• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 in Tokyo Dome [OT] The Omega Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

Watched the first 3 hours live but conked out at the beginning of the Jr. title match.

I came to, headed to work and decided to just watch the last two matches. Another set of fantastic matches. I'm glad Omega kept the cheese strictly to his entrance and dropped it as soon as the match started.

I will watch the Jr. title match and Never match tonight. I didn't mind getting spoiled on the results since I was pretty sure of the outcome to the Never match (which I'm happy about because it's time for Shibata to be in the main event already) and I wasn't really invested in the Jr. title match.

Okada/Omega clocked in at 46:45. Lord.

Getting half-way through the show now, I fell asleep after the Rumble haha.

Something I just remembered, why did NJPW drop their partnership with the NWA? I thought R. Bruce Tharpe-desu was hilarious.

Getting half-way through the show now, I fell asleep after the Rumble haha.

Something I just remembered, why did NJPW drop their partnership with the NWA? I thought R. Bruce Tharpe-desu was hilarious.

NJPW was trying to break into the US market so they dipped their feet into a few different promotions for a partnership, namely the NWA, Global Force Wrestling, and Ring of Honor. Of those partnerships the only one that has really worked out is ROH, so they've pretty much dropped the other two. The only real remnant of the NWA partnership is Chase Owens, who came in to defend the NWA Jr. Title, was brought back as a member of Bullet Club and tours with them regularly.

NJPW was trying to break into the US market so they dipped their feet into a few different promotions for a partnership, namely the NWA, Global Force Wrestling, and Ring of Honor. Of those partnerships the only one that has really worked out is ROH, so they've pretty much dropped the other two. The only real remnant of the NWA partnership is Chase Owens, who came in to defend the NWA Jr. Title, was brought back as a member of Bullet Club and tours with them regularly.

I actually liked what they did for WK9 showcasing talent from the NWA and the GFW (lol, Jarrett and D'Amore I guess). Made the event look so much bigger.

I actually liked what they did for WK9 showcasing talent from the NWA and the GFW (lol, Jarrett and D'Amore I guess). Made the event look so much bigger.

That was actually the original purpose of the Wrestle Kingdom name, it was to showcase talent from other promotions, not just NJPW. In fact, the name was originally to cross-promote a video game that Yukes (NJPW's owners at the time, and also devs of the WWE games) were making at the time, but the name has continued onto NJPW's new ownership under Bushiroad (a maker of card and mobile games). The first one was specifically an NJPW/AJPW crossover show, while the second one brought in TNA and the third also had talent from NOAH, ZERO-1, and CMLL. It wasn't until around WK7 that the shows became mostly NJPW-only.

Clegg

Just finished the main event. Great match but Naito/Tana was better. Did eveything you want from a 25 minute match. No wasted time or motion. Okada/Kenny was very, very good but you could have cut 10 minutes from the it.

sora87

What a show, especially the last 3 matches, holy shit! I forgot to breathe a few times during the Okada/Omega match, Omega really is the most fun wrestler to watch on the planet right now.

Why can't wwe let their wrestlers go like this? :(

Scotia

Banned
Finally watched the whole show after falling asleep this morning and missing most of it. The only match that didn't invest me was the ROH Championship match, but it was still decent.

Okada vs Omega was absolutely fucking phenomenal. It's the 4th of January and I'm already thinking this will end up as MOTY. Absolutely incredible. I'm showing all my wrestling friends this match when I go back to uni on Friday.

Shout outs to KUSHIDA/Takahashi match, the Naito/Tananashi match and the Shibata and Goto matches. They were all fantastic as well.

Absolutely worth the sub to New Japan World for this.

Jamie OD

What a show, especially the last 3 matches, holy shit! I forgot to breathe a few times during the Okada/Omega match, Omega really is the most fun wrestler to watch on the planet right now.

Why can't wwe let their wrestlers go like this? :(

Schedule is a big reason. WWE has little to no recovery time with TV and several house shows every week and a lot of travel inbetween. New Japan has a show tomorrow but after that is a week long break and even then the next few shows are part of a crossover tour with CMLL. So a lot of the matches will be handled by the visiting luchadors and the regulars get time to rest and recover.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Goddamn what a show. I only had about 2 hours sleep before watching the show, and by the time it ended, I was way too hyped to go to sleep. I don't even know where I'd rank this in the handful of WK's I've seen in full. There was no Gracie disaster like WK8 so it's got that going for it.

I'm honestly conflicted on which was better, the IC or the Heavyweight title match. I was more excited to see Naito/Tanahashi than Omega/Okada, but the latter two had me at the edge of my seat way more than the former. I knew they were going to have a great match but this blew away my expectations.

I'm actually glad Okada won. As great as Kenny is, I feel like he would have lost the championship to Okada at Dominion anyway and possibly lose the rematch at KOPW like AJ did back in 2015. Not a bad run, but it would have been a bit too short for my liking. Plus, I think with this match, the crowd is going to start rooting for Kenny more and possibly lead to a face turn in the future.

I feel like they really want to get behind him, but I think the Cleaner gimmick, and probably more than anything, him insisting on speaking English instead of Japanese, is holding him back from the breakout star he should be. I can see why he doesn't want to speak it, since he's a heel and the crowd pops every time he does, but I don't see why he doesn't just cut heel Japanese promos. As much as I like his promos, it gets pretty damn awkward at times when he's cutting an over the top promo and there's nothing but silence with some polite applause sprinkled here and there. It's one thing to have Yujiro cutting a promo, but having the leader of the Bullet Club cut one in Japanese can give the group a shot in the arm it needs.

Overall, great show and a ton of surprises. I went 50-50 in my picks, although I think the biggest surprise was Adam Cole winning the ROH title back so soon. I thought they'd give O'Reilly at least 1 win.

That was actually the original purpose of the Wrestle Kingdom name, it was to showcase talent from other promotions, not just NJPW. In fact, the name was originally to cross-promote a video game that Yukes (NJPW's owners at the time, and also devs of the WWE games) were making at the time, but the name has continued onto NJPW's new ownership under Bushiroad (a maker of card and mobile games). The first one was specifically an NJPW/AJPW crossover show, while the second one brought in TNA and the third also had talent from NOAH, ZERO-1, and CMLL. It wasn't until around WK7 that the shows became mostly NJPW-only.

Yeah, the original Wrestle Kingdom game had NJPW, AJPW and NOAH wrestlers, along with some freelancers. It came out in 2005, but the first Wrestle Kingdom show was in 2007 with the 2nd Wrestle Kingdom game coming out later in that year, this time, without NOAH.

I have no doubt that if the NOAH/NJPW partnership was still around, we would have seen some Noah wrestlers, or even some GHC title matches last night.

4:30 AM Eastern.

Yup, it will have English commentary as well.

No word yet on the card but typically it's not announced until the show itself.

This is essentially NJPW's Raw after Wrestlemania, it will feature WK11 fallout and will lead into The New Beginning PPVs. Already one match is confirmed for those, as Michael Elgin challenged Naito for the IC belt in a backstage interview.

Hex

Banned
I fucking hate that they only let you google cast it for a while.
I still have to watch the main event and the option is gone.

Hex

Banned
I just plug my laptop into my TV through HDMI. Works like a charm.

I rebooted my pc and it worked, much appreciated.

THAT FUCKING MATCH.
I legit thought Kenny was dead, then I legit thought Okada was going to be paralyzed, then....god damn back and forth.... SOO GOOD.

So Dave Meltzer gave Okada/Omega 6 Stars and called it perhaps the greatest match he has ever seen. This marks the first match ever to officially receive a 6 star rating outside of a Flair/Steamboat match at a house show in 1989 he saw first-hand.

So I just finished watching New Year Dash, and...well...holy fuck.

SUZUKI-GUN IS BACK!!!

pbayne

Just caught up loved it. 100% love the Ingonerables sweep. Lol Tana's new theme sucking was probably the biggest downside of the night. What can you say about Okada and Omega-out of this world.

Looking forward, i really hope this is Shibata's time to be pushed into the main event.

FUCK that Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA match was good. Felt dangerous and out of control, the trademark of the Kamaitachi/Hiromu match.

FUCK Goto vs. Shibata was beautiful.
V6hb7fnV.jpg

Tall4Life

Need some quick takes before I fire this up. Should I do English commentary?

I'd recommend Japanese everytime. You won't understand what they're saying (I didn't, I don't know Japanese) but they get more and more excited as the matches goes on and at the end they're shouting at the top of the lungs feeling the hype, which makes YOU feel the hype. The English announcers make too many quips and then don't really get into the excitement of the match. It is a completely inferior experience listening with English commentary.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
Japanese commentary is always superior, except for the IWGP tag match with Corino busting up laughing at all the swearing.

I'd recommend Japanese everytime. You won't understand what they're saying (I didn't, I don't know Japanese) but they get more and more excited as the matches goes on and at the end they're shouting at the top of the lungs feeling the hype, which makes YOU feel the hype. The English announcers make too many quips and then don't really get into the excitement of the match. It is a completely inferior experience listening with English commentary.

Yeah, I was mostly interested in if the English commentary was good on its own. I heard JR is supposed to commentate some rebroadcast of this?

Also, hey! Its Billy Gunn!

shaowebb

Glad Goto got the win. Honestly I would love to see him vs Shibata again. The two just work so well together with their hard hitting flurries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom