughing hysterically.

Dali

Netflix has completely buried this apparently. I watch a fair amount of anime and cartoons on Netflix so you'd think it would pop right up. I was questioning if this was even out yet. Scrolled through the entire "Netflix originals" banner and didn't see it. Even did a search for "jaden" because I couldn't remember the name of the show. Finally looked up the name and did a search specifically for it and it was found.

DiGiKerot

Netflix has completely buried this apparently. I watch a fair amount of anime and cartoons on Netflix so you'd think it would pop right up. I was questioning if this was even out yet. Scrolled through the entire "Netflix originals" banner and didn't see it. Even did a search for "jaden" because I couldn't remember the name of the show. Finally looked up the name and did a search specifically for it and it was found.

It was the top item - the big splash image at the top - when I logged into my account an hour ago, so mileage varies, I guess.

There were a few times where it sounded like the actors stepped back from the mic accidentally, and it was jarring. However, I thought the voice acting/sound design made shit much funnier. The canned LQ laughing from Arcangelo's henchmen had me dying and I actually really liked Jaden's delivery. As for the plot, I like how the supernatural stuff is treated so blasé. Overall I enjoyed it. I feel like it started to pick up around Episode 3 where they began putting in more cheesy anime shit. I hope they get a chance to release more episodes, because I think it has potential. Aside from tighter writing, I'd say they needed an animation bump. I don't need it to be Boondocks-type animation evolution, but just have it be a bit smoother

I don't watch any anime and it was right on the front page for me.

DiGiKerot

I actually kind of love this show. I mean, it's terribly made and everything, but it's just freaking weird. Like, episode 2 is full of random Sailor Moon gags for some inexplicable reason.

I fully realize that many aspects of this show aren’t great but there is something undeniably charming about it.
It was the first thing I saw when I booted up Netflix, full screen splash ad at that.

Dali

Indiewire review - B
Den of Geek- 3/5

This is going to be a show that people that are hardcore into anime will hate because it's not up to their standards, for everyone else this is going to be Amazing
The animation, if you can call it that, is limited. I've only watched the first episode and I'm not sure if the end where they showing the roughs of storyboards is by design or budget. The show looks really really bad. The content is "meh." A couple of Jaden quotes sounded like stuff actually written by him which kept me watching for their absurdity.

DiGiKerot

Can't believe that the final line is
Neo Yokio is about to Explode

I dunno about this show, man. I'm pretty sure they're in on the joke the whole way. Most of it is gold, but episode 4 concludes with some pretty questionable stuff that it addresses in a pretty half-arsed fashion that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Con_Smith

Banned
The "I just like sports" store clerk is legit fucking hilarious.

I can't believe how amazing this bullshit is but it shines bright in a pile.

Netflix has completely buried this apparently.
My splash page is giving it significantly more visibility than the complete bungling of Little Witch Academia received.

I actually kind of love this show. I mean, it's terribly made and everything, but it's just freaking weird. Like, episode 2 is full of random Sailor Moon gags for some inexplicable reason.
I feel like the show uses 90s anime references the same way Bojack Horseman isn't above "PENGUIN Publishing is run by a PENGUIN" jokes for the cheap seats. Except here it's a sequitur that comes from nowhere and goes nowhere.

I'll be damned if the tuxedo running gag in episode two didn't make me chuckle.

Mulgrok

While I found the show so bad it was funny, I made sure to dislike it to discourage more of this shit. The money spent on this could have been used on actual talent.

Top Bottom