• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay-Z's Tidal loses CEO, lays off 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Honest question because maybe I'm just unaware, but can someone list some of Jay's successful business ventures outside of his own music? Because I know Jay fancies himself a businessman, and people talk about Tidal like his involvement is a guarantee it will have legs. But for the life of me I can't think of any of Jays ventures that were successful.

His time as CEO of Def Jam weren't exactly their brightest years.

He was involved in the building of the Barclay's Center, but as a low level investor.

Rockawear didn't do so hot long term.

He's got a night club in Atlantic City that's kinda hot, I guess ..

madonna_3251263a.gif

But what of Madonna??

Chris Martin's creeper face in the back. lololol

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Honest question because maybe I'm just unaware, but can someone list some of Jay's successful business ventures outside of his own music? Because I know Jay fancies himself a businessman, and people talk about Tidal like his involvement is a guarantee it will have legs. But for the life of me I can't think of any of Jays ventures that were successful.

He was involved in the building of the Barclay's Center, but as a low level investor.

He's also a sports agent. He seems to have been relatively successful mostly on the grounds of athletes wanting Jay Z's agency to represent them.

He's also used Tidal as an advertising service for the clients he represents. You know, in case you want to listen to one of Robinson Cano's tracks.

mjc

This thing is gonna keep spiraling down, it's a load of bullshit.

Nobody cares about these super artists whining that they don't get enough money, because they do. The criticisms leveled against it are valid. If Jay-Z used it as a springboard for smaller, more unknown artists to get more money from streaming, I think it would have had more impact.

Regardless of ownership, Tidal reeks of the old music business. Having celebrity musicians line up and sign like athletes on draft day was nauseating, and enough in itself to make me never sign up. I pay for two Spotify premium accounts, go see dozens of shows per year. Rich people saying they aren't compensated enough is gross.

Burli

Pringo
I've wanted to see this fail since that horrendous scene of multi-millionaires demanding people spend money on their project so they can make even more millions.

Unison

I have a premium Spotify subscription now.

I do have a huge itunes library that I've ripped from CDs that meets most of my listening needs. Still, I like the service overall, partially because of how it seamlessly links to my phone and Sonos speakers.

Is there another service that you guys prefer?

Has anyone used Subsonic? How does that compare?

Mikey Jr.

Lol, I love that fucking youtube video.

Bunch of millionaires getting together, drinking champagne, talking about how to get more money, while Madonnas babbles "its about the music!"
Nice.

Jay didn't jump into this thinking to beat or even challenge Spotify or iTunes. He was hoping to cause a ripple big enough for a conglomerate to notice and buy his company. He doesn't give a F about the other artists.

Hip Hop

Oh man, I remember those. He did bring in talent but most weren't in no way marketable for the company.

We had rappers running around with thousands of dollars that Jay-Z put in their pocket without putting out a single album or even songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xiupfvFJt0

I find it funny/bizarre that a streaming service that supposedly focuses on high-quality audio is focusing on big name artists that all participate in the loudness war and don't give a shit about production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom