• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT2| Taking Off the Training Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

hT4Vv.gif

Rainbow pretending to be on a rollercoaster

msJa9.gif
TpDow.gif
1n7IT.gif

5vXDz.gif
3REhn.gif
dEA5M.gif
7MmRh.gif

Ranvier

This was never meant to be a vacation.

How long are the Kpop slave contracts again. Like 10 years? I'm sure all those girls have more than enough in the bank to live off of for the rest of the lives if they invest properly.

The only person I know who got out was that one dude from Super Junior. But didn't he have to sell his soul to the Cpop gods in order to do so? Lesser evil I guess.

FYD0J.jpg

Diablo 3 Hyo. You guys have no idea how much I'd pay to see that happen.

Body is 100% accurate

magenta

Wasn't T-ara in Europe to help direct a photo shoot for a new group? I was under the impression that it was no vacation at all.

vanty

lololololololol

The Super Junior concert in Sydney has been cancelled because of low ticket sales.

Even SNSD might struggle to sell out a reasonably big venue in Australia on their own. A truly stupid idea from the promoters.

Wasn't T-ara in Europe to help direct a photo shoot for a new group? I was under the impression that it was no vacation at all.

Half of Hyomin's tweets have been her with a Nikon D800, with a branded strap conveniently on display. Definitely seems like they're doing Nikon promotions.

Peru

Everybody should auto-post this link when someone makes a lame anti-kpop thread http://occupiedterritories.tumblr.com/post/20917378611/pop-utopianism-and-its-discontents

lololololololol

The Super Junior concert in Sydney has been cancelled because of low ticket sales.

Even SNSD might struggle to sell out a reasonably big venue in Australia on their own. A truly stupid idea from the promoters.

Hah. SuJu are huge in some Asian countries and ELFs are loud, but they're really not appealing to newcomers to k-pop. I'd say their mainstream fanbase is in solid decline. They look daft and have hammered the same sound for years now. Would like to see SNSD try it..

DXPett1

Good. Seriously I think the best thing for KPOP in Australia is to continue with multi artist concert/festivals like the previous KPopFest. You hook the people in with one artists and expose them to many more

The official version of events is that Hyomin and Eunjung are assistants to the photographer of the new girl group's promo photos/videos. The other members of T-ara are on vacation but also have to regularly update their twitter with photos.

33rq5.jpg

Poor Super Junior. I don't think that either of SM's larger groups SJ or SNSD will break through to the mainstream. There are just too many members for the public to relate to.

It's also a bad time for SJ in Australia when One Direction has hit big over there. How can they compete with this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFQfczv7U4w&t=0m45s

Peru

Good. Seriously I think the best thing for KPOP in Australia is to continue with multi artist concert/festivals like the previous KPopFest. You hook the people in with one artists and expose them to many more

Maybe business-wise.. if I was attending concerts, not so much. There's always something rushed about the performances on those multi-artist nights, like it's just a cheap weekly TV show. I'd much rather see three hours of only SNSD with real production values and unique content.

Ranvier

It only proves that a boy band can make it big in the west. A Shinee or Big Bang, for example.

Tweens in the west need to be serenaded in perfect English. A thing which Kpop groups severely lack. It's not enough to simply look good. They need to know the guy understands their soul. Plus it really depends on what your definition of "make it" is. There are no way kpop groups will ever be popular with 20 year olds. The best chance is the 10-16 TeenNick group.

Girl groups have the best chance to make it. While they will never get to "Legion" status like Biebs or the likes of Backstreet Boys/Nsync, I feel like they can get to mid-tier popularity. Guys will care less about the accents/turrible ayego cus they are hot and if the song is poppy enough the girls will come as well.

SNSD needs a comical pop song about a girl-getting-revenge-on-a-boy-that-has spurned-her or visa versa. Something in the same vein as LFO's "summer girls." A song ripe with popculture references and empowerment with clever one liners girls can drop in American History to put down a boy they secretly like.

For example, LFO had the line "I like girls that wear Abercrombie and Fitch"

A girl in my 11th Grade English class turned it around to "Talia, boys don't like girls that wear Ambercrombie and bitch" I kid you not.
though I'm sad to say, I thought it was pretty clever at the time.

Shit like "the boys" doesn't work with the tween demographic. Something like SuJu's No Other would be a hit here if they could deliver it in perfect english. That is the key.

Ugh, I just remembered another terrible song that was popular with the tween girls when I was in middle school. "U + me = us(calculus)'

tumblr_m1en2moZW71qkolxgo1_250.gif
tumblr_m1en2moZW71qkolxgo2_250.gif
tumblr_m1en2moZW71qkolxgo3_250.gif

I went to a terrible school district

tumblr_l31q8avhJe1qzrfxuo1_500_large.jpg

I need to go wash out my brain with some epik high.

Peru

Tweens in the west need to be serenaded in perfect English. A thing which Kpop groups severely lack. It's not enough to simply look good. They need to know the guy understands their soul. Plus it really depends on what your definition of "make it" is. There are no way kpop groups will ever be popular with 20 year olds. The best chance is the 10-16 TeenNick group.

Girl groups have the best chance to make it. While they will never get to "Legion" status like Biebs or the likes of Backstreet Boys/Nsync, I feel like they can get to mid-tier popularity. Guys will care less about the accents/turrible ayego cus they are hot and if the song is poppy enough the girls will come as well.

SNSD needs a comical pop song about a girl-getting-revenge-on-a-boy-that-has spurned-her or visa versa. Something in the same vein as LFO's "summer girls." A song ripe with popculture references and empowerment with clever one liners girls can drop in American History to put down a boy they secretly like.

Nah. "Mr Saxobeat" became a worldwide hit with Alexandra Stan's muddy accent intact. There are several other examples of that. But I think the Big Bang boys could convincingly deliver soul-capturing lyrics in English - hell Pixie Lott, a minor artist admittedly, is releasing her collab with GD&TOP as the next international single (and their English there is great). Plus Big Bang would come off more as a "Far East Movement" type group than a boy band, thus potentially capturing the interest of 20s and 30s girls and boys. Shinee would probably be more about the tween girls, though.

The kinds of songs that become hits are a lot more varied than what you present there.

LOEN (IU) TV is back! http://youtu.be/CScG1UxY9DI

Peru

Lee Hyori, tearing down the k-pop bullshit one cliche at a time

On the April 12th broadcast of Lee Hyori‘s OnStyle reality show, ‘Golden 12‘, the singer and “social-tainer” dropped some insight into her personal dating style.

While shopping for interior items with Jang Bum Joon, the Busker Busker member gave her an impromptu performance in the car. After explaining that the song was about a man who had been too forward with his skinship, he went on to sing, “Please just wait for me a bit more.”

Hyori commented on the song, “Don’t you think those feelings are a bit too immature, though? Wait for what, exactly? How old am I.. I’m turning 34 soon. I don’t think that way at all. I get really frutsrated when the man doesn’t rush things.”

vanty

iSUBS RM85 (Big Bang pt2) is out.

Anyway what's this about? Google Translate is super dodge with Korean but makes it seem like she's upset about two people (new members?) or something. But surely she wouldn't be that public with her disappointment about the whole thing, so I'm assuming she's talking about something different entirely.

Alta1r

Maybe after a game of dota, idk yet. So like.. 90 mins from now, probably.

Damnit, I can't believe I missed both plays of BTOB - Insane! Still, it was crazy seeing Sal, Dice and Peru in there at the same time. OC, your stream is the new hot fire. And Dice, despite (and because of) our different tastes in more or less everything, I still maintain that we'd make great wingmen for each other for that kpopgaf Korea reunion, lol.

In other news, I finally found tickets for the 100 section for the SMTown LA concert. ... For $905 O_O . Anyone know any good second hand ticket sites besides StubHub and eBay?

tumblr_m2f8eylCNf1rpnu77o1_250.gif
tumblr_m2f8eylCNf1rpnu77o2_250.gif

tumblr_m2f8eylCNf1rpnu77o3_250.gif
tumblr_m2f8eylCNf1rpnu77o4_250.gif

@_@

Alta1r

Ugh, I just remembered another terrible song that was popular with the tween girls when I was in middle school. "U + me = us(calculus)'

LOL. I remember this. Sadly enough.

tumblr_m2f58k4bgF1r0n3s1o1_500.gif

Nah. "Mr Saxobeat" became a worldwide hit with Alexandra Stan's muddy accent intact. There are several other examples of that. But I think the Big Bang boys could convincingly deliver soul-capturing lyrics in English - hell Pixie Lott, a minor artist admittedly, is releasing her collab with GD&TOP as the next international single (and their English there is great). Plus Big Bang would come off more as a "Far East Movement" type group than a boy band, thus potentially capturing the interest of 20s and 30s girls and boys. Shinee would probably be more about the tween girls, though.

The kinds of songs that become hits are a lot more varied than what you present there.

Yeah I think a variety of sounds could work. They gotta drop any sort of Engrish accent though. As multicultural as the US is (census wise), I feel like there's still a strong bias against non-European/non-African accents.

Miss A's Min with Lenny Kravitz
CjLfa.jpg

Was there a kpop song with Lenny Kravitz in the MV? I swear I remember seeing something with Lenny Kravitz in the beginning and end encouraging the girls to go sing or something. Gahh, it's right on the tip of my tongue but I can't figure it out.

ryan-ts

Damnit, I can't believe I missed both plays of BTOB - Insane! Still, it was crazy seeing Sal, Dice and Peru in there at the same time. OC, your stream is the new hot fire

Yeah the stream was great last night, I ended up falling asleep though. Next time I need to get some caffeinated beverages while I watch.

Biscuits

They all look super good in this. Someone needs to gif the group scene.

Yeah I think a variety of sounds could work. They gotta drop any sort of Engrish accent though. As multicultural as the US is (census wise), I feel like there's still a strong bias against non-European/non-African accents.
Even though none of Big Bang are fluent in English, it does seem like GD as a passable accent down.

Peru

(In reply to loen_artist's LOEN TV tweet)

IU: 저기여 로엔님
IU: Hey LOEN

IU: 로엔티비 왜 이렇게 짧아요
IU: Why is LOEN TV so short?

IU: 2년동안 많은 것이 변했는데 왜 로엔티비 화질은 그대로인가
IU: Many things have changed in the last two years but why is the LOEN TV video quality still the same?

IU: 제가 캠코더좀 좋은 걸로 바꾸자고 했어요~안했어요~
IU: I said let's change to a better camcorder~ Didn't I~

loen_artist: 헐..아이유님 더 많은 분량, 더 좋은 화질로 찾아뵐 것을 약속드리며~ 화질은 720p로 설정하시면 조..조금 더 좋은 화..화질로.. 더욱 노력하는 로엔티비되겠습니돠!! 로엔티비 RT좀..(굽신)
loen_artist: Gosh.. We promise to give you more airtime and a better quality video~ If you set the quality to 720p, the qua..quality is sligh..slightly better.. LOEN TV will work even harder!! LOEN TV RT please..(asking for forgiveness)

Riverfield

Neo Member
Even though none of Big Bang are fluent in English, it does seem like GD as a passable accent down.

WHATTAP WHATTAP

loen_artist: 헐..아이유님 더 많은 분량, 더 좋은 화질로 찾아뵐 것을 약속드리며~ 화질은 720p로 설정하시면 조..조금 더 좋은 화..화질로.. 더욱 노력하는 로엔티비되겠습니돠!! 로엔티비 RT좀..(굽신)
loen_artist: Gosh.. We promise to give you more airtime and a better quality video~ If you set the quality to 720p, the qua..quality is sligh..slightly better.. LOEN TV will work even harder!! LOEN TV RT please..(asking for forgiveness)

What's with all that trying to be cute shit?

Here's some actual cute:
iRCQLh5EZDc17.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8d54P3In8U

Don't know if it's been posted - MC Sniper's new video. New album is epic.

Damn, that's catchy as shit. Yiruma's composition really cute. Didn't really get into the song on his previous mv, but this is awesome.

lololololololol

That's HILARIOUS.

They should just stay in Korea and stop pretending anybody likes them apart from the odd overweight female netizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom