• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

Well I'm struggling with ascend vehicle. I thought I would land it on parachutes, since the atmosphere is so dense. So I'm talking only about surface to orbit... I have a transition vehicle built (at least I think I have, didn't have a chance to test it yet.

I see vector engine allows for ~1.5 TWR with decent amount of fuel, but it is only 1 minute burn with full thrust. And around 2000-3000 dV.

I'm guessing I have to change my approach. So far I have no idea what change it should be though.
If your ascent stage isn't just an external control seat sitting on top of a stack of fuel tanks, then you can always go lighter.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What was the engine before Unity 5? Custom in-house?

MadYarpen

Is anyone having problems with KSP crashing all the time? Since recent update it is almost unplayable for me. I don't have many mods, only KER, docking port alignment... I think that's all.

MadYarpen

Dr.-Who.gif

Not what I wanted to read.

danthefan

I just came to this thread to talk about crashing. It has just begun for me out of nowhere today. I've been playing 1.1 for some days now with no issue, but just now I've had two crashes in 10 mins. I don't have any mods installed. This is very disappointing :(

MadYarpen

Yeah, I have some ideas for missions but I don't even start. Sometimes it crashes during ship construction. For example at one time it was always crashing when I was putting 4 nuclear engines on. some other - when I was putting solid fuel thrusters. Some other time - when I was opening fairing of the rocket in the vacuum.

Shame. I really like this game:(

danthefan

After two crashes today it ran fine for me then. I'm still a total newbie so I'm practicing how to get into orbit and home reliably, I have a mission to ferry some tourists into orbit so trying to get the hang of it including the extra passenger cabin.

GodofWine

I just came to this thread to talk about crashing. It has just begun for me out of nowhere today. I've been playing 1.1 for some days now with no issue, but just now I've had two crashes in 10 mins. I don't have any mods installed. This is very disappointing :(

Try setting your FPS Limit to the highest number available. I did this on two laptops, one of which may be an actual potato, and no more crashing.

Something about the multi threaded new engine maybe getting the cart in front of the horse sometimes, and removing any frame limits may help.

or maybe the horse needs moar boosters.

MadYarpen

Try setting your FPS Limit to the highest number available. I did this on two laptops, one of which may be an actual potato, and no more crashing.

Something about the multi threaded new engine maybe getting the cart in front of the horse sometimes, and removing any frame limits may help.

or maybe the horse needs moar boosters.

Will try it!

GodofWine

danthefan

This has really got it's hooks into me now managed my first Mun flyby today and returned to Kerbin which was a nice milestone.

The next set of contacts are stuff like landings and rescues so no damn clue how to go about them, but we'll give it a go. Might have to return to the tutorials for a while.

danthefan

Dock, just can't do it. It's fucking impossible. I can get to within about 100m of the other craft but can't get in beyond that. Very frustrating.

MadYarpen

Dock, just can't do it. It's fucking impossible. I can get to within about 100m of the other craft but can't get in beyond that. Very frustrating.

Patience, my friend.

My tip - use target direction on the navball only when your ship is not moving, until you are very close.

Say you are 2km away, click target, then switch to stabilization only and turn rcs on, accelerate. RCS off, then click prograde. When you are like 500m away, switch to stabilisation again, switch RCS on and press n to stop. Then aim to target and repeat, all above.

Of course navball should be in target mode.

Keep RSC off most of the time an use it only to goforwards/backwards.

It is all about understanding what is going on and what controls do. Then it's fun.

danthefan

Patience, my friend.

My tip - use target direction on the navball only when your ship is not moving, until you are very close.

Say you are 2km away, click target, then switch to stabilization only and turn rcs on, accelerate. RCS off, then click prograde. When you are like 500m away, switch to stabilisation again, switch RCS on and press n to stop. Then aim to target and repeat, all above.

Of course navball should be in target mode.

Keep RSC off most of the time an use it only to goforwards/backwards.

It is all about understanding what is going on and what controls do. Then it's fun.

Rather than just going straight for docking, I'm doing the rescue missions in career mode. I can now get really close to the other craft and kill my speed, then EVA over. I'll do 3 or 4 such missions and when I'm happy I'll try dock again. I've really learned today about moving around my prograde/retrograde with respect to the target, it helps a ton.

DBT85

If possible, learn to dock with a tiny little ship. Like an octo probe core, a tub of RCS, 4 RCS thrusters, a tub of fuel and a tiny engine. The more responsive the craft is the easier it is to do. Once you've done it a few times you'll start to wonder what took you so long.

Still playing, and improving.

I installed a few mods to look at Delta-V and TWR numbers. And, I looked at pictures of various rockets (as well as watching Apollo 13 and For All Mankind) and I've gotten better at rocket designs.

Here's my current rocket:

HM9JFB6.png

And here's the Delta-V for it:

iZPKuUV.png

Stage 11 and 10 are for getting into orbit. Stage 8 corrects it (and leaves me with half a tank full, roughly). Stage 4 is upside-down and is my lander, and stage 2 is my planet orbiter/returner. I leave stage 2 in orbit while stage 4 undocks, lands, and redocks.

So, with this rocket, I can get to Mun, Minmus, and Duna very easily. I get to orbit, and escape using only states 11,10, and 8. Stage 4 lands with PLENTY of fuel while stage 2 sits in orbit. I then dock, transfer crew and fuel, and return home with fuel to spare. I've done this a few times and worry little (assuming I'm launching at appropriate times using online map calculators). Heck, with Duna, I'm landing without using any fuel from the lander, so it has almost 2.5 times needed. And even once in an emergency (I packed 1 too many Kerbals on my flight) I was able to land on Kerbin with the lander using no fuel and no heat shield. I'm happy with my orbiter and lander!

The thing is, I can't seem to land on any other planets. I run out of fuel getting home from Dres after landing, and I once tried Eeloo, but I didn't have enough fuel to get into an orbit with that planet (I could probably have made it just doing a flyby, but eh). Haven't tried any of the other planet like Eve.

Am I just wasting too much fuel getting to Dres/Eeloo? Should I theoretically be able to get there and land and back? Stage 8 uses a Rhino engine, but I see no real DV gains when switching engines (plus the burns take too long to do with smaller engines).

Even with a full tank (I hacked this to do it quickly, but I could easily do this via a small refueling station and docking) I still can't do it with stages 8, 2, and 4 all full. That would be roughly 6000 Delta V in Kerbin orbit. Still not enough?

(I'm probably carrying 4 times as much monopropellant as needed, but I'm still not the best at docking, and I'd rather be safe than sorry)

You might get a bit more effective Delta-V out of that if your two side stages also feed fuel your main stage. You'll drop them a little earlier in your takeoff but you'll be lighter and with a bit more fuel for the ascent.

Also, nice to see this tread bumped, I need to get back into this a bit. I got kind of frustrated with my Career because I kind of don't like how the tech tree is laid out. I feel there's too little to do when you're in the middle of the tree. You kind of end up just doing a bunch of Mun/Minimus landings because you don't really have the ability to make effective interplanetary trips.

You might get a bit more effective Delta-V out of that if your two side stages also feed fuel your main stage. You'll drop them a little earlier in your takeoff but you'll be lighter and with a bit more fuel for the ascent.

Also, nice to see this tread bumped, I need to get back into this a bit. I got kind of frustrated with my Career because I kind of don't like how the tech tree is laid out. I feel there's too little to do when you're in the middle of the tree. You kind of end up just doing a bunch of Mun/Minimus landings because you don't really have the ability to make effective interplanetary trips.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that and added another tank to the sides. I forgot to mention, but the sides and the main engine are firing at launch, so it's just not the sides that are providing lift.

When I get into orbit, I'm left with about ~5500 delta V. Here she is up in orbit of around 80-100Km.

UzgVLre.png

Also, I just tried and I can go to Minmus then Mun and then back home, landing on both moons just fine with lots of fuel to spare all on a single launch. I just can't get to things past Duna. Duna and everything within Kerbin is now a breeze.

MadYarpen

Still playing, and improving.

I installed a few mods to look at Delta-V and TWR numbers. And, I looked at pictures of various rockets (as well as watching Apollo 13 and For All Mankind) and I've gotten better at rocket designs.

Here's my current rocket:

HM9JFB6.png

And here's the Delta-V for it:

iZPKuUV.png

h
Why don't you put fairing around the crew pod as well? It's not like kerbals need to see anything;) it should improve aero a little.

r1chard

Right, firing up KSP for the first time post 1.1 (since this mission basically)... and it crashes horribly. Probably because of the mods :-D

Fire up CKAN to update them, it crashes constantly trying to fix up the mod list. Remove the whole damn lot, start from scratch. CKAN far more stable, mod list far more sane.

The one mod I can't have that I'm really going to miss? Aviation lights. Might have to install it manually. Looks like a few mods aren't being kept up to date in CKAN metadata :-(

Will see how it goes once I have finished downloading 'em all :)

I need to fire of KSP again. It's been too long and reading all the news about Juno has be jonsing to play. Factorio has recently been my go to when I fire up Steam.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i want to get back into this. i played about 30 hours and only know how to get into orbit around earth. i did once get near the moon but by the time i got to it's orbit i had missed it and also had no way to get back to earth.

i want to get back into this. i played about 30 hours and only know how to get into orbit around earth. i did once get near the moon but by the time i got to it's orbit i had missed it and also had no way to get back to earth.

Def give it another try.You are right on the cusp of a Mun landing which is crazy rewarding. Resolving the fuel issues of Mun and back is a big part of the trial and error.

Grinchy

Banned

Are you playing career mode? If you are, you definitely want to upgrade the tracking station as early as you can. Trying to get around without any kind of flight planning or patched conics is a huge frustration.

Also don't be afraid to start career mode over. I've started over a half dozen times or so and now I can make progress very quickly.

You may also want to check into some of Scott Manley's youtube tutorials. I did that really early on to help get into orbits more efficiently and then I kinda self-taught from there. I bet if I went and looked into some more tutorials I'd be a beast at the game.

r1chard

Couldn't get the game working even (nothing at all coming up in the tech tree or VAB parts list) after I uninstalled all the mods. I've been playing KSP for over 600 hours, so it's probably a 1.1 upgrade issue. Nuked the game, reinstalled, and now it works with no mods. Got some mods installing now...

Edit: yep, got the mods installed and they're mostly all working just fine. Except the highest-level Kerbin ground detail doesn't render at all. Which means the KSC is just kinda floating over this black void. This makes career mode quite sucky due to the inability to farm for science around KSC. I'll look into trying to narrow down which mod is causing it tomorrow. I don't have EVE or any other visual enhancer mod installed, so it's quite perplexing...

Framerate is one thing, but playing this with a controller? I am sceptical.

It shouldn't be too bad. Make the controller a mouse cursor in VAB, flying the ships with a controller is actually fun, I have done that on PC. Then they just need some smart shortcuts and node controls in the map and it should be serviceable.

r1chard

Right, uninstalled all the mods. Ground still doesn't render properly :-( Upgrading video card drivers now...

Ahah! Solved, via this forum post, I had "-force-opengl" in my launch options from ... years back I guess. Removing that fixed the issue.

Edit: I see a bunch of the old bugs are still in the game... sometimes can't add manoeuvre nodes, editing them is still terribad (even just pausing the game while editing them would be an improvement), the tracking station still sometimes jumps off into the deep unknown, showing no planets...

Grinchy

Banned
The trailer has some really low framerate being shown. I appreciate them showing actual console footage in the console trailer, but it does make me think I'll just stick with PC. Especially if they add the console controller support to the PC version.

The trailer has some really low framerate being shown. I appreciate them showing actual console footage in the console trailer, but it does make me think I'll just stick with PC. Especially if they add the console controller support to the PC version.

I expect pretty poor framerate issues on PS4, and even worse on XB1. Maybe a few patches will sort it out, but Unity on consoles has been a bad mix. I will be buying it day one one PS4 because I love KSP and I want to see how it runs for myself. I will be sharing impressions in this thread or maybe starting another one. If the framerate issues don't hit until you start building large space stations, that will be doable. But if you can't piece together a few early monstrosities to experiment with, that will be troublesome.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I expect pretty poor framerate issues on PS4, and even worse on XB1. Maybe a few patches will sort it out, but Unity on consoles has been a bad mix.

That’s a shame, because the new PC version is running exceptionally well for me. Best it’s ever run IMHO.

That’s a shame, because the new PC version is running exceptionally well for me. Best it’s ever run IMHO.

I am hoping these changes will be present in console release, and that the trailer was cut from an older version. I have faith Squad will get consoles up to a snuff at some point. Sometimes release windows need to be hit and they have to just put it out there and then patch later. Either way, I think it will do wonders for this game to get it out on consoles regardless. I wonder what the price point will be.

Top Bottom