• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeremy Lin: Asian American, Harvard Grad... NBA great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cake Boss

Banned
Amazing to see an NBA player so humble and preaching the team and appreciating his team and coach in the media for his success. I never see that from that league anymore.

Talon

EDIT: And i completely agree, if T-mac blossomed on the raptors his career would be totally different. I really hope he wins a ring. Should have gone to the bulls instead of the mavs since they are winding down.
Uh?
t+mac.jpg

3rdman

Amazing to see an NBA player to be so humble and preaching the team and appreciating his team and coach in the media for his success. I never see that from that league anymore.

There is no such thing as a "humble" NBA star...every single one of them think they are the best at their position. It's nice to see them pretend to be humble though. :p

thirty

Banned
I won't say where I work but there has been a spike in NBA league pass sales these past few days. names of new subscribers, peng, Choi, lee, etc.

Asian Americans are all over this kid.

So is this guy getting attention because he's a legitimately great player, or because he's a good Asian player?

If this guy was Black would he be getting the same attention?

So is this guy getting attention because he's a legitimately great player, or because he's a good Asian player?

If this guy was black would he be getting the same attention?

because he's a decent asian player.
if he was black, he'd have a tattoo on his arm by now and throwing gang signs after every win.

CSX

If this guy was black would he be getting the same attention?

Hes getting hyped for coming out of nowhere and leading a team that has performed below its expectations to wins without their star players.

The fact hes asian is just a +10 :p

Zhengi

No cause good Black athletes are a dime a dozen. Leave us with our celebration of Lin.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

I'd say the percentage split on the Lin Hype comes from:

50% - Because he's Asian
25% - Because he was at the end of the Bench, almost cut, to playing historically amazing
25% - Because he plays for New York

giri

50% - Because he's Asian
25% - Because he was at the end of the Bench, almost cut, to playing historically amazing

I'd swap the asian and NY part. Knicks hyped up shumpert for fucks sake.

justjohn

No cause good Black athletes are a dime a dozen. Leave us with our celebration of Lin.
Yep. I've to say though, in very happy for this kid. A lot of Asians in America and round the world are huge baskeball fans, so it's awesome to see one of their own doing really well in it.

Don't mean to come of as patronising but hope this streak continues.

beat

50% - Because he's Asian
Shouldn't "historically amazing" (for his first four starts, the points and assist totals are not only impressive but actual new records, albeit minor and unimportant records) count for a little more than that?

And it's not just that he plays in New York, the center of the American media, but also that New York was looking awful. Lin was on the verge of getting cut with nothing more than garbage time to show for his third NBA team, and D'Antoni himself was probably a couple more losses from getting fired himself. Lin's minutes against the Celtics and Nets were the desperation of the coaching staff trying the last guard they had available, which only happens when the ship is pretty much almost completely underwater.

---

A couple of new pieces about Lin: http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2012/02/fifteen-reasons-to-stay-over-the-moon-about-lin.html and http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7570431/jeremy-lin and http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2066

Personally, I can't wait until the haters are saying his assist totals are inflated because he's passing to Carmelo and Amare (and in D'Antoni's system).

Edit: Oh, and I know the NBA thread had a discussion about the Knicks keeping Lin: here's the definitive word. http://knickerblogger.net/finally-a-definitive-answer-on-jeremy-lins-contract-status/ He's a restricted free agent, and under the Arenas provisions, but the waiver transactions did reset his "Bird Clock". So if he can be signed for the mid-level exception, the Knicks will definitely match. If he can justify more, it'll have to be heavily back-loaded and it can only come from a team well under the cap.

Every time I've lurked the NBA-GAF threads over the years I've been offput by how agressive and smug a small but vocal group of guys sitting at home liveblogging games on their computer are towards new posters.

they be overcompensatin for something......

50% - Because he's Asian

Why the fuck should Lin being "asian" even matter? He's american-born and raised, and it just happens his parents came from Taiwan. If he's a good player then he should get the attention he deserves.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Why the fuck should Lin being "asian" even matter? He's american-born and raised, and it just happens his parents came from Taiwan. If he's a good player then he should get the attention he deserves.
Because its a huge market

apparently it matters those bandwagon jumpers watching basketball for the first time because of lin.

Puddles

Banned
they be overcompensatin for something......

Anyone can post in BestGAF. I didn't register here until 2010, and I'm considered a regular in the thread now.

You just have to accept that you're going to take a few light-hearted lumps at the beginning. But if you 1) know a bit about basketball, and 2) don't act all sensitive about it, and 3) don't fall for the obvious troll posts, you'll do fine.

$hawty

Banned

Race matters nimwad.

And good for Lin. He's doing good for himself and he's bringing attention to the Knicks, a losing franchise over the last decade +

Don't like all these "NO ONE BUT LIN IS HUMBLE" people nor the "LIN IS ASIAN AND THAT'S THE ONLY REASON HES GETTING ANY LOVE" people.

Both camps need to sit the fuck down and enjoy the game.

Ptaaty

this would be a big story if anyone went from near cut/end of bench to setting the RECORDs for the first 4 starts.

He does get bonus mania points for being asian, no doubt...but this is big because of the situation first.

Put it this way...take away the accomplishment and he is an asian ancestry guy playing in the NBA, not a story. Take the asian out of the equation....this is still a huge story.

Anyone can post in BestGAF. I didn't register here until 2010, and I'm considered a regular in the thread now.

You just have to accept that you're going to take a few light-hearted lumps at the beginning. But if you 1) know a bit about basketball, and 2) don't act all sensitive about it, and 3) don't fall for the obvious troll posts, you'll do fine.

i just hate douches. and also, they still be overcompensatin

robox

i haven't been following the nba but i caught wind of this thanks to flipboard. and i've been eatin' it up. i'm biased 'cos i asian too.

the story is absolutely the combination of his accomplishments and background.

he's the quintessential asian kid, straight A's, newspaper editor, gettin' into harvard and graduating
BUT
he also led his high school, and college basketball teams to success (how the hell did he do all that??)
AND
he's a pretty humble guy (not gonna say he's the only humble guy in the nba. that's a goddamn generalization)

why did he go undrafted? passed through several d-league and pro teams? was it racial prejudice? that i donno and cant' answer. but he kept at it and kept trying, and eventually got his shot and made the best of it. it just also happens to be in NY goddamn C.
along the way, he could've given up hope and just fell into a regular white collar job. and likely would've had he been cut.

how long will he keep it up? who knows. even if he does get shut down and nothing happens for him the rest of the year, it'll still be one of the biggest stories of the year. if only as a case study on how big and how fast the story broke out.

sure there's that other asian guy, Yao Ming, but we all know he's like china's basketball ivan drago. and i don't where the hell he's been. is he like perpetually injured?

Row

Banned
I like how some people are trying to argue against the fact that amongst all the big team sports, basketball by far has the highest % of egotistical douchebags. When a great player (not saying lin is one of them) is humble, it does stand out. See: Dirk, Duncan, Rose, Nash.

No point is listing top players that are humble in the NFL, MLB, and NHL since it's the norm.

I like how some people are trying to argue against the fact that amongst all the big team sports, basketball by far has the highest % of egotistical douchebags. When a great player (not saying lin is one of them) is humble, it does stand out. See: Dirk, Duncan, Rose, Nash.

No point is listing top players that are humble in the NFL, MLB, and NHL since it's the norm.
Football and baseball don't have egotistical douchebags?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Amazing to see an NBA player so humble and preaching the team and appreciating his team and coach in the media for his success. I never see that from that league anymore.

Yeah I haven't seen that since Derrick Rose, and before that it felt like ages ago for Kevin Durant.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

Be honest, when you look at Lin, do you immediately think "this guy is American"? I am born and raised in USA and I can guarantee that "American" is not the first thing people think when they see me. Occasionally I get obvious looks of "hrm, I'm surprised this guy speaks fluent English".

Lin being Asian-American is half the story

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

Yes, lets do the Stephen Colbert and not see race...

...even if he's the only Asian American in the league

harSon

Banned

To be fair, it's basically true. When someone who does not fit the typical mold of an athlete within a given sport, they tend to get more attention than they would have if they were not the case. For example, Peyton Hillis, a successful white running back, was on the cover of Madden despite having a relatively average year compared to other running backs in the league.

There's certainly other factors at play, such as the fact that he was undrafted, went to Harvard and is playing legitimately good basketball atm, but it'd be disingenuous to suggest that he'd be as popular a player so few games into his career if he were simply another young black athlete in the NBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom