• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes July 12th

Welfare

Code:
Xbox One 211,900

MoM Rise = 97.9%

YoY Drop = 28.4%

Weekly average

Xbox One May: 107,100 / 4 = 26,775
Xbox One June: 211,900 / 5 = 42,380

Rise = 58.3%

Code:
PS4 234,500

MoM Rise = 13.1%

YoY Drop = 35.6%

Weekly average

PS4 May: 207,300 / 4 = 51,825
PS4 June: 234,500 / 5 = 46,900

Drop = 9.5%

Code:
Wii U 34,600 

MoM Rise = 36.8%

YoY drop = 50.7%

Weekly average

Wii U May: 25,300 / 4 = 6,325
Wii U June: 34,600 / 5 = 6,920

Rise = 9.4%

Price drops really helped the XB1. Almost doubled May.

donny2112

So when the public release happens next Thursday, we'll already know hardware numbers (minus maybe 3DS), but the OP won't be allowed to include those values, since the source is from Aqua/NPD (good source) at VGC (banned site and for good reason). Awkward.

Welfare

YTD 2014 January - June

PS4: 1.576m
XB1: 1.100m
WIU: 450k

YTD 2015 January - June

PS4: 1.552m (-1.5% YoY)
XB1: 1.277m (+16.1% YoY)
WIU: 396k (-12% YoY)

YTD 2016 January - June

PS4: 1.582m (+1.9% YoY)
XB1: 1.108m (-13.2% YoY)
WIU: 268k (-32.4% YoY)

Total LTD:

PS4: ~14m
XB1: ~12.2m
WIU: ~5.3m

allan-bh

So when the public release happens next Thursday, we'll already know hardware numbers (minus maybe 3DS), but the OP won't be allowed to include those values, since the source is from Aqua/NPD (good source) at VGC (banned site and for good reason). Awkward.

Public release is basically irrelevant from now on because will be one week later and software chart will mix physical/digital with physical only and will not have platforms ranking.

What matters is Aquamarine and others, NPD public info will be virtually useless.

Welfare

LTD for 8th gen vs 7th gen launch aligned (8th gen won't be exactly accurate, might be off by a few thousand units)

Xbox 360 32 months [Nov 05 - Jun 08] - 10,461,100
Xbox One 32 months [Nov 13 - Jun 16] - 12,232,200 (+16.9%)

PS3 32 months [Nov 06 - Jun 09] - 7,910,100
PS4 32 months [Nov 13 - Jun 16] - 13,991,800 (+76.9%)

Wii 44 months [Nov 06 - Jun 10] - 29,590,300
Wii U 44 months [Nov 12 - Jun 16] - 5,266,000 (-82.2%)

Posting Aquamarine's chart for the new page.

angp5fx.png

Overwatch's performance in June

Aquamarine said:
Overwatch standalone SKU NPD data:

Jun-16: 421.6K

As you can see, Overwatch is actually HIGHER than its release month in May where it sold like 350K (can't remember exact number).

Even when you look at standalone packaged goods of Overwatch which represents a mere fraction of its overall sell-through, you can see how word of mouth continues to have a tremendous impact on the product.

allan-bh

LTD for 8th gen vs 7th gen launch aligned (8th gen won't be exactly accurate, might be off by a few thousand units)

Xbox 360 32 months [Nov 05 - Jun 08] - 10,461,100
Xbox One 32 months [Nov 13 - Jun 16] - 12,232,200 (+16.9%)

PS3 32 months [Nov 06 - Jun 09] - 7,910,100
PS4 32 months [Nov 13 - Jun 16] - 13,991,800 (+76.9%)

Wii 44 months [Nov 06 - Jun 10] - 29,590,300
Wii U 44 months [Nov 12 - Jun 16] - 5,266,000 (-82.2%)

Poor Nintendo.

I wonder when Xbox One will fall behind 360.

Welfare

Poor Nintendo.

I wonder when Xbox One will fall behind 360.

It'll take until 2010 at the least for the XB1 to fall behind. Xbox 360 in 2008 had a price drop in September, but the Xbox One has the Slim in that period as well.

The 360 sold an additional 3,394,400 in the rest of 2008, something the One will most likely accomplish through just the November+December period.

2009 is when XB1 could lose pace if the Slim doesn't rebound sales, and then 2010 will be impossible to keep up with.

bananas

Banned
It'll take until 2010 at the least for the XB1 to fall behind. Xbox 360 in 2008 had a price drop in September, but the Xbox One has the Slim in that period as well.

The 360 sold an additional 3,394,400 in the rest of 2008, something the One will most likely accomplish through just the November+December period.

2009 is when XB1 could lose pace if the Slim doesn't rebound sales, and then 2010 will be impossible to keep up with.

Well, XBone will be sharing the market with Scorpio by that time, so I don't think you would be able to directly compare them anymore.

donny2112

Well, XBone will be sharing the market with Scorpio by that time, so I don't think you would be able to directly compare them anymore.

By this criteria (that I agree with), Wii was #1 last gen, since it was well #1 when Wii U came out. Just pointing out that not everyone is going to share that opinion. *shrugs*

Will XB1 share the same sales as Scorpio or would they be entirely different consoles because of the gigantic spec difference.

I'm thinking is this:

DS to 3DS
or
3DS to New 3DS

If Scorpio is a new console and sales are separate than yes 2009 360 will surely beat XB1 2017 sales do to Scorpio build up and pre-orders.

donny2112

From the early specs, I think Scorpio has to be considered a new console. It's not a DSi/n3DS situation, I think. We'll have a better picture as we see more details and games next year, though.

So Overwatch did in fact grow from month 1 to month 2. Somewhere in some thread we had some predictions on that. Anyone remember where?

donny2112

So Overwatch did in fact grow from month 1 to month 2. Somewhere in some thread we had some predictions on that. Anyone remember where?

Ryng_tolu was pointing it out and discussing how long-tail games tend to do that in past years, too. Just mainly on Nintendo consoles (e.g. MK8, Splatoon). Think it was the last prediction thread, but it may have been the May NPD thread, instead. Just look for his posts in those threads.

Ryng_tolu was pointing it out and discussing how long-tail games tend to do that in past years, too. Just mainly on Nintendo consoles (e.g. MK8, Splatoon). Think it was the last prediction thread, but it may have been the May NPD thread, instead. Just look for his posts in those threads.

Actually page 2 of this one. Ryng said #1 and > 400k. So, props for that.

And yeah we did have stuff in the May thread. I'll dig it up.

RexNovis

Banned
So wait if we know all the figures at this point does that mean prediction results will be posted soon? It's crazy that we have all the info before the actual NPD public release this time around. What a bizarre turn of events this has been.

Javin98

Banned
Will XB1 share the same sales as Scorpio or would they be entirely different consoles because of the gigantic spec difference.

I'm thinking is this:

DS to 3DS
or
3DS to New 3DS

If Scorpio is a new console and sales are separate than yes 2009 360 will surely beat XB1 2017 sales do to Scorpio build up and pre-orders.
Honestly, in my opinion, Microsoft is ditching the idea of generations entirely. The Scorpio is close to a generational leap in power compared to the XB1 that I think if we were to stick with the traditional generations, it would be a next gen console. Also, unless I'm mistaken, Microsoft said that they are not going to force devs to make two versions of the games on both XB1 and Scorpio, unlike the PS4 and Neo. In my opinion, that is another factor that makes the Scorpio "next gen".

The PS4 Neo, on the other hand, is a lot closer to the mid gen upgrades seen in Nintendo's handhelds. No games can be made exclusively for the Neo. Hell, Sony even went as far as to prevent new content for games to be made exclusively for Neo. The Neo is released just for significantly improved visual fidelity and performance.

Bruno MB

Overwatch was only tracked for 5 days in May vs 5 full weeks in June. Also, it is a game that wasn't going to be frontloaded, new multiplayer shooter IP.

In the UK sales were 20% up in June.

Welfare

Scorpio is being positioned as both a unique console in terms of performance (4K) and VR, but is also just a beefed up XB1 since it shares the same library and no exclusives (sans VR).

It was also said at E3 to be a part of the "Xbox One family", so it could be tracked like the DS family is now.

Javin98

Banned
Scorpio is being positioned as both a unique console in terms of performance (4K) and VR, but is also just a beefed up XB1 since it shares the same library and no exclusives (sans VR).

It was also said at E3 to be a part of the "Xbox One family", so it could be tracked like the DS family is now.
Eh? I thought Microsoft said devs could make games exclusively for Scorpio if they wanted to? Without a base XB1 version, that is, disregarding non-XBox consoles for a sec.

RexNovis

Banned
Also very surprised to see PS4 down on a weekly average basis from last month. I guess this would imply that UC4 was actually a bigger HW mover than most of us thought.

XB1 gains over previous month are insane. Just wow. For once those promotions seemed to have pulled some serious sales in. Id imagine we will see that carry over into this month as well. Once these promotions end the XB1S is set to be released so that should put up some solid numbers for MS too. They seem to be in a pretty fantastic position sales wise for the next couple months.

Javin98

Banned
Also very surprised to see PS4 down on a weekly average basis from last month. I guess this would imply that UC4 was actually a bigger HW mover than most of us thought.
I was thinking the same. Didn't want to say because we don't have enough evidence this was the case. :p

Scorpio is not a new generation. Microsoft are abandoning those. http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...ft-behind-message-regarding-scorpio-and-games

First quote in the article by Xbox Services GM, Dave McCarthy.
Okay, guess I was wrong, then. In my defense, the wording and messaging on Scorpio from Microsoft was pretty confusing. :p

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I'm awake.

Basically PS4 worse than i thought and XBO way better than expect. Wii U too but at this point who cares.

Also yes, not surprised about OverWatch sales. Games like this always have good legs, expect good results even in July as well.

Welfare

Uncharted helped move 51k bundles in May. Those sales were not going to be replicated this month.

RexNovis

Banned
"No one gets left behind!"

Wait is that an actual marketing tag line for Scorpio? Yikes. Can't believe they'd go with something so reminiscent of the absolute train wreck of a federal policy that is almost unanimously hated due to the way it wreaked havoc on the US education system...

Javin98

Banned
Wait is that an actual marketing tag line for Scorpio? Yikes. Can't believe they'd go with something so reminiscent of the absolute train wreck of a federal policy that is almost unanimously hated due to the way it wreaked havoc on the US education system...
You wut, m8??

I'm ignorant in politics and shit. Plus, not American :p

RexNovis

Banned
You wut, m8??

I'm ignorant in politics and shit. Plus, not American :p

Look up George W. Bush's "No Child Left Behind" Act. he frequently plugged it by saying "no one gets left behind." And it is widely responsible for the education systems wholesale transition to "teach to the test" methodologies.

But I digress. Probably overreacted due to being an educator.

Javin98

Banned
Look up George W. Bush's "No Child Left Behind" Act. he frequently plugged it by saying "no one gets left behind." And it is widely responsible for the education systems wholesale switch over to "teach to the test" methodologies.
Oh, I see. Haha, I was just kidding anyway. Wanted to use "You wut, m8" for fun. :p

Great performance by Overwatch. Just imagine where its at globally including all platforms and digitally

Thats a pretty nasty month though for hardware though. Everything down YoY

RexNovis

Banned
Great performance by Overwatch. Just imagine where its at globally including all platforms and digitally

Thats a pretty nasty month though for hardware though. Everything down YoY

Down YoY was to be expected as there were some heavyweights released last year during June. But yea it down more than most anticipated. The PS4 figures are especially low compared to most predictions.

Down YoY was to be expected as there were some heavyweights released last year during June. But yea it down more than most anticipated. The PS4 figures are especially low compared to most predictions.

For sure, but yeah it was not a good looking month. Not here saying doom or anything its just, damn thats a dire month.

Welfare

Get ya sum learnin up in that there post right up theya. I done did splain it afore.

I mean maybe most people don't make that connection when they hear that catchphrase but it immediately jumped to mind for me. Then again it's something that has affected my professionally so guess that makes sense.

Don't worry, I know what NCLB is lol. Thankfully I didn't need to feel the consequences of it being in honors classes.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PS4 2016 compared to last year January to May = +158,000

PS4 2016 compared to last year in June = -129,000

...Man this month literally killed all the up YOY trend of PS4 :p

Next month PS4 will be down YOY (total YOY sales), and should remain down until November/December i believe, with Neo release.

donny2112

I mean maybe most people don't make that connection when they hear that catchphrase but it immediately jumped to mind for me. Then again it's something that has affected my professionally so guess that makes sense.

I remember it quite well, because that was from back when I actually paid real attention to daily news and politics. I'm generally in a post-caring phase now, and life is that much less frustrating, as a result. On the subject, it's a good concept of setting minimum standards that all graduating students should be at, but implementing it solely in a test form was always going to result in teaching to the test unfortunately. When your school's federal paycheck is tied to your school's performance on a test, the test is what your school's going to be concerned with. Still a good intention, though.

Javin98

Banned
PS4 2016 compared to last year January to May = +158,000

PS4 2016 compared to last year in June = -129,000

...Man this month literally killed all the up YOY trend of PS4 :p

Next month PS4 will be down YOY (total YOY sales), and should remain down until November/December i believe, with Neo release.
Watch as the PS4 overperforms expectations next month. :p

Seriously, though, so far I've noticed that the PS4 has two months of performing above expectations, then the next month under, then overperforming again. Let's see if the trend stays. :p

RexNovis

Banned
I remember it quite well, because that was from back when I actually paid real attention to daily news and politics. I'm generally in a post-caring phase now, and it's life is that much less frustrating, as a result. On the subject, it's a good concept of setting minimum standards that all graduating students should be at, but implementing it solely in a test form was always going to result in teaching to the test unfortunately. When your school's federal paycheck is tied to your school's performance on a test, the test is what your school's going to be concerned with. Still a good intention, though.

Yea it's true but you know how the old saying goes: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. In reality it was a bunch of politicians with no educational experience or expertise making educational policies with earth shattering ramifications and at the time it seemed like a pretty popular move too. It's just that nobody bothered to explain the fine print until after the bill was passed and the devil (federal funding allocations based solely on standardized scores alone) was in the details.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Seriously, though, so far I've noticed that the PS4 has two months of performing above expectations, then the next month under, then overperforming again. Let's see if the trend stays. :p

Personally:

January: better than expect
February: better than expect
March: worse than expect
April: worse than expect
May: better than expect
June: worse than expect

3 VS 3

Let's see if finally it's start to sell what i expect. :D

Btw, i predicted 5.8 million if i remember correctly in 2016... so far i'm confident with that prediction.

RexNovis

Banned
Yes. I chose to use the word 'intention' intentionally for that purpose. (^_^)

Well then I do believe we are in agreement then. But yea that was a crazy tangent haha. Let's resume our regularly scheduled Sales Age programming.

So do y'all think XB1 weekly average will be up again this month or will it stay relatively flat? Given the fact that last month the deals only really kicked in post E3 and this month it's the platform has basically been in sale consistently from the start I could actually see it being up again but I doubt it's be by in the double digits percentage wise.

Welfare

It's a guarantee that the PS4 stays down YoY until a price drop/Neo. It sold 218k in July 2015, and even if the PS4 were to hold steady with its weekly average from June to July (46,900), it would do 187,600 (Actually really close to what it did in July 2014). I'll be doing the June to July weekly average comparison shortly, but just to quickly guess before I do it, the weekly average drop might cause the PS4 to be somewhere around 150k in July.

So do y'all think XB1 weekly average will be up again this month or will it stay relatively flat? Given the fact that last month the deals only really kicked in post E3 and this month it's the platform has basically been in sale consistently from the start I could actually see it being up again but I doubt it's be by in the double digits percentage wise.

Nah, it'll be down. There were two price cuts in June, one right at the start and one right after E3. Unless Amazon Prime Day pushed tons of XB1's, I'd expect the average to drop as well.

Top Bottom