• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
He's right though. Avengers starts off with Ex Nihilo while New Avengers starts with Black Swan and the incursions. It's confusing.

Well they are 2 separate stories up until Infinity, after that they come together.

Jonogunn

You're following the chart wrong, you should have read Avengers up to issue 13 before reading NA 7.

That's what I'm doing. I said I read UP TO issue 6. Haven't read issue 7 yet.

Yea it's left to right, then down to the next tier.

Ya that's how I'm reading it.

I'll just keep going and home they connect soon lol.

How do you know what comic books are connected to what at each time? Like did jonathan Hickman announce that he was writing these two comic books and that they will connect?

Mudcrab

Don't forget Ultimates #1 comes out tomorrow:

Qt8VzdF.jpg

Don't forget Ultimates #1 comes out tomorrow:

I was just about to ask if it was due tomorrow. Thanks for the update.

And let me ask this again since it wasn't answered in my previous post:
What is the spoiler policy here? In TV threads, once the episode has aired in the host country, spoilers are fair game. The only thing that should be considered spoilers are previews or titles for upcoming episodes that have not aired.
In here, it seems some spoilers like titles and covers fly pretty freely, yet we keep speculation and talk of events in the most current issues that are readily available under spoiler bars.

So, what is safe then? I would think that come tomorrow afternoon, once the new issue is out and on stands, we should be able to talk freely about it without spoiler tagging the hell out of our posts.

Mudcrab

I was just about to ask if it was due tomorrow. Thanks for the update.

And let me ask this again since it wasn't answered in my previous post:
What is the spoiler policy here? In TV threads, once the episode has aired in the host country, spoilers are fair game. The only thing that should be considered spoilers are previews or titles for upcoming episodes that have not aired.
In here, it seems some spoilers like titles and covers fly pretty freely, yet we keep speculation and talk of events in the most current issues that are readily available under spoiler bars.

So, what is safe then? I would think that come tomorrow afternoon, once the new issue is out and on stands, we should be able to talk freely about it without spoiler tagging the hell out of our posts.

There's no set rule here, but generally the day of an issue's release we keep the discussion of its events spoiler tagged. The day after you are free to not tag things as spoilers. This helps because some dudes get their issues digitally and read them immediately where some like myself have to wait until they hit up their LCS.

I'll be putting up the Secret Wars OT (which by the way anyone can help/collaborate with if they feel like) and the rule will be spoiler tag on Wednesdays, fair game the Thursday afterwards (this is totally up for discussion tho if anyone has problems with the idea).

As for covers and titles I think things which are officially released are fair game, but if it's a leak we should keep it spoiler tagged. Again, let me know what ya'll think.

Afrodium

Banned
Welp,
The Cabal sure is lucky as hell. Have we seen a double incursion yet? I can't remember. It was obvious that they weren't going to really kill off The Cabal, but I think them just flying to a different universe that was happened to be there at the right time is a bit convenient. This issue kind of makes Avengers #40 worse retroactively. It's cool they're with Evil Reed now though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Unless Ultimate has been dealing with it on their own and we haven't been seeing it.

Ding ding ding. Damn Reed + Cabal is gonna be good.

Welp,
The Cabal sure is lucky as hell. Have we seen a double incursion yet? I can't remember. It was obvious that they weren't going to really kill off The Cabal, but I think them just flying to a different universe that was conveniently there at the right time is a bit convenient. This issue kind of makes Avengers #40 rose retroactively. It's cool they're with Evil Reed now though.

It was there right in the issue though. Namor's rage panels clearly show a red background. I think someone here picked up on it. Might be cheap, but they've established the Incursions are starting to change, so I don't mind it that much.

It was there right in the issue though. Namor's rage panels clearly show a red background. I think someone here picked up on it. Might be cheap, but they've established the Incursions are starting to change, so I don't mind it that much.

I was the one that picked up on that but the red seems to be the energy bubble they were in... I think. But given the incursions are either blue or red I suspect inferring another Earth was the point of the red background in that particular issue.

Either way: Namor is going to fuck shit up. And I can't wait.

Mudcrab

Avengers 41:

Yeah its no surprise the Cabal still live, there were enough hints in the last issue, not to mention all those Secret Wars covers. You just know the Namor vs. BP rematch will be amazing too.

It was way too convenient that a double incursion happened with 1610, but since it's all to set up the amazing possibilities Ultimate Reed and the Cabal present, I can forgive it. Mostly.

Oh and gotta love Hickman just waving off Reed's redemption in a couple of panels. "Yeah it was an act, and I've blowing planets all this time. Anyway, moving on now..."

I also really liked how BP's words in the last issue seem to act as a Namor's (sort of) thought bubble in the latest issue:

*Coupled with Namor's rage face*

"To fully realize there is no forgiveness for what he's done."

"That there is a price and he's finally going to pay it--that there's no mercy for men like him, and even if there was, he doesn't get any."

"I want him to know this is how it ends."

"And more than that..."

"I want him to know... it was me."

That's some quality writing.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Avengers 41:

Yeah its no surprise the Cabal still live, there were enough hints in the last issue, not to mention all those Secret Wars covers. You just know the Namor vs. BP rematch will be amazing too.

It was way too convenient that a double incursion happened with 1610, but since it's all to set up the amazing possibilities Ultimate Reed and the Cabal present, I can forgive it. Mostly.

Oh and gotta love Hickman just waving off Reed's redemption in a couple of panels. "Yeah it was an act, and I've blowing planets all this time. Anyway, moving on now..."

The convenience isn't that bad, considering we know something happened that wiped out a bunch of universes. That something could very well be a speed up of the incursions resulting in things like this, but there's probably more to it. Wouldn't say Reed is full on evil again rather than being the sociopath big picture guy the rest of the illuminati couldn't quite be.

Fintan

I don't think it's really that convenient. We know something is speeding up incursions and when you're down to a handful of worlds, it's not hard to justify the incursion of the UU.

Speaking of, just about up to where I stopped reading the Ultimate Universe. Slogged through Ultimatum (The Spider-Man issues are actually great but holy crap the rest of it.) On the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man era. Once I'm finished with that I'll finally be up to Miles and Hickman's Ultimates. Can't wait to see what hints he planted, lol.

Just finished his FF Omnis. Liked the little hints throughout and it was interesting seeing him sort of setting things up for his Avengers run in the last few issues.

I don't think it was that hard of a call to make.

But I am very interested in the set up now for the final incursion.

Evil Ultimate Reed that has wiped out tons of planets, along with a pissed off Cabal and Namor vs. 616. I thought I saw a synopsis somewhere say that 616 loses the final incursion battle, thus setting up Secret Wars. I can see that happening, and maybe Doom swooping in with Molecule Man to save what is left of 616 and deposit it on Battleworld.

And how the hell are the Beyonders going to even factor into this. And who the hell is the great destroyer?

Spoit

I don't think it's really that convenient. We know something is speeding up incursions and when you're down to a handful of worlds, it's not hard to justify the incursion of the UU.

Speaking of, just about up to where I stopped reading the Ultimate Universe. Slogged through Ultimatum (The Spider-Man issues are actually great but holy crap the rest of it.) On the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man era. Once I'm finished with that I'll finally be up to Miles and Hickman's Ultimates. Can't wait to see what hints he planted, lol.

Just finished his FF Omnis. Liked the little hints throughout and it was interesting seeing him sort of setting things up for his Avengers run in the last few issues.

Speaking of, what is the reading order for the ultimate comics anyway. I read the first 2 ultimates and some random FF ones, but then I'm not sure where the crossover events fit in, other than before hickman's stuff

I don't think it was that hard of a call to make.

But I am very interested in the set up now for the final incursion.

Evil Ultimate Reed that has wiped out tons of planets, along with a pissed off Cabal and Namor vs. 616. I thought I saw a synopsis somewhere say that 616 loses the final incursion battle, thus setting up Secret Wars. I can see that happening, and maybe Doom swooping in with Molecule Man to save what is left of 616 and deposit it on Battleworld.

And how the hell are the Beyonders going to even factor into this. And who the hell is the great destroyer?

I am so excited.

Fintan

Speaking of, what is the reading order for the ultimate comics anyway. I read the first 2 ultimates and some random FF ones, but then I'm not sure where the crossover events fit in, other than before hickman's stuff
This is a very detailed reading order.

http://community.comicbookresources...Marvel-General&p=516500&viewfull=1#post516500

There's no need to read everything on there though, but there's plenty of good stuff. Avoid Loeb and Kirkman's stuff would be my main bit of advice.

It will be over soon but there are so many fronts to this war I'm getting all giddy.
- Reed and pals vs Ultimate Reed and the Cabal.
- Strange and the Black Priests vs the Beyonders?
- Thor(r) and the multiversal Avengers vs Rabum Alal.
- Someone will have to stop that galactic alliance who's decided to destroy Earth (Tony and his awesome weapons?)

I don't know how Doom and the Mapmakers fit into this. I'm certain Doom will save everyone though. Because he's awesome like that.

Ein Bear

I love how Ultimate Reed has just been destroying worlds all by himself for ages, like it's no big thing. His reaction to an incoming incursion is like it's a regular, ho-hum occurence, like washing the dishes.

Mxrz

Ultimate Reed is best Reed.

Looking forward to Namor breaking every bone in BP & BB's body. But given the upcoming movie, that'll never happen. At the least a few disgusted glances made it past BP's plot armor.

Everyone in 616 is sort of an asshole at this point. I'm all for a reboot.

Only thing not revealed at this point is Rabum Alal, right? Not entirely sure it can't be disappointing after two years of hype.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Looking forward to Namor breaking every bone in BP & BB's body. But given the upcoming movie, that'll never happen. At the least a few disgusted glances made it past BP's plot armor.

Only thing not revealed at this point is Rabum Alal, right?

Rabum Alal and we still need to find out what the beyonders are up to. Plus there's who went after who, we're gonna see either Strange and the Black Priests or Thor and Hyperion's team again real soon. Then there's what Doom has been up to. Still a lot of stuff to either figure out, reveal or go through at this point.

Only thing not revealed at this point is Rabum Alal, right?
Yeah, that's the only big one right now.
There are still a few questions lingering though (most probably linked to RA):
-What's the deal with Molecule Man's origin?
-What has been causing this acceleration of multiversal destruction?
-What are these domes at incursion sites?
-What happened to Tony?

Mudcrab

Only thing not revealed at this point is Rabum Alal, right? Not entirely sure it can't be disappointing after two years of hype.

How much plot armor does BP really have here? Wakanda is in ruins, his sister is dead, his predecessors have turned their back on him at his lowest point, and now he has failed at the one thing he has promised to do since the beginning.

As for Rabum Alal, it's definitely going to be a new character but you're right I don't know how it can live up to the massive build-up we've had and be something as impressive as finally revealing The Beyonders which were barely defined in continuity before this story.

Avengers #41-
If you come at the king, Panther, you best not miss. I eagerly await Namor's reaction.

As for Rabum Alal, it's definitely going to be a new character but you're right I don't know how it can live up to the massive build-up we've had and be something as impressive as finally revealing The Beyonders which were barely defined in continuity before this story.

At this extremely late stage with him not making any kind of appearance, I don't think Rabum Alal is going to be a new character whose motivations and nature need to be explained. He'll be a new version of an old character like an alternate universe version of a new Galactus as hinted in Fantastic Four #600. Instead of a devourer of worlds he devours universes. We all know who Galactus is so Hickman won't need to waste time explaining it.

We all know who Galactus is so Hickman won't need to waste time explaining it.
I can't tell if this would have any bearing on RA but when we define Galactus, we tend to define him as that giant purple dude who eats your world.
But he has another distinctive feature: he's the sole survivor of the previous, pre-big bang universe and after everything ends, he will move on to the next one. In his FF run, Hickman explores the fact that next time, he won't be alone as Franklin will move on with him.

This might be irrelevant to what is going on but thematically, if anyone would be there after everything ends, it would be Franklin and Galactus. Rabum Alal being one of these two would mean they could be able to survive the incursion game. That's not motive, but that's half-opportunity.

Loke13

Avengers #41-
If you come at the king, Panther, you best not miss. I eagerly await Namor's reaction.

At this extremely late stage with him not making any kind of appearance, I don't think Rabum Alal is going to be a new character whose motivations and nature need to be explained. He'll be a new version of an old character like an alternate universe version of a new Galactus as hinted in Fantastic Four #600. Instead of a devourer of worlds he devours universes. We all know who Galactus is so Hickman won't need to waste time explaining it.

I don't know Hickman himself said that Rabum was a new character I doubt he'd go through all the trouble of this build up, killing the Living Tribunal, and dusting off Molecule Man and the Beyonders just to reveal that it is another version of Galactus.

Fintan

Bob Geldoff?

I can see it.

Like, he literally is The World? It works on a lot of levels. And because of that song, it would make a great foil for Evil Reed, who would reply that "HE are the World".

I really love this theory!!
geldof.jpg

But maybe actually some amalgam of the two?

It just occurred to me about where this is going. I am still waiting for Doom to come in and save everyone, but also call them all idiots for not thinking of the solution themselves.

But, since it seems we are heading for a Richards vs. Richards showdown, what if Doom is the one to kill Ultimate Reed, and with him erased from existence, Doom will finally achieve permanently killing Reed Richards? Doom finally getting some closure to that. And of course, he will still have 616 Richards to drive his hatred after, but he still killed Reed Richards.

Fintan

It just occurred to me about where this is going. I am still waiting for Doom to come in and save everyone, but also call them all idiots for not thinking of the solution themselves.

But, since it seems we are heading for a Richards vs. Richards showdown, what if Doom is the one to kill Ultimate Reed, and with him erased from existence, Doom will finally achieve permanently killing Reed Richards? Doom finally getting some closure to that. And of course, he will still have 616 Richards to drive his hatred after, but he still killed Reed Richards.
I'm still really unclear on Doom's involvement. I think he will be the first to discover what ultimately leads to Secret Wars.

But I'm banking on an UU Reed and a regular Reed confrontation. I'm hoping Doom gets a crucial role, he was sort of sidetracked during a lot of Hickman's FF Run, even if he ultimately had an important role.

Similarly, I hope Peter has an important role when all is said and done, even if it eventually comes in secret Wars. He seems to me to be THE crucial marvel character. Spidey has to have a say in things!

Fintan

Spidey + Doom + Pym team up to save us all! Richards stuck on the sidelines to watch real genius at work.
Yeah, I'm dying to find out what is going on with Pym and the Beyonders. I was hoping hoping, judging by the cover, to have a full blown issue about what Pym was up to rather than the last page cliffhanger. Any speculation on how the Beyonders fit into things?

When's the next issue BTW?

The Ultimate universe established the idea of stacks of multiverses, and Doom appears to have built a machine in that void capable of drilling down through them. So... we'll find out soon enough.

kswiston

Spidey + Doom + Pym team up to save us all! Richards stuck on the sidelines to watch real genius at work.

I think your love of Doom is blinding you to the fact that Hickman loves Reed Richards, and he's the one writing this story. Doom is going to try and power-grab at some point like he did in the original Secret Wars, but I really doubt he will be the one to solve the ultimate problem. Maybe he will fight Thanos. Comic geeks would like that.

Spoit

I think your love of Doom is blinding you to the fact that Hickman loves Reed Richards, and he's the one writing this story. Doom is going to try and power-grab at some point like he did in the original Secret Wars, but I really doubt he will be the one to solve the ultimate problem. Maybe he will fight Thanos. Comic geeks would like that.

Maybe I'm misremembering his FF run, but wasn't doom (and Valeria) the one who actually solved the problem that a whole multiverse of reeds couldn't?

kswiston

Maybe I'm misremembering his FF run, but wasn't doom (and Valeria) the one who actually solved the problem that a whole multiverse of reeds couldn't?

I'm not sure what problem you are referring to. Valeria convinced him to hold up the angry Celestials for awhile and he didn't die in the effort (so I guess that is better than most of those Reeds could claim), but Future Franklin and Galactus were the one who stopped them.

I think you're both right and wrong in the sense that the point of the whole run was that the FF are a family and pretty much everyone was critical to saving the world. In the grand scheme of things, Franklin is their biggest gun, Valeria is their master architect, Reed is a problem solver with a heart and Doom does what is necessary but on their own, they're useless.

Seeing the number of threats/problems to solve right now, I don't think it's going to come down to one person. The machine might be broken but I still the point hammered through Act I that the Avengers are a big idea still stands. I do believe they will get to the other side of this because one way or another, they're part of the Avengers machine. Typically, 1610 doesn't really have that, as evidenced by Reed doing everything on his own.

Slightly off topic, but powering through the Hickman Avengers run has made me start going through his Fantastic Four stuff, and well...it is fantastic. I am about to start issue 583, and it has been so much fun so far. Each issue seems to be a brand new crazy adventure for the family, but I can see some of the strands start to come together in it.
At first I was annoyed with the end of each issue where it was just a page of events that happened after, kind of tidying up the story and putting a bow on it. And then the joke came halfway through one issue as to what those summaries were, and it was awesome.

EDIT: Onto FF now. And this page is hilarious.

B9tJE6kIcAALvju.jpg

I can't decide what my favorite part of it is. Doom sending out invites to other villains to have a symposium on defeating Richards, the fact that it is being hosted in Richards' home with him there, or the promised Q & A afterwards.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
B9tJE6kIcAALvju.jpg

I can't decide what my favorite part of it is. Doom sending out invites to other villains to have a symposium on defeating Richards, the fact that it is being hosted in Richards' home with him there, or the promised Q & A afterwards.

I think my favorite part is that it's Sue handing out the invitations.

Top Bottom