• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Lin: Asian American, Harvard Grad... NBA great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

He should let it rest and get healthy for the next season.

No point of risking his career for a single game. NYK will probably lose the next game anyway.

legend166

It's all lining up.

Knicks are against the wall, Baron Davis goes down injured.....in comes Linsanity to lead a revival all the way to the NBA Championship!

That would be the screenplay.

apana

It's all lining up.

Knicks are against the wall, Baron Davis goes down injured.....in comes Linsanity to lead a revival all the way to the NBA Championship!

That would be the screenplay.

iyh5fOkI75m87.gif

I was against it before but with Davis and Shump both out and this going to Game 5 he should probably play to make sure that the Knicks don't completely humiliate themselves in Miami (again).

beat

I was against it before but with Davis and Shump both out and this going to Game 5 he should probably play to make sure that the Knicks don't completely humiliate themselves in Miami (again).

I'm still against it. Miami completely smothered Lin in that regular season game, and that was before he busted his knee. Adding him back won't help enough and it's not worth the risk to his knee.

apana

Apparently Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless are questioning why Lin is not back yet. There seem to be rumors floating around that he doesn't want to get embarassed by the Heat. Honestly I think that kind of speculation is stupid, he and his doctors are probably just looking out for his health. We don't know what is going on with his body and there is no way we can make a judgement about it.

effzee

Apparently Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless are questioning why Lin is not back yet. There seem to be rumors floating around that he doesn't want to get embarassed by the Heat. Honestly I think that kind of speculation is stupid, he and his doctors are probably just looking out for his health. We don't know what is going on with his body and there is no way we can make a judgement about it.

They are both idiots who are brought on to always argue and speculate on non existent news stories.

apana

Lin is out for the rest of the series according to Woodson.

The Heat already dismantled him in the regular season

It was just one game, people have bad games, they have embarassing games, but they can still come back and be effective. I think if Lin was in actual good health he would be very useful for this team, at least better than what they got. Anyways he is not in good health so yeah it is probably not best to bring him back.

t26

Remember Brandon Roy and grant hill come back to the playoff too soon? There is no reason for Lin to play at all

apana

Remember Brandon Roy and grant hill come back to the playoff too soon? There is no reason for Lin to play at all

It's going to be hard to return this season considering that there is nobody to play now. I wonder if he is going to stay with the Knicks or are they going to try and get Nash? Lin seems like a no brainer business wise. Oh and props to Mike Bibby, I thought he tried hard that last game. The other Knicks looked like they were done, smh at Amare.

beat

It's going to be hard to return this season considering that there is nobody to play now. I wonder if he is going to stay with the Knicks or are they going to try and get Nash? Lin seems like a no brainer business wise. Oh and props to Mike Bibby, I thought he tried hard that last game. The other Knicks looked like they were done, smh at Amare.
Nash wants a three year deal, and I don't think the Knicks have the cap space to offer him anything since Lin's probably going to take the entire mid-level exemption.

numble

Nash wants a three year deal, and I don't think the Knicks have the cap space to offer him anything since Lin's probably going to take the entire mid-level exemption.
Lin is not going to get the entire MLE.
Then again, is is the Knicks.

They have some set of cap exceptions for him (Early Bird exception maybe? Or the Gilbert Arenas exception?) and can pay him up to the MLE without using the MLE. I don't think they should pay him the MLE amount.

beat

They have some set of cap exceptions for him (Early Bird exception maybe? Or the Gilbert Arenas exception?) and can pay him up to the MLE without using the MLE. I don't think they should pay him the MLE amount.

Larry Coon - salary cap guru - says:
They will have to use the Mid-Level exception to keep Jeremy Lin, because they won't have his Bird rights (they'll just have the one-year form of Bird rights, called non-Bird). The size of the Mid-Level exception depends on whether the team is above or below the apron -- if they're below, they'll have the $5 million Non-Taxpayer version; if they're above they'll have the $3 million Taxpayer version.

Due to the Gilbert Arenas provision other teams won't be able to offer Lin more than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, but this means that the Knicks will need to hold on to their own Non-Taxpayer mid level so they can match. If they go over the apron, their Mid-Level reverts to the Taxpayer version, and other teams will be able to make Lin an offer the Knicks won't be able to match.

And the Knicks will probably have to pay the whole thing, if six teams really are vying to sign him.

beat

the Player's Association is challenging the NBA's interpretation of Bird rights:

The case concerns what are known as "Bird rights," which allow a player to re-sign with his team, without regard to the salary cap. The league contends those rights are lost when a player changes teams through waivers. The union is challenging that interpretation.

If the union prevails, the Knicks would be able to re-sign both Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, their two top free agents, despite cap constraints. They would also retain a $5 million salary slot -- known as the mid-level exception -- for use on another player, possibly J.R. Smith, who might opt out of his Knicks contract.

But if the union's challenge fails, the Knicks will probably lose Novak and possibly Smith, when free agency opens in July. And they will have little ability to sign a significant free agent -- such as Steve Nash -- once they re-sign Lin.

apana

From a purely financial standpoint you could argue he is the most valuable player on the team right? Not to mention he played pretty well so they would be kind of stupid not to.

numble

From a purely financial standpoint you could argue he is the most valuable player on the team right? Not to mention he played pretty well so they would be kind of stupid not to.
The Knicks sell out every game, even in the David Lee era, and merchandise sales don't go to them. I guess they could get Chinese companies to buy ads on the court, but MSG isn't hurting for advertisers like the Toyota Center was in Houston.

apana

The Knicks sell out every game, even in the David Lee era, and merchandise sales don't go to them. I guess they could get Chinese companies to buy ads on the court, but MSG isn't hurting for advertisers like the Toyota Center was in Houston.

I think stock went up by a large amount since Linsanity. I heard Dolan made $20 million himself and I think I read some reports that a lot more money can be made off of Lin. I'm not a hundred percent sure right now, I need to do a few google searches but I am fairly confident that Knicks are going to do basically whatever it takes it to keep him.

numble

I think stock went up by a large amount since Linsanity. I heard Dolan made $20 million himself and I think I read some reports that a lot more money can be made off of Lin. I'm not a hundred percent sure right now, I need to do a few google searches but I am fairly confident that Knicks are going to do basically whatever it takes it to keep him.
Yeah, I forgot that the Knicks own their own TV station, so they're finances are directly related to TV ratings as well.

apana

Been hearing some crazy news lately. One is that Nash could sign with the Knicks and Lin could be his backup. Also that teams may be willing to offer Lin 30-40 million for 4 years. How many minutes would Lin get to play if he was a backup to Nash? He may get more minutes than is usually given to most in his position and with his level of experience. I think Baron Davis was logging a lot of minutes when Lin was starting.

Been hearing some crazy news lately. One is that Nash could sign with the Knicks and Lin could be his backup. Also that teams may be willing to offer Lin 30-40 million for 4 years. How many minutes would Lin get to play if he was a backup to Nash? He may get more minutes than is usually given to most in his position and with his level of experience. I think Baron Davis was logging a lot of minutes when Lin was starting.

If Nash comes, it'll be in a sign and trade involving Landry Fields, the starting Shooting Guard for the Knicks. Nash will start, J.R. Smith( the previous "Sixth Man" ) would move into starting line-up at SG, making Lin the probable Sixth Man. So Lin will probably see 25-30 minutes a night if Nash comes.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Lin's still a young guy, so learning from Nash would be a plus. Since Nash has back probs, I'm thinking the Knicks would use him more like they use Goalies in the NHL. Lin would start the second night of a back-to-back, or on the last game of a Western road-trip, or against weak teams.

I think Nash goes to a contender though.

aznpxdd

Lin's still a young guy, so learning from Nash would be a plus. Since Nash has back probs, I'm thinking the Knicks would use him more like they use Goalies in the NHL. Lin would start the second night of a back-to-back, or on the last game of a Western road-trip, or against weak teams.

Bu bu bu all the Knicks fans say they will be a contender next season!

Judging from past Nash quotes, he rather be the missing piece that pushes a team into contending status, rather than piggyback his way into one, and he doesn't want to go any teams he's considered as rivals in the past ( his words, not mines ). He's either going to the Knicks or the Raptors at this point, I doubt he ends up somewhere like the Heat or the Lakers.

apana

Nash gone now and Knicks want to keep Lin. Looks like Rockets will probably offer Lin somewhere within 30-35 million, I think other teams won't go all the way to 40 unless they are just looking to fuck with the Knicks. Honestly I don't think it is a bad deal if he can keep up his level of play, even if he is overpaid a little he definitely makes up for it in terms of the extra interest he generates.

apana

Sorry to double post but breaking news. Jeremy Lin is gone from the Knicks and replaced by some guy named Felton, who like Jeremy once had a good season with the Knicks but is now apparently fat and coming off a bad season. I could understand if they got Nash but damn...this is a surprise. I don't care how people try and spin it, losing Nash and Lin doesn't look good. I wonder how Jeremy will play in Houston?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8167215/source-new-york-knicks-trade-raymond-felton-mean-jeremy-lin-mix

The New York Knicks have agreed to a sign-and-trade deal with the Portland Trail Blazers that will bring point guard Raymond Felton and center Kurt Thomas to New York in exchange for center Dan Gadzuric and forward Jared Jeffries, a league source confirmed Saturday night.

The deal raises the possibility the Knicks will not match the offer sheet Jeremy Lin signed with the Houston Rockets earlier this week.

A source close to the process told ESPN.com's Marc Stein the Knicks officially received the offer sheet Saturday night, meaning they have until 11:59 p.m. ET Tuesday to match it or let Lin go to the Rockets.

Earlier, a source close to the Lin talks said Houston had been unsuccessful in several attempts to deliver the offer sheet to Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald.

League rules say the offer sheet must be physically delivered.

The Knicks also confirmed Saturday they have decided not to match the Toronto Raptors' three-year offer sheet to Landry Fields. That deal approaches $20 million.

The Rockets' offer sheet for Lin is worth a little more than $25 million -- $5 million in the first year, $5.225 million in the second and $14.8 million in the third.

Initial reports had the Rockets offering Lin a four-year deal for around $28 million. That deal included salaries of more than $9 million in each of the last two years, which would be a big hit on the Knicks' salary cap.

Still, the organization seemed intent on matching.

"They will match any offer on Lin up to $1 billion," a source told ESPN.com's Marc Stein last week.

It's not clear, however, if the new deal has changed that thinking since the third year of the current deal carries an even bigger cap hit.

If the Knicks re-sign Lin, they'll have $75 million tied up in four players -- Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler -- in 2014-15.

Radec

NY will keep him even for just show. Even of he plays average like last season, he still generates more cash than any other knicks.

Sorry to double post but breaking news. Jeremy Lin is gone from the Knicks and replaced by some guy named Felton, who like Jeremy once had a good season with the Knicks but is now apparently fat and coming off a bad season. I could understand if they got Nash but damn...this is a surprise. I don't care how people try and spin it, losing Nash and Lin doesn't look good. I wonder how Jeremy will play in Houston?

not confirmed, just speculation. knicks have 72 hours to match the offer before hes gone for good

apana

I might throw myself from the top of my apartment building due to depression, I loved this kid =/

I was wrong earlier, more rumors than news at this point. Knicks could still match, I'd be willing to bet that the Knicks own estimate for what Lin could generate financially is larger than his salary plus the luxury tax.

I don't know any damn thing about basketball, but did I just see that Jeremy Lin might be making 30 million dollars? o_O

Did he do anything after he was in the news for like a week?

apana

Don't worry. You'll find another d-leaguer somewhere that can put up 14/7 when given free reign on a mediocre team. Maybe trade for Ramon Sessions. Same shit.

Are 14 points and 7 assists his averages since this whole Linsanity thing started? What about how he played under Woodson, how does that compare?

I don't know any damn thing about basketball, but did I just see that Jeremy Lin might be making 30 million dollars? o_O

Did he do anything after he was in the news for like a week?

He will be making 25 million over three years.

beat

Are 14 points and 7 assists his averages since this whole Linsanity thing started? What about how he played under Woodson, how does that compare?
14 and 6 was his regular season average - 35 games, 9 of those garbage minutes only.

With significant minutes - 26 games worth - he averaged 18.5 and 7.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom