• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Junichi Masuda talks about the future for Pokémon on Nintendo Switch

"Of course, it is very difficult to make the game, so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high,” Masuda admitted. “We’ll do our best.”

I want to get excited, but this doesn't sound promising...

Hydrus

"Of course, it is very difficult to make the game, so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high,” Masuda admitted. “We’ll do our best

No it isn't, and no you won't. Your company just refuses to invest in bigger, better teams to make bigger, better games for one of the richest franchises around.

13ruce

Banned
I certainly hope it atleast has the same amount of postgame/extra content as soulsilver/heartgold or Black&White 1/2.

No excuse now to severely limit on extra side content.

Aleh

I want to get excited, but this doesn't sound promising...
But he's perfectly right. If you check the recent wishlist thread we had people are expecting genre shifts, ps4 level graphics and crazy things like only using the first 151 Pokémon or putting multiple regions in a single game while having the content of BOTW and more.

Atheerios

q3PDrsQ.jpg

I certainly hope it atleast has the same amount of postgame/extra content as soulsilver/heartgold or Black&White 1/2.

No excuse now to severely limit on extra side content.

massive Battle Temple
sign outside reads

"Now under construction!"

Airport with flights to Kanto and Johto
ticker sign says

"All flights delayed until further notice"

Hidden tunnel to Mt. Silver
but you can't get through

the gate keeper 'feels the rhythm!' and just can't stop dancing

Pokemon has many timeless, internationally known characters and creatures so yeah it is actually important to have strong creature design? Is this really the pedantry sword you want to fall upon?

Never said it wasn't important, but you're claiming it's virtually the only thing preserving the franchise. There are plenty of games with internationally recognized and celebrated characters that bomb as video game entries.

RockmanBN

"Of course, it is very difficult to make the game, so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high,” Masuda admitted. “We’ll do our best

No it isn't, and no you won't. Your company just refuses to invest in bigger, better teams to make bigger, better games for one of the richest franchises around.
Every new main game sells over 10 million and second versions usually do around 6-8 million. I don't see why they don't want to invest more.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to some removed features from the latest games, like excessive cutscenes and hand-holding, extreme linearity and bad online features (replaced for good ones!).

Considering people are expecting Pokémon of the Wild and not Sun & Moon but maybe a bit more open and with better graphics means a lot of people are going to get disappointed.
Paraglider, please? :(

You what?

I'll give you Sun & Moon, but the Generation VI online functionality and services are the best that have ever existed on a Nintendo platform
Yup, gen 6 had a fantastic online service. Playing Y on the day of release made me feel like I was finally playing a Pokemon MMO, with all those fellow players appearing on the bottom screen. It was a beautiful experience.

People should watch this...they called out forum posters (gaf included) near the end.
lol
Now that they've modeled the entire Pokepantheon in 3D they might as well do something with them.

I REALLY want a console-scale Pokemon adventure but it might overshadow X/Y. It'll be a few years before such a game comes to proper fruition.
M6xtxCf.png

Peltz

I don't expect much. Basically HD Sun and Moon.

But I honestly don't see the reason why a series that makes as much money as Pokémon does couldn't evolve in a really dynamic and interesting way. What is it about Pokémon that makes it resistant to widespread change?

You said it yourself... It already makes money.

El Sabroso

Considering people are expecting Pokémon of the Wild and not Sun & Moon but maybe a bit more open and with better graphics means a lot of people are going to get disappointed.

I expect Coliseum/XD style of game, as long as the framerate isn't a nightmare as SunMoon, I am ok with what they come.

Griss

"Of course, it is very difficult to make the game, so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high,” Masuda admitted. “We’ll do our best.”

Don't worry, Masuda, at this stage Pokemon is basically "Lowered Expectations: The Series". You've already convinced all your fans that incremental improvements over the space of multiple years is more than enough to be worthy of a new game.

Problem is a lack of investment. With the money they make they could afford a team three times bigger than what they have. They just don't think a higher quality game would lead to more sales, so they don't bother. And they're probably right.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I wonder if GAF actually realise that Musuda was most likely joking with that statement, or is GAF overreacting as usual.

But I honestly don't see the reason why a series that makes as much money as Pokémon does couldn't evolve in a really dynamic and interesting way. What is it about Pokémon that makes it resistant to widespread change?

Because there's two part of the main series Pokémon game;

-The Single player campaign
-The Meta game

Both part need to gel together which means the single player mode can't drastically change up the game play like changing the battle from Turn base to real time, plus there's the matter of game balancing for moves and Pokémon.

Game Freak is incompetent at actual development.

No they are not.

Their games look ugly

That's your opinion but personally I think they look great.

and have frame rate and performance problems despite not actually being demanding games.

False, the 3DS hardware struggles to cope with the high detailed Pokémon model which is why the frame rates drops with certain Pokémon or in double battle.

It's also why they dropped Triple and rotational battle in gen 7 simply because the 3DS just can not handle it.

Should I keep going?

Please do, I would love to hear you spout more incorrect information.

Aleh

I'm expecting handheld mode only tbh
They don't want to do HD, would take forever to do

They literally say in the video that they're now making a home console game. AND that's it feels different than the usual handheld hardware upgrade and it's gonna be different

...Not to mention the handheld is HD too anyways...

13ruce

Banned
massive Battle Temple
sign outside reads

"Now under construction!"

Airport with flights to Kanto and Johto
ticker sign says

"All flights delayed until further notice"

Hidden tunnel to Mt. Silver
but you can't get through

the gate keeper 'feels the rhythm!' and just can't stop dancing

Lol that would be hilarious and rage inducing at the same time.

But he's perfectly right. If you check the recent wishlist thread we had people are expecting genre shifts, ps4 level graphics and crazy things like only using the first 151 Pokémon or putting multiple regions in a single game while having the content of BOTW and more.

Yeah, Pokémon seems to get a lot of requests for weird changes that make no sense, specially when you realize that the spin-offs cover a bit of what people seem to be asking for, but here's the thing: there are ways that GameFreak can improve upon the mainline games without completely throwing away the basics of what makes Pokémon "Pokémon". Like, hoping that they scrap the combat system (that they've worked to improve for years) is silly and absolutely not what I want, nor do I expect them to come out with a realistic-looking game because lol, that's not what Pokémon is all about, but is it really too much to ask for a bigger world with which the player can interact more? One of the few things that had me disappointed in Sun & Moon is how the world looked more interesting and complex than previous games and yet there was hardly any freedom for me in how to interact with it. I feel like a Pokémon game with bigger areas and better exploration CAN work, it's just that GameFreak doesn't want to do it, and that is kinda disappointing.

Aleh

Yeah, Pokémon seems to get a lot of requests for weird changes that make no sense, specially when you realize that the spin-offs cover a bit of what people seem to be asking for, but here's the thing: there are ways that GameFreak can improve upon the mainline games without completely throwing away the basics of what makes Pokémon "Pokémon". Like, hoping that they scrap the combat system (that they've worked to improve for years) is silly and absolutely not what I want, nor do I expect them to come out with a realistic-looking game because lol, that's not what Pokémon is all about, but is it really too much to ask for a bigger world with which the player can interact more? One of the few things that had me disappointed in Sun & Moon is how the world looked more interesting and complex than previous games and yet there was hardly any freedom for me in how to interact with it. I feel like a Pokémon game with bigger areas and better exploration CAN work, it's just that GameFreak doesn't want to do it, and that is kinda disappointing.
But Sun and Moon are 3DS games. They can't really do much with it. It's very likely the world is gonna be more explorable now that they're finally on a console as capable as the Switch, but criticizing them for the 3DS games makes no sense

Neoxon

I'm expecting handheld mode only tbh
They don't want to do HD, would take forever to do
Did you not read/watch the interview.?The guys at Game Freak legit spoke on their curiosity of if we'll play the game docked or undocked the most often. And even then, Handheld Mode is already 720p for its screen, so HD development is unavoidable.

The great part about the Switch is not only can you play it at home or on the go, but it feels like having a console on the go including how the games are designed for it. I hope they don't try to look at it like a handheld and design the game around that.

You said it yourself... It already makes money.

That shouldn't be an excuse to not evolve though. That's just complacency.

Because there's two part of the main series Pokémon game;

-The Single player campaign
-The Meta game

Both part need to gel together which means the single player mode can't drastically change up the game play like changing the battle from Turn base to real time, plus there's the matter of game balancing for moves and Pokémon.

None of the balancing makes changing the game an impossible act. You don't have to go real time or change the genre or anything, but the incremental changes are not what people want for a console debut.

They know lmfao.

Neoxon

The great part about the Switch is not only can you play it at home or on the go, but it feels like having a console on the go including how the games are designed for it. I hope they don't try to look at it like a handheld and design the game around that.
They probably will. Maybe we'll see a few changes to take advantage of TV play, but we should probably expect mostly the same experience as Sun/Moon with the usual generational changes that shake up the formula just enough to justify the new generation.

Either way, those expecting Gen 8 to be a BotW-esque Pokémon game with action RPG gameplay are likely gonna be sorely disappointed.

Cartho

I find it hilarious how GF are still like "we're not sure how people will use the system" and "we're interested to find out how people are going to interact with the system, will they play at home? On the move?"

IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. It plays pretty much identically on the move or at home. Just make the bloody game! Whether it's docked or handheld, it has the same controls, the same wi-fi capabilities and pretty much the same graphics - one has slightly more raw horsepower than the other but aside from that.

The way they keep going on makes it sound like it's some totally revolutionary thing, a system TOTALLY UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE BEFORE IT. It's not like you control the system purely with your mind and connect it to plugs in your eyeballs. In terms of controls, online connectivity and graphics tech etc its basically the same as any other system out there. Yes, you can plug it into a TV or play it on the move, however that doesn't really make any difference to the sorts of games you want on it. They've got this weird fixation with Pokemon being a purely handheld title which I just don't understand. Any of the Pokemon games would work on a home console. Just do the trading / battling online. It really isn't rocket science.

They're obsessed with Pokemon being about local play - well guess what guys, SWITCH CAN DO THAT! All they need is a decent online infrastructure to go along with that (which isn't new to them, the 3DS games worked totally online) It is less powerful than a PS4 / Xbox One, but has basically the same buttons and can connect to wi-fi networks.

Seriously GF, stop making excuses and get on with making the bloody game.

But Sun and Moon are 3DS games. They can't really do much with it. It's very likely the world is gonna be more explorable now that they're finally on a console as capable as the Switch, but criticizing them for the 3DS games makes no sense

C'mon, let's not act like the 3DS is incapable of big areas and/or good exploration. Fire Emblem Echoes had some awesome dungeons while still keeping it somewhat simple. That's what I want from Pokémon, and I know GameFreak CAN deliver it, I just hope that's what they're aiming for. They don't need to throw away the basis for their games, I just want bigger and better adventures. ):

Neoxon

Handheld mode on Switch is still in HD...

Also: Didn't we have confirmation that the models in Sun/Moon are already built for HD and scaled down for the 3DS?
Yeah, the Pokémon models specifically were already future-proofed for HD development. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall hearing that the same models were also used in Pokémon GO.

Yeah, the Pokémon models specifically were already future-proofed for HD development. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall hearing that the same models were also used in Pokémon GO.

The models use the same geometry as the ones in Pokemon GO, it's not that they're scaled down, but the 3DS resolution doesn't do them many favours.

Thanks for the confirmation/correction! Seems like that aspect of the game shouldn't be too hard to work with then!

What the fuck it's actually in the video

Why would I photoshop 4 year old Neogaf posts into pictures? :p

Thanks for the confirmation/correction! Seems like that aspect of the game shouldn't be too hard to work with then!

Yeah, they already look pretty fancy in the 3DS Pokedex app actually, but they're using fancy shading and antialiased while the main games use a style that deliberately resembles the old pixel art look.

Top Bottom