• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane the Virgin S2 |OT| Mex Education

That was the most visceral, raw episode that I can remember. I love how deftly the show handles politics -- or rather, how it addresses reality.

I thought I lost it at the bathroom floor scene.

I REALLY lost it at the proposal.

Fabian is just so transparently kind. I actually think, in real life, we should give people chances. They really do surprise us.

bremon

Well I totally called who JP is, to my girlfriend's surprise. Can't fool me every time Latin Lover Narrator (just most of the time!).

ZeroX03

Banned
JP just sounds like the right name for the character that actor is playing, oddly. I didn't remember his name was supposed to be Chuck from the beginning, so I just assumed he was JP.

ZeroX03

Banned
Here's the synopses for the final three episodes of the season!

"Chapter Sixty-Two"
TOUGH QUESTIONS - Jane (Gina Rodriguez) has to learn how to handle her new love life, especially when the guy she is dating introduces her to his grandmother. Petra (Yael Grobglas) learns some interesting information about Chuck (guest star Johnny Messner). Xo (Andrea Navedo) and Rogelio (Jaime Camil) are eager to share their news with Jane, but want to try to take her feelings into consideration. Meanwhile, when Mateo starts asking questions, Jane and Rafael (Justin Baldoni) are forced to sit down with him and explain how their family came to be. Ivonne Coll also stars. Fernando Sariana directed the episode written by Jessica O'Toole & Amy Rardin & David S. Rosenthal (#318).

"Chapter Sixty-Three"
HURT FEELINGS - Jane (Gina Rodriguez) and Fabian (guest star Francisco San Martin) are not on the same page when it comes to their relationship, which makes it hard for Jane to ask him for a favor. Petra (Yael Grobglas) and Rafael (Justin Baldoni) both turn to Jane for advice, but Jane is determined not to get involved. Meanwhile, Jane volunteers to help Xo (Andrea Navedo) and Rogelio (Jaime Camil), but might have bitten off more than she can chew. Ivonne Coll also stars. Gina Lamar directed the episode written by Paul Sciarrotta (#319).

"Chapter Sixty-Four"
SEASON FINALE - Jane (Gina Rodriguez) struggles to find the right words for Rogelio (Jaime Camil) and Xo's (Andrea Navedo) ceremony, when she learns about a mysterious letter that Michael wrote before their wedding. Rogelio and Xo are excited for their big day, but Rogelio gets some shocking news that could put things on hold. Once again Rafael (Justin Baldoni) is upset with Luisa (guest star Yara Martinez) and asks her to leave, but Luisa has a plan of her own. Meanwhile, Petra (Yael Grobglas) is skeptical about Jane's feelings for Rafael which leads her to make a rash decision. Ivonne Coll also stars. Melanie Mayron directed the episode written by Micah Schraft & Jennie Snyder Urman (#320) Editor's Note: Michael (Brett Dier) will also be in this episode as per set photos..

Wow, I love everything about Alba this season. Such a scene-stealer.

So many laugh out loud moments. The Sex and the City gabfest at the restaurant. The set/costume continuity gag. The telenovela blessing. The cactus.

I died.

And how smoking was Gina Rodriguez in that red dress? lordy

Holy personality 180 they gave Fabian there. Obviously they wanted to clear the path for Jane to start feeling for Raf again, but I think they went a bit far making Fabian so vindictive. Doesn't really jive with his sweet dopey behavior up until now.

ZeroX03

Banned
That stripper scene was extra funny because that's Gina's boyfriend IRL.

Holy personality 180 they gave Fabian there. Obviously they wanted to clear the path for Jane to start feeling for Raf again, but I think they went a bit far making Fabian so vindictive. Doesn't really jive with his sweet dopey behavior up until now.

It tracked for me. He has the emotional maturity of a child.

That stripper scene was extra funny because that's Gina's boyfriend IRL.
Boyfriend goals.

Another great episode. Jane drunk dancing in the background is one of the show's all-time great physical comedy moments.

And hopefully we can finally put this Rose storyline to rest. The crime drama is consistently the least interesting part of this show.

"Una Flor" playing again made me smile.
My feels overwhelmed me. Still one of the best pilots ever.

Another great episode. It's amazing how well this show balances all these storylines without ever feeling overstuffed.

This really didn't feel like a season finale, though. At least compared to the Petrafied + Michael getting shot + Xiomara getting pregnant triple bombshell from last year's finale.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think Adam was mentioned but not named in an earlier season? Either way the narrator mentioned him at least this season before.

Jenni Snyder Urman has also said we haven't seen the last of Michael (yay!) and the narrator's identity will be revealed at the end of the show. I'm not sure who he could be other than Jane's authorial or someone named Mateo though.

S3 should be on US Netflix right now btw, or very soon.

ZeroX03

Banned
I thought Adam was that dude that she dated at the same time she dated Michael.

No, different dude. That was Sam, who got chumped by Michael.

Adam was Jane's first big love (other two being Michael and Raf) that was mentioned but not shown.

That was the finale?! Dammit. There go my plans for tonight.

I feel like the show has one more season left in it, and I suppose I'm back to waiting for GoT and Crazy Ex.

ZeroX03

Banned
Huh, a reduced count. Should we be yelling gloom and doom and losing our heads?

It's getting sent to Friday as well which is usually doom and gloom, but the showrunner said the episode count was a choice.

CW is pretty good at letting these things wrap up nicely. I suspect the lowered episode count is fine because they'll still reach syndication numbers with S5 (by all accounts the final season) instead of S4 so there was no need to force it. Lower costs but the show still gets a complete run.

VegiHam

It's getting sent to Friday as well which is usually doom and gloom, but the showrunner said the episode count was a choice.

CW is pretty good at letting these things wrap up nicely. I suspect the lowered episode count is fine because they'll still reach syndication numbers with S5 (by all accounts the final season) instead of S4 so there was no need to force it. Lower costs but the show still gets a complete run.

Not at all. One of my biggest qualms with the show is that not a whole lot happens in the middle of every season. This is a great way to trim off some of that fat.

Oooh, well that's reassuring! Thanks guys!

I have no idea who Alex Meneses is but 17 episodes is definitely a good thing.

Are we going to finally get a new OT? Or at least a topic title change?

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone watch/drool?

oweifpobj4nj5clcythe.jpg

Jhoan

I watched but I wish it on Mondays because Valor sucks with all due respect to the show having a Latina lead that has solid chops. The competing narrators had me in stitches. I hope it continues for a few more episodes.

caliph95

Can we still have dueling narrator please i will be happy to let Adam stay of it means the Latin Lover Narrator has a friend

Makonero

Hated it. I've been sliding off the show since the timeskip/Michael's death, but I can't stand Adam and the constant "Do I have feelings for Rafael?" again and again is so grating. Plus the obvious retcon of the engagement at 19 and the telenovela standbys (oh no, Petra was mistaken for Aneska again! wacky hijinx! Rose killed a dude! wooo!) and I feel like the show has run it's course. The dueling narrators was cool as a gag but it started getting annoying by the end too.

I wish you all the best of luck, but I think I'm done for now. I'll check in late to see if it gets better, but I just can't get invested anymore.

Good premiere as usual.

Not feeling Adam. He's hot, but he's such a cliche of a character.

Honestly, I'd be down for a romance-free season of Jane the Virgin. It's become a weight on this show, and there are so many other aspects of a co-parenting relationship this show could explore other than "will they or won't they?"

So glad to see this show paired with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend again, though. It's like PB&J
grin.gif

Gin-Shiio

Haven't watched it yet, but already dread the Xo and Rogelio moments. Those two are an embarrasment, Xo especially. Wish the show had shipped them off seasons ago.

Top Bottom