• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Lin: Asian American, Harvard Grad... NBA great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigosc2k

Banned
Dude passed through and well I'm pretty embarrassed of myself not realizing who I was helping until a coworker came up to me and told me who he was.

A coworker of mine managed to get a photo of him while he was waiting in line to get his items home delivered
lin.png

Ashhong

Buying home items 2 days before he may or may not get signed to the Rockets? He must know the Knicks are going to resign him...

numble

ibiY8WbnvwWWJl.png

When asked on Sunday if he thought Lin would be back with the Knicks, Carmelo Anthony was unsure but took a swipe at the Rockets' contract offer to the point guard

"It's not up to me. It's up to the organization to say that they want to match that ridiculous contract," he told the paper.

I can't believe the guy who essentially admitted he wasn't playing hard on defense under D'Antoni -- in a season where he was earning $19M just for that one season, and another $44M for the following two seasons -- has the chutzpah to say anyone else's contract is ridiculous.

The contract is indeed ridiculous and designed specifically to ensure the Knicks couldn't match it in the third year. Melo isn't talking about the overall money number or being jealous here, he's stating a fact.

beat

The contract is indeed ridiculous and designed specifically to ensure the Knicks couldn't match it in the third year. Melo isn't talking about the overall money number or being jealous here, he's stating a fact.

Lin would more than make that money back (including the salary cap's luxury tax) for MSG just for his Asian marketability. And as for the cap itself, the Knicks would have been grievously over the cap even without Lin's contract. It's a lot of money, yes, but the Knicks got themselves into this situation by overpaying for Stoudemire and Melo (and paying market value for Chandler) earlier anyways, then sending Lin out to find market value in an offseason where there weren't enough good free agent PGs to go around.

Radec

More Jeremy Lin racism on ESPN... Stuart Scott said "Lin's rise to fame"... very subtle Stu but I see what you did there.
[/img]http://thumbs.ifood.tv/files/images/eat_chinese_rice.jpg[/img]

Am I the only one who thinks that people like you who sees racism in simple things/words are the ones who are racists?

Lin would more than make that money back (including the salary cap's luxury tax) for MSG just for his Asian marketability. And as for the cap itself, the Knicks would have been grievously over the cap even without Lin's contract. It's a lot of money, yes, but the Knicks got themselves into this situation by overpaying for Stoudemire and Melo (and paying market value for Chandler) earlier anyways, then sending Lin out to find market value in an offseason where there weren't enough good free agent PGs to go around.

How does him making money for MSG change the fact that the third year fucks up the Knicks' cap given the pieces they have on the books? You're right they overpaid Melo and Stoudemire, now is not the time to over pay Lin. He's not a PG, he doesn't play defense, he played quite average once the rest of the team came back...no, I wouldn't throw a bunch of money at him either.

This is Tebow all over again

Lin is not worth the $14.8 million for a single season, let alone the $40-50 million that year alone might cost the Knicks with cap penalties. He's just not that good. It's a ridiculous contract.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

And if Lin ends up sucking next season, the Knicks will be in the hole for years 2 and especially 3, with dead weight. That's the problem with this contract. It IS ridiculous, the Rockets FO took a major swipe at us thinking we'd match it in an attempt to back us into a corner. Especially when their first contract was paltry and easy to match.

numble

The Atlantic analyzes how much Jeremy Lin is worth to an NBA team, comparing the effects that Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian had for the Rockets and Bucks:
http://theatln.tc/PZtwm2

So, is Lin worth it? The answer is: Only if he's a good player--and even then, if his financial value is fleeting, not at a premium rate. Only your play pays the bills.

beat

How does him making money for MSG change the fact that the third year fucks up the Knicks' cap given the pieces they have on the books?
They'd be way over the cap already anyways! And, if he wasn't worth the money that year, he would be a giant expiring contract! GMs actually love those!

apana

Lin seems like an obvious match to me. I think so far the arguments against him are based on the fact that he isn't worth his contract, more of an emotional feeling that he hasn't earned it. The fact is that Knicks can afford to take him even if it causes them in luxury taxes in the third year. He has already made money for them off the court and is likely a better option than Felton. It's also unfair to say he through his on and off court value has to make up for the entire luxury tax when everyone is contributing to it.

I'm more inclined to believe that the Knicks were offended by how they got played by Lin and the Rockets as opposed to the actual implications of the poison pill offer. If Rockets had made the 25 million offer up front the Knicks would probably have taken it. Even though all indications seem to be pointing against it I think they end up matching Lin. Yes I think Lin is overpaid but is still utlimately worth it, as strange as that may sound.

lucius

The Knicks coach really had no reason to say they would match the original rumored offer before it was even official and say Lin would the starting point guard for Knicks, just let Rockets offer what was originally rumored then match it. The fact that he opened his big mouth Rockets were smart to rework it now Knicks lose Lin, who knows though maybe the Knicks knew this and was a way out for them.

RBH

The Knicks plan to cut ties with Jeremy Lin on Tuesday night, according to a person briefed on the decision, ending a brief, spectacular and now bittersweet love affair between the 23-year-old point guard and his adoring fan base. Lin will play next season for the Houston Rockets, who signed him to a three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet that the Knicks have elected not to match.

The Knicks are not expected to announce their decision until this evening, and there is still a chance — albeit incredibly small — that it could be reversed. But as of 4 p.m. the decision had been made and was considered final by those with knowledge of the deliberations. Indeed, the deliberations were said to be over.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/s...n-rockets-offer-sheet.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share

Ovid

Lin is not worth the $14.8 million for a single season, let alone the $40-50 million that year alone might cost the Knicks with cap penalties. He's just not that good. It's a ridiculous contract.
He's not worth that kind of money. I'd rather have fat Felton.

beat

So think of it like him averaging a bit over $8M a season then.

And as for the luxury tax stuff, it's not like he'll be paid the luxury tax. That's from the Knicks to the non-taxpaying teams, and it could be mitigated by the stretch provision if he's waived in the third year or they could trade him, or they could trade or waive someone else to get under one of the luxury tax thresholds.

There's no point to not matching. The Knicks would be well into the luxury tax without Lin anyways, so not matching doesn't give them any cap flexibility. It doesn't lose them that much money when you factor in how much money he'd make for the Knicks. On court, he's better than Felton and like five years younger too; he has real upside whereas with Felton all you have is the hope that he can at least pull himself out past the dregs of last year. Lin was 7-1 under Woodson before he was too injured to play; do you think Felton would be?

shira

And as for the luxury tax stuff, it's not like he'll be paid the luxury tax. That's from the Knicks to the non-taxpaying teams, and it could be mitigated by the stretch provision if he's waived in the third year or they could trade him, or they could trade or waive someone else to get under one of the luxury tax thresholds.

That's not how it works.

beat

That's not how it works.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/knicks_could_use_stretch_loophole_JWkZPRrwE6wTxNK6z6cGZL

But the CBA contains a stretch provision clause that allows a team to waive a player with an odorous contract and spread the remaining years out over twice the number of years, plus one.

So say the Knicks waive Lin after he completes two years of the 3-year, $25.1 million deal with $14.9 in that third year. They could stretch the third year payment over three years (one year, times two, plus one) and the salary would only cost $5 million against the Knicks cap. The luxury tax would them also be in line.

And if after two years the Knicks determine Lin is worth every penny, they could keep him and perhaps use the provision on a different player. Lin's contract, of course, would stay the same.

And as for the luxury tax stuff, it's not like he'll be paid the luxury tax. That's from the Knicks to the non-taxpaying teams, and it could be mitigated by the stretch provision if he's waived in the third year or they could trade him, or they could trade or waive someone else to get under one of the luxury tax thresholds

You have about as good an understanding of the salary cap as Isiah Thomas. The Knicks contracts are untradable, and even if they can Lin in the final year, they have to take back the same amount of salary.

Sysgen

It's not the money. Fuck the Knicks. Brooklyn here I come.

Wow. Didn't know about this. Doesn't matter. Fuck the Knicks in all kinds of insidious ways

beat

You have about as good an understanding of the salary cap as Isiah Thomas. The Knicks contracts are unreadable, and even if they can Lin in the final year, they have to take back the same amount of salary.

Joe Johnson was considered untradeable too, wasn't he?

Joe Johnson was considered untradeable too, wasn't he?

The Nets had cap space they could absorb his contract without Atlanta having to take back the same amount of salary in return. Expecting the same to happen with Amare is ludicrous. What team with a ton of capspace is going to waste it on Amare Stoudamre? The best NY would hope for one be a bad contract for bad contract swap, which doesn't help their cap and tax situation.

Really? No Deron Williams without JJ. For them that was a no brainer.

It's a gamble that paid off.

and either way it;s a unique situation that he could be traded. otherwise the Hawks would be stuck with him. also their owner is a Bond Villain who doesn't give a fuck about cap space.

Amar'e knees and back could potentially end his career if they continue to deteriorate. Joe is just a lazy fuck not worth the money but still a legit player. Broken Amar'e wouldn't be.

Billy King is still and idiot tho..he just got lucky for once.

Well now that the Rockets have landed him with limited cap space to build around Lin, let's predict their win % over the next 3 years. I'll go with 25%, but ticket sales will be great! Just what Morey wanted.

Well now that the Rockets have landed him with limited cap space to build around Lin, let's predict their win % over the next 3 years. I'll go with 25%, but ticket sales will be great! Just what Morey wanted.

Have you not been paying attention to the offseason? The one thing the Rockets have is Cap Space and good young players. I hope we don't waste it on a guy that doesn't want to be here (Howard).

Have you not been paying attention to the offseason? The one thing the Rockets have is Cap Space and good young players. I hope we don't waste it on a guy that doesn't want to be here (Howard).

Well we just threw away $15 million, which is what we'll be giving Lin in year 3. where does that leave us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom