• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls III...STAMINA GREEN

Jintor

Common observations from the last three years of souls play

a) Conserve a last bit of stamina to roll out of range instead of going full ham with sword swings; you're always, always, always instead backing off, raising his shield, tanking the hit and then getting ganked when he gets shield broken because of low stamina.

b) Don't keep the shield up when you're out of melee range, and watch their animations carefully to see if they're going to start a ranged attack. Your stamina regens so slow when your shield's up!

c) The dodge has invincibility frames so you can roll right through attacks, you don't always need to dodge and juke manually

Still, Jeff gets a lot done, so if it works for him it works for him. But come on green! Roll!

UrbanRats

Common observations from the last three years of souls play

a) Conserve a last bit of stamina to roll out of range instead of going full ham with sword swings; you're always, always, always instead backing off, raising his shield, tanking the hit and then getting ganked when he gets shield broken because of low stamina.

b) Don't keep the shield up when you're out of melee range, and watch their animations carefully to see if they're going to start a ranged attack. Your stamina regens so slow when your shield's up!

c) The dodge has invincibility frames so you can roll right through attacks, you don't always need to dodge and juke manually

Still, Jeff gets a lot done, so if it works for him it works for him. But come on green! Roll!
He actually knows all this stuff, but only applies it or remembers it after about 20 tries.

If you go look at his winning run at Velstadt, from DkS2, he plays like a straight up good Souls player there.
I suspect the chat/stream also helps distract him.

Jintor

yeah the amount of times he nearly got it in one because he wasn't really thinking about the fight can be really funny

Ogawa-san

Jeff does a lot to entertain us. Bless him.

IoAEWg4.gif

Dineren

Banned
Please someone tell him to
equip a torch!

The best part was when he
pulled out a torch to get a better look around and didn't even realize he had barely staved off death by killing the leeches
. Or maybe he knows all about it and was just trolling chat.

Mindlog

At least 80% of active chat wanted to talk about that directly, but didn't. That took a lot of self-restraint lol. Probably helped that chat was bugged out for some while Twitch sorted some stuff out.

Phinor

Boy, didn't think Crystal Sage would give him so much trouble. One of the easiest bosses in the game.

It might be one of the easiest bosses for most people but there's rarely a Souls boss that is easy for everyone. I died to Crystal Sage more than I died to the last 6-7 bosses combined, including late game optional bosses. Crystal Sage didn't feel like particularly hard boss but I died plenty nevertheless. In fact I'm pretty sure there's only one boss I died more to.

However, it's not going to be the boss that kills Jeff the most. There's plenty more to come :)

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah the thing with the Crystal Sage is that when you're close to killing him, if there are a lot of adds in the area, they are all spamming the machine gun magic. You can die so easily when you're so close to winning.

Then you factor in that Jeff is 38 years old and his reflexes have dimmed a little bit. It's not crazy to think it might be a difficult boss for him. He's making great progress though.

LiK

Yeah the thing with the Crystal Sage is that when you're close to killing him, if there are a lot of adds in the area, they are all spamming the machine gun magic. You can die so easily when you're so close to winning.

Then you factor in that Jeff is 38 years old and his reflexes have dimmed a little bit. It's not crazy to think it might be a difficult boss for him. He's making great progress though.

38?

Grinchy

Banned

Did you think he was younger? He's a youthful man, I'll give you that.

edit- I'm watching the latest stream and I'm cracking up at Jeff pressing "X" on the PS4 controller for a button prompt on the screen meant for Xbox controllers. I feel that pain, Jeff. This is what we put up with when using the PS4 controller in most PC games.

Mindlog

'Jeff Green' is a character played by the old GFW podcast crew. They all take turns putting on the suit. That's why some streams play out so much differently than others.

Ogawa-san

Since the topic was bumped, and just in case twitch decides not to send an alert again: stream coming up in about 2h, it seems.

Jeff Green
‏@Greenspeak
Sorry kidz! Spoke to soon. Real life calls. Dark Souls 3 stream to be later today--around 3:30-4 pm pacific. Will update in a bit!

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Stream today is gonna be at 4 PM Pacific! I'll stream for a coupla hours.

And yeah, Crystal Sage was totally easy! As soon as I beat him I realized that! Now I get to laugh at anyone who has trouble with him.

Grinchy

Banned
Stream today is gonna be at 4 PM Pacific! I'll stream for a coupla hours.

And yeah, Crystal Sage was totally easy! As soon as I beat him I realized that! Now I get to laugh at anyone who has trouble with him.

Nice! BTW, some of the jokers in here don't believe that you are 38 years old. Young people have no concept of age, do they?

Something has to be wrong with his PC, like driver-wise. I only have a R9 280 and I can max this game out at 60fps. His GPU alone is the entire cost of my PC.
I'd be curious to see if he has the same issues when not streaming at the same time. I doubt it's his GPU at this point, honestly, unless it's getting so hot that his performance is being throttled. I wonder what CPU he has. Right now, he's getting worse performance than what a computer for a third of the price is getting.

Bl@de

I'd be curious to see if he has the same issues when not streaming at the same time. I doubt it's his GPU at this point, honestly, unless it's getting so hot that his performance is being throttled. I wonder what CPU he has. Right now, he's getting worse performance than what a computer for a third of the price is getting.

I think his GPU/CPU is throttling. But Jeff would have to find out with Afterburner/CPUZ etc.. And probably just reinstall everything for a clean system. But I don't know if he can do it or has the time for it. Shame to see a Titan so slow :(

Grinchy

Banned

I agree that if everything is properly installed, then the CPU would be the likely culprit. I can't remember what his full specs were but I think he had a better CPU than me too (4690K). It just seems very odd to me that he'd have any technical issues whatsoever with his rig.

Yeah a complete reinstall of Windows to keep everything clean would maybe be a good idea. Or if there is just a lot of shitty auto-start programs and stuff on it maybe just removing them would be enough.

Bl@de

Yeah a complete reinstall of Windows to keep everything clean would maybe be a good idea. Or if there is just a lot of shitty auto-start programs and stuff on it maybe just removing them would be enough.

Some autostart programs don't cause a 4690k and a Titan to run DS3 at some stuttery 20fps on LOW (I have 60fps on high with a 770, a card that is way slower). There is something really wrong with his PC. My guess is that either the CPU or GPU run at lower clockspeeds (my 770 has that problem sometimes, not switching to 3d mode and running at 140mhz core clock) either because of driver problems or thermal throttling.

Shy

Did he decide whether today or tomorrow? Or does he usually list it somewhere? He said he'd post it on twitch but I don't see anything.
He posts updates on his Twitter. Follow that and you'll be fine.

And i always do my best to post in this thread when he goes live, whenever possible.

yonder

Aw shit... :( Poor Jeff. I really don't mind him playing through all of the areas again, though, but I imagine it might be frustrating for him to retread. I guess he could summon to get the bosses out f the way, though.

Dineren

Banned
DAMN I just saw that, hope it's not true :(

Doesnt Steam do Cloud saves by default though? Unless he disabled that?

Not all games support it and apparently DS3 is one of those that doesn't. Unbelievable that they didn't bother with support, that really sucks. At least it won't take Jeff long to catch up to where he is if he decides to start over.

Top Bottom