• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keighley: Epic says UE4 not targeted at Wii U on GTTV, Epic responds [Updated Again]

Basically 3rd party support won't be any better next gen for Nintendo? Thought that'd be an area of focus for them but low tech and the tablet controller tell me it wasn't.

Vinci

Danish
Basically 3rd party support won't be any better next gen for Nintendo? Thought that'd be an area of focus for them but low tech and the tablet controller tell me it wasn't.

How about licensing Havok for everyone under the Sun? Was that a sign of anything? No? You missed that thread? Not surprised. It was positive news, so it disappeared fast.

Effect

"Not targeted at" and "not able to run" seem like two different things to me. It will still be up to developers to tweak and alter the engine to suit their needs.

McLovin

At least it can run ue3. That means the WiiU will get lots of good ports from last gen, most of the current gen stuff, and maybe some 3rd party exclusives from devs that can't afford to make the next gen leap.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I think it really depends on just how much collaboration occurred between sony/MS and Epic.

It's possible that they made modifications or considerations in their platform architecture to better support UE4 and thus Epic will probably not have UE4 ready for other platforms, specifically the Wii-U on launch.

At it's heart, UE is a multiplatform multi-purpose engine. UE3 ran on an iPad, it would be ludicrous to think that UE4 wouldn't in at least some form run on the WiiU. It's obvious the Wii-U is going to be vastly outclassed by those consoles in terms of tech, but I don't think we'll see a a wii->PS3/360 sized gap simply because that would result in the ps3/360 costing far too much money.

I think there might be some truth to it, but only initially.

If the PS4/360-next are really that much more powerful than the Wii-U, get ready to drop 599 USD again.

360 was never more than $399 , more than happy to drop the cash bring it on........

Orayn

Isn't Havok just a Physics Engine?

It's a pretty important piece of middleware that lots of third parties like to use.

"Not targeted at" and "not able to run" seem like two different things to me. It will still be up to developers to tweak and alter the engine to suit their needs.

It's a Wii U thread, dude. You're supposed to assume the worst and then some. :p

Kunan

So, after Geoff's post, this means just that Wii U isn't the target for UE4, not that it can't run on it, right?
It means wait a week. lol

Isn't Havok just a Physics Engine?
What you should take from it is not what it is exactly, but the fact that Nintendo is actively securing middleware for all its developers to make things more painless. So yes, it's important news with regards to third party relations.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I keep hearing everyone say at least we will get ports form this gen. So your telling me everyone with a Wii-U will be happy to get games on the Wii-U that we already played 3 years ago on 360 and PS3??? or am I reading way to much into this??

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
UE4 lowers dev costs.
Lol. No, it doesn't. It at best lowers costs compared to trying to do what it does without it, ie making it all from scratch. That's the major point of using any middleware to begin with, save time and money. It won't reduce costs compared to what they are now. Outside rare cases where some developers may have already been trying to utilise some of these features without any middleware.

In theory you could only take advantage of new features that do improve work flow, ie, fully dynamic lighting (which is hardly next gen/UE4 exclusive mind you) negating the need for baking shadowing into the level via compiling (which is hardly where the big costs stem from, it's just some waiting time during which the devs involved could be doing something else on another computer, they still only merely set the desired light sources and the editor calculates the shadows for them in most engines, they don't hand-draw the shadows or something) but few are going to do just that, most will also have to increase the quality and detail level of all the content to match their competitors and take advantage of the new hardware in more obvious, and costly, ways.

Cygnus X-1

People who expected Nintendo to provide a cutting edge home system never learned during the past 20 years. No - maybe 30 years, since even the almighty NES was built up to be first of all affordable.

Epic knows the actual specs of the Wii-U? I didn't know.

Of course they do.

People who expected Nintendo to provide a cutting edge home system never learned during the past 20 years. No - maybe 30 years, since even the almighty NES was built up to be first of all affordable.

That's a silly thing to say. Wii is the only console they've made that has been way behind in power compared to the competition.

The Hermit

ibfdAne3s8U81u.gif

Orayn

The SNES, N64, and Gamecube were all quite competitive and "cutting edge."

Many here will be massively disappointed. I can see it now.

Personally, and I'm speaking from my own here, I highly doubt Wii U will run anything close to the UE4 demo (from what I've seen so far).

Ho boy.

Cygnus X-1

Crazy thread! This isn't new news guys. When I interviewed Mike Capps at GDC for GTTV, I asked him on camera about whether UE4 was targeted for Wii-U, and he said that no, UE3 is more in line with Wii-U(or something like that). That's all I was referencing in the @ reply.

Thanks for the reply.

Alexios

Personally, and I'm speaking from my own here, I highly doubt Wii U will run anything close to the UE4 demo (from what I've seen so far).
You seem pretty informed, can you tell us more about these things, show us this UE4 demo you've seen and the WiiU specs you've seen which apparently all together prove the system can't handle the engine in any form, rather than that particular content created for the most impressive showcase possible and thus utilising the best components around? Or are you under NDA considering there's been no public UE4 demo, or WiiU spec showcase, yet? I wish I were you for half a day, if so! Because access to that stuff can be the only true reason, I can't imagine that you aren't actually very well informed and mix up unrelated information passed around, like certain recent UE3 based tech demos, and random WiiU spec rumours, that you don't even remember very well yet still proceed to pass judgement, that wouldn't be like you or any other GAFer, I'm sure of it, don't try to tell me otherwise, just don't!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've never understood why people can simultaneously decry the huge increase in development costs and rationalisation of the industry into about three or four publishers as well as calling for huge power increases and $500 consoles.

Did everyone just fall asleep for the last five years? I'm not just talking about forum goers, but the remaining developers, too. A huge amount of devs were wiped out due to rising budgets and the black hole that created in the mid-tier marketplace.

Why is everyone still encouraging that environment?

Higher power consoles allow for more flexible development environments and don't automatically mean higher dev costs. Dynamic lighting for instance can speed up prototyping of levels and cut costs. And higher power combined with better tools means more opportunity for indie developers.

I'm fine with $500 consoles, but they can be $400 too. No idea where people are getting prices from, other than to use as an arbitrary measure to validate a position they are taking in an argument.

Cygnus X-1

The SNES, N64, and Gamecube were all quite competitive and "cutting edge."

That's my point indeed.

And guess what, they sold less than Wii and NES. There seems to be a inverse proportionality relationship between sales and cutting edge processing power. SNES was maybe the exception, but most of all thanks to the Chip Super FX, who extended the life of the SNES - otherwise the system would have sold many millions less in the west.

Wii: 100 millions
NES: 60 millions
SNES: 49 millions
N64: 33 millions
GC: 21 millions

Can Nintendo make a cutting edge system? Absolutely.
Would be the best thing to do for them? Not at all. And this should now be clear - after Wii's crazy sales especially.

Penguin

Well its going to be better off the back just because it will be the first console on the market. So you'll get multi-plat releases of some of the major titles.

And even some of the early PS4/Durango launch titles, which will most likely be up ports of this gen's titles.

Basically, by the time this becomes a major factor (thinking 2-3 years from now), 3rd parties should have a good idea of how viable the platform is for their titles anyhow. If they are doing well, they will continue to find a way to make Wii U games, if they are doing poorly.. well they've dropped support before.

stuminus3

That's a silly thing to say. Wii is the only console they've made that has been way behind in power compared to the competition.
Only because in 1986 they really had no real competition in the console market. The NES was pretty much a little grey box of cheap crap. The Master System was technically more powerful, and the 16-bit home computers at the time made it look like a Magnavox Odyssey in comparison. However the system continued to sell well into the early 1990s, even against systems like the Mega Drive, because everyone simply wanted to play the awesome games on it.

One way or another it's increasingly amusing after all these years seeing generation after generation of people who somehow forget that's what it's all about. Nintendo certainly won't be wowing me with powerful tech. They can give me the games or they can GTFO.

beje

Banned

That "UE4 Demo" was rendered by the highest end computer available with 2x$600 graphics card working in parallel, of course you won't see anything close to it, not even on PC for at least 6 or 7 years.

How about licensing Havok for everyone under the Sun? Was that a sign of anything? No? You missed that thread? Not surprised. It was positive news, so it disappeared fast.

Apples and oranges. Havok has been used on nearly every console for like the last 10 years including the Wii. Yet the Wii still didn't get many of the major 3rd party titles. Wii U may have slightly better 3rd party support but mark my words it won't have parity in quantity and quality (referring to image quality and performance) when it comes to 3rd party titles. Havok backing or not.

rdrr gnr

Higher power consoles allow for more flexible development environments and don't automatically mean higher dev costs. Dynamic lighting for instance can speed up prototyping of levels and cut costs. And higher power combined with better tools means more opportunity for indie developers.

I'm fine with $500 consoles, but they can be $400 too. No idea where people are getting prices from, other than to use as an arbitrary measure to validate a position they are taking in an argument.
They are often (in relevant contexts, of course) thinly-veiled Nintendo apologists.

mantidor

This only started with the Wii, the NES was quite the machine back then, the idea if the NES was to bring the arcade experience into homes.

Alexios

Dat denial.

It's amazing some people still haven't accepted what the WiiU is.
It's denial to claim we don't actually know what it is at this point? Denial is to claim anything but that to promote one's own agenda. Sure, you have say a 50% or 75% chance to be right (and if you're wrong nobody's gonna bother remembering, while if you're right you can hammer it every time you argue with someone about whatever has yet to happen, so the appeal to make these bold claims is there for many GAF members it seems, petty as people can be), everyone is aware of the possibilities, but you still look like an ass when fiercely claiming you have proof based on circumstancial evidence that gets debunked more often than not and on top of that trying to claim everyone who isn't as convinced as you must be some sort of fanboy. Which I'm not saying you have, I can't bother checking your post history and what you've claimed before, though this post of yours seems to lean a certain way too.

So then, what is the WiiU jett, and what's your source beyond gauging possibilities for yourself based on recent history and little else of substance, while utilising this aggressive behaviour over it in mere hopes you're correct? Do tell, kind sir.

Orayn

Dat denial.

It's amazing some people still haven't accepted what the WiiU is.

The only thing that everyone can agree on is that it's an unreleased system with unknown specs, subject to much speculation and rumor-mongering.

KageMaru

I have often seen this hopeful assumption in this thread. With complexity rising in game development, why would a studio divert man power to force an engine to fit in a box? This is especially puzzling if the provider of the middleware can't be bothered to port it down.

IMO a lot of people who are still riding on lost hope are going to be disappointed.

mclem

Apples and oranges. Havok has been used on nearly every console for like the last 10 years including the Wii. Yet the Wii still didn't get many of the major 3rd party titles. Wii U may have slightly better 3rd party support but mark my words it won't have parity in quantity and quality (referring to image quality and performance) when it comes to 3rd party titles. Havok backing or not.

The point is not that Wii U supports Havok, the point is that Wii U developers have *free* licenses to use Havok. That's not insignificant, particularly for the small dev.

Boss Man

Has Bungie explicitly confirmed that Halo 4 won't be on Wii U?

I know some were talking about a possible PC release, but I mean, Wii U is going to be out soon and they'd be silly to miss out on all of those sells.

No console that has already been built will run UE4. Epic has insinuated in all ways possible that it's not going to run on Wii U.

Is it wrong to look forward to the epic meltdowns come E3? I'll only likely own a Wii U next gen, but am expecting a souped up 360. Anything better than that is icing on the cake. I'll only have time to play very few games anyway.

Bring on the meltdowns, woohoo!!

x-Lundz-x

Has Bungie explicitly confirmed that Halo 4 won't be on Wii U?

I know some were talking about a possible PC release, but I mean, Wii U is going to be out soon and they'd be silly to miss out on all of those sells.

No console that has already been built will run UE4. Epic has insinuated in all ways possible that it's not going to run on Wii U.

Bungie isn't making Halo 4, 343i is making Halo 4 and is owned by MS. What does that tell you?

Boss Man

Is it wrong to look forward to the epic meltdowns come E3? I'll only likely own a Wii U next gen, but am expecting a souped up 360. Anything better than that is icing on the cake. I'll only have time to play very few games anyway.

Bring on the meltdowns, woohoo!!
Good for you. You'll probably be more impressed than you expect, while the others all go into damage control mode and revert to pretending like it doesn't actually matter to them.

Bungie isn't making Halo 4, 343i is making Halo 4 and is owned by MS. What does that tell you?
Halo 4 on Wii U confirmed!

Top Bottom