• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

It's up on the UK store.

But holy heck if it doesn't stutter, I've watched a couple of live streams and it pauses and hitches all over the place :-/

Any sense of comparison between PS4 and XB1 yet? I have been playing KSP since .15, and only recently have they really improved performance by a major leap. Shit framerates and stuttering is not a deal breaker for me so I might not be the best judge. If you don't see yourself getting a PC that can run this any time soon, and you really want to play KSP, I'd say don't hesitate on the console version (at least PS4, not sure yet if XB1 is better or worse). There is a ton to enjoy and nothing is broken yet. Definitely some bugs that aren't on PC release, but I am confident Squad will see that they get fixed.

danowat

Banned
I'll retract what I said about the performance of the XBO version, it must have been the streams.

I've done most of the tutorials and a couple of career flights and the performance has been pretty good, hardly any stutters or pauses so far.

MadYarpen

I'll retract what I said about the performance of the XBO version, it must have been the streams.

I've done most of the tutorials and a couple of career flights and the performance has been pretty good, hardly any stutters or pauses so far.

thing with ksp is that the more complex ship, the more demanding it is for cpu. So early flights don't mean this much.

danowat

Banned
thing with ksp is that the more complex ship, the more demanding it is for cpu. So early flights don't mean this much.
One of the advanced tutorials had a reasonably complex ship, but yeah, I get that point.

Edit : just a few tips from a new console player.

1) reduce mouse cursor speed in the options

2) remember that LB will slow the mouse cursor down for precision.

3) increase UI size in the options, makes it much easier to read.

GodofWine

I've sandboxed things big enough to go anywhere (I failed to make it that far due to critical structural flaws :) ), and while not perfect, I'll be damned, it runs 'good enough'.

danowat

Banned
OK, dumb question.

I accepted some survey report missions, I can see the site on the map, is there anyway I can get the site to show on the navball to assist me with navigating to said site? Finding it a bit hard to direct the rocket to the site.

MadYarpen

OK, dumb question.

I accepted some survey report missions, I can see the site on the map, is there anyway I can get the site to show on the navball to assist me with navigating to said site? Finding it a bit hard to direct the rocket to the site.

you can, I think you need to set is as a target.

vewn

Messing around in DarkMultiPlayer with friends is one of the most entertaining things I've experienced so far in this game. It's a shame it crashes a lot.

MadYarpen

How do I do that? If I select the target in the map it doesn't give me the option to set it as a target, it just pops up what the target is called and sends my XBO to about 5fps.

Sorry, I can't help you... I only play on PC, and all I know I could make targets appear on the navball in the survey missions :(

danowat

Banned
The console versions are a bit of a chore to play, but it's too be expected really, pretty amazing they got the controls distilled down to a controller in the first place.

I want to keep upgrading my Minimus base, but I'm not getting any good contracts to do it. After putting down the first part, the next three contracts just said to expand it by 5 living space, so I threw down three more of the same module. I finally just got a contract to add more living space plus a cupola so I put that tower on top. But I'm thinking I might remove it and put a smaller one in since the tower kind of leans a bit.

903hMa4.jpg

r1chard

I want to keep upgrading my Minimus base, but I'm not getting any good contracts to do it. After putting down the first part, the next three contracts just said to expand it by 5 living space, so I threw down three more of the same module. I finally just got a contract to add more living space plus a cupola so I put that tower on top. But I'm thinking I might remove it and put a smaller one in since the tower kind of leans a bit.

903hMa4.jpg

Nice work!

So in my getting back into things I've noticed two really annoying game bugs:

1. When I send a mission out to intercept Minmus (possibly also Mun, I've not tested), I can't add a maneuver node to do micro adjustments to the trajectory once I've done the initial burn from Kerbin. I can add nodes to the trajectory after during Minmus intercept, and the one after intercept, but not the trajectory leading up to intercept. Has anyone else seen that?

2. Making planes with the initial tech nodes (so the fixed landing gear) I can't seem to make a plane that doesn't start wobbling once they hit about 20m/s on the runway. Most of them need over 40m/s to actually leave the ground, so the result is that a small fraction of take-offs end up going off the side of the runway. Landing is especially tricky, as braking also results in significant wobble, and I lose most of my planes to crashes due to that.

I've tried to search what might be the cause of #2 and people seem to suggest that part rotation could be an issue, but my landing gear is fixed directly to the fuselage, without rotation...

I have mods installed, but I can't see how any of them would affect the above (I'm not using modded parts in the test craft).

2. Making planes with the initial tech nodes (so the fixed landing gear) I can't seem to make a plane that doesn't start wobbling once they hit about 20m/s on the runway. Most of them need over 40m/s to actually leave the ground, so the result is that a small fraction of take-offs end up going off the side of the runway. Landing is especially tricky, as braking also results in significant wobble, and I lose most of my planes to crashes due to that.

Try moving the gears further apart. Maybe even all the way to the tips of your wings

r1chard

Try moving the gears further apart. Maybe even all the way to the tips of your wings
I've just done some experimentation and my unmodded KSP (on OSX) doesn't have the problem with a simple test craft. I'm going to poke at my mods list on my modded KSP to see if I can narrow down the culprit. I'm not using FAR or any other physics-altering mod (as far as I know) so hmm....

Edit: removed all my mods, did a cache check (2 files "restored") and reinstalled all the mods slowly... wobble gone, even the braking wobble.

Edit: wow, the new wheel implementation in 1.1 is soooo much better for rovers than the old wheels!

Ok. Here's the ship I made to get to Eeloo, land, and return in one uninterrupted trip.

Here's part 1: This gets me up most of the way to an 80km orbit around Kerbin. The side rockets and main thruster are all firing. Once depleted halfway up, the side rockets (all four) are jettisoned.

Here's part 2: This section gets me the rest of the way up to 80km and has enough juice left to get me into a fairly circular orbit (78-82km). In the photo, it's basically the bottom half of the rocket.

Here's part 3: This transfers me to Eeloo and is supposed to get me into an orbit around Eeloo. However, I ran out of fuel in this stage and had to use my orbiter and lander. The stage that I wanted to get me to Eeloo and burn retrograde to get me into orbit is on the left side of the photo. The orbiter and lander are on the right.

Here are parts 4 and 5: This is the lander and orbiter docked together after jettisoning from part 3. The lander is on the left, orbiter on the right. The lander is capable of landing on Duna, Mun, Minmus, and Eeloo with plenty of fuel to get back into orbit. In one emergency, I was able to use it to get back from Mun and land on Kerbin on its own. I love my lander! The orbiter stays in orbit while the lander lands. Then, I transfer everyone back to the orbiter, transfer any remaining fuel, and return to Kerbin, and land. However, I had to use almost half the fuel from the Orbiter and Lander to get into an orbit around Eeloo, so I was coming in on fumes when I landed on Kerbin.

So, I'm thinking part 3 is where I need to add more fuel, and problem then part 1 to compensate, to make sure I can get in an orbit around Eeloo without using parts 4 and 5. But, as it stands, this is the best ship I've made so far! Any design tweaks or suggestions are welcome. Oh, and just ignore the engine firing on the last photo. Really, the orbiter's engine should be in use, but I forgot to disable the lander engine after docking, so it's just a messed up photo on my part.

danowat

Banned
Couple of question from a newbie if I may, I have looked for answers, and watched Scott Manleys videos, but I still have some queries, sorry if these are common questions, but this "game" is blowing my mind a bit!.

1) How is the best way to slow a command module for re-entry?, is it just a case of making sure the re-entry path isn't too steep?, if it is too steep what can you do to correct it?

2) I have a mission to fire a swivel engine in the sea, how can I land in the see with the engine intact?, every time I splashdown, even at 5-6m/s, the engine gets destroyed on splashdown.

3) I am confused about getting science from the science JR module and the goo canisters, once I have operated them, is the data stored?, can I operate them more than once in a launch and get the science from each one? , same with the goo canister, I see the crew report is limited to one report, without either overwriting the previous report, or transmitting the data.

4) Does the science Jr and goo canister have to survive re-entry to be able to retrieve the data that you have gathered during a launch?

danthefan

Couple of question from a newbie if I may, I have looked for answers, and watched Scott Manleys videos, but I still have some queries, sorry if these are common questions, but this "game" is blowing my mind a bit!.

1) How is the best way to slow a command module for re-entry?, is it just a case of making sure the re-entry path isn't too steep?, if it is too steep what can you do to correct it?

Yeah make sure you come in at an angle, put a heatshield on the bottom, and point yourself retrograde. I like to put drogue parachutes on too in case I land over mountains or something, they can work at a much higher speed than your main chute, but won't slow you down enough to land. So use those, they will slow you down enough to deploy the main chute. If you're too steep by the time your command module is in the atmosphere... well I think you're shit out of luck, sorry. You have no power to maneuver at that stage.

2) I have a mission to fire a swivel engine in the sea, how can I land in the see with the engine intact?, every time I splashdown, even at 5-6m/s, the engine gets destroyed on splashdown.

Never heard of this one, sorry. If a mission seems crappy then just don't bother with it imo.

3) I am confused about getting science from the science JR module and the goo canisters, once I have operated them, is the data stored?, can I operate them more than once in a launch and get the science from each one? , same with the goo canister, I see the crew report is limited to one report, without either overwriting the previous report, or transmitting the data.

So, there are some science equipment that can be reused, and some that can't, by a pilot. If you only have a pilot then the Science Jnr is a one time use thing. You will get the full amount of science from it as long as it survives and you recover it. What is a better option is to use one of your Kerbals to take the data from it and store it in the command module. That way all you need is for the command module to survive to gain the full science amount. If you're in space you can do this while on EVA, right click the science equipment in question, take data, right click on command module, store experiment.

A scientist can reset the Science Jnr and the Goo Cannisters. The thermometers and pressure sensor can be used over and over again but you'll only get more science if you're in a different biome.

4) Does the science Jr and goo canister have to survive re-entry to be able to retrieve the data that you have gathered during a launch?

As above yes, if you don't extract the data. But you should extract the data.

danowat

Banned
Thanks for that.

Still a little confused with the science thing, the only way to extract the data from each is via EVA then?, if I can't yet EVA in space, could I put the science jr and goo canisters on a separate stage with it's own chutes to ensure their survivability?.

I guess I should be using a scientist in my early craft instead of a pilot anyway? (I assume the main difference is that a scientist can't use SAS?)

1- Heat shield. Just put your periapse at 30-45 KM and watch it burn. If you get the periapse too low you will need to raise it, so hopefully you still have some fuel or monopropellant. If you've already ditched those you could maybe get a little bit of lift if you angle the craft slightly with the heatshield towards the surface. This is what NASA did for the Apollo missions but the effect is a bit too weak in KSP.

2- slow down more. Or cheese it, make a rover and drive it into the sea

3,4- Your kerbals can collect data from your experiments during EVA so you don't need the part anymore. (Scott Manly does it here: https://youtu.be/MHt162az5Y8?t=386) You could transmit this data with an antenna. If you have a scientist you can reset experiments.

danthefan

Thanks for that.

Still a little confused with the science thing, the only way to extract the data from each is via EVA then?, if I can't yet EVA in space, could I put the science jr and goo canisters on a separate stage with it's own chutes to ensure their survivability?.

I guess I should be using a scientist in my early craft instead of a pilot anyway? (I assume the main difference is that a scientist can't use SAS?)

I don't think I've ever tried to fly without SAS, but it's so much harder that I really really really wouldn't recommend it. A goo canister on your command module, and a science jnr on the bottom of your command module with a heatshield attached should have no problem surviving reentry, if you come in at a reasonable angle.

Are you able to get into orbit? When you deorbit, let your periapsis reach about 30km and stop firing your engines. That should be plenty to get you down to the ground.

danowat

Banned
Are you able to get into orbit? When you deorbit, let your periapsis reach about 30km and stop firing your engines. That should be plenty to get you down to the ground.

I think that this is mostly my issue, the first career I started I got very, very close to an orbit, was only a few seconds away from hitting a stable orbit before I ran out of fuel, but I deleted that career because I spent all my money on a building upgrade that I didn't need, I was trying to target a waypoint on the map, and assumed I needed to upgrade the tracking station to be able to do so, I later found out that it's a bug with the console versions and the map isn't working properly!.

I need to concentrate more on my initial flight path to get a better re-entry path, if I know that it's possible to re-enter with a command module, a science jr and goo canisters (with a heat shield) then I should be able to do it, I tried this morning, but was going way too fast, the stage survived re-entry heating (without heat shield) but was just going far too fast for the chute, which promptly ripped off.

Haven't had a game get under my skin as much as this one has in a long time.........

danthefan

I think that this is mostly my issue, the first career I started I got very, very close to an orbit, was only a few seconds away from hitting a stable orbit before I ran out of fuel, but I deleted that career because I spent all my money on a building upgrade that I didn't need, I was trying to target a waypoint on the map, and assumed I needed to upgrade the tracking station to be able to do so, I later found out that it's a bug with the console versions and the map isn't working properly!.

I need to concentrate more on my initial flight path to get a better re-entry path, if I know that it's possible to re-enter with a command module, a science jr and goo canisters (with a heat shield) then I should be able to do it, I tried this morning, but was going way too fast, the stage survived re-entry heating (without heat shield) but was just going far too fast for the chute, which promptly ripped off.

Haven't had a game get under my skin as much as this one has in a long time.........

A rough ascent profile that works for me is to just point straight up until you hit about 7000m and then turn east (navball reading should be 90 degrees) and just follow the prograde marker, maybe stay a tiny bit behind it. Keep checking your map, if you're catching up with your apoapsis marker then you've turned too far horizontal and need to get a bit more vertical. I don't know if this is the most efficient way to launch but it does me.

Another tip, if you're travelling too quickly during takeoff you're just wasting fuel. There is zero need to be going faster than about 250-300 m/s while your under 10,000m altitude, if you're going above that at a low altitude then throttle back. Once you get above about 10,000m then hit full power.

It is 100% possible to reenter with the science module on the bottom of your command module. But you MUST have a heatshield on the bottom of the science module, can't stress than enough.

If you were going too fast for your chute then as I mentioned before, use a drogue chute as well as a main chute. The drogue can open safely at 400m/s+.

Edit - one other thing, don't get frustrated. It's a difficult game, after you nail the orbit a few times, you will get it every single time.

danowat

Banned
A rough ascent profile that works for me is to just point straight up until you hit about 7000m and then turn east (navball reading should be 90 degrees) and just follow the prograde marker, maybe stay a tiny bit behind it. Keep checking your map, if you're catching up with your apoapsis marker then you've turned too far horizontal and need to get a bit more vertical. I don't know if this is the most efficient way to launch but it does me.

Another tip, if you're travelling too quickly during takeoff you're just wasting fuel. There is zero need to be going faster than about 250-300 m/s while your under 10,000m altitude, if you're going above that at a low altitude then throttle back. Once you get above about 10,000m then hit full power.

It is 100% possible to reenter with the science module on the bottom of your command module. But you MUST have a heatshield on the bottom of the science module, can't stress than enough.

If you were going too fast for your chute then as I mentioned before, use a drogue chute as well as a main chute. The drogue can open safely at 400m/s+.

Edit - one other thing, don't get frustrated. It's a difficult game, after you nail the orbit a few times, you will get it every single time.

Thanks everyone, I'll give all those tips a try, I think I'll have a few days break from it, because it was getting just a touch too frustrating!, the control scheme on the console makes it doubly so, it's a bit of a wrestle.

MadYarpen

Thanks everyone, I'll give all those tips a try, I think I'll have a few days break from it, because it was getting just a touch too frustrating!, the control scheme on the console makes it doubly so, it's a bit of a wrestle.

wait for docking in orbit;)

danthefan

wait for docking in orbit;)

Ahhh here don't scare the poor guy off!

I have a question of my own actually - I'm still relatively early in career mode, I've been to the Mun and Minmus and I can get there and back no problem. I believed there should have been an explore Duna contract that kicked off trips to Duna but it hasn't appeared for me. Do I need to complete a certain contract to get that one? I might just try head to Duna anyway but be nice to have a contract for it.

Quite limited with parts at the start of career, so , I might try cheesing it with a separate stage to get me nice and slow before ditching it.

Do you have a decoupler yet? Just put a trash stage below an engine you are saving for test, like an empty small fuel tank. From top to bottom, chute, command module, small tank, swivel engine, decoupler, small empty fuel tank (to take the impact hit), decoupler, small solid rocket booster. Should be simple enough, just immediately aim 90 degrees east with the solid rocket booster, which should be more than enough to get you over the water.

Ok. Here's the ship I made to get to Eeloo, land, and return in one uninterrupted trip...snip

Great looking ship. That thing is massive.

MadYarpen

Ahhh here don't scare the poor guy off!

I have a question of my own actually - I'm still relatively early in career mode, I've been to the Mun and Minmus and I can get there and back no problem. I believed there should have been an explore Duna contract that kicked off trips to Duna but it hasn't appeared for me. Do I need to complete a certain contract to get that one? I might just try head to Duna anyway but be nice to have a contract for it.

I don't think there is anything you need to do, to get such contract. I might be wrong though. However, if you go to Duna without a contract, make sure to check if there are any new contracts before you enter duna's sphere of influence - the travel takes time of months or even years, so some may appear.

Arrggh PS4 is buggy as hell! So many crash bugs and bugs that require exiting the game to fix.

I've managed to play quite a bit of it though in career mode. Though my first carrer got corrupt and it forced me to delete it. I've Landed on the Mun and Minmus in my second carrer. But so far the hardest contract I conpleted with this interface and the ps4 controler was rendezvous. Just a pain to fine tune maneuvers with tumb sticks.

I don't know why I keep playing it. I guess I am glutton for punishment.

Arrggh PS4 is buggy as hell! So many crash bugs and bugs that require exiting the game to fix.

I've managed to play quite a bit of it though in career mode. Though my first carrer got corrupt and it forced me to delete it. I've Landed on the Mun and Minmus in my second carrer. But so far the hardest contract I conpleted with this interface and the ps4 controler was rendezvous. Just a pain to fine tune maneuvers with tumb sticks.

I don't know why I keep playing it. I guess I am glutton for punishment.

Not sure if you know it, but you can fine tune maneuver nodes by mousing over them and hitting up and down on the D-pad. You can also enter the fine control adjustment when flying or in RCS by holding L1orR1 and hitting L3. There are def more bugs than I would have hoped for in the console launch. Really need to see Squad coming out saying they are on it or I might have to change my recommendation to a "wait and see."

How much have Squad got to do with the port? Considering it was done by Flying Tiger.

It's still their game and they have dedicated sections to it on their forums. They aren't just deflecting everything to Flying Tiger. I expect Squad to be the ones making the announcements about roadmaps and then Flying Tiger being the ones to do the work. I am not sure the relationship between the two companies, but so far it has not seemed like Squad is passing the buck. Hopefully we get some info soon on patches.

Top Bottom