• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb walks back his Perfect Dark looking "rough" comments

ProtoByte

Here we go, conspiracy number 1.
That the game is having problems or that Grubb got the call? Because the former is just true.

For the latter, we know for a fact that there are people on social media who get their marching orders from Xbox. My personally theory (and get it right, conspiracy theory - conspiracy is just a word to describe something that happens every day) is that Jez Corden is one of them. Right after Grubb broke this story, Jez pulled something out of his ass about State of Decay 3 being in good shape, which itself is dubious given last year's reporting).

That the game is having problems or that Grubb got the call? Because the former is just true.

For the latter, we know for a fact that there are people on social media who get their marching orders from Xbox. My personally theory (and get it right, conspiracy theory - conspiracy is just a word to describe something that happens every day) is that Jez Corden is one of them. Right after Grubb broke this story, Jez pulled something out of his ass about State of Decay 3 being in good shape, which itself is dubious given last year's reporting).
Where's the proof that the former is true? More than a year ago a Crystal Dynamics developer said it was going "extremely well". That doesn't sound like it's having problems to me.

Grubb is not a reliable source of information so I suggest it's far more likely he made it up, thinking it wouldn't get shown at the showcase. After we hear it will appear and looks good he's walked it back quick sharpish, your theory is far less likely IMO.

chlorate

Let’s be real, here: if someone offered a bet with 50:1 odds that this game is a worthy sequel faithful to the original Perfect Dark on N64, would anyone feel good making that bet?

If the game is good and faithful, you bet $1 and win $50. I wouldn’t take that bet because it’s obviously either going to be trash or a solid modern FPS that has nothing to do with the original gameplay-wise.

Cyberpunkd

This game being potentially great is the only reason why im holding on to my X.
Are you real?

Sexy German GIF by Rein Bijlsma

ProtoByte

Where's the proof that the former is true? More than a year ago a Crystal Dynamics developer said it was going "extremely well". That doesn't sound like it's having problems to me.
You trust Crystal Dynamics saying anything is going really well after Avengers, that's your choice.
But the fact is that before it got handed of to CD that is now fumbling around with a full Tomb Raider between Embracer and Amazon, there was a whole studio built specifically for Perfect Dark that imploded.

Grubb is not a reliable source of information so I suggest it's far more likely he made it up, thinking it wouldn't get shown at the showcase. After we hear it will appear and looks good he's walked it back quick sharpish, your theory is far less likely IMO.
Grubb has proven to be reliable. His record isn't damn near spotless like Schreier's, but who was it who said that PD would show up (and by the way, huge shock, game was announced and has been in the works for how long now)? Because if Im recalling g the name, they're probably no more credible than Grubb.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Grubb has proven to be reliable. His record isn't damn near spotless like Schreier's, but who was it who said that PD would show up (and by the way, huge shock, game was announced and has been in the works for how long now)? Because if Im recalling g the name, they're probably no more credible than Grubb.

Didn't a 343 creative lead say something along the lines of "If we haven't shown Perfect Dark by next June, I deserve to be fired" about a year ago? This game being in development for 6+ years (plus that quote) make this rumor pretty easy to create out of thin air.

CamHostage

But the fact is that before it got handed of to CD that is now fumbling around with a full Tomb Raider between Embracer and Amazon, there was a whole studio built specifically for Perfect Dark that imploded.

Eh, yes and no? The Initiative was always some kind of seedling studio. (It's not in the initial press release but there's early corp descriptions of it being an incubation group. ) They have (had) top-tier designers at the top who were going to conceive and lay out plans for games, then the rest of the production would be a collaboration in full production, with I guess these big directors either switching to a producer role or moving onto the next project.

(What the full plan was is not clear as far as I can find... and it's not clear why any experienced developer would want to get involved since it seems like a gross misunderstanding of design leadership in tech product development, but there are cases of producer-led projects in the old days of publishers so maybe they thought they were getting back to basics?)

In any case, most of those top-tier designers bailed even before CD was brought on, so whatever the plan was is likely totally torn up at this point. We'll have to see whether the current plan works out. (There's also the mystery of what The Initiative will be after their first project initiates...)

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Dude reminds me of many of the Xbox doomsday crew here, just toss shit at the wall again and again until something maybe sticks.

Stop giving these twitter/YT personalities attention.

Name is familiar, but I've never seen the guy until this thread. This Grubb fella is in desperate need of cardio and a meal plan. Did a little searching and I captured this image.

vSaFbDH.png

I want you guys to focus on the right arm. If you're overweight, and your arm looks like a pale, amorphous blob, you need a lifestyle change and the self awareness to not be seen in a tank top. Just 20 minutes an evening doing push ups and sit ups makes a big difference. This Jeff fella seems to have several dream jobs, but he's really shortening what could be a great life with dietary and sedentary choices. Recording what will be a publicly available call with your beard looking like that? Cringe. Just a few minutes of grooming goes a long way! Could be the hairs have been soaked in so many seed oils and phthalates that it's impossible to make them look good. Hard to say. Gamers, if you look like this, you don't have to get too down on yourself, but make the change. You'll never regret it.
Did you really go so far as to find a still shot of his arm just to say this? Fucking weirdo. I don’t like Grubb as much as anyone here, but to dig for a screen grab of his arm and to say shit like this is fucking asinine. Touch grass please 🤦‍♂️

clarky

Banned
It’s not even a particularily enticing IP. Or am I missing some strong draw, other than it once having had the benefit of being a competent game in the infancy stage of console fps?
I'm taking you are either too young or didn't own a N64? Because Perfect Dark was a pseudo sequel to Goldeneye. Both of them paved the way for console FPS' as we know them today.

They were top tier gaming at the time, not just competent. Relics of the past now though.

Obviously this new one won't even come close to capturing the magic.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/05/20/perfect-dark-3

Last edited:

odhiex

STOP... believing in every insider's information you have read, heard or seen online. They (insiders) might not intentionally lie or share wrong information, but that does not mean every information they receive is valid or updated.

clarky

Banned
STOP... believing in every insider's information you have read, heard or seen online. They (insiders) might not intentionally lie or share wrong information, but that does not mean every information they receive is valid or updated.
STOP! listening to people on the internet telling you what to do.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Name is familiar, but I've never seen the guy until this thread. This Grubb fella is in desperate need of cardio and a meal plan. Did a little searching and I captured this image.

vSaFbDH.png

I want you guys to focus on the right arm. If you're overweight, and your arm looks like a pale, amorphous blob, you need a lifestyle change and the self awareness to not be seen in a tank top. Just 20 minutes an evening doing push ups and sit ups makes a big difference. This Jeff fella seems to have several dream jobs, but he's really shortening what could be a great life with dietary and sedentary choices. Recording what will be a publicly available call with your beard looking like that? Cringe. Just a few minutes of grooming goes a long way! Could be the hairs have been soaked in so many seed oils and phthalates that it's impossible to make them look good. Hard to say. Gamers, if you look like this, you don't have to get too down on yourself, but make the change. You'll never regret it.

Oprah Winfrey Reaction GIF

manfestival

Still don't get why we get full on Jeff Grub threads when he clowns himself time and time again. Who on GAF is getting paid by this man?

Crayon

Is it going to be $70? $70 and how many years? 6?.

Or is this another $50 release that took hella long?

The time is not my problem. I would really like it to be good, whatever the price is.

Top Bottom