• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: "PS4 hardware is already profitable"

also an opportunity to revive some kaz gifs rolf

gcebph.gif

BigDug13

Means they could easily price drop to $350 if Microsoft starts catching up.

Outside of NA, I just don't see this happening. Even if MS starts to pull ahead of Sony in NA (which I still doubt), it doesn't mean Sony's lead is going to start shrinking if they continue to dominate in the rest of the world.

It will make for interesting NPD discussion but that's about it.

fred

Means they could easily price drop to $350 if Microsoft starts catching up.

I think they'll drop the price to $350 regardless. Whilst the Xbox One is flopping in Europe it's been doing okay in the States so a $50 price cut should effectively kill off the One in the only territory it's doing okay in. Will mean that the One will go from being a less powerful machine for the same amount of money back to a less powerful machine for more money again.

Edit: Nope, not any more. The Wii U is selling at a profit now.

So, are they having a profit on each unit sold, or they are selling a good amount of games to the point it's already making up for the loss and them some?

Translation of the text in the OP using Google Translate:

"PS4 has recorded a gain in hardware alone already has a business structure that is different from the traditional business platform" Hirai CEO

So I'm thinking it's a profit on each unit sold since games would be "software."

Harlock

More compact and more powerful than the Xbox One. Smaller than the PS3 slim. People at Sony make a impressivo work with that.

Can you please lower the price in Canada to 400$ now then? Some of my friends want to buy the system. :( Crazy how in November the X1 is 100$ more expensive and 8 months later, it will be 50$ cheaper here...

I will wager Sony is going to lower the price of the PS4 by 50$ every November now. They must be printing money then if they're already making money, esp since people tend to buy a game with the system on top half the people likely buying PS+ with their purchase.

Great to know this. Now make it count and use this opportunity wisely, Sony.

This is good news as it will show over time a smart balanced system is far better than gimmicks.
Nailed it. Just give devs and consumers a straight forward and power platform, and let the game makers and the market determine "the next big thing." Hint: it's games. Always games.

Dire

Not really a surprise given that consumers themselves can build PC's that outpower the PS4 for comparable prices already. By a simple economy of scale the PS4 should be absurdly profitable for Sony at $399. But for similar reasons I think this decision to race to profitability could end up severely hurting this gen of consoles in the long run.

MilesTeg

Banned
Wonder if this means that they will be willing to take some kind of loss on their VR headset to help push adoption.

B.O.O.M

Unless Xbone starts to really catch up and sustain some significant momentum sales wise I doubt SOny will cut the PS4 price. There really won't be any reason to

I do wonder if he is referencing the global ASP rather than the US specifically though. The global ASP will be significantly higher than $399 because of strong GBP and EUR performance. A PS4 sold in the UK nets them around $455 on the current wholesale price minus the distributor cut, it is a similar picture in Europe as well, given that around 50% of all PS4's sold are in Europe it will raise the global ASP to around $430, so the revenue derived on PS4 sales could give them a positive gross profit margin on hardware while still selling at below cost in the US.

The current BoM for the CECH-1006A is around $390, in the US Sony's derived revenue per sale is probably lower.

Rflagg

People talking price cut are either joking or missed the latest financial reports form Sony, I think they keep making profit on each ps4 as long as possible.

Dire

Is Wii U still being sold at a loss? Interesting for Sony to be the first to profitability.

Nintendo announced at launch they'd be making a profit after one game sold. I think it's safe to say they probably entered profitable on the hardware alone quite some time ago. Although I'm not sure how fast the manufacturing cost on something like those controllers goes down.

PS4 has recorded a gain in hardware alone already, it is a business structure that is different from the platform traditional business

PS4 hardware is profitable.

PS4, likely to be the platform that produces profits that exceed the PS2

I thought as much. With digital, DLC, and services, their profit should eclipse the PS2 by a lot.

Top Bottom