• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain withdraws support for Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This has to be the sign for others to follow.

This could actually be a watershed moment for the GOP. Maybe they will come to the conclusion that fostering hate for ten years up to this point might now be the way to go forward.

I don't think that the GOP will ever get behind things like "Every human being is equal" or "Women deserve control over their bodies". They didn't end up with Donnie Trumpo by coincidence.

commedieu

Banned
I dunno, I think Ayotte and McCain are two of the first out the door because the math is different for them, not because of any backbone. They're still calculated moves.

Politicians are all calculated moves. That much is inherent with the subject being discussed.

I can congratulate him for saying he won't vote for a facist. I mean it took a while, but at least he finally got there. People don't care about racism in the usa. So have to give props in this fucked up system whenever you see someone not supporting hitler.

It's too little, too late. And it's not just trump that has these views. But trump represents their rhetotic, concentrated. So it's nice to see these folks realize it. Sure they will come back with equally divisive shit to ruin the country, but that's the Republican party. Backwards racists. They will have to compromise on their racism. That's good by me.

Politicians are all calculated moves. That much is inherent with the subject being discussed.

I can congratulate him for saying he won't vote for a facist. I mean it took a while, but at least he finally got there. People don't care about racism in the usa. So have to give props in this fucked up system whenever you see someone not supporting hitler.

It's too little, too late. And it's not just trump that has these views. But trump represents their rhetotic, concentrated. So it's nice to see these folks realize it. Sure they will come back with equally divisive shit to ruin the country, but that's the Republican party. Backwards racists.

Fair enough.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Now to see if republicans still have the motivation to go to the polls with only the downballot to vote for. They'll need a lot more than the ones that vote in the midterms.

SeanC

still unclear on why this was the thing that did it. especially for McCain.

It was going to be something, I think party members were waiting for it, so it's less this specific thing and more that it snowballed and now GOP members are more comfortable moving away from Trump since it's become a group effort. He's on tape and its explicit, not the usual dance-around "not a career politician" bullshit.

kmfdmpig

As an Arizona resident I doubt it.

538 has Arizona as a very close race, and Trump's support has been plummeting, so I'm hopeful that Arizona can be on the right side of history. I'll certainly do my part on election day.

Trump's support in AZ was always lower than previous GOP candidates as he doesn't do as well as typical for GOP candidates with members of the LDS (a traditional staple of the GOP).

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that the GOP will ever get behind things like "Every human being is equal" or "Women deserve control over their bodies". They didn't end up with Donnie Trumpo by coincidence.
Probably not, but they burned the whole conversation in the last decade. It's barely about policy anymore. And that could change...maybe.

RPGCrazied

This is Trump and his campaign now.

tumblr_o3b69ajw2r1rc7zl1o9_500.gif

To be fair, whatever you think of the reason, he says why three sentences later.

But that's the thing - he's always been a reprehensible braggart. He's always been a jerkoff to women. Why disavow now?

This could actually be a watershed moment for the GOP. Maybe they will come to the conclusion that fostering hate for ten years up to this point might now be the way to go forward.

Or, they'll just pick someone who's able to hide their shitty qualities better. It's like what Jamelle Bouie said:

My takeaway from this election really is that with a little polish, the GOP could win the presidency on a platform of white nationalism.

God, among all the destruction going on in GOP this weekend, let us not forget Ted Cruz wallowing in the shit....just over a week since he endorsed Donald Trump this happens.

Everyone will laugh at him if he reverses himself once again. He can't claim he always stood his ground before everyone dropped endorsements lol, he'll always be that miserable cretin stuck in a Trump phone bank.

Many Republicans supported Trump so they could win their OWN November elections.

The one's abandoning Trump now are doing it to win their OWN November elections.

These moves are part of the ebb and flow of constituency trends.

They will do whatever the fuck it takes to win their OWN elections. There is ZERO morality being exercised by these moves, ZERO. They don't give a fuck what Trump says or does They only care who their voters are leaning toward and what positions they need to take to get their voters on their side.

So, please. Don't commend these soulless assholes NOW.

McCain, Ryan, Cruz, etc.. etc.. are all SELLOUTS trying to keep their jobs and their power.

Don't EVER forget that.

UberTag

Now who's being naive?

More like they know Trump's a loser and are using this opportunity to hop off the bandwagon so they can avoid getting dragged down with it. They won't change one iota.

Many Republicans supported Trump so they could win their OWN November elections.

The one's abandoning Trump now are doing it to win their OWN November elections.

They will do whatever the fuck it takes to win their OWN elections. There is ZERO morality being exercised by these moves, ZERO. They don't give a fuck what Trump says or does They only care who their voters are leaning toward and what positions they need to take to get their voters on their side.

McCain, Ryan, Cruz, etc.. etc.. are all SELLOUTS trying to keep their jobs and their power.

Don't EVER forget that.
This guy gets it.

RPGCrazied

Surely Paul Ryan is next. I mean most of all morning long GOP elite have been fleeing Trump. I don't think Ryan was ever a fan, so its seems like he would do this after so many left today.

RoKKeR

Surely Paul Ryan is next. I mean most of all morning long GOP elite have been fleeing Trump. I don't think Ryan was ever a fan, so its seems like he would do this after so many left today.

He had is chance today and he rolled over, just like he has in the past. Shameful.

newjeruse

It's great to see this but it's all kind of hypocritical. We knew Trump was like this 16 months ago. Is anyone that surprised?

mjc

Don't EVER forget that.

Very true, doesn't change things really.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm betting a lot of Republicans like him were biding their time until a perfect moment like this to jump off the Trump train. Cruz pissed off so many at the RNC, but McCain can wash his hands of Trump easily now.
There's been hundreds of perfect moments to jump off it by now.

What I don't understand is, even if Trump won, it doesn't take a psychic to know he'd end up being viewed as a trainwreck of a president. He'd say flippant shit to other world leaders that get our country in hot water, he'd deliver tone-deaf addresses to victims of tragedies, he'd actively antagonize huge swaths of the country's citizens, his presidency would be a comedy of errors; This stuff should be an inevitability to anyone that's spent two minutes observing the guy's past.

Republicans not having the long-term gumption to know that distancing from this circus clown would pay dividends for them, and that embracing him would be a huge liability, in the long-term just shows how inconceivably stupid the party is. I'll be the first to throw a bunch of negative descriptors at the 'pubs, but I at least thought there was some method to the madness, a sliver of political savvy, no matter how crude or misguided. But no, that veil is lifted. Clinging to the insane hope that Trump endorsements were somehow not going to blow up in their faces, win or lose, there's no other conclusion to come to than that the party at large is just straight-up dumb as a box of rocks.

Don't EVER forget that.
Pretty much. They've made abundantly clear over the past year they were willing to eat shit and ask for seconds if it meant they could win. The moral posturing is just damage control. They 100% deserve the shit they're in.

oti

Banned
Now the Republican Party is in full Civil War mode. Unless all the lunatics want to start their own party they will fight openly for control. And it will be glorious to witness.

Wow if you feel this way, John, why the fuck did you endorse him in the first place??

Next paragraph:

“I have wanted to support the candidate our party nominated. He was not my choice, but as a past nominee, I thought it important I respect the fact that Donald Trump won a majority of the delegates by the rules our party set. I thought I owed his supporters that deference.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The last four GOP candidates for president are openly against Trump.

UberTag

None of these people hate what Donald Trump stands for.
What they hate is that he's so repugnantly honest about it... and they duped themselves for a while into thinking this intangible quality would be enough to best Hillary.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The last four GOP candidates for president are openly against Trump.
This is a feat that will probably never happen again. It's unbelievable.

None of these people hate what Donald Trump stands for.
What they hate is that he's so repugnantly honest about it... and they duped themselves for a while into thinking this intangible quality would be enough to best Hillary.
I would argue that they do hate some of it. Like his Russia position, for example.

Xe4

Banned
Wow if you feel this way, John, why the fuck did you endorse him in the first place??
He was fighting a primary against a far right challenger. Not an excuse, and he shouldn't have done it, but that is why he endorsed Trump.

Good on him for using the Central Park Give as one of the reasons though.

Lol

Hallie Jackson Verified account
I find it hilarious that Cruz backed Trump at the worst possible time. If he had waited like one more week, he could have still been playing the "I told you so" card.

Don't EVER forget that.

This. It's all about maintaining the status quo with these guys. They only care about winning.

Sydle

Maybe one of the other Access Hollywood releases will push him over the edge. Apparently they're just as bad and maybe even worse.

This is not going to go down well. Donald Trump is a sinking ship but he still has a cult like grip over a good chunk of Republican voters.

I eagerly await the "don't vote for McCain" attacks from Donald Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom