• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jupiter announces Picross S for Switch (release: September 28)

daxy

hungry cats colour or whatever ruined regular picross for me

just kidding, i'll totally get this, but you guys should check that out if you haven't already

I tried that Hungry Cats Picross game just now and it's seriously messing with my head. I'm not sure if I can deprogram the way I read the numbers and deduce where to fill in tiles.

There's no universe where using the d-pad is faster than using a stylus in Picross.

I find the d-pad faster because it's way easier to properly count the squares by clicks. with touch controls you have to be more careful not to make mistakes, so unles you are really accurate it's probably not much faster.

Anyways I'm so happy for a new Jupiter Picross on Switch. :D

You can start at any point, but the later games in the e series have more QOL features and options. Picross DS has a stupid amount of content and better presentation than later games. It's a great place to start.

Picross DS has a very annoying feature, especially if you go back to it from newer entries. The bigger boards don't fit on the screen, so you have to inconveniently move the zoom around to fill the board, not having a proper look to the whole board on a single screen. It's clumsy, I played a lot of actual pen and paper Picross plus many videogames and having to zoom is just a big no-no.

This will probably be a great entry point to the series, but any 3DS chapter should do as well, they're pretty cheap, going between free (the Pokemon version), MyNintendo points (the Zelda one) and 5 bucks or so (the E series). The newer ones have a bit more variety and are better products as far as core gameplay goes, but yeah, any is fine. The prices are fantastic for the amount of content in the game's, ranging from supereasy puzzles all the way to some insanely tough ones (there was one in the 2nd to last page on the Zelda game that's tough as nails tbh). It's a great thing to play while watching TV or something as well.

Semajer

Picross DS has a very annoying feature, especially if you go back to it from newer entries. The bigger boards don't fit on the screen, so you have to inconveniently move the zoom around to fill the board, not having a proper look to the whole board on a single screen. It's clumsy, I played a lot of actual pen and paper Picross plus many videogames and having to zoom is just a big no-no.

This will probably be a great entry point to the series, but any 3DS chapter should do as well, they're pretty cheap, going between free (the Pokemon version), MyNintendo points (the Zelda one) and 5 bucks or so (the E series). The newer ones have a bit more variety and are better products as far as core gameplay goes, but yeah, any is fine. The prices are fantastic for the amount of content in the game's, ranging from supereasy puzzles all the way to some insanely tough ones (there was one in the 2nd to last page on the Zelda game that's tough as nails tbh). It's a great thing to play while watching TV or something as well.

That might be true if you're using the touchscreen, but I used buttons and it showed the whole board.

That might be true if you're using the touchscreen, but I used buttons and it showed the whole board.

I didn't even try that probably, wow, good to know. Having done hundreds of pen and paper puzzles and then many on PC with a mouse, I just never could bother with button-based controls as they were counterintuitive to me. Guess I gotta get used to it eventually. Do we really have no touch screen here or is it just speculation?

Santiako

In this thread I'm learning that people use touch controls instead of the dpad in their Picross games. Why? It's so much slower.

Huh, I expected them to stay on the 3DS a while longer. And, honestly, I'd hoped they would; I really don't like Picross without a stylus.

Seems like a waste to stick with 20x15s, too, on a 720p screen.

I never enjoyed it with the stylus. Everything felt snappier using normal controls.

hungry cats colour or whatever ruined regular picross for me

AH-gree!
Regular Picross these days is a little too simplistic for my liking. A few colour variations play with the format enough to introduce new challenges.
I started doing stupid big pencil'n'paper Picrosses just to try and stay interested in the format: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWoIvWEAm3W/?taken-by=jcbkay
It certainly is a new challenge to count and use an eraser and to try and colour in the blocks (especially in puzzles that are over 150 blocks wide)

That said... I'm totally getting this. As one of the posters above, I have ALL Picross e series, 3D AND the original DS picross and the various spinoffs (Pokemon, Zelda).
So, yeah, day 1 purchase obvs.

In this thread I'm learning that people use touch controls instead of the dpad in their Picross games. Why? It's so much slower.

But it feels better. Gives me an kind of feedback that I am totally destroying those blocks with an vengeance.

*edit* Like popping bubblewrap if you will

I honestly don't know how you could think that stylus controls are slower than hammering the D-pad dozens of times to move a cursor all over the board.

Shiggy

How can it be slower with a stylus? It's much faster because you can go from one box to a completely different one immediately. Unless you only have one hand, then you might be right.

PetrCobra

The superior way, with more accuracy and speed on the d-pad.

What? I use d-pad and stylus combo, no way are you more accurate or more fast than that with button inputs

Edit: there has to be a confusion here. Of course using the stylus to change the drawing mode would be slower, using d-pad to do that is the way, but actually drawing the dots and x-es is obviously faster with stylus

Edit2: and also, I hate what the Twilight Princess Picross did, where it only allowed for switching modes instead of "hold down up/down on d-pad to draw". That's also much slower and clumsy.

Shiggy

What? I use d-pad and stylus combo, no way are you more accurate or more fast than that with button inputs

Edit: there has to be a confusion here. Of course using the stylus to change the drawing mode would be slower, using d-pad to do that is the way, but actually drawing the dots and x-es is obviously faster with stylus

I didn't even think about that. Is anyone seriously playing like that (i.e. touch screen only, without using the dpad at all)?

VegiHam

Huh. This is interesting to see cus this is one of those (3)DS franchises that it was kind of ambiguous where hey'd go, or if they'd be mobile or something. Guess I have to buy a switch now.

Also dpad controls are clearly superior.

oti

Banned
Aren't there like... 10 Picross games on 3DS already? Makes sense for them to try out the switch market. Nothing is stopping them to release another 3DS game down the line.

Man, in 8 days we'll get a new Picross game on Switch for 8€. Can't wait.

Doorman

Hell yeah, love me some Picross even though I bizarrely missed out on the 3DS entries. Won't male that mistake again.

Nintendo trying to make me go broke this year apparently.

Firebrand

Yesss. So bought, dpad is the way I prefer to play anyway.

Price is a bit on the high side though compared to 3DS entries, if 300 is standard + mega puzzles added together.

gaiages

Banned
Oooo I'll have to buy this, even though I'm still working through Paint It Back and the Picross e games, heh. I only discovered how much I love these puzzle games recently :p

You're killing me, Jupiter. I love Picross, but you're killing me, Jupiter.

Where is a new Pokémon Pinball? Where is TWEWY 2? You've done Picross to death now, it's time for a resurgence of other games we desperately want back.

This is how I feel whenever a new one is announced lol

bigkrev

There's no universe where using the d-pad is faster than using a stylus in Picross.

I'm SIGNIFICANTLY less likely to fuck up and miss-mark a square when using the Dpad vs using a stylus.
I couldn't play Paint in Back for more than 30 minutes because I hated having to use a touch interface, having to move my finger off the play field to switch from filling to marking.

I'm SIGNIFICANTLY less likely to fuck up and miss-mark a square when using the Dpad vs using a stylus.
I couldn't play Paint in Back for more than 30 minutes because I hated having to use a touch interface, having to move my finger off the play field to switch from filling to marking.

I haven't played Paint it Black, but in Picross you use the D-pad and the stylus together. Hold D-pad up to fill, down to X; your stylus doesn't go anywhere except poking around the play field.

So in, at the end of the day, these are the titles I played the most in the DS and 3DS lol.

Wonder how a Picross 3D would work on the switch.

BTA

If you're playing on a phone, you can set it to use a virtual d-pad.

I ended up liking that mode a lot for the same reasons. Plus I was playing on the subway a lot and so a way to play one handed while grabbing onto a handle was helpful.

My only interaction with "regular" Picross games (so not 3D) on a Nintendo handheld is actually the Twilight Princess Picross but I will say I liked PIB's puzzle style better.

Top Bottom