• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jupiter announces Picross S for Switch (release: September 28)

Brakke

Banned
Honestly can’t stand touch controls for Picross. Played every single Picross e and I was so lightning-fast by the end that touch slows me down. Need button presses to subconsciously count squares.

Nah, man. Try the dpad, it's way better. Like, substantially so.

I legit don't understand how so many people in this thread can think this. I mean, I've tried button controls. I played through the whole of Mario's Picross that way because it didn't have the option of using the stylus. It's fine, but it is so much slower than stylus controls. Not even in the same league. Steering a cursor around by hammering the D-pad is always going to be slower than just poking the screen exactly where you want. Imagine if you had to control your mouse cursor with the arrow keys.

ChrisD

I'm a stylus control person, and I literally JUST bought Picross E2 (after finally finishing E1 100% a few months ago). E lasted me for... Three and a half years, I think. So even if E2 lasts a significantly shorter time.. I still won't need another Picross until like.. 2020.

Really cool for Switch, though. I'll nab it come 2050. :p

Honestly can’t stand touch controls for Picross. Played every single Picross e and I was so lightning-fast by the end that touch slows me down. Need button presses to subconsciously count squares.

I count them through sound, and/or relation to the graph lines.

3rdEdge

I legit don't understand how so many people in this thread can think this. I mean, I've tried button controls. I played through the whole of Mario's Picross that way because it didn't have the option of using the stylus. It's fine, but it is so much slower than stylus controls. Not even in the same league. Steering a cursor around by hammering the D-pad is always going to be slower than just poking the screen exactly where you want. Imagine if you had to control your mouse cursor with the arrow keys.

For me, too many times using stylus controls I've tapped a specific square only for the game to register it as one of the other adjacent squares instead, which would lead to a penalty. Or I'd go to fill in a row and because my hand moved a millimeter the game would again start filling in an adjacent row instead, creating more penalties. And that was with the DS stylus, which has a narrower tip than the typical capacitive stylus you'd need for the Switch. I don't have that issue with D-Pad + buttons, and I can move around quickly enough. In my case it's like typing with a keyboard vs. typing with a smart phone or tablet - sure you can get the job done on the phone/tablet, but the keyboard is a lot more accurate.

But if stylus controls are better for you, awesome! As long as we're all having fun, fill in those pesky squares however you want! So even though I wouldn't be using them, I do hope there is a touch control option for all the stylus lovers out there. Anyway, I've played and enjoyed every Picross game that's been available in the west, so I'm super excited that the series is coming to Switch! Day Zero, shut up and take my money, right into my veins, my body is Reggie, all the memes.

BTA

I feel like I'm faster with button controls but also more accurate. I don't really see a need to use a stylus.

I will say, regarding counting squares: I really really hate playing with penalties. Starting with PIB was probably a mistake because it let me actually calculate the overlap of possibilities by counting them out by actually marking and unmasking squares.

I honestly got kinda Picross'd out with the 3DS.

I only own maybe 2 of the Picross-e games and Picross 3D 2, but I don't think I've beaten any of them.

Picross DS was one if my favorite games for that system and Picross 3D was awesome too, but I think I got most of my fill of it on the DS. (it helps that the DS Lite is a lot less heavy than any 3DS, which makes it easier to play for long stretches IMO).

nynt9

Paint it Back > Any 3DS Picross.

This includes both controls and board size (hell and presentation I'd argue). You are not taking in to account the phones can use stylus too also and run in like 10x the resolution of the 3DS so you have an actual usable zoom feature.

Conceptis pick-a-pix solves this problem too by having a draggable cursor so your finger is never covering anything. As in wherever you swipe on the screen the cursor will move according to the relative motion of your hand, so your finger doesn’t need to be on it. It’s pretty great.

As for this, I’d rather have picross 3D. Going back to 2D feels plain afterwards.

Firebrand

Looks like about same amount of puzzles as in the e versions? 150 puzzles that can be played in either normal or mega mode (best mode).

You can buy it already on the japanese eshop if I recall. Should have all languages if the eshop page is accurate.
yup. I bought it on the JP e-shop and the game's in english because of system language settings.

Looks like about same amount of puzzles as in the e versions? 150 puzzles that can be played in either normal or mega mode (best mode).

Yup. 15 * 10 pages. The completed image of the normal/mega are the same (at least for the first two I checked)

--
No touch controls :(

Shiggy

With no Micross it looks like there are less puzzles available than before.

No touch controls is pretty lame.

octopiggy

yup. I bought it on the JP e-shop and the game's in english because of system language settings.

Yup. 15 * 10 pages. The completed image of the normal/mega are the same (at least for the first two I checked)

--
No touch controls :(

Does the game track whether you completed the puzzles in normal or mega?

Hopefully touch controls will come in S2.

Do you need to set up another account to buy from the jp eshop?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you turn the penalties off? I’d rather paint myself into a corner than be told I made a mistake immediately

Does the game track whether you completed the puzzles in normal or mega?

Hopefully touch controls will come in S2.

They're separate, just like in the e series. This is what the menu looks like.
8rC8CXR.jpg

You do need to set up a Japanese NNID (or is it nintendo network?) account to access the JP store. You can get it on Amazon JP too, but currently the game's not up yet.

Can you turn the penalties off? I'd rather paint myself into a corner than be told I made a mistake immediately

Yup. Options > Turn off Autocorrect Mistakes.

galvatron

Instant buy even though I'll put it down for Cuphead the following day. I love having these for plane trips, but I hope I don't miss the stylus too much...

Shahadan

It's not mandatory but preferable. Otherwise you can just switch your country on the nintendo account website with your regular account but your card probably won't work and you'll need to buy jp eshop cards. Last time I checked they didn't let you switch countries back if you had money left over. Maybe this has changed, don't think so, but this is why people usually have a separate account for some countries.

deadfolk

Why do they put timers on these games?

Games like this should be chill. If I see a timer ticking up or down, I ain't gonna be chillin.

Why do they put timers on these games?

Games like this should be chill. If I see a timer ticking up or down, I ain't gonna be chillin.

I think it starts penalizing you at the 1 hr mark (in e-series anyway), so it's pretty chill in general. You can completely ignore it if you want. It's mostly so you can best your own times on your second+ runs. Oh, speaking of which, you can also delete records for each puzzle now as well.

---
There are 3 BGM tracks to choose from.

deadfolk

I think it starts penalizing you at the 1 hr mark (in e-series anyway), so it's pretty chill in general. You can completely ignore it if you want. It's mostly so you can best your own times on your second+ runs. Oh, speaking of which, you can also delete records for each puzzle now as well.

---
There are 3 BGM tracks to choose from.

That's not the worst, I guess, but it's a psychological thing. The ticking clock I can do without.

moeman

Haven't played a Picross game since Picross DS and this one looks just as meaty for only $8. I'm definitely grabbing this!

Knurek

Haven't played a Picross game since Picross DS and this one looks just as meaty for only $8. I'm definitely grabbing this!

If it's anything like the e series, it's nowhere near as meaty as Picross DS.
Even if you count the Mega Picross (which I personally hate) and don't count all the free DLC Picross DS had, we're still talking about 1/3rd of the content per game.

moeman

If it's anything like the e series, it's nowhere near as meaty as Picross DS.
Even if you count the Mega Picross (which I personally hate) and don't count all the free DLC Picross DS had, we're still talking about 1/3rd of the content per game.

Bummer. It's still only $8 though which isn't a bad price for some picross!

goldenpp72

Does this game allow touch controls? I bought a stylus for it thinking it would but I guess I haven't seen that confirmed.

neoemonk

My first and only Picross game was Twilight Princess Picross, but that's how I found out I loved it. I'm buying Golf Story first but definitely picking this up too.

ryushe

Honestly, no touch means it's a pass for me.

Really wanted to play this tablet only like the other picross-lite game released a few weeks ago, but alas.

Tunoku

Touch controls are for casuals!

Bummer for the people that like the touch controls, I imagine it’s because of being consitent with both TV and HH mode.

Dremorak

Banned
Touch controls are for casuals!

Bummer for the people that like the touch controls, I imagine it’s because of being consitent with both TV and HH mode.

There are totally games that have different controls depending on tv vs handheld

No touch no buy for me. What are they thinking? Their last, what, ten Picross games have had both options, and now they suddenly drop stylus controls.

Top Bottom