• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jupiter announces Picross S for Switch (release: September 28)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Omfg

I would have been ecstatic about a 3D round 3, but who cares, it's a fresh new Picross Switch!

ghibli99

Another buy. Stop it with all these games pls...

And yeah, 20x15 is good enough for me. I find the big ones more tedious vs. the very smartly designed smaller ones.

Chris R

Eh. Bigger doesnt mean better with Picross. Just more counting. They are a nice novelty though in small amounts.

I play Picross for the challenge. It's hard for me to enjoy anything smaller than 15x15 because there is zero effort in trying to solve it.

Paint It Back does offer a solution if you don't enjoy large puzzles, just select the easier difficulty option, and it breaks it down into smaller 10x10 puzzles for example, you just solve those bit by bit to build up to the completed image.

evanmisha

This is gonna be the game that makes me hate the pro controller's dpad, isn't it.

Edit: Never realized so many people used touch controls. Blech

Kalor

I was just wondering about this. I couldn't get used to the stylus controls so having to use buttons won't change anything.

depward

Oh god.

In all of the Switch love I've had in the past six months or whatever, I haven't thought about all of the Picross games I had and enjoyed on the 3DS.

But it makes sense. It makes so much sense.

Mikey Jr.

Thank God it's not 3d.

Having said that, the ds one I adore because at the end of each puzzle, they would animate. They stopped doing that.

Why?

octopiggy

I play Picross for the challenge. It's hard for me to enjoy anything smaller than 15x15 because there is zero effort in trying to solve it.

Paint It Back does offer a solution if you don't enjoy large puzzles, just select the easier difficulty option, and it breaks it down into smaller 10x10 puzzles for example, you just solve those bit by bit to build up to the completed image.

Big doesn't necessarily mean hard and small doesn't always mean easy though.

Thank God it's not 3d.

Having said that, the ds one I adore because at the end of each puzzle, they would animate. They stopped doing that.

Why?

Probably because it's a budget title.

Schlomo

Nice, but I wonder if I'll ever need another Picross after buying Gameboy Picross 2 on Japanese 3DS VC. It has an incredible amount of puzzles since every puzzle is made up of 4 15x15 pictures. Compared to the Picross e series it also has much better image topics with some hilarious pictures.

bigkrev

20x15? Boo. At least paint it black had a few 40x40 puzzles and worked great with a controller.

Eh. Bigger doesnt mean better with Picross. Just more counting. They are a nice novelty though in small amounts.

Yeah. I think 15 x 15 is perfect for Picross- Mario's Picross 2 got hellishly difficult towards the end of the Wario puzzles, and never got larger than 15 x 15 (though each Puzzle was 1/4th of a larger puzzle)

steveovig

Nice, but I wonder if I'll ever need another Picross after buying Gameboy Picross 2 on Japanese 3DS VC. It has an incredible amount of puzzles since every puzzle is made up of 4 15x15 pictures. Compared to the Picross e series it also has much better image topics with some hilarious pictures.

Can you buy that on an NA 3DS?

Chibot

I love this, but I still haven't even made my way through all of Picross DS. I just got into the game last year and have been making my way through all of the Nintendo picross titles from Gameboy to SNES to 3DS.

It'll be nice to have a 2P option this time.

oti

Banned
They should totally offer some Christmas DLC in December. Christmas motives, music, colours. Sounds quite relaxing to solve a puzzle in coop like that.

Kremzeek

OK this shall be insta-bought!

i had like 3 of the Picross games on 3DS.

so...... Culdcept Switch incoming when?.....

steveovig

Sadly, no. The cart is under $10 and boxed copies are around $20 on eBay if you have a GBA SP somewhere!

Nice but does it work on the GB Player?

EDIT:N/M since apparently it will! I'll have to check ebay for a cart. Besides Pokemon Picross, it's probably the only Picross game I haven't put much, if any, time into.

I love 3D Round 2, it's my most played 3DS game, but never played any 2D Picross. Judging by the response, seems like I should be excited about this, no?

Msyjsm

The superior way, with more accuracy and speed on the d-pad.

Uh...by "more", do you mean "less"? Unless you have incredible reflexes and your d-pad scroll speed is set to an insanely high rate, stylus will always be better.

Do you draw better with a pen, or by using a claw machine holding a pen? That's essentially (with a lot of hyperbole on my part, to be fair) what you're arguing.

Day fucking one.

I've been in love with Picross since my senior year in high school. Mario Picross and Picross 2 was my shit in philosophy classes, can't wait for the switch version.

Thud

I love 3D Round 2, it's my most played 3DS game, but never played any 2D Picross. Judging by the response, seems like I should be excited about this, no?

2D picross is a lot simpler. You have one color and they try to stick with regular rules.

No circle or square numbers. However the grids are a bit larger so you can have lots of numbers on one line.

Uh...by "more", do you mean "less"? Unless you have incredible reflexes and your d-pad scroll speed is set to an insanely high rate, stylus will always be better.

Do you draw better with a pen, or by using a claw machine holding a pen? That's essentially (with a lot of hyperbole on my part, to be fair) what you're arguing.

No hyperbole detected. If you're using dpad and buttons you're doing it wrong.

This announcement is relevant to my interests.

Well, I'm now considering buying a capacitive stylus for use with the Switch. Would just need one with a fine enough point... I love Picross but can't imagine playing it with the D-Pad, though I suppose fingers could work if the box sizes are big enough to make them easy enough to touch.

tsundoku

The Dpad and buttons is both objectively the correct way to play the game and a horrible mistake.
As soon as you stop taking forever to finish puzzles you rapidly crush everything that isnt 20x15 and you realize just how boring 20x15 are. And then you have nothing.

Potential icon?

picrossS_pkg.jpg

http://www.jupiter.co.jp/product/game/switch/picrossS.html

Wtf this is such a quality stealth release. Love Picross.

Picross e series always did stealth releases, so no surprises there.

Nintendo JP Site.
https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000000879

There are a couple of new screens. The options screen 'Controls during Puzzle" section does not mention touch (as expected), and you can choose cursor speed and whether the cursor "loops". Speculation: I suppose the loop allows you to click right on the right most column and end up at the left most column or sth. There is a controller settings tab on the bottom bar, maybe it's for syncing 2P?.

*Still can't get over how good looking the banner/potential icon is, and the fact that the game is coming out so soon.

Dryk

The DS and 3DS were the perfect platforms for Picross so this announcement is a little bittersweet. End of an era.

Paint it Back > Any 3DS Picross.

This includes both controls and board size (hell and presentation I'd argue). You are not taking in to account the phones can use stylus too also and run in like 10x the resolution of the 3DS so you have an actual usable zoom feature.
Paint it Back would be perfect if you had buttons to switch between marks like you do on the DS games. Other than that it's the best there is.

BTA

Paint it Back has too much dialogue in it. Just shut up and get to the puzzles. Let me skip tutorials, too

...did they add more dialogue to it?

I played it on my phone last year and I can't think of anything beyond the very start.

Top Bottom