• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Wilson is leaving Blizzard

Tagyhag

Not to be a bitch, but I'm glad he's leaving the industry as a whole.

This industry needs better writing not worse.

I do hope that he finds happiness in his passion.

I went to a couple early Blizzcons and seeing him talk about pre-release Diablo 3 was really fun. I have a feeling the auction house wasn't his fault, but he may have been responsible for the old fashion holdovers from Diablo 2 (such as wasted stats on gear).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My favorite one, on the original insane Torment difficulty:

For a game people were slowly realizing was completely fucked as they approached their 40th hour without a single legendary drop (legendaries which were total dogshit anyway), commentary like this basically proved to everyone that this guy had locked the doors to the cockpit and was flying in circles.

I actually got where he was coming from with that quote; in general you can always rely on the playerbase to discover weird, unintended skill/item combos that make them significantly stronger than you intended, thus making the game content easier. HOWEVER, the way skills and items work in D3 (especially in vanilla) is so closed and controlled that there was really no room for those sorts of things to organically develop. Itemzation was sterile and boring, and skills couldn't be buffed or increased. Thus Inferno was just stupid hard and people kept getting 1-shot by bees as soon as they left town in Act 2.

meanspartan

You guys act like the only thing he did was the AH. Vanilla Diablo 3 gameplay was damn good, and is still the basis for the improved state of the game today.

Yes, he made some horrific mistakes but eh, kinda being dicks in here.

Arttemis

I don't like the products he led, or his juvenile reaction to very minor, constructive criticism, so I'll happily avoid his future projects. He's done nothing to warrant any compassion from me.

Flipyap

It was such an absurd overreaction, too. Brevik's quotes in that article are totally benign and pretty much just "if I was making it I would have done some things differently" and Wilson and co acted like he shit on their floors or something.
To be fair, he was responding to a facebook post of a colleague who "felt like he was thrown under a bus," so that probably amplified whatever emotions that interview might have sparked. Herd mentality and all.
I bet not many people could avoid looking like overreacting weirdos if we had a way to monitor every off-hand comment anyone makes.

Not to be a bitch, but I'm glad he's leaving the industry as a whole.

This industry needs better writing not worse.

I do hope that he finds happiness in his passion.
He was the game director, not a writer.

I actually got where he was coming from with that quote; in general you can always rely on the playerbase to discover weird, unintended skill/item combos that make them significantly stronger than you intended, thus making the game content easier. HOWEVER, the way skills and items work in D3 (especially in vanilla) is so closed and controlled that there was really no room for those sorts of things to organically develop. Itemzation was sterile and boring, and skills couldn't be buffed or increased. Thus Inferno was just stupid hard and people kept getting 1-shot by bees as soon as they left town in Act 2.
Yeah, it's not inherently a bad idea. Itagaki and co. famously did something similar with Ninja Gaiden, where whenever their testers thought the difficulty level was too hard they instead made it harder. This earned them criticism, of course, but also lots of dedicated fans. Developers can be really good at the games they make, but when you have a million+ other players breaking it down that audience can accomplish things you never could have planned for.

LCGeek

formerly sane
You guys act like the only thing he did was the AH. Vanilla Diablo 3 gameplay was damn good, and is still the basis for the improved state of the game today.

Yes, he made some horrific mistakes but eh, kinda being dicks in here.

Him and blizzard trashed the entire skill tree and mechanics in D3 to make it console friendly. He earned his enemies being as dishonest as he was about what D3 was becoming and the crap we had to put up until GRS showed up. Lets not talk about him trying to take credit for a shit monk class that took no effort and was ripped off by other previous aspects of the franchise itself.

He didn't make the real improvements, so why should I give him credit? If various diablo fanatics show up and start talking meta I don't think you want to hear about all the crap he caused. Feel free to kick this door open since I left a little creak for other or yourself to knock down.

Skux

His passion is writing? Is there a book version of "unceremoniously killing off a beloved character in an in-game cutscene"?

ZenaxPure

Loved Diablo II and MoP. Hated D3 1.0 and WoD.

Well this turned out great.

Already been pointed out but Jay had really nothing to do with the gameplay decisions on WoD. The same people responsible for creating MoP somehow created WoD (though I can see how you wouldn't believe that given the cosmic difference in their quality and support). They are also creating Legion which so far has been incredible from my experience on beta.

Anyhow, despite all the shit people want to fling at Jay he is hugely responsible for the combat in D3 so I have respect for the guy. I put nearly 1000 hours into vanilla D3 when it was supposedly "bad" simply because the combat was so damn good, and I know I'm not alone on that, made a lot of friends here on gaf during vanilla D3.

Arkeband

Banned
*shrug*

Different strokes, I guess. I really like Reaper of Souls and have been impressed with their post launch support of the game.

It's almost a different genre than what you'd expect the sequel to Diablo 2 would be. It's a competent game in its own right, but many would argue that it sacrificed much of what made the series "Diablo".

Some of the outstanding issues with the game are that PVP is still a fucking joke, their current game design is a speeding train, hurtling toward trillions of damage per second, which is completely incompatible with PVP without creating a parallel game experience. They weren't interested in that, so the "Brawler" sits in town, waiting for someone simple enough to actually click on him by accident.

Another problem is inherent with their Battle.net 2.0 design, where matchmaking revolves around antisocial dropdowns to find warm bodies to silently play alongside, and trading has been all but bulldozed as a concept.

JamesAR15

marilyn-monroe-bye.gif

Cipherr

Bye bruh...

Just being honest. Dude wont be missed. His control over D3 was a BAD idea, and whoever was responsible for giving him that position is sullied in my eyes as well.

Wish him the best, but he was awful in his handling of D3. And Im glad to hear he won't be making creative decisions on any of their products going forward. This says nothing of the disrespect he showed for one of the masterminds behind the Diablo franchise... Ugh.....

TheYanger

Him and blizzard trashed the entire skill tree and mechanics in D3 to make it console friendly. He earned his enemies being as dishonest as he was about what D3 was becoming and the crap we had to put up until GRS showed up. Lets not talk about him trying to take credit for a shit monk class that took no effort and was ripped off by other previous aspects of the franchise itself.

He didn't make the real improvements, so why should I give him credit? If various diablo fanatics show up and start talking meta I don't think you want to hear about all the crap he caused. Feel free to kick this door open since I left a little creak for other or yourself to knock down.

The skill mechanics in D3 are unequivocally better than D2 though. The stat design in the base game crippled the gear design, and still is only serviceable due to everything in RoS working around it, but at the end of the day when you act like D3 somehow was worse than D2 in the basic gameplay department, or that it was dumbed down for consoles, it's laughable as fuck. The console versions are fine, but the game wouldn't be so markedly different between consoles and pc if it had been designed with them in mind.

RS4-

I feel like you are joking but i made a lot of money on the AH i would love for it to come back.

D3 AH paid for my new computer and a 3D TV.

Grats and I hate you :(
I got fuck all from AH, I didn't make anything until the last few days, enough to buy RoS lol.

badb0y

I think I legit made like 5 grand off of D3 in beginning. I remember I sold the first IK armor I found for $250.00 on the AH which I think was the maximum price you could sell at.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think I legit made like 5 grand off of D3 in beginning. I remember I sold the first IK armor I found for $250.00 on the AH which I think was the maximum price you could sell at.

I sold a monk legendary for like $80. Used it to get a WoW xpac for free, and most of the price of SC2.

Pretty much the only bright spot of my vanilla D3 experience.

Zemm

His diablo 3 was a disaster but I'm glad he's going to do something he'll enjoy. Can imagine it wasn't pleasant being demoted from the D3 team to working on whatever it was he was doing. That stigma.

Diablo 3 needs player trading and all items need to become unbound and instantly tradeable.

Removing the economy from a loot-based, Online Multiplayer RPG was suicide.

ZenaxPure

The console versions are fine, but the game wouldn't be so markedly different between consoles and pc if it had been designed with them in mind.

Yeah this shit drives me up a wall. If D3 was dumbed down for consoles on a gameplay level why did they have to change how so many skills work between the 2 versions? Why have there been builds on the PC version that weren't able to be replicated on the console version because the controls? They didn't give everyone 6 active skill slots because that maps okay to a controller, they did it for game balance. If D3 let you put 10 skills on a bar it would literally break the combat and be a giant shit show.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Diablo 3 needs player trading and all items need to become unbound and instantly tradeable.

I want trading but I also don't want real money attached to it. The whole AH trading issue spells volumes on how screwed the game is now compared to its predcessors.

TheYanger

I want trading but I also don't want real money attached to it. The whole AH trading issue spells volumes on how screwed the game is now compared to its predcessors.

It's going to have real money attached to it if you can do it, period. That's why they went for the AH in the first place. D2jsp had already taken over Diablo 2, and with the way gaming and the internet are now there is ZERO chance that D3 wouldn't have immediately been a money economy as well. I mean even long before with D2, like early/mid 2000s, I was selling my accounts off every time I quit for a while on ebay. Just because YOU would not buy or sell for real money, doesn't mean that everyone else doing it doesn't affect you and your ability to trade. Everything has a value.

The value of significantly better items, which are harder to get as well, in D3 is miles beyond D2. D2 was a piss easy game to begin with, D3 has scaling difficulty that goes to basically infinity, and it rewards you for going higher up that ladder.

Nokterian

Despite how vanilla diablo 3 went in the total wrong direction and thank god it turned around with reaper of souls (my most played game for a long long time and still is!) i did wish him success on twitter for a new adventure just a nice gesture to say the least.

Anoregon

Considering the game is alive and well, "suicide" is a bit of a stretch.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The skill mechanics in D3 are unequivocally better than D2 though. The stat design in the base game crippled the gear design, and still is only serviceable due to everything in RoS working around it, but at the end of the day when you act like D3 somehow was worse than D2 in the basic gameplay department, or that it was dumbed down for consoles, it's laughable as fuck. The console versions are fine, but the game wouldn't be so markedly different between consoles and pc if it had been designed with them in mind.

Go ahead some of us prefer it before, Nor was I stating that I think D2 or D3 even POE skilltree is the best. I just like What D2 did for options and viability. Short of this season I'm not a fan of eventually one meta builds on certain classes needed to progress.

What's laughable is you think some of us enjoy D3 now or should in that respect. I would also hope that D3 mechanics are much better than a game that came more towards the beginning of the last decade vs one that came out in the last 3 years that showed blizzard only marginally got what the game was about and how to evolve it.

It's going to have real money attached to it if you can do it, period. That's why they went for the AH in the first place. D2jsp had already taken over Diablo 2, and with the way gaming and the internet are now there is ZERO chance that D3 wouldn't have immediately been a money economy as well. I mean even long before with D2, like early/mid 2000s, I was selling my accounts off every time I quit for a while on ebay. Just because YOU would not buy or sell for real money, doesn't mean that everyone else doing it doesn't affect you and your ability to trade. Everything has a value.

The value of significantly better items, which are harder to get as well, in D3 is miles beyond D2. D2 was a piss easy game to begin with, D3 has scaling difficulty that goes to basically infinity, and it rewards you for going higher up that ladder.

I don't care about actual money trading that doesn't have to effect me. When it starts to effect me like it did and blizzard admitted as much then it becomes a problem. Blizzard screwed themselves on this like they have on other franchises and letting things slip *coughs* dota/lol *coughs*. Even when they were removing it people said what they were fine with then went an extra step with account bound bullshit which is related to trading. Quite sad they even removed gold on potion just to stop them instead of making a system where traders and themselves could earn decent bank which could be used to improve the game. Next to no micro transaction this is easily one of the biggest fucks up on the game.

I'm quite aware of the two games playing them so I see no point in the last part except to sound smart. I don't think either is difficult. Certainly not D3 when a diablofans guide or the leaderboard can do most of the guess work for you. Outside of know your limits climbing to GR100 is quite easy as I've helped my friends do this season in less than 3 weeks, which to say is a lot quicker than anything I did in D2 cause the rng sucked imo.

Dinjooh

Already been pointed out but Jay had really nothing to do with the gameplay decisions on WoD. The same people responsible for creating MoP somehow created WoD (though I can see how you wouldn't believe that given the cosmic difference in their quality and support). They are also creating Legion which so far has been incredible from my experience on beta.

Anyhow, despite all the shit people want to fling at Jay he is hugely responsible for the combat in D3 so I have respect for the guy. I put nearly 1000 hours into vanilla D3 when it was supposedly "bad" simply because the combat was so damn good, and I know I'm not alone on that, made a lot of friends here on gaf during vanilla D3.

I played WoD for quite some time because I thought that it had to be something wrong with me, since I enjoyed MoP so much.

Njah, turned out it was just simply their worst effort so far imo.

I wish him the best of luck but yeah I'm not too sad to see him go. Not too familiar with what he did after he was taken off Diablo III but man what a mess he made of things there.

I'll always know him for role as designer on Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, CoH being *the* best RTS game ever made to date.

Ok now get rid of Metzen and they'll be set.

Yep, their stories have just been on a constant downhill, constantly starting new things, never finishing/tying them up leading to constant retcons. There needs to be new direction.

Top Bottom