• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Dominion 6.11 in Osaka-jo Hall [OT] Legend of the Seven Stars

I said weeks ago Cody was gonna face Okada in Long Beach after he retained. It's been completely obvious given how they've been using him and building him.

It's not preferable, but was totally predictable.

It's too soon. The match will mean more if you wait.

Long Beach is big, but it doesn't need that match or that title switch. Especially so after the match they just had.

And as the post match indicates, they are treating this more as an Okada defense than any immediate uncertainty.

Total waste of a draw to treat it like a normal successful defense.

Imagine watching that draw thinking omg I have tickets for G1 Long Beach I'm getting Okada/Omega 3 only to see nope I'm getting Okada vs fucking Bad Luck Cody.

I said weeks ago Cody was gonna face Okada in Long Beach father he retained. It's been completely obvious given how they've been using him and building him.

It's not preferable, but was totally predictable.

I remember you saying that and I remember feeling sad when you did.

Way to take the air out of the sails Cody you fucking garbage.

Hex

Banned
LOL @ this celebration for a draw.

Another thing, this match probably needed to be watched live. The feeling, the tension, the emotion we felt wouldn't be the same knowing the result going in.

Not a celebration, they do these conferences after every event

Total waste of a draw to treat it like a normal successful defense.

Imagine watching that draw thinking omg I have tickets for G1 Long Beach I'm getting Okada/Omega 3 only to see nope I'm getting Okada vs fucking Bad Luck Cody.

You are completely ignorant of NJPW booking if you think they'd do a match of that level twice in three weeks.

And it's not being treated as a normal defense. It's part of the overall story. It's just not going to be a "oh it was a draw so we obviously have to have an immediate rematch" situation.

People thinking Japan was going to give Omega/Okada 3 away to America is insane though.

Thats true, but I think people are just saying what they would like to see. Cody just doesn't belong in that spot.

There is absolutely no way they would hot shot another rematch so soon. Absolutely no way. I can't even imagine when they will do it now.

So unless Omega's feeling towards NJPW completely plummet and he's out of there. He has to win the G1 right? I could see them doing Cody vs Kenny in the G1 finals.

Edit: Fuck, I forgot that Naito dropped the IC belt. Kenny's about to get shuffled out of the title picture before WK.

So unless Omega's feeling towards NJPW completely plummet and he's out of there. He has to win the G1 right? I could see them doing Cody vs Kenny in the G1 finals.

Edit: Fuck, I forgot that Naito dropped the IC belt. Kenny's about to get shuffled out of the title picture before WK.

Cody isn't in the G1 anymore.

And I don't think Kenny's feelings need to plummet. He can love it there and still leave if he gets a blow-away offer.

You are completely ignorant of NJPW booking if you think they'd do a match of that level twice in three weeks.

And it's not being treated as a normal defense. It's part of the overall story. It's just not going to be a "oh it was a draw so we obviously have to have an immediate rematch" situation.

They also don't do big "we want to expand into the US" shows very often

New situation call for different ideas.

They want a big US breakthrough you get a better shot at that with Omega/Okada 3 fresh off the greatest draw in wrestling history than you do with fucking Okada vs Cody fucking mediocre.

Foggy

Huh, hadn't considered that's the path forward. It's hard to imagine him being a repeat winner, especially with Naito free from the IC belt. Wonder if they're essentially putting Kenny on ice considering he lost and the draw was framed as him barely surviving.

Brinbe

Not a celebration, they do these conferences after every event

Nah, not that. The confetti explosion

And I read it elsewhere (and it makes sense), but the Cody thing is just a ploy to get casual WWE viewers hooked because there's a familiar face involved. Doesn't make it right (becaue Cody isn't a main event level guy, talent-wise) but that's the idea.

The true test of Okada's ace abilities, can he drag a decent match outta Cody.

Hex

Banned
The confetti?
Speech to the crowd?
Gedo verbally felatiating him?

Gedo's job is hype man for him.
It comes with the territory.
As far as the speech to the crowd I have seen the loser give the speech many times, and the winner.

As far as the confetti, don't be a mark.
Time limit, champion remains.
Champ gets the show.

There was no big talking, no event feel.
They both put the match over, and Okada put Kenny over.

They also don't do big "we want to expand into the US" shows very often

New situation call for different ideas.

They want a big US breakthrough you get a better shot at that with Omega/Okada 3 fresh off the greatest draw in wrestling history than you do with fucking Okada vs Cody fucking mediocre.

You don't need that match. Not there. You can have just a really great overall card and still sell tickets and create buzz. People will buzz over the match we just saw, irrelevant of where it took place.

You don't need that match. Not there. You can have just a really great overall card and still sell tickets and create buzz. People will buzz over the match we just saw, irrelevant of where it took place.

I'm aware I'm just saying you should put your best when you're trying to get a new market.

People would have remembered Okada/Omega 3

No one is going to remember Okada/Cody.

Cody was tolerable before this. Now he can just fuck off

HeavenlyE

I'm aware I'm just saying you should put your best when you're trying to get a new market.

People would have remembered Okada/Omega 3

No one is going to remember Okada/Cody.

Cody was tolerable before this. Now he can just fuck off
Yeah it's crazy NJPW is letting him book their events

having another okada/omega rematch makes no sense to have so soon no matter how good the match would be

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Whether we like it or not, I can see New Japan's logic here.

Cody is absolutely the most recognizable guy they have in America. No matter how popular or well-known Kenny gets, Cody will always be more well-known just because of his years of WWE exposure. If New Japan wants to put fresh American eyes on the company, I can absolutely see why they'd go with Cody. It makes sense.

That said, as much as I like Cody, he's not on the level of the IWGP title. That won't stop New Japan from putting it on him if they think it'll bring in the American $$$ though. Not saying I think they should or will, mind. But if they do I will not be shocked.

Whether we like it or not, I can see New Japan's logic here.

Cody is absolutely the most recognizable guy they have in America. No matter how popular or well-known Kenny gets, Cody will always be more well-known just because of his years of WWE exposure. If New Japan wants to put fresh American eyes on the company, I can absolutely see why they'd go with Cody. It makes sense.

That said, as much as I like Cody, he's not on the level of the IWGP title. That won't stop New Japan from putting it on him if they think it'll bring in the American $$$ though.

Bullshit.

On the Indy scene which is what NJPW is in Long Beach Cody is 100% not the most visible.

Look at the ROH show dude Omega was a fucking superstar. Shit Bucks and Omega got a Hot Topic deal and Cody us a hang on in that.

Brinbe

Bullshit.

On the Indy scene which is what NJPW is in Long Beach Cody is 100% not the most visible.

Look at the ROH show dude Omega was a fucking superstar. Shit Bucks and Omega got a Hot Topic deal and Cody us a hang on in that.

It's not about Long Beach, it's about getting people to tune into the live broadcast on AXS. That's the thing you're forgetting. They already long-sold the building out and they would've done so regardless of the card. It's about trying to further building a TV audience in the States. And Cody is arguably (not to say Kenny doesn't have some mainstream popularity, he IS in Tekken after all) more recognizable than Kenny and that's what carny-ass wrestling is at a certain level.

It's not purely about talent, it's about reach, it's about dollars, it's about business. JUST LOOK AT FUCKING JINDER!

True, but at the end of the day most people still just want to have a good time. Even moreso considering over half the crowd is flying into town. Fingers crossed.

If it comes across as heel heat it'll probably be fine.

I'm sure it'll be an awesome show either way.

HeavenlyE

His promo was shit

I disagree, lets not talk about promos since Cody is easily the best promo guy in the bullet club which they've all admitted.

Really don't understand the anger like they're actually gonna put the title on Cody when its clearly just a filler match like Bad Luck Fale's was

Top Bottom