• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye booed at Thanksgiving Day Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDylan

Kanye has done so much to get where he is. He is one of the best artists out there and catches shit constantly for it. He has the right to have such a big ego because he deserves it. why at this point would kanye care what so ever about people hating on him. he doesnt and thats what makes him the man. one real mutha fucka

Kusagari

Yeef said:
Kanye is not just a douchebag, but he's also arrogant AND an attention whore. If he's going to find every opportunity to claim that he's a genius on camera it's silly to expect people not to call him on it if they disagree.

I'm fine with people disliking his persona. I can completely understand that. It's the absolute hatred he inspires from some when the worst he's done is hurt a woman's feelings. Talk to some people and you'd think Kanye raped her and then gloated about it on twitter.

Kibbles

enzo_gt said:
We do because we don't roll with what the media wants us to believe. We also are much less ignorant that the other side, because every single one of us is past the Taylor Swift thing because everybody god damn knew it was wrong a while ago and people still have that moment burnt into the inside of their eyelids apparently.

Part of KanyeGAF still thinks he's an immense douche, and rightly so because they justify it in their particular way unlike some in this thread. KanyeGAF unites under his music. And this last album is one hell of a comeback.

Like this. This is a justified reason to dislike his persona, because there is merit to these arguments as he is pretty damn opinionated. But you say tomato, I say tomahto. Blindly saying he's a douchebag isn't hard to do really.

I think the media is really the only one holding onto the VMA 2009 thing. The 2010 VMAs was beyond retarded with all the jokes and cheesy flashbacks and references to it. Everyone else including the artists and fans on both sides seems to be sick of it. Taylor's first interview she ended an interview because she told the guy it wasn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be and that she just wanted to move on and talk about something else. That's been her stance and she really hasn't wanted to comment on it since, just put it behind her and move on. (As for the forgiveness song, she wrote it not too long after the incident and it got released with her new album, so yeah. They thought it was right to perform it at the place the hate originated from, but I think she should've just performed her single at the time, but whatever.) I'm not saying she's a saint either, she could've talked out about it for a while before just avoiding the question, but that's what she does. If she's uncomfortable with something she addresses it once and just wants to move on from then out.

I can see where anyone can be frustrated about it, but all the comparisons now between them are so stupid. Their music is not related at all and it makes no sense to compare them >_> People just go back to the fabricated Kanye vs Taylor thing and use it compare them on everything they do, just so stupid...

All of the lights isn't even a good song, it's overproduced garbage! The only song I really like from the album is So Appalled, if RZA got more air time and Swizz had less (about 0 to be exact) it would be perfect.

Lunchbox

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
All of the lights isn't even a good song, it's overproduced garbage! The only song I really like from the album is So Appalled, if RZA got more air time and Swizz had less (about 0 to be exact) it would be perfect.
hell of a life is a remix of black sabath's iron man. automatically the best song

Yeef

Equus Bellator Apex said:
How come Kanye is in the only rapper in the history of the world to be criticized for being arrogant?
Well, he isn't, for one.

More importantly, being arrogant in your music and lyrics is one thing (and a big part of hip hop) and being arrogant during interviews and other media appearances is a different beast altogether. Another part of it is that there's a lot more media saturation these days with the web so all of his actions are magnified that much more.

How come Kanye is in the only rapper in the history of the world to be criticized for being arrogant?
because he offended someone on stage. and she was pretty and white and innocent.

that'll get you the wrath 99/100.
Yeef said:
Well, he isn't, for one.

More importantly, being arrogant in your music and lyrics is one thing (and a big part of hip hop) and being arrogant during interviews and other media appearances is a different beast altogether. Another part of it is that there's a lot more media saturation these days with the web so all of his actions are magnified that much more.
oh, so you're saying you prefer *ACTORS*.

People who act one way in music and another in real life? That's just bizarre, bi-polar shit right there you want out of people. he is who he is. if he didn't act like he does he wouldn't have become as successful as he has. and generally, it's a defense mechanism. he's said so in his music.

Kanye the person is pretty dumb, and egotistical, and out of his mind.

But Kanye the musicmaker is pretty awesome, certainly the most interesting guy making mega-selling pop music, and the booing and Taylor-defending creeps me out. I don't understand how people get that invested in street-teaming one side or the other.

Lunchbox

Banned
if Run dmc took a shit on Britney spears in her prime, they would get heat from the same people and sources too

cant make fun pretty princesses and not suffer the wrath

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kibbles said:
I think the media is really the only one holding onto the VMA 2009 thing. The 2010 VMAs was beyond retarded with all the jokes and cheesy flashbacks and references to it. Everyone else including the artists and fans on both sides seems to be sick of it. Taylor's first interview she ended an interview because she told the guy it wasn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be and that she just wanted to move on and talk about something else. That's been her stance and she really hasn't wanted to comment on it since, just put it behind her and move on. (As for the forgiveness song, she wrote it not too long after the incident and it got released with her new album, so yeah. They thought it was right to perform it at the place the hate originated from, but I think she should've just performed her single at the time, but whatever.) I'm not saying she's a saint either, she could've talked out about it for a while before just avoiding the question, but that's what she does. If she's uncomfortable with something she addresses it once and just wants to move on from then out.

I can see where anyone can be frustrated about it, but all the comparisons now between them are so stupid. Their music is not related at all and it makes no sense to compare them >_> People just go back to the fabricated Kanye vs Taylor thing and use it compare them on everything they do, just so stupid...
There's a pretty big crossover of Kanye and Taylor swift fans too. They should have just done a fucking song together and made up for it. Instead, Kanye refused to sit in the audience during Taylor's performance, and Taylor had to use this track again to refuel flames, especially at a crucial moment of Kanye's comeback: when he came back to perform Runaway. It is all media hooplah that shouldn't be there. Taylor Swift wants to get away from it as far as possible, and Ye does too. Media is tying that together. I can't knock Taylor for avoiding it, but I do take issue with her saying she defending Ye in grocery stores instead of defending him publicly. Only another catalyst to the issue.

Shake Appeal said:
Kanye the person is pretty dumb, and egotistical, and out of his mind.
I agree with the last two, but dude isn't dumb. One of the biggest risks Jay-Z took for Roc-a-fella was signing Kanye West. Even Jay didn't know Kanye's potential, and Ye did everything in his power to get to where he is.

andymcc said:
they probably get pussy while he doesn't.
Kanye fans don't need your pussy, bitch, they're on their own dick.

Yeef

Dreams-Visions said:
oh, so you're saying you prefer *ACTORS*.

People who act one way in music and another in real life? That's just bizarre, bi-polar shit right there you want out of people. he is who he is. if he didn't act like he does he wouldn't have become as successful as he has. and generally, it's a defense mechanism. he's said so in his music.
I don't 'prefer' anything. The whole point of this thread is an inquiry into why public perception of Kanye West is what it is. It's fairly obvious that people who don't listen to his music are going to have their view of him painted by what he does when he's in front of the camera.

I don't know that I would call acting one way during an interview and another on a track 'acting.' Much the same way you might speak differently in the company of your mother than you do in the company of your friends doesn't mean you're being 'phony' when you're either. It's just a natural (and often subconscious) part of social interaction. I don't see anything wrong with people finding it disquieting to think that Kanye either lacks that ability or actively fights against it.

Dreams-Visions said:
He is not a smart guy. He has been known to say incredibly ignorant, ill-informed, and misguided things. He is often inarticulate. He expresses himself poorly through written communication, and he has a shallow and selfish understanding of many, many things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, at all; MBDTF is top three or four of the year for me. I think he's probably the most interesting mainstream pop musician of the last decade.

But he's also kinda a moron.

Eminem insults Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and countless other teen starlets on record and on stage - even while at the same awards shows they're at. Eminem is cool.

Kanye West harmlessly interrupts Taylor Swift. Kanye West should be destroyed.

THIS IS OKAY

Michael Vick kills animals, goes to jail, wins football games - all is forgiven, and he gets TV shows following his "redemption".

Kanye West interrupts Taylor Swift, apologizes, records epic album and gives away tons of his music for free. Kanye West should be destroyed.

THIS IS OKAY

Jay-Z calls himself God on records, like every rapper who ever lived; we throw the diamond up.

Kanye West brags on records. Kanye West is the most arrogant douche ever.

THIS IS OKAY

Raistlin said:
Is Dreams-Visions Astroladding us?
not sure. define the term. I'm certainly not trolling, if that's what you're asking.

Listen man, people can feel free to hate on Kanye all they want. It doesn't change the scope of his cultural impact, quality of his music (now with two 5-star albums @ Rolling Stone) and critical acclaim, musical brilliance, work ethic, honesty in his music and in interviews. It doesn't change the fact that his new album is exceptional in lyrical content and production value. It doesn't change the fact that he's sold millions upon millions of albums and has received enough awards to fill your living room.

But it's so tired to just be upset with someone as though they offended you personally for years upon years. Why not move on? Most of the haters don't like rap music anyway, so it provides a convenient excuse to attack the art form without giving up the feigned appreciation for rap. Don't like it, don't buy. He'll continue to be appreciated for his talents and his honesty. And as he said, every superhero needs his theme music. So keep on screamin.

Shake Appeal said:
He is not a smart guy. He has been known to say incredibly ignorant, ill-informed, and misguided things. He is often inarticulate. He expresses himself poorly through written communication, and he has a shallow and selfish understanding of many, many things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, at all; MBDTF is top three or four of the year for me. I think he's probably the most interesting mainstream pop musician of the last decade.

But he's also kinda a moron.
I've no comeback to this, as I don't know him from adam and I don't want to. :lol

Lunchbox

Banned
captmcblack said:
Eminem insults Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and countless other teen starlets on record and on stage - even while at the same awards shows they're at. Eminem is cool.

THIS IS OKAY

one is vanilla the other is chocolate

captmcblack said:
THIS IS OKAY

Jay-Z calls himself God on records, like every rapper who ever lived; we throw the diamond up.

Kanye West brags on records. Kanye West is the most arrogant douche ever.

THIS IS OKAY

Lets be real with this one, Kanye did do a photo shoot where he was portraying Jesus about to be crucified. That's a step up from "bragging".

I wonder if he gets so much hate because of his ability to set trends. They see his style all over pop culture so it's bound to get people a little sick of him, even if it is misguided.

Yeef

captmcblack said:

THIS IS OKAY
I'm not sure if you're joking. Eminem got TONS of backlash. In fact, I'd say that after his first album most of his musical career has been centered around the various controversies he's invited (and goading more).

Expendable. said:
At the end of the day, goddammit, I'm killing this shit. I know damn well GAF feelin' this shit.

sorry, is that english?
Also, there's no use "hating" that Kanye's music is arrogant or egotistical. This attitude or persona is what people want. It sells.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Yeef said:
I'm not sure if you're joking. Eminem got TONS of backlash. In fact, I'd say that after his first album most of his musical career has been centered around the various controversies he's invited (and goading more).
I'd say Em's caught more heat for homophobic slurs than he has for ragging on Carson Daly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom