• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Tidal" struggling hard against competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
madonna_3251263a.gif

"Great, now I have to burn a table."

As has been said, the marketing of this was just way off as most people don't care if millionaires make more money. That's not motivation for a consumer to switch or to consider signing up for this streaming service against all others.

If they were dead set on this kind of "change the world" message, they should have started off saying that the better profit split would be donated to charity. Then, starting year 2, quietly drop the charity aspect.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The only thing Tidal did was boost Spotify's popularity.

Thread over. $20 for Streaming is lol. No body except a niche market cares about lossless audio. Jay and people like him that care about their payday need to find another way.

gcubed

i think its funny that the article attributed the rise of spotify's app on Tidal. Talk about blinders and a hard on for piss poor correlation

Opiate

This is what would have happened to XBL/PSN if there were already a healthy alternative available for free. Tidal is suffering the way Windows Live did against Steam/GoG./etc. If you want to charge for something like this, you have to control the ecosystem and prevent anyone else from competing with you.

linsivvi

This is what would have happened to XBL/PSN if there were already a healthy alternative available for free. Tidal is suffering the way Windows Live did against Steam/GoG./etc. If you want to charge for something like this, you have to control the ecosystem and prevent anyone else from competing with you.

Well to be fair, the record labels they are in bed with (but pretend that they aren't) are actively trying to do that by pressuring everyone else to increase prices.

Not that it will be successful, but they are trying.

DagsJT

Not sure how many people in here realise there's a $10 option just the same as Spotify. So many bashing it for being double the price of Spotify and I'm pretty sure some of these people dont realise the $20 isn't the only option.

Haters gonna hate though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not sure how many people in here realise there's a $10 option just the same as Spotify. So many bashing it for being double the price of Spotify and I'm pretty sure some of these people dont realise the $20 isn't the only option.

Funnily enough, while I agree, it is not up to the consumer to be educated on their product. That's just another failing of Tidal.

Guevara

If you think about the last few years we've see hardware go high-end/expensive (Beats, more expensive phones, Apple Watch Edition, etc.)

But we've see services stay free or relatively cheap (Spotify Premium is $10, Netflix is $10, HBO is $15; a little further away Office 365 is ~$10/month. To get away with charging more you pretty much have to be a cable alternative).

Enco

No shock there.

Shame no one is giving Spotify a run for their money though. They need to get their ass into gear and sort out their developers.

There's much more to people's disdain of Tidal than the price. They built their entire philosophy on how they're so much better and more moral than Spotify and Pandora, when they aren't. In some ways, they're even worse. They don't seem to respect their audience and lied about it being for the artists. It's insulting.

The $20 tier is what they devised to combat their competitors, but to enjoy it, one has to have high data caps and expensive headphones or a good sound system. Juxtaposing that with claims that they're going to "save music" and "revolutionize the industry" makes it sounds like they're guilting you into spending a fuckload of money for the sake of people who are already rich. It's the subtext that's enraging people. On paper, they're similar, but framing changes everything.

Floridian

Kanye stepping away from it. Tidal was just a Fad.

Jay Z's streaming service Tidal isn't doing so well. It already bricked on the Apple app store, and it appears that the service has lost the social support of one of its biggest supporters yet: Kanye West has deleted his tweets about the company. Ye, who appears in the multiple commercials for the service and stood on stage next to Jay during the weird press conference, has erased any mention of the company on his Twitter feed. Not only that, but he changed his profile picture back from the Tidal logo to the George Condo, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy picture.

G9ONDZE.gif

I love how apparently they're signing the fucking declaration of independence. Like this bullshit is worth all the press.

Glad this failed. The whole way they presented this was so damn pretentious. Bunch of fucking millionaires patting themselves on the back.

Exactly why i'm happy it failed.

Seeing Beyonce, Madonna, Jay-Zzz and all these rich artists, who don't give a fuck about people, trying to sell us something as if they're starving or something is why i'm happy it failed and a better service like Spotify is here.

TomShoe

Banned
Lmao. I'm not going to start paying for something that was free because a bunch of celebs told me to. They don't give a fuck about me. All they care about is getting to my credit card.

There's much more to people's disdain of Tidal than the price. They built their entire philosophy on how they're so much better and more moral than Spotify and Pandora, when they aren't. In some ways, they're even worse. They don't seem to respect their audience and lied about it being for the artists. It's insulting.

The $20 tier is what they devised to combat their competitors, but to enjoy it, one has to have high data caps and expensive headphones or a good sound system. Juxtaposing that with claims that they're going to "save music" and "revolutionize the industry" makes it sounds like they're guilting you into spending a fuckload of money for the sake of people who are already rich. It's the subtext that's enraging people. On paper, they're similar, but framing changes everything.

They never lied. They never even talked about anything in detail. Like I said before, this hate for the service is really overrated. Especially considering that in the past few weeks Tidal has improved it's artist customer service more than Spotify in the same time.

Like for example

Tidal Discovery will allow independent artists to upload directly

In an interview with Smashd, Tidal's Chief Information Officer Vania Schlogel discussed the upcoming Discovery feature for the service -- the ability for indie acts to upload music directly. Why is this a big deal? Well, for the likes of Spotify, those musicians have to go through a third-party service like CD Baby or TuneCore to get their music in the apps. Since record labels typically handle licensing deals with subscription services, if you're unsigned, you have to find another middleman. What's more, all artists will have access to Tidal's dashboard, where they can see exactly who's listening to their music and get contact info for each person. That's how Jay Z and Jack White were able to offer those thank-you calls last week.

I want disruptors and even if I'm not buying into all of them, I at least want more artists to have options. Spotify should not be the end all be all. Tone deaf marketing whatever aside, they are doing much more dedicated campaigns to get more artists than Spotify imo. They are building on standards that Spotify doesn't even have like the ability to play Playlist from all different services. So yes, I feel like the hate is coming from the fact that rich artist want to have a say in the music industry who happen to be rich and have the power to get that message across than some suit who wants more greed above all.

royalan

They never lied. They never even talked about anything in detail. Like I said before, this hate for the service is really overrated. Especially considering that in the past few weeks Tidal has improved it's artist customer service more than Spotify in the same time.

Like for example

Tidal Discovery will allow independent artists to upload directly

I want disruptors and even if I'm not buying into all of them, I at least want more artists to have options. Spotify should not be the end all be all. Tone deaf marketing whatever aside, they are doing much more dedicated campaigns to get more artists than Spotify imo. They are building on standards that Spotify doesn't even have like the ability to play Playlist from all different services. So yes, I feel like the hate is coming from the fact that rich artist want to have a say in the music industry who happen to be rich and have the power to get that message across than some suit who wants more greed above all.

Talked about everything? Sis, nobody on Team Tidal has given any specifics on the payout structure, and no one in support of Tidal has given up the deets either. The only thing we really know is that Tidal alleges that they will pay out 5% more to artists than Spotify but, really, that ain't nothing to write home about, and it certainly doesn't fit the "WE'RE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!" narrative.

People don't hate this because it's Jay Z. People hate this because it's a shitty service, offers nothing worthwhile over the competition, was launched in THE worst way imaginable, and forced the naive to come to grips with the fact that their favorite artists don't give a shit about "The Music" or them... And because it's Jay Z.

Maximo

now-comes-the-part-where-we-throw-our-heads-back-in-laughter.gif

Darknight

The only good thing about Tidal was having all those artists on the same stage. I love some of their music. Wish Usher would be all pimp and trying to make a move on all the ladies while Jay be like "back of bitch, she mine!".

Talked about everything? Sis, nobody on Team Tidal has given any specifics on the payout structure, and no one in support of Tidal has given up the deets either. The only thing we really know is that Tidal alleges that they will pay out 5% more to artists than Spotify but, really, that ain't nothing to write home about, and it certainly doesn't fit the "WE'RE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!" narrative.

People don't hate this because it's Jay Z. People hate this because it's a shitty service, offers nothing worthwhile over the competition, was launched in THE worst way imaginable, and forced the naive to come to grips with the fact that their favorite artists don't give a shit about "The Music" or them... And because it's Jay Z.

The funny joke about this is Tidal is being raked over the COILS just for not talking about everything, but Spotify literally had to be pressed until almost extinction to talk. They never gave any specifics about payout when they launched. No one in support of Spotify has ever said anything about it. They were pretty much DOA when they first arrived on the scene as well. But you know what happened to Spotify later on,

They expanded their library
They expanded their global footprint
They expanded their funding because they were just a small startup

They had a CHANCE to become what they are today. The problem with Tidal is that they haven't got a CHANCE to explain or even remotely show anyone what they really are in it for. I'm not going to argue the marketing because it does suck and it does present the company PERCEPTION as being rich musicians crying about not being paid enough when that's not the real issue. I do believe that the service is dedicated on bringing artist front and center and spreading that wealth somewhere. I don't agree with putting bigger artist upfront as the showcase for this service, however, producers and big hit people do have some pull in this industry against those big publishers that do try to get away with their bull minus Taylor Swift. At the end of the day, these artist that we find "rich" still don't have the pocketbooks to shell out money and screw around the way that Apple, and Google can.

At this point, i'm moving off the subject. At the end of the day, wanting this service to fail is stupid, ridiculous, hypocritical and disgusting at best. The hate is coming from people who aren't a fan of the people involved but not from people who are really looking for the answers to figure out what this industry needs to do to help smaller artist do away with big publishers taking away their rights as well as cutting those middle men out.

I think Tidal has a long way to go, but I refuse to count it out. So far, the things that they have reached out to do that really does separate them from Spotify is going unnoticed but people already made up their mind about the service. Sooner or later from now, I feel like it's going to comeback and be that service it was actually designed to be. I'm sorry but I'm optimistic and it's not because it's Jay Z. He bought the service but it existed before him.

Any reason why it's funny? Explain?

I'm sorry I'm actually paying attention to the small changes that of course, everyone wants to ignore because of reasons....

Slayven

Yep, if they had come out the pocket straight "We doing lossless music, and we going to pay the artist a little bit more. Blah, blah" . No one would have said shit, but they came out talking to folks like they were stupid, and now they getting clowned for it. Rightfully so.

They never lied. They never even talked about anything in detail.

I would say there's an element of untruth that building a platform on being "more fair for the artist" and more benevolent than your competitors and then offering the same unfair revenue distribution model that their competitors use. Their lack of transparency does not absolve them of not being truthful to their audience. After claiming how it was good for artists, they should have talked about their revenue distribution model and how it would be different and more fair.

But they didn't. Because for label-signees, it isn't anything different or more fair. It may be different for independents, but for artists already on a label, Tidal isn't that much better than the companies they're slagging.

And we're not saying Spotify is the One True streaming service, it's just that Tidal's advertising team thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with Spotify and Pandora and we just like them better.

Tidal is not a disruptor; it's just a brand new competitor. That doesn't mean it'll change things up just by entering the market.Tidal wants to be for everyone, but its special features that make it unique are basically only for rich audiophiles. The audiophile market is very niche, but untested. There may be a place for Tidal there. But they want Spotify's, Pandora's and Rdio's audience, too.

Tidal dived into a red ocean with that, so they'll struggle in convincing people to change services without some very drastic, consumer-oriented changes. And if they want to back up their claims of being good for artists, they're going to have to do more for them, too. I'm talking using their power to strong-arm the labels into more fair distribution deals with artists, and lower -not higher- price points for consumers.

Do you think we hate them because we're jealous? That makes absolutely no sense. We're mad because they tried to guilt trip us into making a bad financial decision and their lofty claims don't add up. If these rich artists really wanted to make things better for artists less powerful and rich than they were, they should have picked a fight with the major labels and lessened their power. Not increased the size of the pie so more just so happens to trickle down to the artists on labels.

Slayven

When Jay drop that line about a 6 dollar bottle of water, everyone in the company should have started polishing up their resumes.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Kanye not supporting anymore? Brings me such joy to see this service go from bad to worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom