• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls III...STAMINA GREEN

Mindlog

I died a few times to this boss and hated the run back so much that I just kept practicing on other people's bosses until I had it down cold. There are a few things you can do to make the boss easier, but it takes a while to learn. My slow ass Zweihander eventually learned what to do.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I rarely if ever totally lose my cool--today it was literal cuz it was seriously unbearable in my office. I really should have probably not even attempted to stream, because I was sweating before I even turned the dang camera on. So, really, things like people commenting about a boss being easy is really NO big deal at all and would usually be something I'd make a joke about. So, I feel kinda lame that I lost it, but hey, shit happens. I don't think there's any need to crack down on chat. Like 99.9 % of the time the chat on my channel is super cool and friendly, and I feel very lucky and grateful for that! It's sorta on me to know when maybe I just should NOT stream-- like when my office is an oven and its putting me in a tired and cranky mood.

So...onward and upward. At least now you got to see me as the cranky old Jew I really am!

Kisses!

Shy

I rarely if ever totally lose my cool--today it was literal cuz it was seriously unbearable in my office. I really should have probably not even attempted to stream, because I was sweating before I even turned the dang camera on. So, really, things like people commenting about a boss being easy is really NO big deal at all and would usually be something I'd make a joke about. So, I feel kinda lame that I lost it, but hey, shit happens. I don't think there's any need to crack down on chat. Like 99.9 % of the time the chat on my channel is super cool and friendly, and I feel very lucky and grateful for that! It's sorta on me to know when maybe I just should NOT stream-- like when my office is an oven and its putting me in a tired and cranky mood.

So...onward and upward. At least now you got to see me as the cranky old Jew I really am!

Kisses!
cmf7hDd.gif

Grinchy

Banned
Just getting around to the stream now. The story about accidentally buying DS3 and Gungeon is hilarious. I remember someone making a thread a long time ago about using their PS3 controller on PC and accidentally buying things on PS3.

UrbanRats

If that's losing it, I better never stream myself playing Dark Souls, lol.

Don't worry Jeff, you'll get that fucker next time.

The thing about Crystal Sage is that yes, it is an easy boss in the grand scheme of things, but it is deceptively so.
Although it's weak to attacks, and doesn't smash you as hard as the big armored dudes you usually face, it's very easy to get ganked by a swarm of projectiles from off screen.
So basically, the fact that it is so "weak" on a 1 on 1 level, lulls you into a sense of security that is fatal, when his clones come up and start spamming shit from all angles, and at that point it's easy to get staggered to death with even one false roll.

People who call it easy, are probably more familiar with a shieldless build and are used to moving around swiftly, dodging multiple attacks.
I know that's the type of "skill" that helped me in that fight (though admittedly I didn't have much trouble, but exactly for that reason).

In short, spatial awareness is everything with that boss fight, and you sort of have to predict/assume, that a projectile is coming your way, even if can't see it.
Which makes it possibly more tricky than a 1 on 1 big dude sparring match, depending on your play style.

So yeah, don't feel too bad about it.

Zafir

Yeah i mean you could tell you didn't have your head fully in the game, Jeff. Hopefully it's not as hot the next time you stream!
Just getting around to the stream now. The story about accidentally buying DS3 and Gungeon is hilarious. I remember someone making a thread a long time ago about using their PS3 controller on PC and accidentally buying things on PS3.
Yeah I remember that lol.

If that's losing it, I better never stream myself playing Dark Souls, lol.

Don't worry Jeff, you'll get that fucker next time.

The thing about Crystal Sage is that yes, it is an easy boss in the grand scheme of things, but it is deceptively so.
Although it's weak to attacks, and doesn't smash you as hard as the big armored dudes you usually face, it's very easy to get ganked by a swarm of projectiles from off screen.
So basically, the fact that it is so "weak" on a 1 on 1 level, lulls you into a sense of security that is fatal, when his clones come up and start spamming shit from all angles, and at that point it's easy to get staggered to death with even one false roll.

People who call it easy, are probably more familiar with a shieldless build and are used to moving around swiftly, dodging multiple attacks.
I know that's the type of "skill" that helped me in that fight (though admittedly I didn't have much trouble, but exactly for that reason).

In short, spatial awareness is everything with that boss fight, and you sort of have to predict/assume, that a projectile is coming your way, even if can't see it.
Which makes it possibly more tricky than a 1 on 1 big dude sparring match, depending on your play style.

So yeah, don't feel too bad about it.

It never spawned duplicates my first time fighting it because I would break through the crystals on the ground I think. If you do that, the boss is potentially super easy. I hope Jeff takes to doing that next time.

Mindlog

For what it's worth Lobos spent around a dozen hours on one boss. Probably even more.
Lobos just completed an SL1 run.

Zafir

It never spawned duplicates my first time fighting it because I would break through the crystals on the ground I think. If you do that, the boss is potentially super easy. I hope Jeff takes to doing that next time.

You can break those? xD

I didn't have much problems because I'm just used to dodging projectiles.

I also killed that T
he
O
ne
R
eborn
on my first try in Bloodborne without killing the mages above because I didn't even realise you could kill them until I then put my mark down to help people afterwards. xD

I think it's very much different people struggle with different bosses in Souls games.

I was watching some of Jeff's streams over the weekend. Frustrating to see him at half health and charging towards enemies without healing first! Come on, Jeff! You've played more than enough Souls games to stop doing this by now, haha.

You can break those? xD

I didn't have much problems because I'm just used to dodging projectiles.

I also killed that T
he
O
ne
R
eborn
on my first try in Bloodborne without killing the mages above because I didn't even realise you could kill them until I then put my mark down to help people afterwards. xD

I think it's very much different people struggle with different bosses in Souls games.

Yup! You don't even have to roll or attack to break them, either; walking through them does the trick.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Soulsplaining can definitely be a problem, lol. I almost feel like Bloodborne never got this frustrating, but you're doing great Jeff, hang in there.

Well I kept my little comment about locking on to this thread instead of the chat because I didn't think he'd be reading this, ha. So much tension with these games. Hard to not get sucked into the intensity especially when the person playing isn't some speed/challenge running super human.

Clockwork5

Don't worry Jeff! My neighbors across the hall checked to "see if everything was alright" the other night while I was plying Dark Souls.

It was their way of saying "Please stop shouting obscenities at your television."

I think we all know that rage.

Can someone link to the video where Jeff kills Solaire in Dark Souls 1? If have no idea who this character is or how he's important but I always see the chat joke about it.

What's the big deal? As someone who's only played Bloodborne, is there an analogy I can understand?

Can someone link to the video where Jeff kills Solaire in Dark Souls 1? If have no idea who this character is or how he's important but I always see the chat joke about it.

What's the big deal? As someone who's only played Bloodborne, is there an analogy I can understand?

Solaire is the NPC who said "praise the sun" \[T]/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU27uEJ0OUs#t=49m12s
Makes me wish chat was recording. I remember them losing it at Jeff killing Solaire lol

Acorn

lmao that was hilarious

It was so easy in Demon's and Dark Souls to have one accidental button press around an NPC become such a big mess. I think Demon's Souls was even more punishing about it.
Happened to me in 3 with Irina. Picked up my dog and must've hit r2 when bending over, boom dead.

UrbanRats

lmao that was hilarious

It was so easy in Demon's and Dark Souls to have one accidental button press around an NPC become such a big mess. I think Demon's Souls was even more punishing about it.

Especially with the DualShock 3 triggers, it was a nightmare.

I would always keep the empty hands at first, when talking to NPCs.

lmao that was hilarious

In the Nexus, "what does Wrath of God do"? Oh Shit.

I have trained myself to firmly grip the controlLeroy handle and avoid triggers around all npc's.

Zafir

lmao that was hilarious

Yeah. In Demon's Souls I accidentally killed the second blacksmith. Had to wait till New Game+ to do any of the better upgrades or make any boss weapons, lol.

It was partly because there was an enemy near by, I attacked it, and it clipped the guy. At that point I didn't even realise it was an NPC or anything but it was too late.

yonder

I bet Jeff will beat that boss in one or two tries next stream.

Sometimes I wonder what a stream without Jeff reading the chat would be like. It can be so infuriating seeing the backseating sometimes. Just enjoy the stream, folks, no need to control it. Jeff is never going to do everything according to how you think it should be done anyway. If he gots lost or needs help, he can just ask.

That being said, I really enjoy the communal aspect, the funny reactions and the random questions Jeff takes from chat.

Jabronium

Sometimes I wonder what a stream without Jeff reading the chat would be like. It can be so infuriating seeing the backseating sometimes. Just enjoy the stream, folks, no need to control it. Jeff is never going to do everything according to how you think it should be done anyway. If he gots lost or needs help, he can just ask.

That being said, I really enjoy the communal aspect, the funny reactions and the random questions Jeff takes from chat.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now that I'm able to catch the streams live again (Bloodborne was mostly just archives for me), but it feels like the backseating has gotten much worse. Which is a shame because there are so many cool folks in chat, and Jeff's random Q&A's are great.

Grinchy

Banned
The average Twitch viewer does not read stream titles or read the text underneath the video window. I've always wondered if it would help to just have a little line of text on the stream window itself letting people know that gameplay suggestions and spoilers aren't desired.

silva1991

What? I knew I can break cystals, but never noticed it has anything to do with spawning duplicates.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Why have I only discovered this now? I have so much to rewatch

Edit: Oh my god, this is so much better than any other Dark Souls thing I've ever watched (which isn't much to be fair, but still)

Is there a reason why it's category is "Travel and Events" on Youtube?

An-Det

Jeff Green
‏@Greenspeak
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, more Dark Souls 3 livestreaming tonight! 6:30 PM pacific. I'm comin' for ya, Crystal Sage!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I bet when he goes back to those last Bloodborne bosses, he'll see how so much more forgiving it is compared to DS3. Well, Orphan of Koss Portapro might be a bad example of that, but...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Why have I only discovered this now? I have so much to rewatch

Edit: Oh my god, this is so much better than any other Dark Souls thing I've ever watched (which isn't much to be fair, but still)

Is there a reason why it's category is "Travel and Events" on Youtube?

Old people like to travel?

Jintor

anyone know why i can't chat? I can see the chat and type in the box but pressing enter or clicking the send button does jack shit

Ogawa-san

Jeff being blissfully devoured by maggots for a solid 5min had me gesturing more at a VOD than I ever thought I would.

This is why I watch it.

Also for his sweet dancing skills.

LiK

Boy, didn't think Crystal Sage would give him so much trouble. One of the easiest bosses in the game.

I have a lot to catch up on, I'm pretty busy these coming weeks so prepare for more streams with faulty titles and sometimes late YT uploads etc. Just remind me in this thread if stuff is missing etc.

Oh fuck,i can't believe i forgot about this.
Did he upload his previous streams to youtube or something?

Greenspeak on YouTube. :)

silva1991

Boy, didn't think Crystal Sage would give him so much trouble. One of the easiest bosses in the game.

Multiple bosses at once always gave Jeff trouble since Dark Souls 1, it's hardly surprising for me.

it would be funny seeing him fight man eaters or the ivory king and his gankers lol.

LiK

Multiple bosses at once always gave Jeff trouble since Dark Souls 1, it's hardly surprising for me.

it would be funny seeing him fight man eaters or the ivory king and his gankers lol.

Oh man, Abyss Watchers is gonna be hell for him. XD

Top Bottom