• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West's Yeezus has aged like fine wine.

entremet

To be honest, I wasn't too keen on this album on release after a few spins.

I moved on.

I've been on a Kanye kick of late and listening to Yeezus has been fun this time. Black Skinhead, Blood On The Leaves, Bound 2, On Sight and my favorite New Slaves.

The album has a rawness and anger not seen in Kayne's earlier work. I know many were disappointed with Yeezus back in the day, but it's only gotten better for me.

What are your thoughts on Yeezus today?

Laieon

I don't like it at all. Never been able to get into Kanye though, I've tried multiple times. Dude just does nothing for me.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I've listened to kreezus a lot.

Snagret

Totally agree, it's a brilliant album.

Though I've never been a fan of Kanye as a lyricist and I find it weighs some of the songs down a bit. I think each successive release of his has been a little worse each time in this regard (imo). But he's such a powerful producer that pulls everything together into a really great package.

It's his second best album IMO, after Late Registration, and has my favorite Kanye track on it (Hold My Liquor).

I get why people don't like it, but I dunn curr.

Bound 2 is trash though

giphy.gif

Darko

blood on the leaves and bound 2 are classics.
Black skinhead is aight.. everything else trash tho

Half of it's incredible, the other half is alright.

Hearing Black Skinhead or Onsight for the first time in a while is pretty crazy compared to any of his other stuff.

yananana

I always assumed that people hated Yeezus because it wasn't really what they expected as a follow-up for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy; you know, the harsh production style vs. the more "grandiose" (not sure if that makes sense but I can't find an another word to describe it) one of MBDTF.

I wasn't a fan myself of Yeezus when it dropped but I eventually came to appreciate it (a bit) more later. It's definitely not my favorite Kanye album though.

That would be Life of Pablo.

I'd say (if we count it as a Kanye album) Watch the Throne was noticeably worse.

Really disliked it at first but have grown to appreciate it over the years. Pretty solid album.

This album laid the groundwork for Kanyes greatest album The Life of Pablo in many ways, will always respect that.

LionPride

Banned
I strongly disliked it after the first four times I listened to it besides Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves. Then I started to like Hold my Liquor and New Slaves, now I just about like every track except for Bound 2

I always assumed that people hated Yeezus because it wasn't really what they expected as a follow-up for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy; you know, the harsh production style vs. the more "grandiose" (not sure if that makes sense but I can't find an another word to describe it) one of MBDTF.

The word I see used a lot to describe it is maximalist.

PaulBizkit

"aged"? Didn't it come out four years ago?

Everything prior to 808's (except MBDTF) is top tier IMO, my favorite album being Graduation because it came out during a particularily complicated time of my life. Life Of Pablo sucks, too bad since my name is actually Pablo.

yananana

The word I see used a lot to describe it is maximalist.

Yeah I guess that's a more accurate way to describe it.

"aged"? Didn't it come out four years ago?

Everything prior to 808's (except MBDTF) is top tier IMO, my favorite album being Graduation because it came out during a particularily complicated time of my life. Life Of Pablo sucks, too bad since my name is actually Pablo.

Didn't My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy came after 808's?
The College Dropout and Late Registration are definitely top-tier though, you're right, especially his debut.

NotLiquid

I think it's aged the worst out of his solo albums.

He jumped onto the industrial hip hop bandwagon and despite featuring some production intricacies it's all incredibly facile, and it has none of the lyrical chops to back it up. It's an exercise in self indulgence and one that wears incredibly thin the more you realize Kanye is every bit as obnoxious as the songs would have you imply.

PudieRSC

It's his second best album IMO, after Late Registration, and has my favorite Kanye track on it (Hold My Liquor).

I get why people don't like it, but I dunn curr.

Bound 2 is trash though

My thoughts basically to a T, but replace Hold My Liquor with Black Skinhead.

I also agree TLOP is the first Kanye album I haven't banged for months.

Kyzer

Banned
Ummm yeah kanyes worst works by far. His lyrics are nearing uzi vert or yachty level cheesiness and un-uniqueness. IMO as someone whos been listening to kanye since day 1 it sounded to me like he threw the lyrics together in like a day and was also not really focused on his album at the time either.

Fuck you and your Hampton house
I'll fuck your Hampton spouse
Came on her Hampton blouse
And in her Hampton mouth

😕

Peppered throughout, however, were some true kanye moments. Blood on the leaves is insane.

Zia

Yeah, it's great, his second best after Pablo. Great rebound album after the dull, self-indulgent crap that was MBDTF.

MrS

Banned
I still bump it. Top 3 Ye album with TCD and Graduation (before the h8rs pull me to bits, I think it's good that we all have different Ye albums. It speaks to his artistry).

Top Bottom