• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 in Tokyo Dome [OT] The Omega Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

deli2000

Yes, at the expense of making him look miles away from Okada, if you bought Kenny as being anywhere close to winning at any moment during the match you're nothing but a mark

The dude needed 4 rainmakers and 2 tombstones to put him down.

Ithil

Undeniably. This entire match was built around the One Winged Angel being lethal and Okada knowing it and doing absolutely everything in his power to avoid it. Would love to see WWE matches built this way to protect finishers.

Which is funnily enough how the Rainmaker was built up, as a totally lethal one hit kill everyone avoided til the end of the match. Now in big matches they'll kick out of one but it took a few years.

Heroman

Banned
Yes, at the expense of making him look miles away from Okada, if you bought Kenny as being anywhere close to winning at any moment during the match you're nothing but a mark
Then I'm the biggest mark ever cause pro wrestling is at it's best when I can believe anyone can when

Says the salty mark who's whining about the booker who put Omega in the main event of their biggest show of the year.

Incredible match and show.

Jamie OD

Ugh, thats like last year. I really thought there will be at least 30k this year.

Still good considering people thought the company would fall apart without Shinsuke and AJ Styles. And there is also Roland_Gunner's point about not including comps in the number.

That was a lot to watch with ya'll, especially that 5 star classic main event which I'm never gonna forget seeing. What a batshit crazy match.

I think if I do this next year I'm gonna sleep through the first two hours, though. It wasn't bad, but not worth feeling like a zombie for the rest of the day.

Ithil

There may very well be a mark here but you might be surprised at their identity.

Pikma

Banned
Isn't that a good thing? No one kicked out of his finish, but he kicked out of the Rainmaker.

If anything he actually protected that move
Again, how can you get the sense of him being anywhere close to beating the booker's darling if you can't even hit one finishing move in a promotion where it's pretty usual for big matches to have multiple finishing move spots

Syder

What? Even by the end Kenny probably had 60% of the offense. Kenny will get another shot at Okada and win.

miserable

Which is funnily enough how the Rainmaker was built up, as a totally lethal one hit kill everyone avoided til the end of the match. Now in big matches they'll kick out of one but it took a few years.

Only Tana has kicked out of it before, no?

Foggy

Again, how can you get the sense of him being anywhere close to beating the booker's darling if you can't even hit one finishing move in a promotion where it's pretty usual for big matches to have multiple finishing move spots

Because as you're watching the match, it's communicated that the finisher is being protected more than the other guy's. Which says it can and will end when it connects. There's your suspense. There's your investment.

Jamie OD

Don't be dense.

Heroman

Banned
Here the thing Pikma , they made a junior wrestler into a heavyweight worldwide superstar in a span of a year to and make him to a monster by defeat by their top guy by not allowing the monster heel to use his finisher and be able to kickout of the top guy's finisher multiple times. That probably the greatest booking of the century.

Here the thing Pikma , they made a junior wrestler into a heavyweight worldwide superstar in a span of a year to and make him to a monster by defeat by their top guy by not allowing the monster heel to use his finisher and be able to kickout of the top guy's finisher multiple times.

That is a super good point.

What a fucking incredible match.

Pikma

Banned
Because as you're watching the match, it's communicated that the finisher is being protected more than the other guy's. Which says it can and will end when it connects. There's your suspense. There's your investment.
How many one winged angels did it take him to beat Naito? You're a fool if you think Okada was going to get pinned after only one

Foggy

How many one winged angels did it take him to beat Naito? You're a fool if you think Okada was going to get pinned after only one

If that's the story they're going to tell, then I'm not being a fool, I'm paying attention. You're drunk.

Pikma

Banned
Well I stand corrected, point still stands tho, great match but Gedo protected his pal too much as always

Or maybe I'm the fucking mark for thinking a gaijin could win a WK main event

UberTag

Well I stand corrected, point still stands tho, great match but Gedo protected his pal too much as always

Or maybe I'm the fucking mark for thinking a gaijin could win a WK main event
A gaijin just won the G1 tournament for the first time last year. Baby steps.

Heroman

Banned
So apparently on the English commentary:
The entire match Kevin Kelly and King Corino mentioned that Kenny needs to hit the 1 winged angel to become champion and Kenny never did.

Heroman

Banned
Like I said before, Kenny Omega has a amazing storylines here. He has beaten Tanahashi, Natio , GOTO etc but Okada. When he does it will be tremendous.

Ithil

A gaijin just won the G1 tournament for the first time last year. Baby steps.

Also, how would it look if Okada lost in his first WK since officially becoming the "Ace" after beating Tanahashi last year? Tanahashi main evented, and won, Wrestle Kingdom 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 in a row for his longest streak.

I fully expect Omega to take the belt some time this year now.

They did one at wk 6 irrc when Okada challenge Tanahashi.

Ah, that'd be the source of my confusion then, cheers.

Also, how would it look if Okada lost in his first WK since officially becoming the "Ace" after beating Tanahashi last year? Tanahashi main evented, and won, Wrestle Kingdom 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 in a row for his longest streak.

I fully expect Omega to take the belt some time this year now.

Pretty much. The idea Gedo was just "protecting his pal" is hilarious, he's their biggest fucking star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom