• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| ALT+CTRL DELETE DELETE DELETE NERO, IT'S OVAH!

I'm curious what's the reason for the women's title change on Raw. I mean, everyone and their mother knew Sasha was gonna get it come Summerslam, but having it done on Raw is as interesting as it is confusing. My guess is it was done to give Raw an edge?

"New era" so let's not be so damn predictable and make people actually believe they need to watch or they'll miss something.

UberTag

Stop standing in the way of Kane's deserved title reign then. He started wrestling before both, has better entrances, and didn't test positive
Here ya go... Kane as WWF WWE Champion. Enjoy!

03_Masked_Kane.jpg

dream

I mean, look, we all know that pro wrestling is shit, and we tend to only love it when they acknowledge that it's shit and go way off the rails (see: The Final Deletion, Lucha Underground, "Chikara"). But goddamn. Between the cWc and Raw Live doing little things like in-ring post-fight interviews, and Mike Cole running down the credentials of Fin, and Corey Graves being a goddamn revelation in the booth, I think we need to introduce more elements of sport into the product. Because tonight's show was excellent because of those elements.

He's already had numerous title reigns.

WWF Championship (1 time)[25]
World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[244]
ECW Championship (1 time)[79]
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (2 times)[40]
WWF Hardcore Championship (1 time)[39]
WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Big Show (1)[245] and Daniel Bryan (1)
World Tag Team Championship (9 times) – with Mankind (2), X-Pac (2), The Undertaker (2), The Hurricane (1), Rob Van Dam (1), and Big Show (1)[26]
WCW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with The Undertaker[41]
Money in the Bank (SmackDown 2010)[233]
Most eliminations in cumulative Royal Rumbles – 19 eliminations[246][247]
Bragging Rights Trophy (2009) – with Team SmackDown (Chris Jericho, R-Truth, Matt Hardy, Finlay, and The Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd)
Slammy Award (2 time)
Best Family Values (2010) Beating up Jack Swagger Sr
Match of the Year (2014) Team Cena vs. Team Authority at Survivor Series[248]
Eighth Triple Crown Champion
Third Grand Slam Champion

Show me one Universal or WWE title reign there, all I see is WWF, World Heavyweight, and tag shit. Even WCW and ECW shit!

Delete your erroneous comment

Purexed

Banned
I'm pretty sure the guys in the back would've been more pissed if Roman won again after blowing his forced (for months, btw) push by being an idiot.

Finn Balor was a majorly over babyface in NXT carried WWEs second brand for months and helped make it a touring promotion. Not to mention that he made himself by getting over all across the world and while never winning the IWGP Heavyweight title, was one of the most successful gajins in NJPW history. He even founded what (for a time) was a highly successful, modern NWO successor. Finn being "hotshotted" into the main event is like AJ Styles debuting at the Rumble and getting main event feuds from day one. It grows business and shows on some level that being a good worker can take you where you want to go.

Given the recent history of watching NXT stars jump to the main roster, stardom in NXT doesn't mean shit in the big show. Already listed a shortlist of examples, but another that comes to mind is Neville. He was an incredible worker in NXT, but he's not connecting as much on the main roster.

AJ Styles came in and quickly earned for his main event status. He had match of the year candidates with Reigns, Cena, and even fat Jericho. Based on what I saw tonight, Balor is not AJ Styles. Hell, Roman carried that main event and told a great story in that match as the powerhouse he's been billed as

Believe me, I'm not saying Roman should have won. I was rooting for Cesaro to get his moment.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WWF Championship (1 time)[25]
World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[244]
ECW Championship (1 time)[79]
WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (2 times)[40]
WWF Hardcore Championship (1 time)[39]
WWE Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Big Show (1)[245] and Daniel Bryan (1)
World Tag Team Championship (9 times) – with Mankind (2), X-Pac (2), The Undertaker (2), The Hurricane (1), Rob Van Dam (1), and Big Show (1)[26]
WCW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with The Undertaker[41]
Money in the Bank (SmackDown 2010)[233]
Most eliminations in cumulative Royal Rumbles – 19 eliminations[246][247]
Bragging Rights Trophy (2009) – with Team SmackDown (Chris Jericho, R-Truth, Matt Hardy, Finlay, and The Hart Dynasty (David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd)
Slammy Award (2 time)
Best Family Values (2010) Beating up Jack Swagger Sr
Match of the Year (2014) Team Cena vs. Team Authority at Survivor Series[248]
Eighth Triple Crown Champion
Third Grand Slam Champion

Show me one Universal or WWE title reign there, all I see is WWF, World Heavyweight, and tag shit. Even WCW and ECW shit!

Delete your erroneous comment

I'm pretty sure he might be the only person to ever debut in a Meltzer Five Star Match. Certainly the only one in the WWF.

Ithil

Given the recent history of watching NXT stars jump to the main roster, stardom in NXT doesn't mean shit in the big show. Already listed a shortlist of examples, but another that comes to mind is Neville. He was an incredible worker in NXT, but he's not connecting as much on the main roster.

AJ Styles came in and quickly earned for his main event status. He had match of the year candidates with Reigns, Cena, and even fat Jericho. Based on what I saw tonight, Balor is not AJ Styles. Hell, Roman carried that main event and told a great story in that match as the powerhouse he's been billed as

Believe me, I'm not saying Roman should have won. I was rooting for Cesaro to get his moment.

What exactly was Neville given again?

No stories, no angles, no character, no promos, no feuds, even, and 50/50 booking. What are you supposed to do with that when you're not a great talker?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I mean, AJ has a lot in common with Balor, but he actually has improved his promo work noticeably within the last few months.

But NXT stars have started really getting over now, I dunno. Owens and Zayn are staple characters for the brand now. You can argue NXT paid pretty slim dividends up until recently when its been routinely producing bankable stars.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have to say, I really want to see Seth cut a promo about being Champion of the Universe with that cackling laugh of his.

Imagine a world where Reigns never failed a drug test.....RAW would have been the same old shit tonight.

Probably would have just been Rollins eating that pin from Balor tonight. Thank you Roman!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I dunno. Owens and Zayn are staple characters for the brand now.

You can argue NXT paid pretty slim dividends up until recently when its been routinely producing bankable stars.

It really depends on if you count the shield as NXT or not. If you don't then no, it kinda sucked for callups before Owens.

Edit: Besides Rusev, who owns.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It really depends on if you count the shield as NXT or not. If you don't then no, it kinda sucked for callups before Owens.

They don't count at all, really. I mean, I guess they might, but the Shield gimmick itself was a main roster creation and NXT wasn't much more than FCW at the time Rollins was its champion.

Daniel Bryan is the GM of Smackdown and they made Raw focused on in-ring action with post-match interviews and cruiserweights.

Bryan thought being retired would stop the jokes and ribbing but nope, that only comes when you're out of the company for good.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Paige is really over and popular. They don't use her because the women only get 1 feud at a time and the Horsewomen kind of came through and crushed the buildings but I think it's too harsh to say she failed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Daniel Bryan is the GM of Smackdown and they made Raw focused on in-ring action with post-match interviews and cruiserweights.

Bryan thought being retired would stop the jokes and ribbing but nope, that only comes when you're out of the company for good.

Eh, they redebuted a super heavyweight and a monster for the women's division, and almost everyone in the other featured matches was a heavyweight.

It is going to sting this fall if they give them an hour every night.

Purexed

Banned
What exactly was Neville given again?

No stories, no angles, no character, no promos, no feuds, even, and 50/50 booking. What are you supposed to do with that when you're not a great talker?

Stone Cold says it best, part of the deal is turning chicken shit into chicken salad. Point being Neville was THE MAN in NXT, so his failure to connect is a fair thing to note. But anytime an Indy star fails to become a stsr, it's all WWE's fault.

I'm way late to the party, but I'm trying to catch up to All Japan so I can watch the July 23 show with Miyahara vs. Akiyama and the Strong BJ vs. Big Guns rematch. The Strong BJ vs. Big Guns match from June 15 is a really entertaining match about Strong BJ discovering the power of teamwork to unseat the Big Guns, and Zeus is definitely a contender for most improved wrestler of the year.

Look at this deadlift German suplex!

Recommended.

Angry Grimace

Paige is really over and popular. They don't use her because the women only get 1 feud at a time and the Horsewomen kind of came through and crushed the buildings but I think it's too harsh to say she failed.

I got the impression they don't push her because she's difficult. But yeah, she's just not as good as the Four Horsewomen, which is kind of a problem for her because the entire division now revolves around them (the way it used to revolve around Paige).

It's not really fair to her since she's an okay wrestler, but they really did start taking the division a lot more seriously within the last two years so the point at which she was the main star feels like it was a different era.

Ithil

Stone Cold says it best, part of the deal is turning chicken shit into chicken salad. Point being Neville was THE MAN in NXT, so his failure to connect is a fair thing to note. But anytime an Indy star fails to become a stsr, it's all WWE's fault.

How does one connect with everything I listed taken away?

Neville was given absolutely nothing, and even his biggest strengths were not utilized at all.

I got the impression they don't push her because she's difficult. But yeah, she's just not as good as the Four Horsewomen, which is kind of a problem for her because the entire division now revolves around them (the way it used to revolve around Paige).

It's not really fair to her since she's an okay wrestler, but they really did start taking the division a lot more seriously within the last two years so the point at which she was the main star feels like it was a different era.

Paige should have been drafted to SD. She will be stuck at the back behind Sasha, Charlotte and Nia now lol.

Did she even come out at the beginning with the whole roster? I didn't see her.

Caderfix

The Reings project had a lot of problems. The invincibility, booking stubborness, the fact that he was put over so consistently, having even a RR basically dedicated to him while a lot of fresh stars were left in the limbo. After a decade of "Cena wins lol", it's easy to undertand why so many fans rejected him. He was Vince's guy and the fans dreaded 10 more years of the same thing. Stupid character overcoming the odds, pulling victories out of nowhere, no selling, burying talent, etc.

Whether or not you feel the same about Roman's push, booing Reings and not booing Finn is only inconsistent if you look at it with no context. If you followed the WWE for the past couple of years, in order to write the reaction off as "inconsistency", you'd have to willingly pretend the context isn't there.

She has pretty good chemistry with Sasha based on their past matches, so I could see them working a feud soon, but that would require Paige turning heel AGAIN.

Purexed

Banned
I mean...I wouldn't have had a problem with either of that.

What's your point?

An argument starting with wrestler X began wrestling in Y year is a flimsy foundation for anything. But what do I know... let's put the strap on Flair for the 17th time!! Wooooo!

She has pretty good chemistry with Sasha based on their past matches, so I could see them working a feud soon, but that would require Paige turning heel AGAIN.
Heel Paige is great but we need a return of heel Sasha. Tonight gave her that babyface moment of celebration but I hope in the next few months we get a return of the Boss. Probably would need to turn on either Becky or Bayley to get a negative reception though.

Top Bottom