• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JaseC now owns 107 more games.

Short of getting a job at Valve, it's practically impossible for me to own literally every game that has been released on Steam as prior to the close of the 2012 Summer Sale I only bought games that interested me, so I missed the boat on a ton of stuff, such as licensed titles like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and The Golden Compass. I am, however, less than 300 games short of owning every game currently available on Steam.

That's a good question. My account page says I've spent over $8,300 on the store, but obviously this doesn't take into account games bought externally (bundles, other stores like GMG, and Steam traders).

Nope. I even have all the various region-specific versions of Max Payne/Max Payne 2. ;)

I hit 2,000 games last November, so I've bought 1,000 games in a little over seven months (it's worth noting that there are around 120 actual games in the image as I bought a few packages). As for the haul, I wasn't expecting the Summer Sale to start in June, so I wasn't prepared and ultimately could only spare a few hundred bucks.
Wow, you are calling for an intervention mate!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I only got about 92. (quote to reveal)

Cost me about $250. Might have overdone it a bit, being in the same ballpark as JaseC...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So is there anyone out there that owns every game released on steam?

Not as far as I'm aware -- even A dJ is missing his fair share. Valve employees are given the Steam Master sub, which was populated with literally every single piece of content that had store info (which included some games that were never made publicly available, such as Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/etc.), however the package was purged of all third-party content a couple of months ago, so now it only provides Valve's own titles. That being said, though, I presume Valve employees can easily add any desired games to their accounts manually.

Kadin

The fact that he has so much is one thing, the fact that he's one of the coolest guys I see posting is something else completely. Usually people who have a lot or whatever tend to have sort of an attitude it seems (to me) but I always see Jase just doing what he can to help clarify something for another member or offer advice, etc.

But who am I kidding, I just following him around to see the latest avatar. And yeah, I'm not feeling this one atm Jase but it's cool... for now.

3000 games as a collection is much better then those here who has 500 games (and actual games, not DLC) and still think that they actually will play all those games, and that believe they're doing good business by buying them. :)

wilflare

Yeah, Ubi disabled cross-region gifting/trading after fixing the lovely price mistake.

When I caught the collecting bug almost two years ago to the day now, I told myself I'd play the games eventually, but soon enough I realised I was just in it for, shall we say, the thrill of the hunt. ;)

no workaround for it? lol

cripterion

Bought 0 during this sale... I find it's the same recycled games coming up every time, and I still own a few in my library that are totally unplayed. I'm fine at 200 games, I don't know how JaseC does it, but he is truly The Lord of Steam.

JaseC

The fact that he has so much is one thing, the fact that he's one of the coolest guys I see posting is something else completely. Usually people who have a lot or whatever tend to have sort of an attitude it seems (to me) but I always see Jase just doing what he can to help clarify something for another member or offer advice, etc.

<3

But who am I kidding, I just following him around to see the latest avatar. And yeah, I'm not feeling this one atm Jase but it's cool... for now.

Haha, rest assured it'll change in about a week. ;)

no workaround for it? lol

You could use a VPN, but as I explained in the Steam thread earlier, I wouldn't recommend this.

JaseC

WTF, where will he find the time? Guess he's stocking up for retirement.

I intend to spend my retirement years in Steam's Detail View, scrolling through my library. :p

95% of those sound like a waste of money, even with deals.

I certainly wouldn't recommend any of them to somebody looking for something to actually play. Well, save for perhaps Valiant Hearts due to all the positive buzz in the OT, but I don't like to recommend games I myself am unfamiliar with.

Helmholtz

I don't get it, but if it makes you happy then more power to you. I have like 100 something games on Steam and I still haven't played half of them.

faridmon

Kinda gross waste of money there, but its his to do with he pleases.

I got Burnout Paradise.

A lot of things is gross on Gaf, like that thread where people actually announcing that they they feel bad for people who don't appreciate gaming, like its an important history changing medium. In fact, I stopped coming to Gaf partially how depressing this place can be.

This is is not, If the dude likes playing games, great for supporting the industry, and from the comments I am reading in this thread by him, he seems like a cool dude. And collectors do exist, we all collect shit from time to time, at least with games, you could actually gain some enjoyment out of it.

Piccoro

Congratulations, JaseC!
I'm actually at a phase that I collect games more than I play them. On consoles, though.

May you someday get the entire Steam collection! Please let us know if you do! :)

I don't know who that is, but geez, will he/she even play a third of them? If I was faced with a backlog that gargantuan, I'd know instantly that I wasted a lot of money.

JaseC

I don't know who that is, but geez, will he/she even play a third of them? If I was faced with a backlog that gargantuan, I'd know instantly that I wasted a lot of money.

I don't consider the vast majority of my library as part of my backlog as I don't intend to play the games.

He has 10 times as many games as me and has completed a higher % of them. I feel like such a failure.

"Average game completion rate" is a bit of a misnomer. What it actually refers to is the average amount of achievements you've earned across all of the achievement-supporting games you've played and in which you've earned at least one achievement. For example, let's say that, in total, I've played four Steam games:

Game 1 doesn't support Steam achievements
Game 2 supports Steam achievements but I haven't earned any
Game 3 supports Steam achievements and I've earned 45% of them
Game 4 supports Steam achievements and I've earned 60% of them

My average completion rate would be 53% (rounded up from 52.5%) as Game 1 isn't counted (no achievement data at all) and neither is Game 2 (no achievements have been unlocked), leaving only Game 3 and Game 4 as the data points.

Edit: Oh, and before I forget, thanks for the congrats and such, folks. (I'd quote the posts but that'd create a rather obnoxious wall of text, haha.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Truly a mad man.

Does it matter? Seems like a passion/hobby for him, sorta like collecting cars.
>_> You zoomed in your avatar. Now it's even creepier.

And yeah, JaseC's thing is collecting games. I think the playing and enjoying of many of them is just a bonus. Of course this isn't to say that he doesn't buy stuff he enjoys. He's played a ton of Assassin's Creed, and is currently playing through Fable, IIRC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it would be pretty fun and not that expensive for us to have a 'get JaseC all the games on steam' thread. Something to do between steam sales maybe?

at least based on the current catalogue, I realise it is a moving target.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
All I take from this thread is that Jase changed his avatar and I didn't know it. The new one reminds me of the girl from Zelda Wind Waker.

it would be pretty fun and not that expensive for us to have a 'get JaseC all the games on steam' thread. Something to do between steam sales maybe?

at least based on the current catalogue, I realise it is a moving target.
There is always all games released before 200X though.

Stump did ask him and this is the oldest game not owned:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/20200/

I think someone that used to request had gotten to 2009 or 2011.

JaseC

Can you sell the account or licences?

It'd be quite easy to sell the account as a whole, but not the individual games.

There is always all games released before 200X though.

Stump did ask him and this is the oldest game not owned:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/20200/

I think someone that used to request had gotten to 2009 or 2011.

For some reason that game only goes on sale during the Winter Sale, which is bizarre since publishers have to submit Autumn and Winter Sale pricing at the same time. I can understand a new release skipping the Autumn Sale, but something that released in 2008? The mind boggles.

QaaQer

If someone has the collector gene, digital is the way to go. Have you seen some people's homes?

click

PS if anyone wants to see a sad documentary on obsessive collectiong: Vinyl

Is this the guy who always has pictures of the Lovely Bones girl as his avatar? I forget her name. Irish lass.

Anyway, good for him. I've really tried to dial back new game purchases since 2011, as my backlog was getting out of control. Speaking of which, is there a topic where we name and shame our own backlogs?

Top Bottom