• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West's Yeezus has aged like fine wine.

Brinbe

It's mostly shit and lazy, especially the writing, n comparison to his classics. Some of the songs knock, but he can do better.

Explain to me how the album doesn't have purpose when it has a clear thematic string across the project all the way down to the contrasting soothing (while still rough) outro with Bound 2 as a completion of Kanye's journey across the project/reprieve from the violent harshness?

There's the racial thematic thread that goes throughout the project (ex: "the blood on the leaves" lines on New Slaves and it's later return as a song title on the same project and what that means).

Then there's the excessively sexual/bestial lyricism that takes Kanye's sexual deviancy to a level we haven't been privy to on any of his previous projects, along with the classic Kanye relationship troubles (which makes how he wraps it up on Bound 2 even better, not to mention what he does with it on Blood on The Leaves).

This album was a protest/revolt against expectations/confines in the best way possible (which he basically states on On Sight), Kanye put his all into it.

Augh, and I could write for hours on the "Yeezus just rose again" line from Send It Up and that beautiful "memories" outro.
It's pretty much a continuation of his existential struggles from Street Lights that he tackled again on "Lost In The World", where Kanye while not having resolved all of his "beautiful, dark, twisted" issues from the rest of the project for a moment just decided to let go and revel in the existential void and enjoy life with his woman amongst a cacophony of drums, chants, and lights.
Whereas on Send It Up the scenario is brought down to a simple night in the club with Kanye grinding up against a woman which causes his penis (also known as Yeezus) to rise again (like Jesus) which is a triumphant moment within the context of the album (and the catalyst for the relationship resolution on Bound 2), and is followed up by one of Kanye's best vocal samples which brings Kanye's existential issues back to the forefront with a positive message on the power of memories that we "send up and won't come down" and ties back into Kanye's night in the club (Famous, Waves, and Fade are the latest developments in Kanye's existential issues, The Life of Pablo is just filled with crippling nostalgia and sadness).

Yeezus is just too good, the lyrics are perfect, people need to stop acting as though they're actually bad like Pablo's lyrics and flow/voice.

Kanye still had bass in his voice and quality bar placement back on Yeezus.

Sonically, it's just hot garbage. That sample is so poorly used and is grating as fuck.

The video was on the same caliber.

I thought the sample was meant to be rough to fit in with the general grating sound of the album.

ZeoVGM

Banned
A perfect album, just like 808s and MBDTF.

I can't trust anyone who thinks a single album in that trilogy of musical perfection is anything less than great.

XBP

It's kinda hard for me to believe sometimes that quite a few people on gaf don't like Pablo. I absolutely love that album and play it even now.

A perfect album, just like 808s and MBDTF.

I can't trust anyone who thinks a single album in that trilogy of musical perfection is anything less than great.
Say You Will/Dark Fantasy/On Sight
Pinnochio Story/Lost In The World/Bound 2
God it's glorious.

It's kinda hard for me to believe sometimes that quite a few people on gaf don't like Pablo. I absolutely love that album and play it even now.
I love Pablo and still play it regularly, definitely like it more than Graduation and Dropout.
It's just that I believe that aside from a few exceptions it's noticeablely weaker lyrically and vocally compared to pretty much every other Kanye album.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Pablo is a great album but it's also an incohesive mess and was the first Kanye album that didn't have massive staying power for me.

1.MBDTF
2.Yeezus
3.LR
4.College dropout
5.808s
6.graduation
7.tlop

Sorry for devolving into a kanye ranking thread. But I feel like I gotta defend my #2 Yeezus spot. While ye isn't the first to hop on industrial hip hop, his take on it is fantastic imo. The most raw energy the man has ever put on recording is on yeezus. The stripped back, yet also layered production SLAMS. Flows beautifuly at only 10 tracks long-no bullshit.

Glazed

Hold My Liquor to I'm In It to Blood on the Leaves

BJ7ittf.gif

I Am A God has one of Kanye's best verses:
"Soon as they like you make 'em unlike you
Cause kissin' people ass is so unlike you
The only rapper compared to Michael
So here's a few hatin'-ass niggas to fight you
And here's a few snake-ass niggas to bite you
And I don't even wanna hear 'bout what niggas might do
Old niggas mentally still in high school
Since the tight jeans they ain't never liked you
Pink-ass polos with a fuckin' backpack
But everybody know you brought real rap back
Nobody had swag, man, we the Rat Pack
Virgil, Pyrex, Don C snapback
Ibn diamond, Chi-town shinin'
Monop' in this bitch again, changed the climate
Hop in this bitch to give Saint the garment
Until the day I get struck by lightning..."

Incredibly tight rhymes.

IrishNinja

it's a solid album, and time will be even kinder to it since the follow-up was such a disappointment

MBDTF still overrated tho

TLOP was great, what's wrong?

besides the fact it legit feels "rushed" (the biggest critique on yeezus, which was admittedly a temper tantrum at the fashion industry but at least an interesting one), it has a few tracks and otherwise is entirely forgettable.

yeezy's worst effort so far - say what you will about graduation/etc but at least they resonate, if even for a bit

He was the muse, was around for much of the process, his style runs through the whole project.

He's much more trap now, though. La Flame was a lot more eclectic back then.

this means sweet fuckall enzoes

What is this?

perpetual edginess

hughesta

Banned
TLOP is great to me because I really feel like it has a narrative throughout. It ends on Frank's Track, then we get some fun bonus jams, then Saint Pablo comes along as sort of an epilogue for the story

Cipherr

Wait what? This isnt about MBDTF.

Yeezus? Yeezus was terrible. We need to ability to delete posts. I got the album wrong and now this is basically a shitpost because I cant delete.

Yeah, I love it and its probably my second favorite Kanye album. It was pretty much the album that convinced that I should finally like Kanye West after years of thinking he's insanely overrated. The music is fantastic, but what I think people miss is the lyrics, which are absolutely fucking hilarious and insanely memorable. The first time I listened to it and really "got it", I was standing in my room laughing like a complete idiot at every single line he says.

FZZ

Banned
Fuck Kanye

When Kendrick says he's gonna smack a pussy ass nigga and make it look sexy he's talking about Kanye

when he says he's allergic to a bitch nigga, he's talking about Kanye

Look at this fat ass soccer mom looking bih

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Sometimes I think people who grew up listening to hip hop as their main genre of music have less of a tolerance for Kanye West, I know I do. Great as his highs are, he's always been such a pedestrian emcee that he has never been able to penetrate that core and lyrical, almost to the point of being pretentious fan. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

He has been dope in spite of his lack of skills. So when I hear something like Yeezus, which sounds like a whack rappers best effort, it falls short in alot of ways.

y2dvd

When was it released? Shouldn't something have passed 10 to 20 years before asking if it aged like wine lol?

-GJ-

That doesn't mean he only spent two hours on the vocals though. A friend of mine is a rapper and I sometimes record his vocals. What happens is he writes the verses in advance, sometimes records demos, spits the verses over and over again until he remembers them perfectly and then he steps into the recording booth and records the whole verse in a couple takes. Sometimes it's just 1 take, which means that if a verse is 30 seconds long, it only takes a little more than 30 seconds to record. That doesn't mean he came up with the lyrics on the spot or hasn't been practicing them.

Kanye probably made/wrote everything weeks before that, but only recorded the final vocals in those 2 hours, which is pretty common. And even if he wrote them that day, it's not that hard/time consuming to record vocals.

Glazed

Fuck Kanye

When Kendrick says he's gonna smack a pussy ass nigga and make it look sexy he's talking about Kanye

nah he looking thicc af 👀

Bronx-Man

Banned
Fuck Kanye

my boi been eating good

Top Bottom